Magnavox console amp 6BQ5

acresm22

Re: Magnavox console amp 6BQ5
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2008, 06:10 pm »
Thanks, Doug.

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2008, 08:05 pm »
Great sound, low investment, and perhaps low SAF, that is how I would characterize the Maggie.  I cannot speak for other vintage variants, I have not tried any.

In fact, as I shared with Brad in PM, I have not unplugged this amp EVER, since it arrived.  It entered my system, and has never left.  I know I should replace the caps (I even bought the Sonicaps required) and the metal can caps too, and I KNOW I should get the RCA's and binding posts updated - BUT, I just cannot bring myself to part with the little bugger, even for a week!

SET Man

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2008, 04:05 am »
Hey!

Guys, can I join this Magnavox SE EL84 console amp club? :lol:

Here is my Magnavox SE EL84...

Brad I think I have the same amp model as your :D

This one have 6EU7 input, EL84 output and 6CA4 rectifier. The picture showing the amp during testing after I soldered the yellow cable that you see. Since the input sockets are too close together I solder the yellow cable with RCA socket on the other end so I could connect it with my own interconnector cables. It is hook up to an old tiny speaker I salvaged from an old Apple iMac. The amp work just fine with my pre driving it.

Although I have not hook it up to my main speaker yet. But I did hook it up to my smaller speaker in my second system before and it sounded very good. No it is not the same league as my SET monoblocks, but very very nice sweet sounding amp. I will have to make some speaker connection to replace those gators clips so I could make a good connection to my main system. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

ejfud

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2008, 04:30 am »
Don't post a ton here, but love the old Maggies and wanted to share my recent creation.

This is a 93XX series el84 amp and sounds stunning. Made a matching passive to serve the volume control duties as well.

Anybody have a 138 mono they won't be using?

Gary

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2008, 04:45 am »
Very nice.! :thumb:

Whitese

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2008, 04:47 am »
Who did the nice woodwork? I wouldnt mind that for my Pilot amps and Allen amp...beautiful amp you made!!

ejfud

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2008, 12:01 am »
Woodwork done by myself and amp building done by a friend.

Gary

Dmason

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2008, 12:31 am »
Did you take the existing circuit and tap a new chassis, for the symmetrical placement of the tubes? I am not sure I understand whether this is an original or a build of the Cochrane Maggie PP circuit...inquiring minds want to know.

Brad

« Reply #28 on: 5 Mar 2008, 12:32 am »
Hey Buddy,

Yep - same amp.
I ordered a switch, binding posts, and some RCA's today.
I also won the matching preamp/tuner that I may/may not use with this project.

For $100, great platform to learn and play around on.

ejfud

« Reply #29 on: 5 Mar 2008, 12:36 am »
It was an original console amplifier. Model 9302 I believe. The chassis was pretty rough so we went all out with a new layout and chassis plate.

Just wanted a little cool factor for the old Maggie.

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2008, 03:00 am »
Hey Buddy,

Yep - same amp.
I ordered a switch, binding posts, and some RCA's today.
I also won the matching preamp/tuner that I may/may not use with this project.

For $100, great platform to learn and play around on.

Hey!

What's your plan Brad? Are you keeping the chassis and put connectors on it? Or making new chassis for it?

I got my mine a while back. Actually I don't know if you noticed it when you came over to my place last time. :D

I was planning to make a new chassis for it... something fun. With new parts. Than maybe put volume control in it as a passive, but not sure if that will work.  :scratch:

But right now I'm not so sure if I will ever get to do that. I might have to sell it and put money to good use somewhere else. :? Well, let's see :D

Good luck with yours and keep us posted on the result. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Brad

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2008, 03:14 am »
Buddy,

I'm going to build it into a antique console radio of my wife's.
With a tuner and an Apple airport express as the inputs.
The console has an open back, so I will likely use some 8" or 10" full range high efficiency high qts drivers in "OB"

I need to take and post some pics of the console - it is really nice   1920s or 1930s vintage.

Lyndon

« Reply #32 on: 5 Mar 2008, 04:23 am »
Did this thread ever bring back memories of an amp "shootout in Bountiful" two years ago....
Mark summed it up well with these comments:

'The surprise amp at the shootout was a Magnavox 12 watt 6BQ5 based tube amp brought by Dave W. This was rescued from a Magnavox stereo console that Dave W. had salvaged from a local resale shop. The rest of the console went to the dump! The amp was in like new condition and Dave has re-done the back panel and added binding posts and nice RCA jack inputs. This is a very special power amp and took is all by surprise. Certainly its no competition for a large Krell but it had a magnificence of its own that I don't think any of us had experienced... Its very unique, has a sound all its own, very clean, well detailed with a great soundstage. At normal listening levels it was a lot of fun to try out!!

My winner for this shootout clearly is the Magnavox 12 wpc power amp ! I've never heard anything quite like it...now I too will be stalking the local resale shops looking for one..."

In the Photo: Dave W.'s Magnavox amp sits on top of his A-30 and in front of the MOSFET A-40. The Krell KSA-50 Mk-2 Klone is under the A-40.
Mark

A very nice amp.  Now if I could just get to work on my old Eico HF-81 stuff...

Photo courtesy of diyaudio.com
Lyndon
Listening to my Eico ST-40 with Coral Model BX-300 2 way speakers.  :thumb: