Exodus Kepler Updates

Kevin Haskins

Exodus Kepler Updates
« on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:01 pm »
I've been slow to get everything done on the Kepler.   Part of the issue is I have too many iron's in the fire. 

The Kepler is on the site and up for sale.  I have some documentation that I'll publish, probably next week.    I also have a review coming out in SoundStage within the next month or so.    The Kepler's are in the NRC chamber as I write this.

Once I get out in the clear I'm hoping to follow-up with a center channel MTM design, a design in the PE 0.38 ft3 cabinet along with a 3-way design using two PE cabinets, 1.0 ft^3 on the bottom with a pair of EX-6.5s, and the 0.5ft^3 or 0.38ft^3 cabinet sitting on top.   At that point I'll have a complete home theater set-up.    I'll also probably do an in-wall and a dipole design before the end of the year.

Oh... if you want some tid-bits to tide you over until the review.

"First we listened to them at publisher Doug's place, through about $9K worth of Simaudio gear.  They sounded just fantastic, and Doug was very impressed.  He kept saying "I can't believe these are kit speakers!" 

"These speakers are extraordinary."

" very, very low distortion, even with 20V (50W) in and about 101db @ 1m"

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2008, 12:35 am by Kevin Haskins »

ejfud

Re: Exodus Kepler Updates
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2008, 01:13 pm »
I can't wait to hear some of the feedback on these.

I'm going the bookshelf route in my main listening room and have fallen in lust with the Dynaudio 52SE's, but I have a sneaky feeling that Kevin may be changing my mind in the near future. :drool:

Plus I'd get the satisfaction of building them myself.

One question Kevin. I love to build and would like to do the cabs myself, but don't want to mess with a curved back. Did you hear a difference with the two styles of cabinets (square vs curved back)?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2008, 06:12 pm »
I can't wait to hear some of the feedback on these.

I'm going the bookshelf route in my main listening room and have fallen in lust with the Dynaudio 52SE's, but I have a sneaky feeling that Kevin may be changing my mind in the near future. :drool:

Plus I'd get the satisfaction of building them myself.

One question Kevin. I love to build and would like to do the cabs myself, but don't want to mess with a curved back. Did you hear a difference with the two styles of cabinets (square vs curved back)?

Actually, the PE curved wall cabinets have a little less internal volume.   It changed port/bass tuning alignment on me.     

There is absolutely no way I'd build a curved wall cabinet.   Too much work, build the rectangular one and there will be no sound quality difference.   You can copy the PE plans and just use a 3/4" front baffle.   Its not necessary to have the 1" front baffle.   The enclosure is small enough and a single brace is more than enough to keep cabinet resonance issues at bay.

klh

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2008, 05:11 am »
I've been slow to get everything done on the Kepler.   Part of the issue is I have too many iron's in the fire. 

The Kepler is on the site and up for sale.  I have some documentation that I'll publish, probably next week.    I also have a review coming out in SoundStage within the next month or so.    The Kepler's are in the NRC chamber as I write this.

Once I get out in the clear I'm hoping to follow-up with a center channel MTM design, a design in the PE 0.38 ft3 cabinet along with a 3-way design using two PE cabinets, 1.0 ft^3 on the bottom with a pair of EX-6.5s, and the 0.5ft^3 or 0.38ft^3 cabinet sitting on top.   At that point I'll have a complete home theater set-up.    I'll also probably do an in-wall and a dipole design before the end of the year.

Oh... if you want some tid-bits to tide you over until the review.

"First we listened to them at publisher Doug's place, through about $9K worth of Simaudio gear.  They sounded just fantastic, and Doug was very impressed.  He kept saying "I can't believe these are kit speakers!" 

"These speakers are extraordinary."

" very, very low distortion, even with 20V (50W) in and about 101db @ 1m"

Kevin,

You mentioned an in wall potentially by the end of the year. Will that be an MT design? Will it require the woofer widget and your amplification? I have a cousin who wants in wall speakers for surrounds (potentially mounted in the ceiling facing down) but I cringe every time he says that. Of course I think he'd be much happier with something you designed ;). The thing with him is he's only going to use a receiver to power the speakers, so that may rule out your in walls.

Krister

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2008, 03:52 pm »
Krister,

For the moment, I don't know what shape the in-walls will take.   They are fairly far down the priority list.    For what your cousin is doing I'd probably say he would be just best doing a couple el-cheapo ones.     Mine will make sense for people building an entire Exodus system but for someone looking for a pair of budget surrounds to run on their receiver, just get the Dayton ones.