SP Technologies Timepiece Speakers

nathanm

« Reply #100 on: 12 Dec 2003, 06:50 pm »
2-gig?! Crikey! Erm...I was thinking more along the lines of a nice 256K MP3 or so, something manageable.  Why not post an MP3 somewheres so anyone who'd like to hear it can download it?  Doesn't do much good  for just me to have some 2 gig wav file, even if I did have an FTP server with that kind of space available, which I don't. :(  Yes, yes I know MP3s are horrible compromises and all that, but let's be practical.  A 256K MP3 sounds dang good for the size IMO, and it's better than nothing.  Just a suggestion of course, no pressure mind you!  :)

106db 20Hz bass from 6.5" drivers - hmmm, hard to imagine.  Usually you get a lot of cone flapping and no real sound to speak of, and you are afraid of blowing the voice coil.  But if you say so I guess I'll believe it.  Damn, it must be nice to have a room with those kind of dimensions. :cry:  I will have to see\hear this for myself when I take another shot at blowing up audiojerry's system\ears.  I am envisioning a little bit 'o  "The March and The Stream" being pumped out by a PLX-1602 for all his neighbors to enjoy. 8)  Although I think with the 3 grand he sank into in these suckers I probably won't get volume control privledges.  Gotta keep them nice 'n pristine in case SP gets their first returned pair, right? :wink: :lol:

audiojerry

« Reply #101 on: 12 Dec 2003, 08:18 pm »
Nathan, for the record it's an 8" aluminum cone driver.

Reading SP Tech's website describing its bass loading techinque was rather fascinating. Check it out if you have time on your hands:
http://www.4sptech.com/HTML/600X800/home/index.htm

infiniti driver

« Reply #102 on: 12 Dec 2003, 09:02 pm »
If you folks would like some really nice software...FREE....go to this page and d-load these tools.

The test tone generator is accurate and you can see what happens with 20hZ on a sine wave is all about on your system.

Nathan, shoot me an email and I can send you the file.

http://www.moonaudio.com/softwar5.htm

audiojerry

« Reply #103 on: 12 Dec 2003, 09:25 pm »
Infinitdriver, are you associated with Moonaudio?
Years ago it was one of the first audio websites I stumbled across and lusted over the super expensive audio gear for sale there. I see it still exists. I always wonder who these guys are that own this equipment.
Mindboggling

nathanm

« Reply #104 on: 12 Dec 2003, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Reading SP Tech's website describing its bass loading techinque was rather fascinating. Check it out if you have time on your hands:
http://www.4sptech.com/HTML/600X800/home/index.htm

Well yes, one needs plenty of time on their hands when viewing any of those SP Tech webpages.

Andrikos

« Reply #105 on: 12 Dec 2003, 10:52 pm »
I just downloaded the moonaudio software.
Good stuff! None of my coworkers can hear past 16kHz. But, we haven't tested any women (or children) yet! :)

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Just Checking In
« Reply #106 on: 13 Dec 2003, 12:41 am »
Glad to see everybodys having some fun!  :mrgreen:

Wish I had a room that big too Bill.   :cry:  The picture was cool.  I'm sure that goes a long way in increasing the credablity factor.  I'll tell you folks, I've met some audio nuts but Bill takes the cake.  This guy goes to extremes with his gear and recording like no one I've ever met.  I'm glad to hear about the 23Hz response.  That's exactly the free air resonant frequency of the woofer.

Jerry - the Continuum has the same F3 as the Timepiece.  It was a tradeoff to enable us to make it a non floor standing model.  Shipping weight issue.  Also, the Continuum was designed to double as a horizontally mounted center channel in an A/V system.  Don't worry, once things get going we have more goodies in store.

Nathean et al. - Would you guys please quit kicking my butt about the website?  We're doing the best we can.  Part of the problem is our server.  It's a shared server / package deal with limited speed that's affordable for now.  I didn't want to charge 5 G's for the Timepiece just so I could afford to do a co-located one of our own right away.  It's in the plans but I'm sure everyone would agree that lower prices for our goods is the better way to go.  We also didn't want to have to re-program the site when we do move up.  

Besides, don't all you techies have mega-gigahertz processors these days?  It doesn't take all that long to load pages on my old backup clunker 350 MHz machine.  OK, OK...but we still build some serious kick-butt speakers.  It's hard being perfect at everything.

In closing, just to let everyone know - I monitor this thread almost every day but I don't have a lot of time to write back immediately.  If you ask a question - stay tuned.  I'll be checking back in from time to time and I will try to answer everybody's questions.  So long for now.

- Bob

nathanm

« Reply #107 on: 13 Dec 2003, 03:11 am »
Must...not....reply.... :shake:

Andrikos

« Reply #108 on: 13 Dec 2003, 03:38 am »
(Smeagol) "Go on precious, reply... it's ok"
(Deagol) "Nooo! Don't do it!"
(Smeagol) "I command you to do it!"
(Deagol) "Boohoohoo!!!

Nathanm,
It's a consensus: Reply! :D

nathanm

« Reply #109 on: 13 Dec 2003, 06:15 am »
No no no, Smeagol killed Deagol back in 2463 so they would not have had that conversation.  I assume you meant Gollum? Heh!

No, the Pres asked nicely not to "kick his butt", so I guess I'll honor that.  But it's painful...:P  Okay, I will slip in one thing: K.I.S.S.

But what about when I hear the Timepiece monitors?  Is a 'butt kicking' review allowed then?  Heh heh!  No but seriously, I have a feeling I will like them.  If they live up to the claim of slammin' bass and wide dispersion then they'll be 75% of the way there for me.

My hope is to not only to listen to these speakers of the highest value, but to do so such that their value and audiojerry's conduct reflect and promote the spirit of a "New Renaissance" throughout our great Republic and the world at large. As the original Renaissance of Medieval times was the remedy for the Dark Age that had enslaved mankind then; it's my hope that the message reflected in this company and its products will help to revive that same spirit. A resultant global "rebirth" of mankind in this present age is VITAL if we are to keep at bay these "Oligarchs of Design" and their "puppet offspring" that threaten us all.  To celebrate this I will play a few cuts from "Master Of Puppets" if Jerry doesn't object too strongly.  Perhaps "Pastor Of Muppets" too, if there's time.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #110 on: 13 Dec 2003, 06:21 am »
Nathan, Are you going over to Jerry's to hear these speakers ? :)

nathanm

« Reply #111 on: 13 Dec 2003, 07:29 am »
Yep, that's the plan.  I want to compare them to my 824s and I'm sure Jerry will have a plethora of other speakers on hand as well.  Although I find it hard to believe his giant 200 watt "cat vomit" amp would have any trouble driving them plenty loud I am gonna bring along my QSC amp for grins.  Plenty 'o juice there.

audiojerry

« Reply #112 on: 14 Dec 2003, 06:22 pm »
Nathan is free to play whatever he desires - I have a set of shooting range ear protectors  :lol:
But seriously, although Nathan and I may not share the same primary music genre, we both have a wide enough range of tastes where there is some common ground, and I think we both can recognize a well-recorded work regardless of the type of recording.  

Nathan, just for a frame of reference, the Timepiece is able to belt it out better than the B&W 801 white refrigerators you heard your last visit.

infiniti driver

« Reply #113 on: 15 Dec 2003, 05:44 am »
From audiojerry..

"Infinitdriver, are you associated with Moonaudio?"

Actually, I worked a large project for the owner a while back. I hope when he gets ready to do another one he will call on me..

Nose around on this site and you can find some references.

http://pro5.com/moonsound/index.html

Tbadder1

« Reply #114 on: 15 Dec 2003, 06:05 pm »
All this talk of the 2.0 makes me want to hear the Continuum 3.0.  Anyone hear these?  They're an easier load, go deeper, and priced right.

audiojerry

« Reply #115 on: 16 Dec 2003, 09:32 pm »
For those interested, I have posted my review of the Timepiece 2.0 in the Critics Circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6744.msg57719#57719

audiojerry

« Reply #116 on: 17 Dec 2003, 07:14 pm »
I had a great conversation with Bob of SP last night, and one of the things we discussed was the fate of my Timepieces. Orders have been brisk, which is good for Bob, but the lead time is getting longer. Bob, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but the most recent orders will take 5-6 weeks to deliver.

We discussed the idea of sending mine directly to anyone interested in giving them a try. This would avoid a long wait, and they are already broken in with over 250 hours of burn-in. Bob's offer of a 30 day trial period and free shipping both ways still applies.

My pair was either the first or one of the first pairs to be built out of his new manufacturing facility. His finishing person was a bit inexperienced and my pair is not 100% flawless. There are a couple of very minor indentations on the walnut veneer, and a very slight over application of the urethane or varnish coating in some spots. I'm kind of anal about cabinetry and finish. Even so,  I do not find them objectionable. I would not have returned them because of finish issues. Bob has assured me that every speaker now coming out of production will be absolutely flawless. The gloss piano black finish is awesome. He also stated that he'd be willing to adjust the price due to the finish, or replace them with a new pair, but of course, you'd have to wait. In the meantime, you'd have a broken in pair available for immediate auditioning. I'd take pictures, but the flaws are too inconspicuous to show up.

If you are interested, contact SP Tech, and Bob will let me know what to do with them.

infiniti driver

« Reply #117 on: 27 Dec 2003, 07:29 pm »

nathanm

unrelated
« Reply #118 on: 27 Dec 2003, 11:23 pm »
Hey infiniti - I noticed I have an unretrieved personal message for you in my Outbox.  Might wanna check that.  Thanks! :)

infiniti driver

« Reply #119 on: 28 Dec 2003, 03:40 pm »
Got it, tkx!

I will let you know how my situation goes.