What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
Re: What speakers are you using with your RW amp?
« Reply #140 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:19 pm »
About to pull the trigger on a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios. I've scoured this entire thread and see no mention of anyone pairing them with Red Wine Amps. I currently use Odyssey Stereo Extreme amps, but hope to switch to a 30.2 to complement the Isabellina in my system. I'm eventually looking to go all-battery with the Isabella (way down the road). Anyone with any experience with this combo. Is it enough power, and what were your sonic impressions.

Thanks

I've not tried out a 30.2 so I can't give you impressions, but I can say the Adagios are a relatively easy load despite their 6 ohm nominal impedance, because they have a fairly flat impedance curve with no ultra-low dips.  The question is really how loud you're looking to go.  As long as the 30.2 is comfortable actually delivering its rated wattage, it should push them in excess of 100db with no problems. (89db sensitivity)  It might not have enough headroom for the dynamic range required of theater use, but for music you'd be ok unless you plan on cranking to party levels.  Your Odyssey's would obviously be much better suited for that. :)

vulcan

« Reply #141 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:57 pm »
I mainly use my Signature 30.2 (and Isabellina) to power a pair of AKG K1000 headspeakers.
But I also once in a while hook up the Stax SR-007BL headspeaker using a Stax SRD-7 Pro. Both nice combinations imo.  :thumb:

AKG K1000 rig:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5845/86639858iy4.jpg

Stax SR-007BL rig:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8180/72623831pa5.jpg

Hi All

Krmathis :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:I'm very Happy with my K1000 :hyper: :hyper:

Is great battle with my Millett 307A :duel: :duel: :duel:

adamaley

« Reply #142 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:27 am »
Got 30.2s on my Adagios this week. Sound is magical I must say. Initially my biggest concern was that they may be a little too warm, but I must say I am warming to that effect. Funny thing is i am getting more detail coming through, which is unexpected. Now the only concern is power. I have had it clip a couple of times. I played a random playlist and I guess some songs play louder than others.....plus I like my music loud sometimes. Funnily enough, listening at lower levels, which I am patiently learning to do, seems even more rewarding due to the greater inner stage detail and quiet background. I may have to step up to the mono blocks, it seems. I remember reading a thread here some time back which addressed using a preamp with the Sig 30.2 integrated. Thus far I have been listening without my preamp just to get used to the sound for a couple of weeks and will introduce it later to see what it adds or subtracts...don't know if this is the right forum for this, but yes, the amps drive these speakers both musically and sufficiently.

Profbratsch

« Reply #143 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:01 pm »
Now the only concern is power. I have had it clip a couple of times. I may have to step up to the mono blocks.

That is exactly what I did when I experienced clipping during orchestral peaks when I had the 30.2 paired with my LSA 1 Statement monitors (88dB efficiency, 6-ohm impedance).  I can pretty much guarantee you will not regret stepping up to the 70.2s.  There should be more than enough current to drive the Adagios and you will gain so much more in bass definition and soundstaging capabilities with the monos.

Happy listening!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #144 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:23 am »
Hi Adamaley,

Thanks for posting your experience with the Sig 30.2 + Adagio combo - glad you are enjoying it!
Yes, please keep us posted when you mix in a preamp...

Profbratsch is right - the 70.2s have more current and offer a nice upgrade with regards to bass and soundstaging... they are SWEET!  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

adamaley

« Reply #145 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:17 am »
Will definitely do so Vinnie. I am in possession of an Odyssey Candela preamp and will be throwing it into the mix once I get a handle on what the Sig 30.2 brings. Not that I can't tell by now. I had a read through this thread last night:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=38791.0
Hopefully the Candela will reap similar rewards for me.

audiowhore

« Reply #146 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:13 pm »
I plan to order a RW in the near future, but am curious about others' speakers. If you care to respond, please indicate whether you have a 30 or 70 model and the  sensitivity spec. of your speakers. Vinnie offers a high gain option, I believe, so that information might also be valuable if your amp has it.
I have a 30.2 along with Zu Essence.A match made in heaven.97db 12 ohm...Jim

schw06

« Reply #147 on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm »
Zu and Red Wine is a fantastic combination! My 70.2's with Zu Definition II's made me stop lusting after tube amps. I thought that would never happen!
David

audiowhore

« Reply #148 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:36 am »
Same with me.I have no less then 6 tube amps.When I tried the RW I couldnt believe what I was hearing.I will be selling some amps on Agon real soon.Maybe save one tube amp for the winter time.Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #149 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm »
Hi audiowhore,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Thanks for your feedback - I have many Sig 30.2 and 70.2 customers who love the combo with the various Zu Loudspeakers, and I'm glad you are as well.  :)

Hi schw06,

Thanks for your post!

All the best,

Vinnie

raytheprinter

« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:23 am »
I thought for a while that 30 watts was going to be enough for my Harmonic Precision Caravelles,but after a couple years I have decided to replace my 30.2 for more power.The 30.2 is pretty powerful for a mere 30 watts,but at the end of the day ,,still 30 watts.I will probably go back to a Conrad Johnson SS amp,,very amazing SS amp.I thought about the 70.2 ,but at the price ,there is a lot of very good competition.Plus I could not get used to having to turn the 30.2 on and off all the time.Many times I would want to listen for a longer period than the batteries would take,esp.when the batteries get older,they start to hold a charge for less time.I did not like having to change batteries .For me it became a PITA.I think the 30.2 is a very good amp ,very cool technology!But not a miracle amp  .At least not in my system.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:51 pm »
I am using the integrated 30.2 with the Gedlee Abbeys. I had wanted the try the 30.2 for a long time, but never had a speaker that was sensitive enough where I wouldn't be taxing the amp to hard to drive them properly.  The Abbeys are about 95db at nominal 8 ohms. The compression driver on the waveguide, with the lengths to which diffraction is minimized, allows an amazing level of clarity.   I think this amplifier speaker combination is superb. 

The value proposition is pretty good as well when you factor in the customary use of special power chords/filtering equipment is irrelevant.

With my system I use the Dodd buffer, which also is battery powered, as a volume control, since I need to drive 2 sub amps for my ob subs.

What has already been said is true about this amp. It is truly excellent.

-Tony

richny

« Reply #152 on: 12 Jun 2010, 08:14 pm »
I have been using a Signature 30.2 with a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's upgraded to the Series 3 driver for a while now.  I bought a used set of speakers and had them upgraded by Ohm last year.  I thought the 30 watts of power for the Signature 30.2 might be a little light for the 88 dB Ohms but that is not the case.   The little integrated provides plenty of power.  In fact I rarely move past 10 or 11 on the volume dial.  I really like the combination of the Signaure 30.2 with the Ohm speakers.  The timbre of instruments is right on.  The sound is also detailed, very transparent, and dynamic.  I like the expansive soundstage of the Ohms as well and that was my reason for buying them in the first place.  I have had Maggie's and built a pair of Ellis Audio 1801's, both of which are excellent quality speakers.  The Signature 30.2 combined with the Ohm Walsh 2's produce music that is as good as I have heard to date.  Aside from trying a tube preamp in the setup to see if that brings more to the table, I am very satisfied with this combo.  For the first time in years, I am not looking to change my amp or speakers. :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #153 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:37 pm »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your feedback, and you are correct about power.  For many of our customers, the 30.2 is all the power they need.  But with lower sensitivity speakers (or for those who like to play at loud levels and/or are in rooms that tend to be sound absorbent, 30wpc is 30wpc and you'll know that you need more power - especially if you are reaching distortion before you get the volume level as loud as you want it to be. 

Regarding the batteries - yes, like tubes, they do require maintenance.  In the past few months, I have been working very hard on something new for release in the not-too-distant future regarding batteries.  I can't say any more about this right now - but it is going to be amazing!   :wink: 

Hi Tony and Richny,

Thanks for your feedback regarding your 30.2 and speaker combos - this has been a really nice thread and helpful for many in getting ideas on what speakers our customers have been using that have provided great results!

I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this post!

Thank you,

Vinnie

adamaley

« Reply #154 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:00 am »
Well, I know I promised a while back to give an updated impression of my Adagio Signature 30.2 pairing. Since then I have made a major change to my system. A new preamp arrived, which took things to a level I did not foresee. I have simply had no urge to mess around with the system or even do anything audio-wise but listen to music and try to come to terms with where it was taking me emotionally. This new addition provided higher gain that has rendered the amp-speaker combo more agreeable. I attach a pic to reveal this newcomer.

Eadron

« Reply #155 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:52 am »

Regarding the batteries - yes, like tubes, they do require maintenance.  In the past few months, I have been working very hard on something new for release in the not-too-distant future regarding batteries.  I can't say any more about this right now - but it is going to be amazing!   :wink: 

Hi Vinnie,

that sounds very interesting!  :drool: I've been struggling with the tube issue lately (ie. toobee or not toobee :lol:) with Omega 8XRS. My EL34 amp is quite tempting with the Omegas (driven by Isabella w/ dac) although there's something that begins to disturb the performance when listening longer periods.. :scratch: Then I'll connect my 70.2s and always will find the right balance, but I think ultimately there's also some definition, 3D and finesse missing compared to the tube alternative. The sound is very sweet though and I must say the right wires makes a lot with the RWAs.

So, what I'm hoping at the moment is that your new battery-related secret would take things to that direction a bit.. :eyebrows:

Best regards,
Jouni

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #156 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:44 pm »
Hi Adamaley,

Nice pic - and I'm glad you found the right preamp for the job!  :thumb:

Hi Jouni,

So, what I'm hoping at the moment is that your new battery-related secret would take things to that direction a bit.. :eyebrows:

It certainly will - especially because it will allow for the required space to add in another upgrade that I know will take you where you want to go!  :eyebrows:

Thanks for your posts!

Vinnie

Randy

« Reply #157 on: 6 Aug 2010, 09:18 pm »
Anybody using Red Wine with AudioKinesis speakers?

alamakazam

« Reply #158 on: 10 Aug 2010, 04:03 pm »
any totem arros user?

roscoeiii

« Reply #159 on: 10 Aug 2010, 05:09 pm »
Nice teaser there Vinnie...

Not sure how you get it all done in a year that has had so many major events for you.