sub amps?

ratso

sub amps?
« on: 7 Feb 2008, 04:15 am »
most of the amps you have listed are full frequency power amps with high power output. with all the ice/class d/class h amps coming out have you heard of any news/rumors of any standalone subwoofer amps coming out? there's the gallo amp and a trickle of off brands out there but how about a reasonably priced high powered stereo sub amp that has an adjustable crossover for passive subs?

Kevin Haskins

Re: sub amps?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2008, 02:02 pm »
You can always go with one of the big Crown's with dual DSPs.    They have about 1000W per channel and the DSP has some PEQ ability.     Parts Express has a 1000W rack unit with subwoofer signal processing also.     

I don't have anything in the works and I'm not aware of anything coming from Face Audio that fits that category.     I'd love to get a custom F1200-TS with the Woofer Widget as a front-end but its not going to happen this year. 

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2008, 04:20 pm »
There's an ad in the Industry Market Place area for a Reckhorn Sub amp that appears to be what you are looking for.  Check it out?

N

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2008, 06:33 pm »
I know Bob sells the Reckhorns and I've heard nothing bad about them.

I really like our Face Audio amps though for the big-power applications.   Its a great company with a great product at a really good price.   You have to find another box to do your signal processing but that isn't too big of a challenge.

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:14 am »
yes it's easy to do (seperate box) but drives the cost up obviously. i am just wondering with so many threads about people hooking up
huge power amps to their passives and buying external crossovers it seems there is a market for it. and the above amps mentioned are either mono, low powered or not really very high quality. i guess seeing as how you are kind of a company flirting with this market, what do you think the future holds? the new 'alphabet soup' lettered amps seem perfect for this application - high powered, low cost, cool running. emotiva just put out one that would be perfect but it is eq'd specifically for there new subwoofer system, so it wouldn't work so well in any other subs. do you think we'll be seeing more (any?) of these in the future? have you guys ever thought of bringing one out?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2008, 05:12 am »
yes it's easy to do (seperate box) but drives the cost up obviously. i am just wondering with so many threads about people hooking up
huge power amps to their passives and buying external crossovers it seems there is a market for it. and the above amps mentioned are either mono, low powered or not really very high quality. i guess seeing as how you are kind of a company flirting with this market, what do you think the future holds? the new 'alphabet soup' lettered amps seem perfect for this application - high powered, low cost, cool running. emotiva just put out one that would be perfect but it is eq'd specifically for there new subwoofer system, so it wouldn't work so well in any other subs. do you think we'll be seeing more (any?) of these in the future? have you guys ever thought of bringing one out?

I have.... but my pocketbook is limited in size.   I've talked with Face about adding a "subwoofer" only version to their lineup.    Its not their traditional market though and they would have to see a substantial market before investing the capital to introduce a new product. 

ratso

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2008, 12:22 am »
thanx for the replies kevin! tell face that they would have at least one customer  :thumb: