RAW Rebuild

Wind Chaser

RAW Rebuild
« on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:20 am »
Danny,

Since you designed the OB2X crossover, can one of the Neo planers be substituted without modification/significant modification to the crossover?  The intent is to make the top end dipolar.

I plan on making the bass module bigger, possibly sealing it up and using No Rez.  Also be looking at replacing all the AC inductors with foil.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2008, 06:35 am by Wind Chaser »

pbrstreetgang

Re: RAW Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 09:57 am »
Interesting :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:18 pm »
Dropping in a Neo driver would require a complete redesign of the network on the mid and tweeter.

Putting a pair of Neo's back to back is very doable and would likely work out really well.

I think that the inductors that came with the OB2X were Solen perfect lay. That is a good quality OFC inductor. Going to a foil inductor will be a minor change at best. I wouldn't consider it much of an upgrade.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:48 pm »
Dropping in a Neo driver would require a complete redesign of the network on the mid and tweeter.

Is that because the Neo is more sensitive than the ribbon?  If the crossover points are the same as the OB-5 (200Hz and 1.8kHz) wouldn't it be more of a matter of a minor change of a few resistors than a wholesale correction?

BTW, the rebuild is necessary due to one of the crossovers being damaged in transport, so I'm just considering my options here.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:58 pm »
Nope, crossovers aren't just about crossover points. They have to take into account the acoustic output, impedance, and time arrival effects of each driver.