Blu-Ray vs HD

kmmd

• YG? Y NOT? Carmel 2’s and Hailey 3’s
    • Systems
Re: Blu-Ray vs HD
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:29 pm »
Originally posted by Antman27:
Toshiba will be dropping HD DVD very shortly…..so, as much as I hate to admit it, sony wins again!!!!

After Toshiba drops the format there will be no support…the only option will be bluray

This was an email from one of my AV vendors today

This is also what I've been reading. 

I was all set to jump on the numerous 2 for 1 BOGO deals for HD DVD's before Christmas in anticipation of purchasing a player.  I had my hopes up that Toshiba would be releasing a successor to its flagship XA2 player and displaying it at CES.  But when nothing panned out for an XA3? in addition to Warner's announcement 2 days before CES, I thought, "Oh boy."  With recent developments happening this quickly, I suspect that the end is near.  I feel for those who jumped into the HD DVD camp.

DeanSheen

« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:49 pm »
"I feel for those who jumped into the HD DVD camp."

Not so fast.  You should feel sorry for all of us now since there dosen't seem to be a non buggy player on the market outside of the PS3 and thats lacking in features.

Basically no non buggy players exist and no full featured non buggy players to boot.

Consumers got the shaft.  At least the HDDVD players functioned.

Ears

« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:17 pm »

Not so fast.  You should feel sorry for all of us now since there dosen't seem to be a non buggy player on the market outside of the PS3 and thats lacking in features.

Basically no non buggy players exist and no full featured non buggy players to boot.

hd dvd players that I bought were far more buggy than the three BD players I bought and the Panasonic and Denon players are both good stand alones.
Not that there is anything wrong with the PS3.

Night_Train

« Reply #43 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:58 pm »
Go ahead and grab your tissues and head over to ebay; the Grim Reaper is making a house call. Hehehehe....

kmmd

• YG? Y NOT? Carmel 2’s and Hailey 3’s
    • Systems
« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:07 pm »
The Toshiba XA2 has had quite a few bugs which is why I've stayed away from it.  It seems that whenever Toshiba released a new firmware version, a new bug was introduced.  The latest v.2.8 firmware has issues with the MPEG4 codec and jaggies and video shutdown issues.  Before that, 1080p/24 issues still existed and there were power shutdown issues while playing.  I'd be quite annoyed with any of these problems.  Luckily, I haven't experienced any problems with my Blu-ray player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151

ajzepp

« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2008, 12:10 am »
Give me a break...when the BDA themselves say that the only player worth a damn right now is the PS3, obviously there are some issues with the stand alones.

Woodsea

« Reply #46 on: 16 Feb 2008, 01:04 am »
Ears, come off it.  You know the vast majority of BR owners (not PS3) are screwed because of deficiencies in the format's infancy or hardware problems.  Please stop, BR has won, you do not have to keep up the fanboy rhetoric. I concede that HDDVD was not without their trials and tribulations.  But, features were set in stone, and leaps ahead of BR at the gate.
BR wins this race....happy.

Ears

« Reply #47 on: 16 Feb 2008, 03:26 am »
The Toshiba XA2 has had quite a few bugs which is why I've stayed away from it.  It seems that whenever Toshiba released a new firmware version, a new bug was introduced.  The latest v.2.8 firmware has issues with the MPEG4 codec and jaggies and video shutdown issues.  Before that, 1080p/24 issues still existed and there were power shutdown issues while playing.  I'd be quite annoyed with any of these problems.  Luckily, I haven't experienced any problems with my Blu-ray player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151

So did the HD-A1 and RCA players as documented in every single pro review by every single reviewer after they launched.

Ears

« Reply #48 on: 16 Feb 2008, 07:17 pm »
Ears, come off it.  You know the vast majority of BR owners (not PS3) are screwed because of deficiencies in the format's infancy or hardware problems.  Please stop, BR has won, you do not have to keep up the fanboy rhetoric. I concede that HDDVD was not without their trials and tribulations.  But, features were set in stone, and leaps ahead of BR at the gate.
BR wins this race....happy.

Woodsea, the vast majority of BD owners (Not BR) use the PS3 as a player worldwide and all BD players play all BD movies released when the manufactures take care of their customers.
Samsung player problems are exactly that, Samsung problems.

Please stop posting in any HD optical thread as you said yourself that you are waiting for the next great HD download  service of the future or far off future  HD format because you evidently hate Sony.  :roll:

The fact is that when it comes to HDM optical, you know jack.

I will help you out with that though right now. http://jack.zunino.net/knowjack.htm
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2008, 07:40 pm by Ears »

DeanSheen

« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2008, 07:45 pm »
Ears,

dont know why you turned a conversation into a ragfest. 

Chill man.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #50 on: 16 Feb 2008, 08:05 pm »

I bought the Samsung 1400, and since a simple firmware install of 10 minutes worth of work the machine has not failed to play any BD disc I throw at it, and flawlessly bitstreams all advanced codecs, including True HD, DTS HD Master Audio (and lesser brethren) and uncompressed 7.1 PCM to my processor.  A beautiful picture, great sound, and the ergonomics are fine.  All for $289, with a few complimentary discs thrown in.

Dunno why so many people have to generalize.

ctviggen

« Reply #51 on: 16 Feb 2008, 08:16 pm »

I bought the Samsung 1400, and since a simple firmware install of 10 minutes worth of work the machine has not failed to play any BD disc I throw at it, and flawlessly bitstreams all advanced codecs, including True HD, DTS HD Master Audio (and lesser brethren) and uncompressed 7.1 PCM to my processor.  A beautiful picture, great sound, and the ergonomics are fine.  All for $289, with a few complimentary discs thrown in.

Dunno why so many people have to generalize.

He's not generalizing.  Try taking a new Blu-ray disc and putting it on an old player, then try to access all the features.  You can't.  Next, do the same with an HD-DVD.  You can access all features. This is one reason why many studios selected HD-DVD.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 16 Feb 2008, 08:25 pm »
Bob,
Two things:
1)  I don't care about an old player and early adopter arrows in the back.  He basically said ALL BD players have huge issues that make them problematic.  Not mine. 
2)  The studios no longer select HD-DVD.  It's early player ergonomics are a nit in relation to the overall adoption.

DeanSheen

Bob,
Two things:
1)  I don't care about an old player and early adopter arrows in the back.  He basically said ALL BD players have huge issues that make them problematic.  Not mine. 
2)  The studios no longer select HD-DVD.  It's early player ergonomics are a nit in relation to the overall adoption.

Man you guys love p***ing matches.  Why?  Why does this conversation involve so much noise from chest thumpers?  Chset thumpers with indefensible postitions are even better. 

It's not a contest, but a statement that any consumer like myself looking to purchase a BR player comes up against. "BR players are expensive and plauged with problems."   That really sucks for people that are switching or people that are looking to adopt.  The bottom line is Sony bought out the competition by offering cash for a product that is more expensive.  How can you defend that?

Yes, yours does play all the codes but it dosent have all the features.  The 1400 wont decode all the formats, only bitstream them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

Blueray issues?  Yep, lots.

Glad yours plays all the discs.  Apparently this hasn't been the experience of all samsung br purchasers.  See lawsuit.

http://www.avrev.com/news/0208/12.samsung256.shtml

I love this thread on glitches and this quote is pretty sweet.  Lots of people have gravitated to the PS3 specifically for issues associated with most other players.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990431

JCR1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
+1 ...Never had a single problem with any disk.
+2

I have owned the Samsung 1400,Sony S301,Panny BD10 and BD30 which all had glitches,some minor some major.I gave it one last shot with BR and have been extremely happy with my PS3 40GB and BT remote.Plays everything without a hitch.

Keep in mind those are the so called "budget" BR players I had owned so I don't know about the reliability of the more expensive ones.

Issues?  Yours has more than enough in this 101 page thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900924&page=101

How about a sample?

Old  12-25-07, 01:20 AM         #3004   |  Link
Blurs

i have bought 2 of these units (samsung 1400) the first one i bought i returned because it wasn't playing any standard movies after i updated the firmware to the latest version, Blu-ray movies worked fine just not regular dvds. I called samsung they made me reset it on still nothing so i returned the unit and bought another samsung 1400 and i tried playing a dvd and it worked then i update the firmware so i can play Live free of die hard blu-ray that worked but again after updating the firmware i can't play regular movies gives me unreadable disk error. Any help?

-Matt
Blurs is offline Report Post      Reply With Quote

AC is generally a nice place.  Why does a BR thread bring out the nasty trolls?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 16 Feb 2008, 09:53 pm »
P$ssing match?  Really?  I simply stated that my player plays fine, as long as the firmware is installed; I was responding to someone who generalized that all BD players have issues for everyone, and that HD DVD is pristine goodness.  Seemed a bit black and white (I called it generalizing, not a huge troll-like comment) for such a debatable topic.  My HD player (A30...a player with a nice large AVS thread too) is fine, too, but no better or worse, for me!  I don't need decoding or SD scaling, or Anchor chips or player-based Reon processing, BTW.  Those are done in my pre/pro.  That's why I said the 1400 is good for me.

Troll?  I think not.  I'm both a regular here, as well as on AVS Forum.  I'm well aware of the 1400 thread; I subscribe and give input to it on a regular basis.  I use my 1400 for BD discs, period.  It's why I bought it.

DeanSheen

« Reply #55 on: 16 Feb 2008, 10:08 pm »
Ahh the root of the problem.  You thought it was a contest.

I never said nor meant to imply this "and that HD DVD is pristine goodness. "

But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 16 Feb 2008, 10:18 pm »
Ahh the root of the problem.  You thought it was a contest.

I never said nor meant to imply this "and that HD DVD is pristine goodness. "

But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Contest?  C'mon man.  Who's trolling here, Dean.  I said it was a debate (and it clearly is; some have called it a format war; the OP title uses the word "versus"), and responded to a black and white comment (paraphrasing "all BD players are problematic; all HD Players are fine").  I've invested in both formats, and it's unfortunate that there had to be this dual format industry-wide divide, cuz now Blu Ray will likely raise prices, which hurts us all.

ajzepp

« Reply #57 on: 16 Feb 2008, 11:16 pm »
Ted: Who cares if YOUR particular player doesn't have issues. It's pretty obvious to me that the guy was referring to all MODELS of BD players, not all BD players in an absolute sense. I think most reasonable folks could have recognized that pretty easily, which is why I think Dean is right to point out your "pissing match" attitude.

Ears

Bob,
Two things:

Man you guys love p***ing matches.  Why?  Why does this conversation involve so much noise from chest thumpers?  Chset thumpers with indefensible postitions are even better. 

It's not a contest, but a statement that any consumer like myself looking to purchase a BR player comes up against. "BR players are expensive and plauged with problems."   That really sucks for people that are switching or people that are looking to adopt.  The bottom line is Sony bought out the competition by offering cash for a product that is more expensive.  How can you defend that?

Yes, yours does play all the codes but it dosent have all the features.  The 1400 wont decode all the formats, only bitstream them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

Blueray issues?  Yep, lots.

Glad yours plays all the discs.  Apparently this hasn't been the experience of all samsung br purchasers.  See lawsuit.

http://www.avrev.com/news/0208/12.samsung256.shtml

I love this thread on glitches and this quote is pretty sweet.  Lots of people have gravitated to the PS3 specifically for issues associated with most other players.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990431

JCR1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
+1 ...Never had a single problem with any disk.
+2

I have owned the Samsung 1400,Sony S301,Panny BD10 and BD30 which all had glitches,some minor some major.I gave it one last shot with BR and have been extremely happy with my PS3 40GB and BT remote.Plays everything without a hitch.

Keep in mind those are the so called "budget" BR players I had owned so I don't know about the reliability of the more expensive ones.

Issues?  Yours has more than enough in this 101 page thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900924&page=101

How about a sample?

Old  12-25-07, 01:20 AM         #3004   |  Link
Blurs

i have bought 2 of these units (samsung 1400) the first one i bought i returned because it wasn't playing any standard movies after i updated the firmware to the latest version, Blu-ray movies worked fine just not regular dvds. I called samsung they made me reset it on still nothing so i returned the unit and bought another samsung 1400 and i tried playing a dvd and it worked then i update the firmware so i can play Live free of die hard blu-ray that worked but again after updating the firmware i can't play regular movies gives me unreadable disk error. Any help?

-Matt
Blurs is offline Report Post      Reply With Quote

AC is generally a nice place.  Why does a BR thread bring out the nasty trolls?

It's not a pissing match Ted, it's people not being able to accept the facts like only Toshiba has paid anyone off in this pillow fight that just ended, yet people want to spew lies and huge exaggerations about BD payoffs and faulty players.
I owned two hd dvd players and three BD players, and can say without a doubt that the BD players functioned far better.

How many have you owned?

And it is BD Ted, and not BR.
If you want anyone to take you serious, the least you can do is learn the proper and only abbreviation for the format.

DeanSheen

« Reply #59 on: 17 Feb 2008, 12:05 am »
"Spew lies and huge exaggerations about BD payoffs and faulty players."

Read the links you just quoted.

Faulty players are documented while I'll give you I have no links for BR errr BD payoffs.

I'll stop now. 

Can we get an ignore function for AC?  Ears is first.