OB-5 vs X-Statick........

danm

OB-5 vs X-Statick........
« on: 1 Feb 2008, 12:56 am »
......... So the topic says it all. I'm guessing Danny might be the only one to have directly compared them, but if anyone else has some input. BTW, I DID search for this comparison and came up empty. :)

Wind Chaser

Re: OB-5 vs X-Statick........
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:38 am »
The X-Statick is an urban legend.  If indeed any such thing were in the realm of reality, it would have surfaced a long time ago.

Don't hold your breath, go for the OB-5!

jsamp05

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:46 am »
Oh there may well be a product, but hardly in the class of the OB-5. 

gprro

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:48 am »
Ob5 has better tweeter and x over parts. Unless they have upgraded the parts for the x-static. I'm thinking the x-static might go a little deeper or have a little more bass capability, but the ob5 should be better.

danm

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2008, 03:02 am »
Ob5 has better tweeter and x over parts. Unless they have upgraded the parts for the x-static. I'm thinking the x-static might go a little deeper or have a little more bass capability, but the ob5 should be better.

That's my (un-listened to) opinion also, just curious what others thought.......

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2008, 03:49 am »
Well guys, I heard the X-Static prototype at Danny's when I was listening to an LS9/LS6 comparison.  It is amazing.  Almost made me rethink my decision to buy the LS9's..... almost.  It is really good. Really really good.  Although we didn't hook up any of the OB series on that occasion, I have listened to the OB-7's at Danny's for at least a couple of hours.  My old ears liked the X-Static better.

Also, I am not sure that I would agree with the assessment that the X-Static tweeter is inferior.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2008, 04:08 am »
The X-Statick is an urban legend.  If indeed any such thing were in the realm of reality, it would have surfaced a long time ago.

Don't hold your breath, go for the OB-5!

Well, it was just confirmed my "urban legend" will be shipped to me in a couple of weeks  :lol:

I don't see why they both can't be great speakers.  I chose the X-Static b/c the darn thing is $699/pair fully built. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2008, 04:24 am »
Side by side I still have to favor the OB-5.

I tend to really like the Neo 3 pdr, planar magnetic, tweeter better than anything else out there.

The OB-5 only comes with the top notch crossover parts like Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and foil inductors. That adds even more to the detail and resolution edge.

Since the OB-5 is ported and the X-Static is sealed, the OB-5 also plays a little lower.

If building it is part of your fun then the OB-5 is the only way to go. No kit out there in that price range will beat that speaker.

However, the soft dome tweeter in the X-Static is no slouch. It is one of the best soft dome tweeters that I have ever worked with.

Parts quality in the X-Static is not bad either. All inductors are air core OFC copper, caps are all poly caps and there are even some Gen.2 Sonicap by-pass caps in the tweeter circuit.

The sealed box design of the X-Static doesn't allow it to play as low, but bass is really tight and clean and easily mates with a sub.

If building cabinets is not your forte the X-Static saves you from the dirty work.

As far as completed speakers go I know of nothing under a grand that can touch the X-Static. Hey, it is an open baffle design, three way, speaker with top notch drivers and a really accurate response starting at $699 a pair. What more could you ask for? They even look really good. You can always upgrade the caps in the crossover and line it with some No Rez to take it up another notch and still be way ahead of the game.

My prediction is that the X-Static will have a really good year and be a standout speaker in a line full of bang for the buck standouts. This one is a real favorite.  

mca

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2008, 06:52 am »
You can always upgrade the caps in the crossover and line it with some No Rez to take it up another notch and still be way ahead of the game.

Why don't they just do that in the first place? Or at least give an upgrade option. Sounds like it would be worth it and still be a great deal.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2008, 03:26 pm »
I think $130 worth of Sonicaps in each pair would hickey the targeted retail price a little too much. The hard core music lovers can add this on their own.

jn316

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2008, 08:42 pm »
I think $130 worth of Sonicaps in each pair would hickey the targeted retail price a little too much. The hard core music lovers can add this on their own.

Or contact the Ninja.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2008, 09:24 pm »
Delusions aside, you get what you pay for.  You can't cheap out on a crossover and expect great results.  If anything Stereomojo's 2007 speaker shoot out proved just how true that is.  The modified AV123 X-LS cost $995 vs. the stock version for $300.  Two different animals.

AV123 is a budget product produced along the economical lines of necessity i.e. compromise.

GR Research products are in a different league by virtue of "there are no short cuts!"

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2008, 09:53 pm »
That price is fully built and costs that much because I (The Ninja) don't have time to build a ton of speakers.  You can get the same upgrade in install it yourself for a few hundred bucks :D

The modified AV123 X-LS cost $995 vs. the stock version for $300.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm »
I have to say AV123 along with Danny's input is hard to beat period. The value when compared to commercial offerings and other small manufactures is a no brainer. I have had a couple of second thoughts with the announcement of the laughably priced new x-OB series on my Custom OB7s I am having made. I dont think you could go wrong with any offerings from this powerhouse team. I chose to park myself in front of the C-OB7s at nearly 4.5X the price of the xstatic because I knew upon hearing that the planar tweet and the stunning work Denny does would make me happy for quite a long time while offering a compact package and huge sound.

jn316

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2008, 09:25 pm »

AV123 is a budget product produced along the economical lines of necessity i.e. compromise.

Partially true, I would say, but I also can't wait to get my budget LS9's from AV123!

Aren't there compromises in all designs?

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:41 pm »

Partially true, I would say, but I also can't wait to get my budget LS9's from AV123!

Aren't there compromises in all designs?

I wish I had room for LS9's :(

As far as X-Statik, I really have *NO* idea how AV123 can sell them for $699/pair.  10 quality drivers, no electrolytics in X-over, Sonicap II bypass caps, nice cabinet, etc.  How? 

For people on a tighter budget even, the classic AV123 X-SLS for couple hundred bucks sounded INcredibly good.  The upgraded "Encore" series will likely drop some performance-to-price jaws when they ship.