SP 3.0?

srb

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1180 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:07 am »
Everything runs through the new volume control, something James referred to as a ladder resistor network.  Sounds digital to me, so all analog inputs must be converted to digital then back to analog.

Digitally-controlled analog ladder resistor networks are fairly common and are volume controls that are entirely analog, but just use a digital controller to switch in the appropriate resistor value.  There is no analog > digital > analog conversion of the signal.

Steve

Mag

« Reply #1181 on: 28 Sep 2011, 07:03 am »
...however...the score is 60 to 40 for the silver units! :green:

al.

Check again! :P

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1182 on: 28 Sep 2011, 10:47 am »
Mag,

how did you do this? is it a new picture or is it manipulated?? :scratch: :green:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1183 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:10 am »

Digitally-controlled analog ladder resistor networks are fairly common and are volume controls that are entirely analog, but just use a digital controller to switch in the appropriate resistor value.  There is no analog > digital > analog conversion of the signal.

Steve

Thanks Steve - well said :thumb:

james

servingko

« Reply #1184 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:35 pm »
How does this new volume control on the SP3.0 differ from the volume control on the B100?

Mag

« Reply #1185 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:55 pm »
Mag,

how did you do this? is it a new picture or is it manipulated?? :scratch: :green:

al.
I manipulated it using my new Photoshop CS5. Took me about 8 hours to figure out how to do it. 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1186 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:57 pm »
How does this new volume control on the SP3.0 differ from the volume control on the B100?

Very similar but many more channels of course.

James

mv038856

« Reply #1187 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:00 pm »
Very similar but many more channels of course.

James

So, does the analog signal run through an integrated circuit in the SP-3 volume control or is the resistor network repsonsible for the volume control set up with descrete resistors and an IC controls which ones are used?

The reason why people might be sensitive about the IC thing is that Bryston always pointed out that the descrete setup of the Bryston components is used to "avoid the compromises, phase shift and nonlinearities inherent in IC's."

In fact, i think that in a multi-channel analog bypass setup the SP-3 might have a better, i.e. fully analog, volume control compared to the SP-2. If memory serves me right, the analog volume control (ALPS potentionmeter) of an SP-2 only relates to 2 channel operation, while in multi-channel operation, it relys on the digital volume control. This is not much of an issue if you have a digital source, but forces you to do an analog-to-digital conversion if you want to use the "analog" multi-channel bypass. I have never heard anybody complaining about the multi-channel sound quality of an SP-2 when using the analog multi-channel bypass, though. So, Bryston appears to  be using a high quality A/D converter inside of the SP-2.

Or did I get this all wrong?

Markus

mv038856

« Reply #1188 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:05 pm »
Check again! :P

Wow, cool picture! I do prefer black due to my home cinema focus... I was just wondering why some black units have a rather bright reflection on the blue table...  :lol:

Markus

Mag

« Reply #1189 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:48 pm »
Wow, cool picture! I do prefer black due to my home cinema focus... I was just wondering why some black units have a rather bright reflection on the blue table...  :lol:

Markus
[/quote]

Oh, that's because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't take that into consideration. Here's another one now that I know what to do but I still missed the reflection.

Update

« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2011, 12:45 am by Mag »

john1970

« Reply #1190 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm »
Hi Luke,

Yes we are looking at that now and will be offering a trade in credit depending on the version of the processor - (SP1, SP-1.7 and SP-2)

james

Hi James,

A few questions on the trade in credit:

1) Will it be available to only future purchases or will current orders also be applicable?  I "pre-ordered" a SP3 in early September.
2) Would I work through my dealer or directly through Bryston to obtain the credit?
3) Do I have to be the original owner?  I purchased a used SP1.7 a couple of years ago (SN 000082).

Let me know when you get a chance.  No rush.  Thank you.

Best,
John

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #1191 on: 2 Oct 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hi James,
Can you tell me if you changed the IR codes on the sp3, or are they the same as on the sp1.7? I may use the 1.7 in another capacity and I do not want to control one when I want to control the other... Thanks, Pete

brucek

« Reply #1192 on: 2 Oct 2011, 08:21 pm »
Hi James,
Can you tell me if you changed the IR codes on the sp3, or are they the same as on the sp1.7? I may use the 1.7 in another capacity and I do not want to control one when I want to control the other... Thanks, Pete

You can just check the SP3 manual yourself on the Bryston site.

I would have provided the link but Bryston has put brackets in their url addresses (a big no-no) which disallows linking.

brucek

Phil A

« Reply #1193 on: 2 Oct 2011, 09:20 pm »
The link to the page that has (all) Bryston manuals is - http://www.bryston.com/BrystonSite05/BrystonDocs.html

alexone

« Reply #1194 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:54 pm »
James,

can the SP3's remote be ordered in black while the processor itself is a silver unit???

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1195 on: 8 Oct 2011, 08:00 pm »
James,

can the SP3's remote be ordered in black while the processor itself is a silver unit???

al.

Sure  :thumb:

James

Vipers

« Reply #1196 on: 9 Oct 2011, 10:43 am »
Hi James,

Well the excitement around the SP3 has finally got the better of me and I've just arranged the sale of my BP26-MC to make way for the SP3, also means I'm going to need a BP1.5 also  :roll:

Could you please let me have the dimensions, particularly the height, to see if I need to amend my rack, thanks.

Also is the headphone out on the SP3 the same performance as the BP26? will the BHA-1 still be needed to get the best performance from a good pair of headphones?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1197 on: 9 Oct 2011, 11:50 am »
Hi James,

Well the excitement around the SP3 has finally got the better of me and I've just arranged the sale of my BP26-MC to make way for the SP3, also means I'm going to need a BP1.5 also  :roll:

Could you please let me have the dimensions, particularly the height, to see if I need to amend my rack, thanks.

Also is the headphone out on the SP3 the same performance as the BP26? will the BHA-1 still be needed to get the best performance from a good pair of headphones?

Thanks.

Hi Vipers,

The SP3 is 14.5 inches deep and 6.25 inches high (including the feet) and 17 or 19 inches wide.

The headphone out is 2 discrete Class A amps so it will be very close to the BP26. A lot will depend on the voltage needed to drive the phones used.

james

Vipers

« Reply #1198 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm »
Thanks as ever James, I'll go and find my tape measure :)

alexone

« Reply #1199 on: 12 Oct 2011, 02:10 pm »
James,

any literature already available? (except the manual of course...) :eyebrows:

al.