SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1160 on: 25 Sep 2011, 08:39 pm »
James,

Are you going to make blue LEDs a possibility on the SP3.0 (black 17"), to match the rest of my Bryston gear? Also if you are, will the display be blue as well or would that remain green?

Cheers

Yes Blue is available.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1161 on: 26 Sep 2011, 03:32 am »
I'll be using an Oppo 93 as my only digital source for my SP3 when it arrives.  For $500 it is an unbeliveable bargain.  I'm actually considering purchasing another Oppo 93 as a backup unit.  A truely universal player that also outputs 192/24 over the USB drive. 

Best,
John

John,

i believe that the SP3's usb input accepts 'only' up to 48/16 signals. it would be interesting to know if 192/24 is doable later as an update...

al.

srb

« Reply #1162 on: 26 Sep 2011, 03:44 am »
I'll be using an Oppo 93 as my only digital source for my SP3 when it arrives.  A truely universal player that also outputs 192/24 over the USB drive.

i believe that the SP3's usb input accepts 'only' up to 48/16 signals. it would be interesting to know if 192/24 is doable later as an update...

I don't know about the SP3.0's USB input, but the Oppo BDP-93 doesn't have a USB output.  It has USB and eSATA ports that can read and play files from an attached drive, then output over HDMI or S/PDIF.

Steve

alexone

« Reply #1163 on: 27 Sep 2011, 02:42 pm »
Folks,

the SP3's manual is ready to read at Bryston's website!!! :thumb:

al.

Gary L

« Reply #1164 on: 27 Sep 2011, 04:24 pm »
James,

Am I correct in stating that the SP-3 cannot adjust the L/R balance of 2-channel analog inputs?  In other words, if I connect the balanced analog outputs of my BDA-1 into the balanced analog inputs of the SP-3, can I adjust the L/R balance of the output?  Unlike the SP-2, the SP-3 doesn't have an analog balance control.

Gary L

LucaV

« Reply #1165 on: 27 Sep 2011, 05:43 pm »
Hi James, very glad to see the 3.0 is in production.

ANy news concerning the SP 1.7 trade-in program?
Thanks
Luke

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1166 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:18 pm »
James,

Am I correct in stating that the SP-3 cannot adjust the L/R balance of 2-channel analog inputs?  In other words, if I connect the balanced analog outputs of my BDA-1 into the balanced analog inputs of the SP-3, can I adjust the L/R balance of the output?  Unlike the SP-2, the SP-3 doesn't have an analog balance control.

Gary L

Hi Gary,

You can adjust the left and right trim levels using the front panel menu.  In 1/2 DB steps.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1167 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:20 pm »
Hi James, very glad to see the 3.0 is in production.

ANy news concerning the SP 1.7 trade-in program?
Thanks
Luke

Hi Luke,

Yes we are looking at that now and will be offering a trade in credit depending on the version of the processor - (SP1, SP-1.7 and SP-2)

james

Gary L

« Reply #1168 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:52 pm »
Hi Gary,

You can adjust the left and right trim levels using the front panel menu.  In 1/2 DB steps.

james

James, wouldn't that just adjust the balance for digital inputs?  Doesn't the 2-channel bypass mode 'bypass' the digital circuitry?

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1169 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm »
James, wouldn't that just adjust the balance for digital inputs?  Doesn't the 2-channel bypass mode 'bypass' the digital circuitry?

Gary

Everything goes through the new volume control.

james

alexone

« Reply #1170 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:19 pm »
Everything goes through the new volume control.

james

...then the new volume control is completely digital?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1171 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:49 pm »

...then the new volume control is completely digital?

al.

Its a new design - called a ladder resistor network  - super clean and extremely low distortion.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #1172 on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm »
Its a new design - called a ladder resistor network  - super clean and extremely low distortion.

james

And for those who are not so technically versed (like me  :dunno: )....here is the wikipedia def:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder

john1970

« Reply #1173 on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm »
Folks,

the SP3's manual is ready to read at Bryston's website!!! :thumb:

al.

Thanks for the info on the manual.  I read the manual this evening and have a couple of questions for James:

1) How does one assign HDMI inputs?  The manual specifies the Optical and SPDIF, but I do not see HDMI being metioned.  For example, can DVD be assigned to HDMI4?

2) Is there any special configuration for decoding of 5.1 SACD?  I assume I need to just set my Oppo player to PCM and I should be okay.  Am I correct?

Thanks,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1174 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:12 am »
Hi John

The 8 HDMI inputs line up with the 8 front panel source buttons

No special decoding it will handle SACD as 88.2.

James

Gary L

« Reply #1175 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:32 am »
Thanks James, time to put my BP26 in the classifieds I feel.

You might want to hold on to your BP26.  The SP-3 doesn't appear to have a true analog bypass mode.  Analog signals are apparently run through the SP-3's digital circuitry.  If one is using a BDA-1 the signal goes from digital to analog to digital to analog.  I would think the BDP-1 would sound better with a direct digital signal to the SP-3 rather than running it through a BDA-1.  At least with a direct digital connection you would have only one digital to analog conversion.

James, did you say that the BDP-1 sounded better when connected to a BDA-1 rather than directly to the SP-3?

Gary L

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1176 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:37 am »
You might want to hold on to your BP26.  The SP-3 doesn't appear to have a true analog bypass mode.  Analog signals are apparently run through the SP-3's digital circuitry.  If one is using a BDA-1 the signal goes from digital to analog to digital to analog.  I would think the BDP-1 would sound better with a direct digital signal to the SP-3 rather than running it through a BDA-1.  At least with a direct digital connection you would have only one digital to analog conversion.

James, did you say that the BDP-1 sounded better when connected to a BDA-1 rather than directly to the SP-3?

Gary L

The BP26 and the SP-3 sound very close in analog bypass but I think the BDP sounds better through the BDA-1 with high resolution files.

James

brucek

« Reply #1177 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:04 am »
Analog signals are apparently run through the SP-3's digital circuitry.

Where do you read that?

Gary L

« Reply #1178 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:34 am »
Where do you read that?

Everything runs through the new volume control, something James referred to as a ladder resistor network.  Sounds digital to me, so all analog inputs must be converted to digital then back to analog.

This is a major drawback for me.  I was anxiously waiting for the release of the SP-3 with it's HDMI inputs and balanced XLR analog inputs.  But if the balanced XLR inputs are converted to digital for processing then I think I might just stick with my SP-2.

BrysTony

« Reply #1179 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:04 am »
Everything runs through the new volume control, something James referred to as a ladder resistor network.  Sounds digital to me, so all analog inputs must be converted to digital then back to analog.

This is a major drawback for me.  I was anxiously waiting for the release of the SP-3 with it's HDMI inputs and balanced XLR analog inputs.  But if the balanced XLR inputs are converted to digital for processing then I think I might just stick with my SP-2.

James can correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that a ladder resistor network just means that the volume control is implemented through an integrated circuit (IC) rather than a potentiometer.  Only analog signals will go through the volume control.  I see nothing in the user manual to indicate that an analog signal would be converted to digital and then back to analog.  I would be very surprised if that was happening.

Tony