SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1040 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:42 pm »
Thanks James, just to be clear is the Crystal DAC in single configuration like the BCD-1 or dual like the the BDA-1 and is it the same for all chanels?

Cheers

Single

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1041 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:45 pm »

adol290

« Reply #1042 on: 6 Jun 2011, 06:56 pm »
Hi,

We use the same Crystal DAC in the SP3 as in the BCD-1 but the SP-3 also has a DSP in the circuit path so I will leave the discussion of differences to the greater public. :thumb:

james

Verrrry Interesting.

RKL2525

« Reply #1043 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:41 am »
I am new to this thread and have enjoyed reading about the new SP3 processor. I am considering upgrading from a Meridian G68ADV/HD621 to one unit which will be used to listen to 2 channel music through a 9.1 surround system incorporating height speakers. Can anyone provide information as whether the SP3 will provide Dolby Pro Logic IIz or DTS NEO:X capability? Also how many 12volt triggers will the SP3 provide?

Thanks,

Ron

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1044 on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:40 am »
Hi Ron

The SP3 has 3 triggers. Not sure i know what Z and X are? 

james

Phil A

Joe Keifer

Question regarding the SP3 and HDMI System Connectivity
« Reply #1046 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:49 pm »
Hello James et al:

I am considering an HDMI-based pre-pro to replace the SP1.7 I've enjoyed for many years.  I understand that the SP3 is audio-only and will not process video and that's ok with me.  The questions I have relate to how the SP3 will integrate into my system.  I have a HDMI-capable monitor with 4 inputs and I have 4 sources (DirecTV, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Laptop Computer) that all have a single HDMI output each.  My question is how can I connect source devices with single outputs to both the SP3 and the monitor at the same time?  Do I have to buy some sort of "port multiplying" device or will the SP3 send an unprocessed signal to the monitor?  Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Question regarding the SP3 and HDMI System Connectivity
« Reply #1047 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:04 pm »
Hello James et al:

I am considering an HDMI-based pre-pro to replace the SP1.7 I've enjoyed for many years.  I understand that the SP3 is audio-only and will not process video and that's ok with me.  The questions I have relate to how the SP3 will integrate into my system.  I have a HDMI-capable monitor with 4 inputs and I have 4 sources (DirecTV, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Laptop Computer) that all have a single HDMI output each.  My question is how can I connect source devices with single outputs to both the SP3 and the monitor at the same time?  Do I have to buy some sort of "port multiplying" device or will the SP3 send an unprocessed signal to the monitor?  Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Hi Joe

The SP3 has 8 HDMI ins and 2 HDMI outs.  So in my setup I just run a single 25 foot HDMI cable to my ceiling projector from the SP3 and have 3 HDMI sources plugged into the SP3 inputs.  The SP3 will strip out the audio and pass on the video with each specific input. So if I go from my HDMI cable TV too my HDMI DVD Player the SP3 will switch to the appropriate input and pass on the new video.  So in other words the SP3 will switch the video input based on the input automatically but does not process it in any way.

james

gaderson

« Reply #1048 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:31 pm »
Hi Joe

The SP3 has 8 HDMI ins and 2 HDMI outs.  So in my setup I just run a single 25 foot HDMI cable to my ceiling projector from the SP3 and have 3 HDMI sources plugged into the SP3 inputs.  The SP3 will strip out the audio and pass on the video with each specific input. So if I go from my HDMI cable TV too my HDMI DVD Player the SP3 will switch to the appropriate input and pass on the new video.  So in other words the SP3 will switch the video input based on the input automatically but does not process it in any way.

james

So the $1 million question is: can you matrix this, e.g. show video from one HDMI input but play the audio from a second? i.e. can I do The Dark Side of Oz, or watch 'the game' while listening to music (here in the US the soccer announcers are rather miserable so I tend to just listen to music while watching a game).
Currently I only have my Blu-ray player and DVR directly to HDMI (which is ok since my Pre-Processor only has 2 HDMI ins), and the rest go HDMI to my plasma display and optical/coax to my pre-processor. If the SP3 could overcome the 'crippled' nature of HDMI I could start saving up.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1049 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:46 pm »
So the $1 million question is: can you matrix this, e.g. show video from one HDMI input but play the audio from a second? i.e. can I do The Dark Side of Oz, or watch 'the game' while listening to music (here in the US the soccer announcers are rather miserable so I tend to just listen to music while watching a game).
Currently I only have my Blu-ray player and DVR directly to HDMI (which is ok since my Pre-Processor only has 2 HDMI ins), and the rest go HDMI to my plasma display and optical/coax to my pre-processor. If the SP3 could overcome the 'crippled' nature of HDMI I could start saving up.

Hi gaderson

Never tried that one.  Will ask engineering :scratch:

James

Joe Keifer

« Reply #1050 on: 12 Jun 2011, 08:07 pm »
Hi Joe

james

Perfect!  Many thanks James!

john1970

« Reply #1051 on: 16 Jun 2011, 10:49 am »
Hi

All the material is on the way and we are just waiting for DTS and DD approvals.

james

Hi James,

Any idea on how much longer the DTS and DD approvals will take?  I am just trying to get an idea on when the SP3 should be available.

Cheers,
John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1052 on: 16 Jun 2011, 11:02 am »
Hi James,

Any idea on how much longer the DTS and DD approvals will take?  I am just trying to get an idea on when the SP3 should be available.

Cheers,
John

Hi John

They told us 90 days and that was 3 weeks ago.

James

mcollin6

« Reply #1053 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:01 pm »
Question about audio/ video sync on SP3:
I've got an SP1 that has been upgraded to an SP2.  Running an HDMI cable from my source to my TV with an SPDIF output to the SP2 I notice a slight lag in the audio coming from my sound system when compared to the sound from the TV speakers.  Afaik there is no way to correct this with the SP2 because the video cannot be delayed to match up with the audio.  Is there a way to fix this on the SP3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1054 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:21 pm »
Question about audio/ video sync on SP3:
I've got an SP1 that has been upgraded to an SP2.  Running an HDMI cable from my source to my TV with an SPDIF output to the SP2 I notice a slight lag in the audio coming from my sound system when compared to the sound from the TV speakers.  Afaik there is no way to correct this with the SP2 because the video cannot be delayed to match up with the audio.  Is there a way to fix this on the SP3?

Hi mcollin6,

The newer displays do not seem to have this issue because the refreash rates are quicker. The SP3 does not have any delay sinc feature.

james

jethro

« Reply #1055 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:20 pm »
Hi mcollin6,

The newer displays do not seem to have this issue because the refreash rates are quicker. The SP3 does not have any delay sinc feature.

james

James:

Isn't mcollin6's issue the reverse issue  - the hdmi video/audio is ahead of the SP-2 (spdif) audio ? Could this be a problem with the source delaying the audio on the spdif vs the audio on the hdmi ? Perhaps there is a time adjustment in the source ? I just bought an HDMI TV so I'm getting a bit worried that I'm not going to be able to use my SP-1.7 with it.

--Steve

john1970

« Reply #1056 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:27 pm »
James:

Isn't mcollin6's issue the reverse issue  - the hdmi video/audio is ahead of the SP-2 (spdif) audio ? Could this be a problem with the source delaying the audio on the spdif vs the audio on the hdmi ? Perhaps there is a time adjustment in the source ? I just bought an HDMI TV so I'm getting a bit worried that I'm not going to be able to use my SP-1.7 with it.

--Steve

Hi Steve,

I am using a SP1.7 with my 42 inch panasonic plasma with an Oppo 93 as a source.  I run HDMI to the TV and coax to the SP1.7 for surround sound decoding.  I have not noticed an issue with a video / audio not being in sync; however, I only sit ~8 feet from the TV.  Based on my experience you should be okay.

Best,
John

Vipers

« Reply #1057 on: 19 Jun 2011, 08:52 pm »
Hi James,

Tom from PMC popped into to my new place of the work the other day and was telling me how amazing the SP3 sounded at Munich running on their Active BB5 XBD setup.

Will you possibly be sending a demo unit over to PMC to go round the dealers in the UK?

I fancy organising a SP3 open day  :)

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1058 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm »
Hi James,

Tom from PMC popped into to my new place of the work the other day and was telling me how amazing the SP3 sounded at Munich running on their Active BB5 XBD setup.

Will you possibly be sending a demo unit over to PMC to go round the dealers in the UK?

I fancy organising a SP3 open day  :)

Thanks.

Hi Vipers,

Yes we were really pleased with the sound in Munich - just waiting for DTS and Dolby approvals.

james

Vipers

« Reply #1059 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:45 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes we were really pleased with the sound in Munich - just waiting for DTS and Dolby approvals.

james

I really can't wait to hear it James, I've got our 9B SST2 all ready for action :)