SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1020 on: 28 May 2011, 05:34 pm »
James,

Have you had a chance to A/B the SP3 with the SP2 in 2 channel bypass mode? 

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes I have... and in a blind test no discernable differences.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1021 on: 30 May 2011, 04:42 pm »
Hi Al

No it shows the sample rate in KHZ.

James

James,

...so the SP3 shows 2.882,4 Khz ?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1022 on: 30 May 2011, 04:44 pm »

James,

...so the SP3 shows 2.882,4 Khz ?

al.

It shows 88.2 on the display.

james

JeffO

« Reply #1023 on: 31 May 2011, 01:37 am »
It shows 88.2 on the display.

james

James is using the Oppo to convert DSD to PCM in the player, the SP3 is not playing DSD directly and based on Jame's previous posts I do not believe it accepts native DSD via HDMI.  The sample rate displayed is what the player converts to, I believe the new 93 converts DSD to a higher PCM sample rate. 

Jeff

JeffO

« Reply #1024 on: 31 May 2011, 01:43 am »
Thanks Dom and Tony

I am still going through that exercise and there is a difference on the digital side using the BDP and the BCD as the source. I am just trying to assess as accurately as I can that difference. Will report back. I think it will come down to what kind of source and material is most important to you - stereo or surround.

As for the analog stereo side it's a tough call. 

James

James,

How does the SP3 do against the BDA for 2 channel now that you have had it for a few weeks??????  Interested in both 44.1 and high resolution material. 

Jeff

kosh2258

« Reply #1025 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:55 pm »
James,

Does the SP3 address the problem the SP2 has with going into detect mode (essentially muting) between CD tracks, depending on how the CD was mastered?  (In my case the SP2 is an upgrade of the SP1.7)
The relay click and cutting off the start of songs is annoying.
I've resorted to running the SP2 in bypass 5.1 and using the analog input from my Denon A1UDCI to work around that. 

Ted

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1026 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:09 pm »
James,

Does the SP3 address the problem the SP2 has with going into detect mode (essentially muting) between CD tracks, depending on how the CD was mastered?  (In my case the SP2 is an upgrade of the SP1.7)
I've resorted to running the SP2 in bypass 5.1 and using the analog input from my Denon A1UDCI to work around that. 

Ted

Hi Ted

Yes that seems to be solved in the SP3 - there are 3 different settings to allow you to contol it.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1027 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:12 pm »

James,

How does the SP3 do against the BDA for 2 channel now that you have had it for a few weeks??????  Interested in both 44.1 and high resolution material. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff

It's very close - the SP-3 is really quite good in both passthrough and the new digital board is very smooth sounding. We used it in the Munich show recently with PMC and we were all very happy with the sound.

James

brucek

« Reply #1028 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:13 pm »
James,

Ted
Is this not a function of the player rather than the SP2?

With a 'CD only' player, since the output is exclusively PCM, the player output remains PCM digital zero between songs. With a multifunction player (i.e DVD's, CD's) this is not the case and results in the SP2 decoders beginning a bitstream detection and mode switching routine for either PCM, DTS, AC3. That's the relay click you hear.

I certainly don't ever get that function with a dedicated CD only player.

What type of settings are included on the SP3 to alleviate this?

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1029 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:46 pm »

With a 'CD only' player, since the output is exclusively PCM, the player output remains PCM digital zero between songs. With a multifunction player (i.e DVD's, CD's) this is not the case and results in the SP2 decoders beginning a bitstream detection and mode switching routine for either PCM, DTS, AC3. That's the relay click you hear.

brucek

Hi Bruce

We have a PCM zerorun control which you can set.

James

skunark

« Reply #1030 on: 6 Jun 2011, 06:03 am »
Now that I've decided to stay strictly two-channel and no longer in the market for the SP3, when will it be released?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1031 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:34 am »
Now that I've decided to stay strictly two-channel and no longer in the market for the SP3, when will it be released?

Hi

All the material is on the way and we are just waiting for DTS and DD approvals.

james

adol290

« Reply #1032 on: 6 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm »
Hi Jeff

It's very close - the SP-3 is really quite good in both passthrough and the new digital board is very smooth sounding. We used it in the Munich show recently with PMC and we were all very happy with the sound.

James

What audio chip(s) do you use in the SP3?

So are you saying that running a BDP-1 through the SP3 would be very close
 to running a BDP-1 through a BDA-1 into a BP-26

kosh2258

« Reply #1033 on: 6 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm »

brucek

While what you say is true, multifunction players are a reality.  Equipment priced at this level should be expected to work properly with other components.  To imply it's the multifunction player's problem isn't appropriate.  It was something overlooked/unanticipated/not uncovered during field testing. That happens.

I was trying to find out if Bryston had allowed for this on the SP3, which James confirmed.

I sent an inquiry to Bryston service about the issue attempting to find out if there were any settings or a firmware upgrade that might address this issue and never received a reply or acknowledgment. 

Ted

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1034 on: 6 Jun 2011, 02:45 pm »
While what you say is true, multifunction players are a reality.  Equipment priced at this level should be expected to work properly with other components.  To imply it's the multifunction player's problem isn't appropriate.  It was something overlooked/unanticipated/not uncovered during field testing. That happens.

I was trying to find out if Bryston had allowed for this on the SP3, which James confirmed.

I sent an inquiry to Bryston service about the issue attempting to find out if there were any settings or a firmware upgrade that might address this issue and never received a reply or acknowledgment. 

Ted

Hi Ted,

Service would not be aware of this particular feature but that does not forgive them for no reply :duh:

james

brucek

« Reply #1035 on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:19 pm »
Quote from: kosh2258
To imply it's the multifunction player's problem isn't appropriate.

Sorry, I'll withhold my observations and comments next time.

brucek

Alpha10

« Reply #1036 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:26 pm »
What audio chip(s) do you use in the SP3?

So are you saying that running a BDP-1 through the SP3 would be very close
 to running a BDP-1 through a BDA-1 into a BP-26

Great question    :notworthy:

James?

kosh2258

« Reply #1037 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:28 pm »
Hi Ted,

Service would not be aware of this particular feature but that does not forgive them for no reply :duh:

james
James I was unclear in my statement.  I meant I had asked about the SP2.  I realize service wouldn't know about SP3 features.  Sorry for the confusion.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1038 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:30 pm »
Hi,

We use the same Crystal DAC in the SP3 as in the BCD-1 but the SP-3 also has a DSP in the circuit path so I will leave the discussion of differences to the greater public. :thumb:

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1039 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:40 pm »
Hi,

We use the same Crystal DAC in the SP3 as in the BDA-1 but the SP-3 also has a DSP in the circuit path so I will leave the discussion of differences to the greater public. :thumb:

james

Thanks James, just to be clear is the Crystal DAC in single configuration like the BCD-1 or dual like the the BDA-1 and is it the same for all chanels?

Cheers