With my PMC's

Thanks James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #981 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:18 am »
Man after my own heart. Room eq sucks the life of of decent kit. Better off matching kit up properly, placing it properly and cabling it properly.

If you play an acoustic guitar in your room, THAT IS HOW IT SOUNDS. You don't equalise it because cus it's to bassy in one seat.

We don't all sit in a recording studio, and when you go to a live performance you are at the mercy of where you sit.

Marketing is a wonderful thing.

I totally agree with Dav1dF most eq is poor, it's there because once manufacturer a offers it, manufacturer b has to to compete.

Nearly every time when I calibrate someone's tv I get asked to sort their av sound out. Every time the auto set up is used it's the same simple problems. Centre Chanel too low, rears too high and sub dominating. Audyssey sucks the life out of the sound IMHO and simple settings of Chanel distance and levels improve things dramatically along with correct settings of the amps crossover and doing the same with the sub controls.

Most people have not got a clue what proper bass is. The other mistake and yes this down room limitations is the main seat (usually) sofa is against the rear wall so you get room boundary bass.

To help here you place the sub in the main seat and walk round the room listening for bass nodes (places where bass rises, those are the places the sub should sit but you have to experiment to find a spot where the bass is likeable.

The other thing while we are at is is what is the correct distance to sit from a screen, the ISF trained answer is simple. Where do you like to sit. That is the correct place.

I do find it amusing that people spend a fortune on quality kit then destroy it with eq.

However, it's your kit, your ears and your personal preference, but I've yet to encounter anyone who did not think manual intervention did not improve the automated one.

With movies again I find it amusing. Take the film 2012. Does anyone know how the sound of the ground giving way with buildings crashing down around you while flying a plane through the middle of it SHOULD SOUND IN YOUR FRONT ROOM!

Your room is the room. Unless you build a bespoke one but that guitar will be a guitar where ever you play it and sound different in every room you play it in in your house or anywhere else.

Bumptious

Mag

« Reply #982 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:50 pm »
When you have a multi-channel system with av/receiver there are so many variables and parameter options that it can be difficult to adjust by ear and find the optimal settings.

For me, first you take an spl meter and adjust speaker levels so they measure the same at the listening chair. Then you use the auto room correction, this adjusts the balance and gets the distance correct. After that you tweak the parameters manually by ear to where it sounds right.

Suprisingly when I first adjust the parameters manually by ear. It was almost the same as auto room correction setting. Except my manual balance was off and I couldn't tell by ear where it should be adjusted. The auto correction though really dialed down the sub bass which I didn't like and I bumped that up much higher.

Further tweaking, adjusting speaker size to either small or large can make a huge difference in bass, upper bass and mid-range.

TL5

« Reply #983 on: 30 Mar 2011, 07:34 pm »
Hi everyone  - I just joined this forum. I'm excited about the sp3, but have a couple of questions. When you say there is "no video board" installed, what exactly does this mean? Will the 2 HDMI ouputs still output video, but just not process it? If so, this is just what I want!   

TL5

« Reply #984 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:44 pm »
One more question: On the prototype SP3, it looks like there was an "enter" button inside of the 4 directional buttons towards the left of the unit. Now, on the SP3 picture on page 47 of this thread, it appears the "enter" button is gone. Where has it's function been reassigned to?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #985 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:40 pm »
One more question: On the prototype SP3, it looks like there was an "enter" button inside of the 4 directional buttons towards the left of the unit. Now, on the SP3 picture on page 47 of this thread, it appears the "enter" button is gone. Where has it's function been reassigned to?

Hi - right button is now enter.

james

mv038856

« Reply #986 on: 13 Apr 2011, 08:43 pm »

We are currently building 6 units - if all goes well we are finally ready.

James,

Any news from Dolby and/or DTS?

Am I going to see the SP-3 at the High End in Munich at the new exhibitors box?

Cheers

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #987 on: 13 Apr 2011, 10:19 pm »
Hi markus,

Yes the plan is to show the SP3 at Munich.  We are sharing a booth with PMC.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #988 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:31 pm »
Hi markus,

Yes the plan is to show the SP3 at Munich.  We are sharing a booth with PMC.

james

James,

will the price of the trade-in be announced at the High End Show in Munich?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #989 on: 14 Apr 2011, 05:10 pm »
James,

will the price of the trade-in be announced at the High End Show in Munich?

al.

No - we are still trying to sort that out.

james

alexone

« Reply #990 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:22 pm »
James,

can the SP3 drive two stereo amps via its analog xlr outputs? (bi-amping the speakers in a stereo setup).

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #991 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:09 pm »
James,

can the SP3 drive two stereo amps via its analog xlr outputs? (bi-amping the speakers in a stereo setup).

al.

Hi Al,

Yes but the balanced outs would have 6dB more gain.

james

alexone

« Reply #992 on: 8 May 2011, 10:16 am »
James,

does the SP3 accept SACD (DSD) digital signals via its HDMI connectors?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #993 on: 8 May 2011, 10:43 am »
James,

does the SP3 accept SACD (DSD) digital signals via its HDMI connectors?

al.

Hi Al,

No - just PCM Digital and the new high def Dolby HD and DTS Master.  The SP3 is really optimized for Surround playback not Stereo and SACD is really not being supported now.  By the way our German distributor has an SP3 now for the Munich Show so you should be able to see and hear one there. They are setting up a room with PMC and have a surround demo planned.

james

alexone

« Reply #994 on: 8 May 2011, 10:48 am »
ok. thanks, James. and the tension is rising...can't await to see and hear the new SP3 :thumb:.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #995 on: 8 May 2011, 11:12 am »
Hi Al,

Here is the email I got from our German Distributor on Friday:

Sent: May 6, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Brian W Russell and James Tanner
Subject: SP3

Dear Brian and James,

Today was very, very busy day, I was not able to write earlier.

Regarding SP3:

SUPERB!

We waited so long on this unit, it will take a little bit time till we realised that this is actually a working unit. We had test for 4 hours with all formats except USB and LAN. I have following statements and comments:

Sound is as expected excellent!

Video so far tested as coming from player and this is good

We like very much that you can configure both HDMI and SDIF on one input and in both case video is passing through.

I like very much the switching being made with slightly fad out/in. This is the proper level

I think this is the fastest start up from one processor you can find on the market. It takes only 6-7 seconds. Fantastic!

Switching is working very good and configuration was quite simple.

I wish you nice day.

Best regards
Edvard Potisk

AViTech, Dkfm. Edvard Potisk e. U.

alexone

« Reply #996 on: 8 May 2011, 11:26 am »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

al.

alexone

« Reply #997 on: 9 May 2011, 05:49 am »
James,

are the BIT units at the show as well?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #998 on: 9 May 2011, 10:24 am »
James,

are the BIT units at the show as well?

al.

No the Torus will be as we have not built Bit units for overseas markets yet.

james

hapthai

« Reply #999 on: 9 May 2011, 02:25 pm »
Hi James,

Does the SP3 support FLAC up to 192K

Thanks