SP 3.0?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #960 on: 25 Mar 2011, 06:56 pm »
thanks, James. reason why i was asking: Sempre Audio's website states that the SP3 will have an analog 7.1 XLR input.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #961 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:17 pm »
thanks, James. reason why i was asking: Sempre Audio's website states that the SP3 will have an analog 7.1 XLR input.

al.

RCA 7.1 'IN' not XLR.

7.1 RCA and XLR 'OUT'

AES EBU Digital stereo "IN" x 2

AES EBU analog stereo pairs 'IN' x 2

alexone

« Reply #962 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:24 pm »
RCA 7.1 'IN' not XLR.

7.1 RCA and XLR 'OUT'

AES EBU Digital stereo "IN" x 2

AES EBU analog stereo pairs 'IN' x 2

yeah! and that's the way it goes... :green:

al.

skunark

« Reply #963 on: 25 Mar 2011, 08:13 pm »
James,

Will the HDMI inputs support PCM, bitstream and DSD? 

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #964 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:33 pm »
James,

Will the HDMI inputs support PCM, bitstream and DSD? 

Jim

I do not think DSD but I will check.

James

kosh2258

« Reply #965 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:21 pm »
In looking at the back panel, I'm not seeing the low voltage control block for turning on other devices.  Is that feature no longer being provided?

skunark

« Reply #966 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:29 pm »
Is the volume control for the SP3 a lot like the BP26? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #967 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:34 pm »
In looking at the back panel, I'm not seeing the low voltage control block for turning on other devices.  Is that feature no longer being provided?

Hi Josh

Yes there are some 12 volt triggers.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #968 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:35 pm »
Is the volume control for the SP3 a lot like the BP26?

No more like the B100.

James

RonCH

« Reply #969 on: 28 Mar 2011, 10:37 am »
Nice setup :thumb:

james
Great photo - I like the direction Bryston's styling is going in.  The slightly bigger buttons and larger displays.  Looks great.

adol290

« Reply #970 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:08 pm »

Will the SP3 have any type of Equalizer adjustment settings.

example

Equalizer Manual
Channel Front

25Hz   0dB
40Hz   0dB
63Hz   0dB
100Hz 0dB
160Hz 0dB
250Hz 0dB
400Hz 0dB
ETC....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #971 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:11 pm »
Will the SP3 have any type of Equalizer adjustment settings.

example

Equalizer Manual
Channel Front

25Hz   0dB
40Hz   0dB
63Hz   0dB
100Hz 0dB
160Hz 0dB
250Hz 0dB
400Hz 0dB
ETC....

Sorry - NO EQ - screws up the time!

james

adol290

« Reply #972 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:25 pm »

Don't understand what you mean about the time

Vipers

« Reply #973 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:51 am »
Hi James,

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can afford a SP3 straight away  :icon_frown: but I'm just curious as to whether it will pass through a 3D video signal OK and are they HDMI 1.4 connections?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #974 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:35 am »
Hi James,

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can afford a SP3 straight away  :icon_frown: but I'm just curious as to whether it will pass through a 3D video signal OK and are they HDMI 1.4 connections?

Thanks,

Hi Vipers

Because we only strip the audio and pass on the video the 1.3 vs 1.4 does not matter to the SP3 but the connectors are HDMI 1.4.

James

Vipers

« Reply #975 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:16 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks, I thought as much, so passing a 3d signal thru won't be problem then I guess?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #976 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks, I thought as much, so passing a 3d signal thru won't be problem then I guess?

Thanks,

No problem - I don't know about over the pond Vipers but 3D is not making much of a dent over here as far as i can see :scratch:

james

alexone

« Reply #977 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:21 pm »
i really can't understand why the Industry is trying to make a hype around that all new 3D...who needs it? who wants to sit in the living room starring at the flatscreen (and at each other person!!!) while wearing  big, black and ugly glasses??

WHO needs it? :scratch: :duh:

al.

Vipers

« Reply #978 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:21 pm »
No problem - I don't know about over the pond Vipers but 3D is not making much of a dent over here as far as i can see :scratch:

james

No, I think it's the same over here, tbh it doesn't overly interest me, more of a gimmick really, but I guess some potential SP3 owners may have 3D projectors or screens, so I was just checking.

I did watch Pirhana 3D round a friends recently on his PJ and Kelly Brook did look particurarly good in 3D I have to say :P

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #979 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:30 pm »
"Active room control , flatly stated, does not work. Never did -- never will. Simple rules of physics vs the human hearing function. The very idea and execution...basically...retards the reproduced sound that emanates from the speakers in such a way that it bears little resemblance to what was recorded on the disk. I've also seen active room control devices blow drivers. The room must fundamentally be corrected via acoustic treatment FIRST...and then MAYBE some small amount of active control may, I repeat -may be utilized. This is not a rant against active control systems...merely a fact.

If your particular room does not allow for proper acoustic treatment, then fix the room, or move into another one. Ultimately, as one's understanding of what is actually going on in a given actively eq'd system -one that is involved in electronically manipulating the output of said system for 'room correction'-, one will come to the seemingly startling revelation that they simply don't work.

The source of the problem is that the reflective time smear characteristics of the room 'issues'..remains intact, and the direct radiator sound source is being retarded to compensate for this. Thus the result is a time smeared mess where the issues remain, and the original source is destroyed.

This is about as completely, irrevocably, bass-ackwards as one can get. Great for pro ambient environments or large auditoriums but they don't work in a serious two channel or serious HT system."

Here's a response someone provided to me recently:

"I used to have French client that told me "I see based on your demo that what you're recommending works in practice, but we can not implement it if it does not work in theory."

I used a Tact setup two homes ago in a living room theater setup. The room had lousy "physics": asymmetric room, speakers in entertainment cabinets up high with subs down low, chairs up against plate glass windows, etc. In that environment the Tact made a remarkable improvement in imaging, in dialog intelligibility, in air and ambience, etc. It wasn't ever up to the standards of an amazing room, but it was an order of magnitude improvement.

In another room in that same home, a professionally designed room with terrific acoustics, extensive room treatments, etc., that same Tact unit was detrimental to the sound.

Based on my experience I wouldn't hesitate to try a Tact or something similar in a lousy room (or even a Rane PEQ if that was all that I could afford), and, would be pretty hesitant about the same in a good room."

Point of all is, if you really care about great sound, fix your room and forget about EQ. Having fixed my own room with some professional help, I am a firm believer that about 50% of what you hear is the room and the rest is your equipment. When you put Bryston and PMC is a well designed room, it is nothing short of awesome.