SP 3.0?

gingellr

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #880 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:00 pm »

We think between 9 - 10K

James

Thanks for that, i did see a figure like that in a previous post but i assumed that was for the video SP3 version, i think a year..ish ago you were talking around the 5K mark for the audio version.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #881 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:28 pm »
Thanks for that, i did see a figure like that in a previous post but i assumed that was for the video SP3 version, i think a year..ish ago you were talking around the 5K mark for the audio version.

Hi

No sorry the Audio only version was always in that price range. In fact we are thinking that we will not be offering an internal video version. Based on the compromises and also the ever changing video requirements 

James

canucks0

« Reply #882 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:14 pm »
James,

On the SP3.....

1) One or two zones?

2) For keypad control are you offering the RS232 and the ethernet? Or, is the ethernet reserved for updates? If the RS232 is the keypad control (for Creston, AMX and others) is there an adapter that can go from an ethernet connection to RS-232? My current keypads in the home use Cat5 with an ethernet end which ultimately plug into my McIntosh MX120 rear for control.

Thanks. Dave.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #883 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:06 pm »
James,

On the SP3.....

1) One or two zones?

2) For keypad control are you offering the RS232 and the ethernet? Or, is the ethernet reserved for updates? If the RS232 is the keypad control (for Creston, AMX and others) is there an adapter that can go from an ethernet connection to RS-232? My current keypads in the home use Cat5 with an ethernet end which ultimately plug into my McIntosh MX120 rear for control.

Thanks. Dave.

Hi Dave,

One zone - asking engineering on question 2.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #884 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:25 pm »
Hi Dave,

From Engineering

Two zones (main and remote)

SP3 will have IP control.
Although the mcintosh controllers have an RJ45 jack, the pinout is not standard ethernet.

Ritchief

« Reply #885 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:07 pm »
Marius,

If you are going to stay with a 2 channel system then I would recommend you go with the BDA-1 over the SP3.  The SP3 is optomized for a multichannel system while the BDA is optomized for 2 channel.  I have heard both and they sound great in their respective systems but I do not believe the SP3 will sound as good as the BDA in a 2 channel system (but it would probably be close). 

Jeff

Jeff,

I am having a similar dilemma, where I wish to have the best of both worlds. Given your advice would the BDA & SP3 provide the opportunity for the ultimate (?) 2 channel and surround sound. Or, is it just better to go for the BP26 and SP3 ???

JeffO

« Reply #886 on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:44 am »
Jeff,

I am having a similar dilemma, where I wish to have the best of both worlds. Given your advice would the BDA & SP3 provide the opportunity for the ultimate (?) 2 channel and surround sound. Or, is it just better to go for the BP26 and SP3 ???

I have not heard the analogue passthru on the SP3, but assuming it is as good as the SP1.7 and SP2 (a safe assumption right James) then the BDA/SP3 combination would be hard to beat. 

My personal ultimate would be 2 separate systems, one for 2 channel BP26/BDA and one for multichannel SP3, this way you can optomize speaker selection and position for both. 

Unlike James I do not have the space available for 2 (or 3) separate systems without moving some of the wife's stuff  :nono: so I have had an SP1.7 in a 5.1 system for over 6 years.  I am very happy with this unit, the DD and DTS processing is hard to beat, and have not found anything worth replacing it with yet. 

With the SP3 I hope to get the same sound quality plus the new lossless codecs.  I am thinking of teaming it with the new OPPO 93 (plays movies and Flac files from a USB drive as well as any shiny disc) to get excellent surround and good 2 channel audio. 

Jeff

BrystonFan

« Reply #887 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:08 pm »
How would you integrate the BDA-1 with the SP3 or (SP1.7/SP2) ?

:scratch:

JeffO

« Reply #888 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:27 am »
How would you integrate the BDA-1 with the SP3 or (SP1.7/SP2) ?

Connect all the 2 channel digital sources (CDP, computer, BDP) to the BDA-1 then connect the analogue out of the BDA to one of the 2 channel analogue inputs on the SP.  Set the SP to 2 channel passthru. 

The strength of the Bryston SP1.7 and SP2 is its analogue passthru. 

BrystonFan

« Reply #889 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:42 pm »
Thanks JeffO

Got it. :thumb:

I think I will wait for a BDA-1 & BDP-1 combo special pricing in the new year.

Sharpen the Bryston pencil James!  :icon_lol:

Napalm

« Reply #890 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:18 pm »
Attention Blu-Ray fans. You've already been obsoleted:

http://www.blu-raydisc.info/format-spec/r3-spec.php

Knowing $ony I am confident that they will use the opportunity to introduce a new HDMI version too.

ROFLMAO.

Nap.  :rotflmao:

skunark

« Reply #891 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:56 pm »
Attention Blu-Ray fans. You've already been obsoleted:

http://www.blu-raydisc.info/format-spec/r3-spec.php

Knowing $ony I am confident that they will use the opportunity to introduce a new HDMI version too.

ROFLMAO.

Nap.  :rotflmao:

Did you even read that page or you just like to stir up trouble? It's a new recordable format for blu-ray, nothing unlike the introduction of recordable media for cd-rom, film, etc.   

Napalm

« Reply #892 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:22 pm »
Did you even read that page or you just like to stir up trouble? It's a new recordable format for blu-ray, nothing unlike the introduction of recordable media for cd-rom, film, etc.

The recordable CDs had exactly the same capacity as the non-recordable ones and they were specifically designed to be compatible with existing readers/players.

Did you get that part where these BDXL discs are double the capacity of existing BD discs and existing BD players will not be able to read them?

Nap.  :duh:

skunark

« Reply #893 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:38 pm »
Since it's designed for professional applications, consumers watching blu-ray movies won't even care about this.   

Napalm

« Reply #894 on: 26 Nov 2010, 12:41 am »
Since it's designed for professional applications, consumers watching blu-ray movies won't even care about this.

Pioneer, Sharp, Panasonic and Buffalo are already out with consumer products. Including Blu-Ray standalone players/recorders.

Nap.

mv038856

« Reply #895 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:15 pm »
Hi James,

any news regarding the production launch of the SP-3...

...hope late this year very early next we will be in production.

Have you started or are all ressources focussed on building BDP-1s?

And, of course, the though one... any news there? Any international pricing yet?

Thanks for the input on the trade in issue- its a tough one!

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #896 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:19 pm »
Hi Markus,

There will definitely be a trade in policy but no pricing details as of yet.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #897 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:32 pm »
Hi Markus,

There will definitely be a trade in policy but no pricing details as of yet.

james

...the world (including me!!!) can't await the launch of the SP3 and the trade-in options!!!

al.

yartle

« Reply #898 on: 7 Dec 2010, 08:20 am »
How about and deal for new owners and not just current owners (OK I’m being a bit selfish here but if you don’t ask and all that). I was thinking a special on the SP 3 and BDP-1 if bought together?  This would be enough to get me to buy the BDP-1 and I could talk SWMBO into the idea as I would be saving money!

Anyway, on another note – any further news on the SP3 or specification?  I am hanging on for this processor but I can’t put up with using the terrible pre-outs on my AVR for too much longer!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #899 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:25 pm »
James,

let's say the trade-in program is reality:
if someone then wants to trade in the SP2 for a SP3...is the condition of the SP2 important (things like scratches and so on...)?
i mean is a rough used processor less worth than a slightly used one?

al.

and if you are back from NYC...how was it?