SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #840 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:40 pm »
James,

the SP2 shows "Clipping" on its display if the incoming analog signal has more than 2V (Bypass excluded).

the same for the SP3?

al.

Hi Al,

The 'clipping' overload is a THX thing - SP3 has no THX.

james

mv038856

« Reply #841 on: 28 Oct 2010, 10:43 pm »
   It would be a HUGE mistake for bryston to take trade-ins ( imho).  I have always wondered and speculated what companies do with such trades.....get it?  I think it could actually hurt Bryston's rep as then people would start saying bryston is stripping the units and using second-hand parts to make their new units...
  Sell it and move on.That is the nature of technology.....

I don't agree. Bryston has always followed a different approach regarding product upgrades or if technology advanced compared to other manufacturers. I think customer swallow too much if they accept that they should dump their equipment and are supposed to throw in their money on a yearly basis due to technology changes.
  • First, Bryston technology is sonically superior to most of the stuff out there to an extent that frequent changes of the gear are not necessary to stay on top.
  • Second, Bryston keeps to its word. And the promise was that the modular design of the SP-1, SP-1.7 and SP-2 allowed for upgrades as technology advanced. Now we are at a point where an upgrade of the older units isn't feasible anymore. I think, Bryston won't promise such an upgradability again for the SP-3, just as they reduced the warranty on the digital components to 5 years (the SP-1 had 20 year warranty on everything!), but I expect they still would honor the warranty on a SP-1 if it was 19 years old. With the SP-3 upgrade, whatever it will look like, it is not to make big bucks, but to keep a promise.
  • Third, if you label a product as 'refurbished', everybody knows that it has been used before. If it comes with a check-out sheet from Bryston and is covered with a warranty from Bryston, customers won't mind that it has been used before, because Bryston guarantees that the unit is and will remain within specification. The reputation wouldn't suffer if it is made transparent what the traded-in units are used for. There wouldn't be any room for speculations...

I think that once Bryston has disclosed what the terms of the upgrade/trade-in are, every owner of a SP-1, SP-1.7 or SP-2 can decide for himself if he stays with Bryston and whether trading in the unit or selling it is the better solution. The trade-in would certainly be more convenient than selling it yourself.

Another 2 cent contribution. ;)

Markus

Phil A

« Reply #842 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:05 am »
I agree with the prior post.  It is common practice for some high end cos. to offer trade-ins.  HT processors changes more rapidly than many other things and it is a nice practice to keep customers loyal and buying your new products.

Stephen L

« Reply #843 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:33 am »
I can't afford buying new at this point in time. I would certainly consider refurbished Bryston gear. :thumb:

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #844 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:06 am »
I can't afford buying new at this point in time. I would certainly consider refurbished Bryston gear. :thumb:

Steve

It's also a very tough thing to buy expensive digital or video the way technology changes.  Buying used makes lots of sense when it comes to high end digital.

budt

« Reply #845 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:48 am »
   Well, in the past couple of years a lot of audio companies have went down the tubes.I really like Bryston products and want them to be around for a long time to come . I want to be able to purchase new bryston products in the future.Demanding a "trade in" program might not be finacially healthy for bryston in this climate.....just my 2 cents....

Phil A

« Reply #846 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:02 am »
Given the price of the new pre/pro and their intention to continue to manufacture the SP2, I'm not sure there are going to be massive trade-ins from every Bryston owner.  Taking the trade-ins will spur sales of the new pre/pro for those that do it.  I'm not sure how your desire to purchase new products is going to be hurt? :scratch:  Other high end companies have done trades.  Linn did it with some of their early pre/pros as did others.  I see it as keeping some people Bryston owners vs. looking at other pre/pros.  Time will tell

budt

« Reply #847 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:06 am »
  Yeah, I know what you mean.There are pros and cons...tough call......
  What's the msrp of the new unit?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #848 on: 29 Oct 2010, 07:51 am »
James,

are there any pics of the SP3's remote???

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #849 on: 29 Oct 2010, 08:02 am »
James,

are there any pics of the SP3's remote???

al.

It will look very similar to the SP2 remote.

James

emorante

« Reply #850 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:35 pm »
It will look very similar to the SP2 remote.

James
Dear James, I finally are purchased but unfortunately sp2 resets itself every two minutes what can I do?

grazie.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #851 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:38 pm »
Dear James, I finally are purchased but unfortunately sp2 resets itself every two minutes what can I do?

grazie.

It sounds like Low Voltage

james

emorante

« Reply #852 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:51 pm »
It sounds like Low Voltage

james
No it only happens with 6ch with spdif works ok
grazie,ple
excuse my English

emorante

« Reply #853 on: 29 Oct 2010, 03:54 pm »
No it only happens with 6ch with spdif works ok
grazie,ple
excuse my English
I hit it in just 6ch bypass initialization
bye

Mad Mr H

« Reply #854 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:51 pm »
Hi Phil,

No we have given up on that idea.

james

It may have already, I have not checked BUT.......

When Audio and Video are done via seperate routes at some point the HDMI cables needs a 1:2 split, it would be excellent if the SP3 had both inputs and ONE output for on going HDMI signal - audio / video or audio&video if choice is possible.

Thank you. (Fear I might be a little late with this request!)

hfriedman

« Reply #855 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:16 pm »
What functions will the ethernet port provide?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #856 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:45 pm »
What functions will the ethernet port provide?

Software downloads and remote troubleshooting.

james

hfriedman

« Reply #857 on: 29 Oct 2010, 07:06 pm »
Software downloads and remote troubleshooting.

james

No IP control?  This would work well with a BDP-1.  All IP control solution.

CR

« Reply #858 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:34 am »
Hi Folks,

We are considering maintaining production of the SP2 because if you do not need or want HDMI (hi-res) the SP2 still makes a great sound.  Also the SP2 will still be much cheaper than the SP3.

james

Hi James,

Since you have mentioned the above ,will there be some possible mods for the back panel ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #859 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:51 am »

Hi James,

Since you have mentioned the above ,will there be some possible mods for the back panel ?

Hi,

No plans for that it is just that we still sell SP-2's and a number of customers have told me they have no interest in HDMI.

james