SP 3.0?

drummermitchell

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #800 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:47 am »
I'd like to see that also,but if it degrades HT or two channel even a tad,I wouldn't be interested.
I want the best of both worlds :o if possibe.
there must be a reason why the 26 has no pass thru.
I hate having to go behind and swap out cables.

Phil A

« Reply #801 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:43 am »
I'd like to see that also,but if it degrades HT or two channel even a tad,I wouldn't be interested.

I can't imagine it degrading if done right.  I think when the BP26 was designed it was not as popular.  I'm just tired of all the processing changes.  I'd rather have a good audio preamp and buy a $1,600 pre/pro (I think that is what the Onkyo lists for - not sure) and after 5 years if stuff changes, I'll move it to my basement system.  I just grabbed a great deal a month or so ago on a Pioneer 1120 as I don't use the system tons (daytime football on weekends more than anything else) and I already have overkill.  I rotate stuff out of the main system either to the basement or bedroom systems.  I could probably sell my SP 1.7 more the same or more than I can buy an Onkyo pre/pro.

Napalm

« Reply #802 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:18 pm »
Maybe a device based on this:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/09/29/0513225/HDCP-EncryptionDecryption-Code-Released

would help. I heard that Bryston has some good Linux / C developers  :icon_twisted:

Of course, if our politicians are successful at passing bill C-32, it would be illegal even if you don't otherwise infringe copyright (i.e. you don't use it to make copies, but just to decrypt audio when playing genuine DVDs to pass the datastream to your DAC of choice).

Nap.

John Casler

« Reply #803 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:34 pm »
I'd rather have a good audio preamp and buy a $1,600 pre/pro (I think that is what the Onkyo lists for - not sure) and after 5 years if stuff changes, I'll move it to my basement system. 

Hi Phil,

I am an ONKYO Pro and ONKYO dealer and several of my BRYSTON preamp customers do exactly that.  ONKYO for HT processing and BRYSTON for 2 channel.

Many hold HT to a slightly lesser standard sonically since virtually all the sound is "re-engineered" in post production and does not have the same qualities to preserve as live 2 channel audio.

The 5507 and 5508 "retail" for $2249, but street price can be around your $1600.

Phil A

« Reply #804 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:24 pm »
John - I was probably thinking of a model from a couple of years back.  I'm fine with Onkyo for HT.  Many moons back I traded my old 828thx receiver I had used in the bedroom system at one point and it is still going strong for the person who has it.  I gave him a multi-channel RCA to db25 cable and he can enjoy any of the new formats.  I just got a Pioneer 1120 for the seconday basement system for $500 as it is fine for what I use the system for and it would not be painful to stick a nice Onkyo pre/pro down there in a few years and get a decent multi-channel amp

Napalm

« Reply #805 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:54 pm »
Many hold HT to a slightly lesser standard sonically since virtually all the sound is "re-engineered" in post production and does not have the same qualities to preserve as live 2 channel audio.

Napalm approves. I actually hold it at a way lesser standard.

Nap.  :P

mv038856

« Reply #806 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:18 pm »
Well, it is and will remain a general problem that technology in home theater moves somewhat faster than in the area of analog amplification.

That's what Bryston tried to address with the concept of the SP-1 that was upgradable to a higher degree than most of the pre/pros out there. Even companies that applied a fully modular approach with a bus system - possibly at the cost of sound performance - aren't able to cover all changes with an easy and economic upgrade.

Therefore, it is always dangerous to promise upgradability. If you do and fail to honor your promise, your reputation suffers. If you do offer an upgrade, it has to be somewhat attractive to your customers and even your distributors and dealers might want to have their cut in the upgrade process. To keep everybody happy and make an approriate margin yourself seems very hard to me, since I assume that the margin at Bryston products isn't like the margin let's say on Intel chips, where production cost is the least of the problems - only how to grab more of the consumer surplus. (or how would you interpret the fact that they criple some chips to lower the performance to sell them cheaper - they could - maybe at lower cost - sell them uncripled at a lower price but people willing to spend more would get what they want cheaper, thus realize a consumer surplus).

I don't envy James and the Bryston management as a whole having to make a decision that serves the customers and therefore Bryston...!

Cheers!

Markus

gaderson

« Reply #807 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm »

Yep, the SP3 is generally well out of my price range, but, I've been looking at the B100, and the BP-16 as they both have HT Bypass capability. But, they both are single-ended only whereas my current Pre/Pro is balanced only, and I plan to do a simple separation between my 'audio' and 'video' components that would probably take advantage of longer balanced connections.
All my amplification is Bryston (a 9B-ST-THX for the main 5 channels and a 3B-ST-THX for my rears--found a great deal on a pair of Wafer 1s for rear surrounds--though may go with the 4B-ST for mains if I get a Preamp) so since even the newer Pre/Pros don't have enough inputs for my components I've been looking at Preamps with balanced HT Bypass to supplement my system.

klao

« Reply #808 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:26 am »
Saw Parasound Halo JC2 now has a new HT bypass version as option.  They did it without interfering with the original design of the board (via software I suppose).  Wonder if that can also be done with BP26.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #809 on: 1 Oct 2010, 10:57 am »
Saw Parasound Halo JC2 now has a new HT bypass version as option.  They did it without interfering with the original design of the board (via software I suppose).  Wonder if that can also be done with BP26.

Hi klao,

No sorry we can not - the BP26 is not software driven - just the B100 and the BP16 preamp.

james
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2010, 08:59 pm by James Tanner »

HooStat

« Reply #810 on: 1 Oct 2010, 08:45 pm »
You mean the BP16 preamp is software driven, right?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #811 on: 1 Oct 2010, 08:59 pm »
You mean the BP16 preamp is software driven, right?

Sorry - yes meant BP16

rahman

« Reply #812 on: 4 Oct 2010, 09:19 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes there will be a trade in program for SP2's - I am still trying to figure out what I can do with them so they do not get wasted?

james

Gday James

Have you looked into supplying schools, technical colleges etc with a music department and/or use in a hall/auditorium etc?

To my mind, this could be good PR for Bryston, give it good product exposure to the next generation of audio nuts (and might, depending on how it's structured, provide a tax break).

Cheers
Adrian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #813 on: 4 Oct 2010, 11:34 am »
Gday James

Have you looked into supplying schools, technical colleges etc with a music department and/or use in a hall/auditorium etc?

To my mind, this could be good PR for Bryston, give it good product exposure to the next generation of audio nuts (and might, depending on how it's structured, provide a tax break).

Cheers
Adrian

Not a bad idea - I will look at that.

james

Napalm

« Reply #814 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:18 am »
3D without glasses:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/363113/toshiba_launch_no-glasses_3d_tv_year_japan/

Looks to me like the perfect opportunity to introduce yet another HDMI version  :lol:

Nap.

Johnbr

« Reply #815 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:23 am »
Herd the SP-3 today very good detail and dynamics's will be in production in 5 to 6 weeks.

JeffO

« Reply #816 on: 23 Oct 2010, 06:30 pm »
James, Are you going to be at Audio One next Saturday?

Audio-One
SAT,OCT 30TH    BRYSTON DAY

The new Bryston BDP1 digital music player and SP3 surround processor/pre-amplifier will officially be launched at our Bryston Event.
Heralding in a new era of high calibre music playback, the BDP1 ($2195) will play any type of music (Flac,WAV, MP3) via a USB connection. This means music stored on a hard drive or USB stick can be easily controlled and played with the BDP1, with no limits on sonic performance.
The Bryston SP3 is a surround pre-amplifier built with the audiophile in mind. The SP3 is designed for ultimate sonic accuracy and can be purchased as an audio only multi-channel pre-amp or with an optional video board loaded with HDMI inputs.
As usual we will also be featuring Bryston's legendary power amplifiers, including the massive 28Bsst2 1000 watt mono amplifiers.

Jeff

Phil A

« Reply #817 on: 23 Oct 2010, 06:52 pm »
James, Are you going to be at Audio One next Saturday?

Audio-One
SAT,OCT 30TH    BRYSTON DAY

The new Bryston BDP1 digital music player and SP3 surround processor/pre-amplifier will officially be launched at our Bryston Event.
Heralding in a new era of high calibre music playback, the BDP1 ($2195) will play any type of music (Flac,WAV, MP3) via a USB connection. This means music stored on a hard drive or USB stick can be easily controlled and played with the BDP1, with no limits on sonic performance.
The Bryston SP3 is a surround pre-amplifier built with the audiophile in mind. The SP3 is designed for ultimate sonic accuracy and can be purchased as an audio only multi-channel pre-amp or with an optional video board loaded with HDMI inputs.
As usual we will also be featuring Bryston's legendary power amplifiers, including the massive 28Bsst2 1000 watt mono amplifiers.

Jeff

Is this the place in FL?  http://www.audio-one.com/index.php

Phil A

« Reply #818 on: 23 Oct 2010, 06:56 pm »
Herd the SP-3 today very good detail and dynamics's will be in production in 5 to 6 weeks.

Did you have the opportunity to compare it to the SP-2 or BP-26?

JeffO

« Reply #819 on: 23 Oct 2010, 07:07 pm »
Is this the place in FL?  http://www.audio-one.com/index.php

No, they are located in Vaughan just north of Toronto.  WWW.AUDIO-ONE.CA