SP 3.0?

Phil A

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #780 on: 20 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm »
I guess they are more concerned about the video?  Certainly can't be too worked about the audio.  My HDMI switch/audio de-embedder can strip out the audio and can pass 192kHz.  It is made by Port-ta (model PET4000) and Monoprice sells it under their brand name too ($48.65).  Therefore, anyone who has equipment that can record hi-rez PCM and take a coax or optical digital input can.  I'd figure by now that these cos. would understand that sooner or later (and probably within a few years), someone will break any encryption scheme.

adol290

« Reply #781 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »
In other news:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/intel-threatens-consumers/

Nap.  :green:

Boo Ho Intel.

I am so sick of these hardware people.
To get the higher bitrates of DTS MA and True HD on a blu-ray you must use the crappy HDMI.
Then they castrate the Coax and optical output, so that it now transmits a lower bitrate than before.

Phil A

« Reply #782 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:32 am »
Boo Ho Intel.

To get the higher bitrates of DTS MA and True HD on a blu-ray you must use the crappy HDMI.
Then they castrate the Coax and optical output, so that it now transmits a lower bitrate than before.

I have not tried running DTS MA or True HD through the Port-ta or Monoprice boxes but they claim to be compatible, whatever that means.  I've tested 192kHz from 2-channel DVD-A and someone over in the hi-rez music circle indicated (in the thread about taking hi-rez to your DAC) indicated they tested hi-rez from Blu-Ray.

Phil A

« Reply #783 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:34 am »
Boo Ho Intel.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.120

see post number 130 – “I can confirm that Oppo BDP-83/Portta can do 88.2k for SACD and 192k for DVD-A and
Blu-ray. PS3 (old model) /Portta can do 176.4k for SACD and 192k for Blu-ray (displayed on my W4S DAC2)”

Napalm

« Reply #784 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:24 am »
After raping the competition with HDMI 1.4, Sony has now found a way to do 3D over HDMI 1.3:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/35864/ps3-3d-blu-ray-hands-on

Of course it compromises sound but since it's already compromised by Cinavia, who cares.

Nap.

mv038856

« Reply #785 on: 27 Sep 2010, 08:54 pm »
Hi, 

Happy to report we hope to show the final prototye at the upcoming CEDIA show (Sept 23rd) and be in production shortly after that.

james

Hi James,

did it work out o.k.? Did you show the final prototype? Will the SP-3 be in production soon? Any decisions made regarding the trade in options we have been discussing in this forum?

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #786 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:01 pm »
Hi Markus,

Yes we showed it and everyone seemed happy we were going with Audio Only.

james

mv038856

« Reply #787 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:48 pm »
Hi Markus,

james

James,

does "Audio Only" mean that you demoed with 2 channels only or that the prototype was the audio only version of the SP-3 (2 HDMI connectors, one input, one output)?

Do you think it still needs some maturing (e.g. for the HD audio codecs)? In other words, do you (and does Bryston) think the SP-3 is ready for the market?

Am I to understand that since you didn't answer my other questions that it hasn't been decided yet (start of production, SP-2 trade-in program)?

Thanks!

Markus

BrysTony

« Reply #788 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm »
Hi Markus,

james

James,
Can you clarify what audio only means?  I assume the SP-3 will handle switching video sources ( Example: DVD player or TV Cable input) from an HDMI input to match the audio outputs and that everything will be in sync.  True??
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #789 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:56 pm »
Hi Guys,

Yes by audio only I mean no video processing on board just video switching.

It will play all the new HD codex's.

james

JohnnyB

« Reply #790 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:44 am »
How much trade-in value for us SP 2.0 owners?

Cheers, JohnnyB

JohnnyB

« Reply #791 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:49 am »
I'll ask again, since I strongly suspect that Bryston has this figured out, they just don't want to tell us yet. 

What do we owners of the SP 2.0 get for a trade-in?  It will likey be ZERO, NADA since the box and internals are totally different.  No advantage to Bryston.

Cheers, JohnnyB

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #792 on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes there will be a trade in program for SP2's - I am still trying to figure out what I can do with them so they do not get wasted?

james

Phil A

« Reply #793 on: 28 Sep 2010, 04:09 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes there will be a trade in program for SP2's - I am still trying to figure out what I can do with them so they do not get wasted?

james
James, perhaps see what each of the models (SP1, SP1.7, SP2)  goes for on Audiogon, take 15% off for a restocking/recertification fee and sell them.  It gives loyal customers the option of avoiding the selling hassle or making the choice to try to get a few dollars more and perhaps makes some new customers aware of Bryston quality.

brucek

« Reply #794 on: 28 Sep 2010, 08:27 pm »
Quote from: Phil
...............sell them.

It's quite a good idea Phil.

That way, Bryston can offer a decent trade-in price to their loyal customers, and then turn around and get the money back they just spent.

There would likely be lots of people who would buy a used and re-certified SP1/SP1.7/SP2.

The trade-in price would certainly 'lock' the used resale price of any SP1/SP1.7/SP2 on the open market.

brucek

Levi

« Reply #795 on: 28 Sep 2010, 09:23 pm »
Last time I checked, SP1.7 are also included in the trade in program.

Hi Folks,

james

Phil A

« Reply #796 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:02 pm »
It's quite a good idea Phil.

That way, Bryston can offer a decent trade-in price to their loyal customers, and then turn around and get the money back they just spent.

There would likely be lots of people who would buy a used and re-certified SP1/SP1.7/SP2.

The trade-in price would certainly 'lock' the used resale price of any SP1/SP1.7/SP2 on the open market.

brucek

I figured at that kind of price, Bryston might lose a little, but not tons, but still reward loyal customers and also perhaps gain some new ones.  It probably as you noted would do something towards stabilizing values and also cementing some loyalty that way.  I would not expect Bryston to offer the trade-in forever.  I would expect they would put some reasonable cap on it like prior to June 30, 2011. 

Phil A

« Reply #797 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm »
Last time I checked, SP1.7 are also included in the trade in program.

Yes - that was the last indication -some type of sliding scale depending on the model (SP2, SP1.7 or SP1).  James, when you read this, while slightly off topic, I'm wondering if there are plans to build a new 2-channel preamp as a follow-up model to the BP-26 with HT bypass.  I'm waiting to see the trade-in values and torn to a degree as to whether an expensive processor is the way to go for me with an integrated high quality 2-channel/HT system.  I certainly can live with an Integra or Onkyo pre/pro and I guess if something new came out I might be able to rotate it to the secondary basement or bedroom systems.

Deftone

« Reply #798 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:09 am »
Yes - that was the last indication -some type of sliding scale depending on the model (SP2, SP1.7 or SP1).  James, when you read this, while slightly off topic, I'm wondering if there are plans to build a new 2-channel preamp as a follow-up model to the BP-26 with HT bypass.  I'm waiting to see the trade-in values and torn to a degree as to whether an expensive processor is the way to go for me with an integrated high quality 2-channel/HT system.  I certainly can live with an Integra or Onkyo pre/pro and I guess if something new came out I might be able to rotate it to the secondary basement or bedroom systems.

I really second this. I am looking forward for Bryston to come.out with a new pre amp with HT pass thru,if not I guess I have to go with the Moon. P7 or P8. I know the price for the Moon is rather expensive though

BrysTony

« Reply #799 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:32 am »
Another vote for a preamp with HT bypass.  I am frustrated that there is no good way to share the "best" speakers between my two-channel system and home theater using an HT receiver.