SP 3.0?

Krobar

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #740 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:44 am »
Trying to bring things back on topic.....

Any word on support of the following features in the SP3 which do have an affect on sound quality:
HDMI ARC flow rate control (Open standard similar to the PQLS/HATS system used with ILink)
Pure DSD over HDMI input
7.1 24/192 PCM over HDMI support (For future sources)

Converting SACD to PCM is usually only beneficial if you need to run processing on the signal, if you are in pure mode then pure DSD input over HDMI into DSD capable DACs is best.

Napalm

« Reply #741 on: 21 Jul 2010, 01:25 pm »
Will it have Displayport input/output?

Nap.
 :peek:

Krobar

« Reply #742 on: 21 Jul 2010, 02:31 pm »
Will it have Displayport input/output?

Not ssure if thats really relevant for HT or music use. It s just a cut down variant of HDMI designed to save on licensing costs for computer manufacturers.

HDBaseT may eventually be important but the sucess of it is very uncertain at this stage.

skunark

« Reply #743 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:29 am »
James.  Is there an ETA on the SP3?  Do I pick up a leica m9 or hold off a few months?     :)

joey116

« Reply #744 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:56 pm »
This is an interesting memo from Parasound, perhaps some insight into the SP3 delay .........

http://www.parasound.com/new.php

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #745 on: 12 Aug 2010, 05:45 pm »
James.  Is there an ETA on the SP3?  Do I pick up a leica m9 or hold off a few months?     :).

Hi, 

Happy to report we hope to show the final prototye at the upcoming CEDIA show (Sept 23rd) and be in production shortly after that.

james

skunark

« Reply #746 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm »
Hi, 

Happy to report we hope to show the final prototye at the upcoming CEDIA show (Sept 23rd) and be in production shortly after that.

james

Good news! Thanks

gdbalp

« Reply #747 on: 13 Aug 2010, 12:29 am »
James,

Finally....SP3!!!:thumb:

Will we get an advance view of the prototype, including final specifications?

And, any word on the expected cost and trade-in value for SP1-2's?

Ciao,
Luigi

Napalm

« Reply #748 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:12 am »
This is an interesting memo from Parasound, perhaps some insight into the SP3 delay .........

Sounds like they outsourced software dev to Hindi Packard or India Business Machines...

Nap.  :icon_lol:

mv038856

« Reply #749 on: 14 Aug 2010, 05:39 pm »

It's interesting that Parasound refers to Bryston using a Finnish design house.

For the SP-2 and, based on the preliminary feature list, for the SP-3, Bryston has been using the Digital Audio Engine from Momentum Data Systems, a California based design house. My guess is the 'digital heart' of the SP-3 will be based on the DAE-6D http://www.mds.com/products/product.asp?prod=DAE-6D, just as the SP-2 used one of the previous DAEs.

Anyway, as discussed on this forum, the development of a HDMI based unit appears to be very difficult for a small company that can't rely on economies of scale like mass producers can.

Has there been any mention whether the SP-3 will be HDMI V 1.4? The topology of the Digital Audio Engine appears to be somewhat future proof as the HDMI board is an add-on to the DAE-board itself. So it could be swapped for HDMI 1.5+...

I am looking forward to finally seeing the SP-3 in its 'final' form.

Now, a few questions for James:
- Has there been a decision what upgrade route will be offered by Bryston to owners of a SP1/1.7/2? The ideas ranged from swapping the old SP1/1.7/2 for the new SP-3 at a discounted price to a separate box that would basically do the decoding and send the 5.1-analog signal to the old SP-1.7/2. Now, if my assumption about the analog connection of the external box is correct, this upgrade would be limited to 5.1 (as the SP1.7/2 only have an 5.1 analog in). I am not sure whether there could be a digital connection on the 'chip level' via I²S to the digital heart of a SP-1/1.7/2.
- Will the SP-3 support HDMI 1.4 right from the start and if not, will there be an upgrade path?
- What will the suggested retail price for the audio-only version of the SP-3 be?

Thanks and cheers!

Markus

Napalm

« Reply #750 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:58 pm »
Since the so called "HDMI standard" seems to be disposable every couple months, I'm not buying any new HDMI based device unless it comes at "disposable" price too ($199 max).

Nap.

1oldguy

« Reply #751 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm »
Since the so called "HDMI standard" seems to be disposable every couple months, I'm not buying any new HDMI based device unless it comes at "disposable" price too ($199 max).

Nap.

I've had my Phil of it too.Tired of being HDMI raped.Getting off that bandwagon.

KeithA

« Reply #752 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:43 pm »
I've had my Phil of it too.Tired of being HDMI raped.Getting off that bandwagon.
:lol:

Yep..my SP 1.7 will be around for a long time yet. I'll keep upgrading the DVD player to feed it analogue.

Keith

Phil A

« Reply #753 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:08 pm »
I guess with my SP1.7, the most important aspect (besides pricing) will be how (the SP3.0) it sounds as a 2-channel preamp.  I am using the multi-channel input of the SP1.7 with a modded Oppo BDP-83 and I could live with it.

KeithA

« Reply #754 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:53 pm »
I guess with my SP1.7, the most important aspect (besides pricing) will be how (the SP3.0) it sounds as a 2-channel preamp.  I am using the multi-channel input of the SP1.7 with a modded Oppo BDP-83 and I could live with it.

At this point, on a go-forward basis I'm thinking I don't want my 2-channel preamp and surround preamp in one box...things go obsolete in the multi-channel world way too fast!

Keith

Phil A

« Reply #755 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:27 pm »
At this point, on a go-forward basis I'm thinking I don't want my 2-channel preamp and surround preamp in one box...things go obsolete in the multi-channel world way too fast!

Keith

Yes digital and video go obsolete much faster.  I also don't know if I care what changes next.  So I am debating that vs. the convenience of having everything in one box.  The big question for me is whether I like it enough to be my last 2-channel preamp.  I do have a secondary bedroom system and a secondary basement system.  I just finished fishing wire for height channels and renaming inputs on the Pioneer 1120 in the basement and will likely set it up later.  The basement was finished several years after I was in the house.  if I could start all over, I'd probably just have a 2-channel system in the main system and would finish the basement a little different.  So I look at the main system as primarily 2-channel and if I have the convenience of watching a movie too that's nice.  I don't watch tons of regular TV (no cable or satellite) and based on the bulb usage of my old main system projector (and some of that was before the basement was done and before I had the current bedroom set-up) it's probably 10+ years before I'd be replacing a bulb under normal usage and assuming no equipment failure.  The projector is about 2.5 years old (in both the main and also the one in the basement - where I went to a lower end model) and I'd be perfectly content with it the way it is without any changes at any future point.  I view the basement system as something to experiment with if something new comes out.

1oldguy

« Reply #756 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:36 pm »

Keith

Same here.2 Channel audio is where my compass is heading.

servingko

« Reply #757 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:09 pm »
As a stop gap while I waited I purchased a BDP 83SE and have it hooked up to my SP1.7 via analogue and couldn't be happier.  Based on the video side of things I too think I can live with this for some time to come and if I make any additional investments in audio it will be on the two channel side of things.  My secondary system consists of a B60SST that I would like to add a BDA to but the room isn't ideal and the "ambient noise" (small children) that leaks in keeps me from doing any serious listening there. 

The HT system is in a dedicated room but has been set up for multichannel.  It seems these days I spend more time watching movies with the family than listening to music, but in the future I do see myself moving more back to two channel with the video scaled back from a projector to a big flat panel.

I have been playing with the idea of scaling back the level of equipment for HT and implementing a second system in the HT room that is completely separate and two channel only.

Napalm

« Reply #758 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:34 pm »
Now that everyone has satisfied their curiosity and has gone through one or more 5.1 or 7.1 systems.... I suggest a simple inexpensive experiment. Try to watch a movie in a really good 2.1 system (i.e. your Bryston stereo system plus a sub). Amazing, eh?

Nap.

Phil A

« Reply #759 on: 23 Aug 2010, 07:36 pm »
As a stop gap while I waited I purchased a BDP 83SE and have it hooked up to my SP1.7 via analogue and couldn't be happier.  Based on the video side of things I too think I can live with this for some time to come and if I make any additional investments in audio it will be on the two channel side of things.  My secondary system consists of a B60SST that I would like to add a BDA to but the room isn't ideal and the "ambient noise" (small children) that leaks in keeps me from doing any serious listening there. 

The HT system is in a dedicated room but has been set up for multichannel.  It seems these days I spend more time watching movies with the family than listening to music, but in the future I do see myself moving more back to two channel with the video scaled back from a projector to a big flat panel.

I have been playing with the idea of scaling back the level of equipment for HT and implementing a second system in the HT room that is completely separate and two channel only.
I'm using a modded Oppo with the SP1.7 too.  I also have a BDA-1.  I have an HDMI switch and can eaisily live with what I have.