SP 3.0?

skunark

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #720 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:46 am »
No iPhone?

Nap.  :bawl:

Here you go napalm, http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-100/   Just write that app and you can control the SP3 via the rs-232 port along with any IR device in your rack.. It will only cost you a few hundred bucks and perhaps a several nights and weekend spent coding.

Napalm

« Reply #721 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:49 am »
Here you go napalm, http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-100/   Just write that app and you can control the SP3 via the rs-232 port along with any IR device in your rack.. It will only cost you a few hundred bucks and perhaps a several nights and weekend spent coding.

I was just teasing James.....

Nap.  :jester:

Napalm

« Reply #722 on: 26 Jun 2010, 04:25 pm »
James you should better hurry up with the SP3, the folks at Anthem are attacking on all fronts:

Of course it will be the D2v you'll be fighting with though.

Nap.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #723 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:21 pm »
James,

the SP2 used to show "clipping" when the analog input is (i think) more than 2 volts.
does the SP3 has the same characteristic?

al.

brucek

« Reply #724 on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:52 pm »
the SP2 used to show "clipping" when the analog input is (i think) more than 2 volts.

Never heard that before. I think you may be mistaken.

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #725 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:37 am »
James,

does the SP3 has the same characteristic?

al.

No that was a THX requirement and the SP3 does not use THX.

james

JeffO

« Reply #726 on: 28 Jun 2010, 01:50 am »
James,

The wait is killing us.  You have been testing the prototype for a while, how about throwing us a bone and letting us know how it sounds!  Lossless :drool:

Other than the change to HDMI 1.4, have there been any changes to the specs since you posted them earlier in the thread?

Jeff

Phil A

« Reply #727 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:03 am »
James,

The wait is killing us.  You have been testing the prototype for a while, how about throwing us a bone and letting us know how it sounds!  Lossless :drool:

Other than the change to HDMI 1.4, have there been any changes to the specs since you posted them earlier in the thread?

Jeff

ditto - the last post I believe indicated the bass response was not as expected and there were some ideas on how to remedy it.  How does it sound vs. the BP-26 now?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #728 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:06 am »
Never heard that before. I think you may be mistaken.

brucek

Brucek,

when i remember correctly the SP2 showed the clipping when in "stereo mode", not in "bypass mode". so if any analog device has more than 2 volts analog output this will happen. however, good to know the SP3 doesn't need these THX requirements...

best,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #729 on: 28 Jun 2010, 05:50 pm »
ditto - the last post I believe indicated the bass response was not as expected and there were some ideas on how to remedy it.  How does it sound vs. the BP-26 now?

Hi Phil,

Got the bass issue solved.  Working on some surround modes.

james

Phil A

« Reply #730 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm »
James, thanks.  Have you got the chance to do a comparison on 2-channel with the BP-26?

drummermitchell

« Reply #731 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm »
I'd be very interested in that also.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #732 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:50 pm »
I'd be very interested in that also.

Not yet as I have been concentrating on the surround aspects.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #733 on: 7 Jul 2010, 07:12 pm »
Goodbye HDMI, Hello HDBaseT...

and their website for all tech-talk.

Napalm

« Reply #734 on: 7 Jul 2010, 08:06 pm »

Bwahahahaha!!!!
 :rotflmao:

But not before we have one more and last HDMI 2.0.......

:rotflmao:

Nap.  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #735 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:25 pm »

and their website for all tech-talk.

Interesting, but it will likely be quite a while before it makes any real market penetration.  The first thing they have to do is get it basically in all hardware (TVs, receivers, players, etc.).  DTS did that and hung around even though there were not tons of regular DVDs issued that had DTS or even music discs.  If they can get that far they have a chance of sticking around and that won't happen overnight

Napalm

« Reply #736 on: 8 Jul 2010, 12:54 am »
Interesting, but it will likely be quite a while before it makes any real market penetration.  The first thing they have to do is get it basically in all hardware (TVs, receivers, players, etc.).  DTS did that and hung around even though there were not tons of regular DVDs issued that had DTS or even music discs.  If they can get that far they have a chance of sticking around and that won't happen overnight

Note who are the founding members. Sony, LG, Samsung. Guess how much of the HD TV market they have together.

Nap.

Phil A

« Reply #737 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:27 am »
Note who are the founding members. Sony, LG, Samsung. Guess how much of the HD TV market they have together.

Nap.

Not nearly enough to do it on their own -  http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-bleeding-hdtv-market-share-2009-2

Then they have Government hurdles to get through =  http://seor.gmu.edu/student_project/syst101_00b/team02/Market.htm

How many consumers are going to put pressure on (let alone the HDMI lobby who will pressure cable box manufacturers too)? 

It is not something that is even feasible in the near term.  If they can get basically every one on board and it starts to become standard as noted in every piece of hardware (TV, A/V receivers, cable boxes, satellite receivers, computer makers, movie studios, etc.) they have a shot at hanging around (as I noted in the same manner as DTS did). If they hang around long enough then there's always a chance it can take over.  They have a long way to go and lots of work  Given the state of the current economy, they also must decide how much they are willing to invest.

Napalm

« Reply #738 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:49 am »
Not nearly enough to do it on their own -  http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-bleeding-hdtv-market-share-2009-2

33% Sony + Samsung after Sony went down in sales.

I'd say it largely depends on how they implement it. If they use it just to implement some more DRM stuff - it won't fly that well. I guess their wet dream is that your TV and everything else gets connected to Internet too so they can "update" your stuff with the latest DRM scheme whenever they see fit.

Nap.

Phil A

« Reply #739 on: 13 Jul 2010, 01:57 am »
How do you get from a Blu-Ray HDMI output to the 3*24/96 stereo SPDIF inputs????

You'll need a HDMI to SPDIF converter, right? Which is exactly what the HDMI/HDCP mobsters won't license you to do, unless you downconvert to 16/48?

Nap.  :scratch:

The Atlona box does it.  Markertek sells it.  I bought the Portta from E-Bay in Australia (it was $48.99+$20 shipping and is an HDMI switch too with a remote so I can use it instead of the Oppo HDMI switch I have now) and it shipped from Hong Kong.  I got it Saturday and only had some brief time with it Saturday night and though SACD out of my modded Oppo sounded better converted to PCM (24/88.2 is the limitation of the Oppo chip) and sent to the Bryston DAC upsampled.