SP 3.0?

MOZ

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #660 on: 24 Mar 2010, 05:28 pm »
Hi Daniel,

I really enjoy having discussions here with James, it's very confortable. It's a real plus being able to get in touch with Bryston in such an easy way.
But, even if i really like James  :thumb:... well, i guess i can make the difference between the two products and prefer the ML player.
I'm buying second hand products only those days, i can't afford ML at full price you know (and the 390S is not made anymore anyway) :roll:
Never had any kind of trouble with Lexicon, Revel or ML till today... so you must have been unlucky i suppose.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #661 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:16 pm »
Hi Alexone,
It was long ago since Mr.Levinson is not connected with the Mark Levinson brand. I think since the early 80es.
I have nothing against ML, just using one reputation like in case with Mr.Levinson is not enough. There is for example a preamplifier constructed when Mr.Levinson owned the company and the price was around 600$. I clearly remember this period of my life when we were on the other side of the wall divided the world into East and West. At that time for 350-400$ you could buy a tape recorder made by Sharp or Pioneer. A reel to reel cost more than 1000$. And the technical achievements of this unit are still beyond most today's brand can produce even the highest price range. So be aware of who is actually stand behind the name of a particular brand. For example you can share you thoughts with the vice-president of Bryston.I think this is a plus for both manufacturer and customer. I think that a prober ratio between speakers and electronis should be 70 to 30.
Daniel

hi, Daniel!

i knew that Harman bought Mr.Levinson's brand. then he founded a new company called Red Rose. once i went to a dealer and he had a setup running Red Rose speakers...awesome sound. very, very good!!!
now Mr. Levinson has another new brand- what a busy man! i am sure that Daniel Hertz is high quality stuff, no doubt.

al.

MOZ

« Reply #662 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:42 pm »
Well, it seems Mr Levinson likes to create brands and then sell them...  :roll:
That's another way to see it... isn't it !

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #663 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:58 pm »
Hi MOZ, I am not expert in Mr.Levinson way of doing things. Maybe at some point he is taking a decision to change the direction or attitude. Who know? I think that he prefer doing the perfection as a musician rather than mafacturer.
Daniel

MOZ

« Reply #664 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:33 am »
Personaly i prefer people fully commited to what they do/create... let's say like James at Bryston.  8)
It feels more like "a life time" achievement and i like that...

math-geek

« Reply #665 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:16 am »
I feel what you went through!  My Dynaudio Contour 1.3SEs had a blown woofer from a lame amp.  Dyn North America treated me like family during the repair.  I had to wait 6-8 weeks for a replacement to be made and then installed, it was Hell!  What should have been a $500.00+ proposition ended up costing absolutely nothing.

Kudos to companies that care about CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Krobar

« Reply #666 on: 2 May 2010, 01:33 pm »
Hi markus,

Yes HDMI 1.4 screwed things up.  I am really hoping by summer we have it all sorted.

james

How about just being an HDMI repeater /switcher and not do any video processing? The custom installer and high end this unit is aimed at typically use outboard VPs anyway.

Alphonse

« Reply #667 on: 3 May 2010, 12:54 am »
It sure seems that hdmi is holding up the show way too long. I am still interested in seeing Bryston make a pure analogue multichannel preamp. Why should I buy an expensive pre-processor that may not be able to keep up with a moving target like hdmi?

Al

Napalm

« Reply #668 on: 3 May 2010, 02:34 pm »
It sure seems that hdmi is holding up the show way too long. I am still interested in seeing Bryston make a pure analogue multichannel preamp. Why should I buy an expensive pre-processor that may not be able to keep up with a moving target like hdmi?
Al

Actually these days they are including the decoders and basic room setup (speaker distance/volume) in the Blu-Ray players. So it would be feasible to skip the use of what we call a "receiver" and go directly to (pre-)amps. When some standard becomes obsolete you replace just the Blu-Ray player.

This seems to me to be the right way to do it. I've never seen any advantage in having to replace a perfectly working set of 7 channel of amplification of a receiver because the decoder that's built into it won't do the cool new DTS-HD V1.543.2B or because they changed HDMI from 1.3b to 1.4a Public Beta Release For S***ers That Need To Have The Absolutely Latest Version Of Something Digital.

Nap.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #669 on: 3 May 2010, 03:03 pm »
Hi Nap,

One of the things I am thinking about is if we offer a trade-in to SP2 owners against the SP3 we could take out the digital boards in the SP2's and modify them to be 5.1 analog preamplifiers.  It would save a lot of good electronics from going to waste. Then we could have a very low cost 5.1 channel analog preamp?

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #670 on: 3 May 2010, 03:40 pm »
Hi Nap,

One of the things I am thinking about is if we offer a trade-in to SP2 owners against the SP3 we could take out the digital boards in the SP2's and modify them to be 5.1 analog preamplifiers.  It would save a lot of good electronics from going to waste. Then we could have a very low cost 5.1 channel analog preamp?

james

Hello James,

I have being giving this a little more thought recently and I do not know if I would feel comfortable purchasing “used” units such as these. Is it really cost effective to recycle this equipment and would a consumer who has invested a few dollars in his/her system wish to go this route?

What type of warranty would this equipment have? Why not just build new 5.1 audio preamplifiers - the circuit development is already proven so it would seem that you would only have to “box” it.

I do not know how much of a demand there is out there for a simple 5.1 analog preamplifiers. A 5.1 analog preamplifier and a 9B SST² would definitely work for me and I would have new equipment with a twenty year warranty.

Be well...     

Napalm

« Reply #671 on: 3 May 2010, 03:42 pm »
Hi Nap,

james

Sounds like you will liberate them from anything that could be obsoleted  :eyebrows:

If I were the owner of a SP2, I wouldn't return it, I would just buy something like this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Image.aspx

and connect them with analog cables.

Then I would be fine until Sony comes out with Violet-Ray.  :P

Napalm

« Reply #672 on: 3 May 2010, 03:51 pm »
I have being giving this a little more thought recently and I do not know if I would feel comfortable purchasing “used” units such as these.

Laundrew - please note that James has mentioned "very low cost". I guess his purpose is to avoid dumping them into landfill, not making a huge profit out of it. And offering something very affordable to those that use Blu-Ray unit with decoders.

I don't even see the need to actually remove any circuits from them. Just a factory inspection / "refurbishing" would do. And they will provide you a low cost route to getting you started with a 9B. (a similar service to what the BP6 provides for those wanting to start with a Bryston stereo amp).

Personally for HT I use an old Denon receiver that does not know DTS-MA or Dolby TruSomething. However the player is a Playstation PS3 which can convert anything to LPCM, which the Denon understands, so I have no real reason to "upgrade" the receiver. But then I don't give that much on HT, it's my stereo system that gets pampered  :P

Napalm

« Reply #673 on: 3 May 2010, 04:20 pm »
Also Laundrew may I quote you with this from the "9B review" thread:

"Now if we could only have a simple Bryston preamplifier for use with the 9B SST² with no “bells and whistles“ attached for home theatre applications...

Be well..."

Let's see... if this fall James tells you "buy a 9B SST2 now, get a SP2 free", could you pass?  :drool: Would it matter that the SP2 is factory refurbished and not a new-born?

Nap.

Krobar

« Reply #674 on: 3 May 2010, 06:20 pm »
Sounds like you will liberate them from anything that could be obsoleted  :eyebrows:

If I were the owner of a SP2, I wouldn't return it, I would just buy something like this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Image.aspx

and connect them with analog cables.

Then I would be fine until Sony comes out with Violet-Ray.  :P

I wouldnt buy the Oppo for analogue use (I own one so shoud know), the bass management is a mess. Denon at least do analogue BM properly, Oppo is fine over HDMI though.

Alphonse

« Reply #675 on: 4 May 2010, 12:46 am »
A "low cost" SP2 stripped of digital would work for me. I was actually thinking of adding a 6BSSTsq for F C R and use my PP300SSTs for Rear L R.

Al

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #676 on: 4 May 2010, 05:01 am »
Also Laundrew may I quote you with this from the "9B review" thread:

"Now if we could only have a simple Bryston preamplifier for use with the 9B SST² with no “bells and whistles“ attached for home theatre applications...

Be well..."

Let's see... if this fall James tells you "buy a 9B SST2 now, get a SP2 free", could you pass?  :drool: Would it matter that the SP2 is factory refurbished and not a new-born?

Nap.

Hello Nap,

So many pros and cons on this one.

Sometimes the “cheapest” way to go is not the best deal at all. Yes a simple 5.1 preamplifier would be perfect for me but I am very cautious about purchasing a unit that has being pieced together.

If I am going to purchase a new 9B SST², I might as well purchase a new 5.1 preamplifier. If a simple 5.1 preamplifier is not available,  I may as well stay with my current Marantz/KEF system.

If Bryston did offer a used/refurbished 5.1 preamplifier - I am curious what the warranty would be?

Lets say you purchase one of these units and it dies a year later and it has no warranty - did you really save anything by purchasing it? Now you must pay to get it repaired or replace it all together.

A twenty year warranty would definitely “null and void” the above statement.

If an individual wants to purchase used gear, they may as well purchase used amplifiers as well.

Just so many things to consider…

Be well… 

skunark

« Reply #677 on: 4 May 2010, 06:50 am »
The AR MP1 and the Parasound P7 to me looks like the ideal surround-sound/multi-audio-channel pre-amps since they offer more than one multi-channel input but they still have one flaw.   I want the opportunity for all willing sources to participate in surround sound and not limited that to a single blu-ray player with multiple outs.   A refurb SP2.0 without it's DAC might be a hard sell unless Bryston offer's multi-channel version of the BDA-1.   

Essentially we have the same problem with video as we do with audio with everything moving to digital downloads.  Today, I'm perfectly happy with a blu-ray player with multiple outs, but tomorrow I would want more.   

On an interesting note, Parasound canceled their surround sound processor due to development costs.

Napalm

« Reply #678 on: 4 May 2010, 11:58 am »
[...]
On an interesting note, Parasound canceled their surround sound processor due to development costs.

Don't forget that there are no standards there, it's all a moving target encumbered by patents, license fees and strong arm marketing and bullying.

Can anyone explain to me in plain english why we needed a couple of new flavors of DTS and Dolby schemes on Blu-Ray, all while there is enough space to fit LPCM directly there on the discs??? And why are Dolby and DTS still in business???

And don't forget the ever moving HDMI and HDCP "standards".

I have my own way of dealing with this. I just refrain from spending much money on such. Let the dust settle first.

brucek

« Reply #679 on: 4 May 2010, 12:04 pm »
Can anyone explain to me in plain english why we needed a couple of new flavors of DTS and Dolby schemes on Blu-Ray

I'll come up with an explanation right after you explain why we need 3D television.

brucek