SP 3.0?

CR

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #640 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:18 pm »
Hi,

Each of us has a different approach to life, and each person has a different perspective on 'value'.

The Lexicon/oppo player will appeal to those that have all lexicon kit and want it all to look the same, high price to pay YES, but when I go to houses that have spent £100,000 on a kitchen, £20,000 on a sofa etc. then the oppo might be considered value for money.

The Lexicon amps used to be BRYSTON inside - So that was an excellent choice, Im sure we all agree.

I have the Lexicon MC12B v5, currently sitting in a box and NOT used as it does not decode the more recent HD audio (Its not an MC12HD).

Were the Lexicon RT10 / RT20 a rebadge? I had the RT0 at one point.

Here is what I found funny.....

I SOLD my Mark Levinson CD37 / 380 and bought the Bryston BCD1/BDA1. You are going the other way.....

DIGITAL technology has moved forward, slowly in some cases but it has moved forward. The 37 is usually considered the best transport Levinson built, with the exception of the 31/31.5 .

I am very happy with my change, I hope you are equally happy with yours. The issue I have is that Mark Levinson & Lexicon are owned by the same people  :( , This firm recent moved massive areas of production for commercial audio DSP units to "another" country and have a long list of issues in both getting product to market and then product failure........

BACK TO THE SP3....

For me I think BRYSTON should rebadge an oppo83 unit and provide DUAL HDMI outputs from the player (or even tripple), ONE for Audio, ONE for Video, ONE for Both - OR selectable.......These need to be independant. This would also help reduce the possible issues of HDMI handshake.

I agree with the HDMI for video going direct to PJ or video scaler system.

I would be happy to consider an SP3 / rebadge oppo83 player both from Bryston.

If you go to Audiogon and type in OPPO on the search, you will see that several companies, other than Lexicon are already offering mods to the unit.

As for me, I really couldn't care less about having HDMI on the SP3. The format is not stable and by the time Bryston would have the unit out, it will most likely change to 1.5, 1.6  or even be replaced by something totally unthinkable   :scratch:

Carl

Mad Mr H

« Reply #641 on: 17 Feb 2010, 06:09 pm »
As for me, I really couldn't care less about having HDMI on the SP3. The format is not stable and by the time Bryston would have the unit out, it will most likely change to 1.5, 1.6  or even be replaced by something totally unthinkable   :scratch:
Carl

Hi Carl,

Im sorry to say but some things in life move forward - EVEN if its a step backwards....

And HDMI is one of those, terrible connector, That I believe ONLY Geffin actually use correctly - Did you know the screw above the HDMI connection is actually part of the original concept of the connetion. SO Geffin offer cables that screw into place and so dont fall out - CLEVER people, HOPE BRYSTON follow this idea   :eyebrows:

Sadly most items come with HDMI these days, and like it or not (I dont) it is currently the future......Without HDMI the SP3 can stay as the SP2.......OR yo decode in the player, But thats never really worked out .

HDMI can be VERY stable - You need an HDCP stripper in line and then you remove 99% of th connection issues -Funny that a work round is required for the one thing this "new" system was esigned with........

The HDCP is almost out of date now.....people download, or rip films via PC - So the HDCP seems only to annoy the end user.....

The otherway to get STABLE HDMI is for the inputs to the pre/pro (SPx) unit to "hold" the input as active all the time - I think some user input is also requied.....

Design an item like the "SP3" wit the ability for the end user to tell it to force specific resolutions from specific input an always hold thoe as active.

My "tv" box has various tv and radio channels available - BUT if I want to hear the "radio" which often have NO video transmitted, I still need the TV on so the HDMI connection is "active" otherwse NO AUDIO !!!!! Crazy.........

Out of choice I would not use it, but if I want hi def, that seems the only way........

So Carl if you dont care/want HDMI then that will limit the quality of material you can use or decode.

CR

« Reply #642 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:15 am »
Mad Mr. H,
  Well, while I"m not opposed to a stable format, I don't think it would make a huge difference if the SP3 was without the current HDMI. That is probably my point on the issue .
 We know that it has been an issue with Bryston, seeing the responses James does post about it.
 As for you not being able to receive those radio channels w/o the tv on , that is something inside the tv box that is directing the HDMI. :roll:
 I do have several piece with HDMI, and I have hooked them up to my tv. However, I run digital optical to my Bryston and SVHS to the video switcher box.
 As for things moving foward, I have been shooting Kodachrome film for over 25 years. Kodachrome film has been discontinued and only one place will process it this year until stock runs out. I have 3 films left :o :o :o

Carl

MOZ

« Reply #643 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:50 am »
I have the Lexicon MC12B v5, currently sitting in a box and NOT used as it does not decode the more recent HD audio (Its not an MC12HD).

Well,

I had a SP1.7 and then a SP2 for quite a long time (4 years) and used them on analog way (5.1bypass) with my HD DVD XE1 player and Pioneer LX91 (aka 09FD), sending decoded HD audio through it.
I used external EQ as well (Audiocontrol) in order to get things perfectly tuned to my room (EQ done by a pro).
The Bryston was just way of from what the MC12 can do !

Even if your MC12 is not an "HD version", do you know that you can send analog decoded HD audio in it's 5.1 analog in and them apply upsampling to get the result back to digital (5.1 mch track at 96/24)?
Then you're back "as if" you were decoding HD inside, believe me it's just as perfect, there is no loss anywhere.
We've done testing versus a Denon AVP-A1HD and... some owners prefered the Lex on HT performances  8)
HD decoding is not an issue for me...

So, it's just too bad to leave yours in it's box...
I'm using mine with a lot of satisfaction and wouldn't change it for anything !  :green:

-> as for the ML 390 vs BCD-1, well, i'll let you know what i think when i'll get the ML...

Mad Mr H

« Reply #644 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:21 pm »
Hi,

The XE1/XA2 was not excellent for analogue audio, its picture was better than ANY blu ray player. HD DVD without question has the better image. So it was a shame about the audio from the XE1/XA2.  (And I am a fan of HD DVD, I have over 700 HD DVD's still)

I use the Denon 3800 blu ray a well respected player

I had both players running into a Zektor switcher via Kimber KS1036 cables into the Lex MC12B . I was very happy with this system, but the HD DVD really needed to be decoded by the pro not the player for best audio - So that was one of my reasons for the Lex to go.

I am "a pro" AV Installer so the eq setup is one of the items I am used to, this bring me to the next issuewith the LEX. "I" cant see what it is doing when it does itsroom eq - For "me" that is very frustrating and I cant check it has done tings correctly. For someone who is notin the trade then you wont have that worry.......

Without question the Lex is an amazing machine which is actually why I have kept it, yes in its box but most other kt would have be sld, so in its box for me is a positive for the Lex.

Yes please share your thoughts on the ML kit,

I have to say the load mech on the ML is FAR superior to th BCD-1.

EVERY time the draw opens on the BCD-1 and closes I cry - It sounds like a £20/$40 player !!!

I would have run the draw mech slower, just to reduce that cheap open/close noise.....

You can tell a well built car by the door close, so WHY  :cry: does my BCD-1 sound like a childs toy  :cry:

Mark Levinson now sadly no longer the same company...........

Im open minded and happy to hear opinions that differ from mine.

Andy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #645 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:26 pm »
Hi Andy,

I have had some customers ask why we chose this specific Phillips L1210 CD Drive for our current BCD-1 CD Player. The search for the drive was not an easy task. The problem is that there are not many ‘CD dedicated’ drives out there.  By CD dedicated I mean ones that have a ‘clocking’ frequency which is a multiple of the 44.1KHz, which is the standard for Redbook CD.  Most drives are DVD drives which play CD’s and have clocking frequencies in the mega-Hz region and have to be converted to a lower clock frequencies to play a CD. By the way, this is true of the SACD drives we looked at which also are typically DVD drives that play CD’s and SACD’s.

We wanted to optimize the Redbook CD Playback so we were restricted to certain available drives. We looked at 5 different drives and choose the Phillips L1210 drive for some specific reasons:

1.It was readily available
2.It had a history in the market of long-term reliability.
3.Easily serviced
4.It was a dedicated CD drive with proper clocking frequencies
5.The drive is not anywhere near as important as the DAC, the dedicated digital/analog Power Supply, and the Discrete Class A Output stage
6.When running it was ‘dead quite’

The last one is important because once the CD is lifted from the tray to rotate below the laser the construction and materials that make up the tray are irrelevant.

Given the choices we made the selection in favor of the best Redbook performance available.

James

MOZ

« Reply #646 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:55 pm »
Hi Andy,

Agree with everything you said !
XE1 was very perfectible on the audio side and what a poor drive it was !!!
But loved HD DVD anyway.
For the MC12 EQ, well my best friend is also HT integrator and EQ is one of is jobs... I also find too limited not being able to see or change the results on this pre but well it works.
We've tuned directly my Revel sub30 with it's own parametrics EQ and then let the MC12 add it's global correction.
That way was the better compromise but we could have gone further if we had a chance to access the Lex EQ.

As for the BCD-1, well it's a brilliant drive, superb analog sound but I agree... not a nice sound it does when opening !!!

gdbalp

« Reply #647 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:35 pm »
Hi,

I think this might have been asked before, but I will ask again:

As in the SP2, will the SP3 will have an option of AES/EBU digital input?  I don't mind losing the optical inputs, but not the coaxial inputs - please increase from 4 to 6 inputs...

Luigi

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #648 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:59 am »
Luigi,

as far as i know the SP3 will have digital xlr + optical + coax inputs.

al.

gdbalp

« Reply #650 on: 22 Feb 2010, 08:45 pm »
Hi James,

My question was not directly answered, so it is again;

As in the SP2, will the SP3 will have an option of AES/EBU digital input?  I don't mind losing the optical inputs, but not the coaxial inputs - please increase from 4 to 6 inputs...

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #651 on: 22 Feb 2010, 08:47 pm »
Hi James,

My question was not directly answered, so it is again;

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

It will have 2- AES/EBU digital inputs.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #652 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:43 am »
Hi,

Great, I had missed the 2 AES/EBU digital inputs on the revised rear picture of the SP3...

Luigi

mv038856

« Reply #653 on: 27 Feb 2010, 02:21 pm »
James,

another month is turning to its end... time for an update on the status of the audio-only version of the SP-3 !? ;)

Cheers!

Markus

P.S. I already purchased a used Crestron 8x2 matrix HDMI-switch, so I can keep the video switching out of the SP3. It's the model that I mentioned before that permanently keeps the connection to all HDMI devices it's connected to to minimize switching delays due to time consuming HDCP and resolution negotiations. It allows to switch audio and video independently. So sending audio only to the SP-3 should be possible.

mv038856

« Reply #654 on: 7 Mar 2010, 12:23 pm »
James,

another month is turning to its end... time for an update on the status of the audio-only version of the SP-3 !? ;)

Cheers!

Markus

P.S. I already purchased a used Crestron 8x2 matrix HDMI-switch, so I can keep the video switching out of the SP3. It's the model that I mentioned before that permanently keeps the connection to all HDMI devices it's connected to to minimize switching delays due to time consuming HDCP and resolution negotiations. It allows to switch audio and video independently. So sending audio only to the SP-3 should be possible.

Hi James,

somehow, my message seems to have gotten lost...

Any news on the SP3? Is it on hold due to HDMI 1.x? Other projects more important? SP3-Firmware issues? Sound not yet where it is supposed to be?
I could go on making wild guesses... where does the SP3 project stand?

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #655 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:46 pm »
Hi markus,

Yes HDMI 1.4 screwed things up.  I am really hoping by summer we have it all sorted.

james

MOZ

« Reply #656 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:28 am »
Hi markus,

Yes HDMI 1.4 screwed things up.  I am really hoping by summer we have it all sorted.

james

... well, **** happens, as we say  :green:

Yes please share your thoughts on the ML kit,

I have to say the load mech on the ML is FAR superior to th BCD-1.

EVERY time the draw opens on the BCD-1 and closes I cry - It sounds like a £20/$40 player !!!

A bit "off" topic, sorry guys... but i received my Mark Levinson 390S... and i'm so so so amazed by the very large margin between the two players (390S vs BCD-1).
I wasn't expecting a so big difference...
There are lot more textures, feel real and airness around instruments in the ML  :o
The lows are much more controled and musicaly sounding.
The two players are not even comparable, to me...
I feel like having changed my all system here, waouh effect !  :|
The BCD-1 is a very good CDP but sorry to say not the same class as the ML.
I'm also trying a 320S pre soon, against my actual 380S.

And speaking about the "draw opening", well, on the ML, here we have something that sounds more like it's price  :roll:

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #657 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:56 am »
Hi MOZ,
I  had terrible experience with Harman International,
so personally I don't to hear of them for the rest of my life.
Wolf can change his fur,but not his temper.
Most big companies are more profit orientated, that customer orientated.
If I were you, I would look for Daniel Hertz, Mr.Mark Levinson new brand.
The price is similar to ML, but the result should be far beyond ML.
Daniel

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #658 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:47 pm »
that's interesting, Daniel. didn't know that Mr. Levinson has a new brand.

al.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #659 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:03 pm »
Hi Alexone,
It was long ago since Mr.Levinson is not connected with the Mark Levinson brand. I think since the early 80es.
I have nothing against ML, just using one reputation like in case with Mr.Levinson is not enough. There is for example a preamplifier constructed when Mr.Levinson owned the company and the price was around 600$. I clearly remember this period of my life when we were on the other side of the wall divided the world into East and West. At that time for 350-400$ you could buy a tape recorder made by Sharp or Pioneer. A reel to reel cost more than 1000$. And the technical achievements of this unit are still beyond most today's brand can produce even the highest price range. So be aware of who is actually stand behind the name of a particular brand. For example you can share you thoughts with the vice-president of Bryston.I think this is a plus for both manufacturer and customer. I think that a prober ratio between speakers and electronis should be 70 to 30.
Daniel