SP 3.0?

canucks0

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #620 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:00 am »
Not sure on that one - will have to check with engineering.

james

James, did engineering say how the second stereo could be controlled? Ethernet?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #621 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:26 am »
James, did engineering say how the second stereo could be controlled? Ethernet?

Hi,

To early to tell yet.

james

audiojack

« Reply #622 on: 8 Feb 2010, 08:15 pm »
As I understand it, when the SP3.0 hits the street, its going to be audio only. My query is as to what this means regarding HDMI inputs (will it have them for video switching purposes alla the classe sp800) or not have them at all. Second if it will have HDMI for video switching will the audio side of HDMI be used processing or is going to need a digital in (or toslink) from every source?

I currently have an Arcam AV888 and an Anthem D2v; both have their strenghts and weaknesses but HDMI handshaking and what not is an occasional problem with both of them. I would have to think that all vendors have a love/hate relationship with HDMI.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #623 on: 8 Feb 2010, 08:19 pm »
As I understand it, when the SP3.0 hits the street, its going to be audio only. My query is as to what this means regarding HDMI inputs (will it have them for video switching purposes alla the classe sp800) or not have them at all. Second if it will have HDMI for video switching will the audio side of HDMI be used processing or is going to need a digital in (or toslink) from every source?

I currently have an Arcam AV888 and an Anthem D2v; both have their strenghts and weaknesses but HDMI handshaking and what not is an occasional problem with both of them. I would have to think that all vendors have a love/hate relationship with HDMI.

Hi audiojack - love/hate for sure!

jmes

Tolstoi

« Reply #624 on: 10 Feb 2010, 02:55 pm »
Hi Phil A,

My point being only "if possible" think about it and don't get on the market with an already outdated product (or with no solution to prevent it)...
We've been told AVATAR Blu-ray release will come with 3D, i know there should be some delay, but it will be there soon or later.
And when everybody is going to "fire" it's HDMI 1.4 pre-pro, the marketing campaigns will kill everybody else (as HD kind of did, see tons of excellent pre on sale because they just don't "do HD") !
I've heard Denon was already on it's way to 1.4 and was planning a all new batch of products soon...
JVC projectors are on their way to 4K aso...
I really believe Bryston should think a way to sort out this 1.4 thing and then let it know to people in order to prevent it's sales...

My 2 cts  :?

This is marketing BS from the industry pushing HW sales.  We don’t need a Pre/Pro or receiver that is HDMI 1.4 to watch 3d material.  A 3D capable Blu-Ray with dual HDMI outputs and a 3D capable display/projector is sufficient.

Shoot the video directly to the projector.

Tolstoi

« Reply #625 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:01 pm »

I do not agree with you sadly the Anthem is the only none high volume company at this point that provide stability over HDMI.  Arcam doesn’t.  Even the new Classe SSP is not stable.  To achieve this they open their beta software to lots of peoples and this significantly expend their testing capacity. HDMI interoperability between equipments is hell and small companies cannot afford the required testing capability.

gaderson

« Reply #626 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:54 am »

So the question is, could we output one video stream, while listening to the audio from another input, HDMI, Digital or Analog? It would be nice to be able to hook up the appropriate components with just HDMI, and not have to do HDMI for Video and a separate Audio so you can watch one video source while listening to the audio of an other.

Also general question how many addressable inputs will there be? I noticed the various buttons on the front, but, it would be nice for it to be like the B&K Reference 70 and the Emotiva UMC-1 that allow every input to be assigned to it's own input/component (e.g. every HMDI, every digital and every analog could be used a sepearate inputs).

MOZ

« Reply #627 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:46 am »
This is marketing BS from the industry pushing HW sales.  We don’t need a Pre/Pro or receiver that is HDMI 1.4 to watch 3d material.  A 3D capable Blu-Ray with dual HDMI outputs and a 3D capable display/projector is sufficient.

Shoot the video directly to the projector.

Hi Tolstoi,

Didn't mean "we need" 1.4... but just that when Denon, Onkyo (even Anthem will do it, i'm quite sure  :roll:) aso... will provide 1.4 products on the market (that is later this year...), if Bryston is "only" 1.3 capable, then selling will be hard for them and we know they are quite "long" to get new products on the market :|
So my advice is... "if possible", find a way to be "1.4 ready" soon enough or think about a way to upgrade in a soon futur !

brucek

« Reply #628 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:10 pm »
.................. it would be nice for it to be like the B&K Reference 70 and the Emotiva UMC-1 that allow every input to be assigned to it's own input/component (e.g. every HMDI, every digital and every analog could be used a sepearate inputs).

Most receivers today all have this feature. Every audio and video input is assignable in any combination to the HDMI output. Even my cheap $800 Denon receiver in my office has this feature, along with upscaling any video signal to HDMI 1080p whether its from component, HDMI, composite, etc.....

Tolstoi

« Reply #629 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:31 pm »
Hi Tolstoi,

Didn't mean "we need" 1.4... but just that when Denon, Onkyo (even Anthem will do it, i'm quite sure  :roll:) aso... will provide 1.4 products on the market (that is later this year...), if Bryston is "only" 1.3 capable, then selling will be hard for them and we know they are quite "long" to get new products on the market :|
So my advice is... "if possible", find a way to be "1.4 ready" soon enough or think about a way to upgrade in a soon futur !

I do not think the lack of HDMI1.4 support will be a show stopper for a typical Bryston user.  Even more if the first units are audio only.  Stability over HDMI could be and this is where attention needs to be spent.

Obviously any design needs to ensure that an upgrade from HDMI 1.3 to 1.x is done with minimal impact on the overall design.

Tolstoi

« Reply #630 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:37 pm »
Well, i have no trouble being a Bryston owner and supporter as far as i can choose to support "also" other brands  :wink:
I was faithfull to Bryston for 4 years, with my SP1.7 and then my SP2, had 4 amps, a dedicated CDP...
At sometime, when HD audio came in, i felt the wait for an SP3 a bit long (at least 2 years, and i'm very nice here !)... so i decided to move to something else, better on HT performances.
I had the chance to try a lot of pre-pro at this time (Proceed AVP2, Lexicon MC12 aso) and felt in love with the MC12, that i own, now.
Even if the MC12 is a wonderful processor, on 2ch i really don't like it, so i needed to find something to go with it, a 2ch pre with "passthrough" fonction, as you seek Phil.
I had the opportunity to get a ML 380S, after i understood there wasn't anything i could use at Bryston with this ability (!).
So, am i a renegade now ?  8)

I just enjoy my Bryston staff... and try to get opportunities on other products that shine my nights and days.
Used ones allow you to get very high products at lower prices... i find it a very economical way to build a great HT/2ch system.
That's all !

Anyway, I'm waiting for the new Lexicon plateform (MC12 replacement) with very envy but i will try a SP3 and compare them before making my choice.

:roll:
Talking about Lexicon, I hope you are not planning on buying their scammy Oppo player at 3.5000$. Bryston is slow in terms of product development but at least they are coming to market with innovative solution. Lexicon is not the company it used to be.

mv038856

« Reply #631 on: 12 Feb 2010, 12:06 am »
Talking about Lexicon, I hope you are not planning on buying their scammy Oppo player at 3.5000$. Bryston is slow in terms of product development but at least they are coming to market with innovative solution. Lexicon is not the company it used to be.

I wouldn't mind if Bryston used some help on technology they cannot possibly develop themselves economically, considering the quantities they can sell. In fact, they did this on the SP-1, SP-1.7 and SP-2 where they used an OEM digital board as the basis for the Pre/Pro's digital section. And my guess is, they might do the same for the SP-3. The former products still excelled due to Bryston's attention to sound quality relevant details and their superior analog circuitry.

Developing a BD player is a very complex task. A huge part of the efforts is software development, just to get and keep the machine going (and adapt it to new "features" to make sure it plays the most recent disks). I'd rather see Bryston focus on building the best possible sound experience than adapting the player firmware to the most recent BD Live gimmicks.

So, using a player with excellent components from a manufacturer that proved capable and willing to support his products on the software side (and I think OPPO falls into this category) as a base for a high end player isn't such a bad idea.

I didn't know about the $3,500 player from Lexicon being build on the OPPO base, but at least one other High End manufacturer is doing the same, considering a price of up to $10,000 for his OPPO based Blu-Ray player.

Is it worth the margin paid on the $499 OPPO? Is a Bryston Pre/Pro worth the margin on a mainstream AV receiver that might have a higher powered DSP, video processing, the most recent x.x codecs and innumerable features the Bryston cannot and might not even want to offer? Well, everybody has to decide for themself.  :wink:

Cheers!

Markus
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 01:20 am by mv038856 »

brucek

« Reply #632 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:01 am »
I didn't know about the $3,500 player from Lexicon being build on the OPPO base

Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside

gaderson

« Reply #633 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:34 am »
Most receivers today all have this feature. Every audio and video input is assignable in any combination to the HDMI output. Even my cheap $800 Denon receiver in my office has this feature, along with upscaling any video signal to HDMI 1080p whether its from component, HDMI, composite, etc.....

Ok, clarification, I mean add up all inputs: i.e. as I can discern from the fuzzy shots of the SP3 back, 8 HDMI + 4 coax + 5 optical + 6 RCA pairs + 1 7.1-multichannel + 2 XLR pairs + 2 AES/EBU = 28 individual separate re-namable inputs--ok, components, too many interchangeable terms--not just the standard 9 or so 'components' (e.g. BD/DVD, TV, SAT, CD, etc.) that you can assign the various inputs too. Though it would maybe start with a basic set that you could then expand. Since 9 'components' is barely adequate for me, and the HDMI issue tends to mean that I can't just use an HDMI to the Processor and have everything work as I would like, I'm looking at a separate 2-channel setup with 'HT Bypass' input so I have enough inputs for all my components.

Phil A

« Reply #634 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:41 am »

I didn't know about the $3,500 player from Lexicon being build on the OPPO base, but at least one other High End manufacturer is doing the same, considering a price of up to $10,000 for his OPPO based Blu-Ray player.

Cheers!

Markus

The difference is the Ayre starts with the basic processor and then changes basically everything.  The Lexicon is the Oppo with just a different case.  One could discuss whether the merits of the sound or picture are worth the price difference, but in the case of the Lexicon it is whether you think the case is worth $3,000 more the Oppo's case.  That's a big difference.

MOZ

« Reply #635 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:57 am »

Not a chance !  :nono:
I have always been aware that DVD/BD products made by Lexicon were just rebadged products sold a lot more, so i buy other brands  :roll:
For me, Lexicon has only one interesting product, that is the MC12 (and you'be better buy it on second hand !)... Everything else is too expensive and you find better products for less money.
I'm more interested those days in Mark Levinson products (used ones, of course  :green:)...
I'm looking for a N°390S to replace my actual BCD-1... and already got a N°380S for 2ch, and that is working  :o

Mad Mr H

« Reply #636 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:05 am »
Not a chance !  :nono:
I have always been aware that DVD/BD products made by Lexicon were just rebadged products sold a lot more, so i buy other brands  :roll:
For me, Lexicon has only one interesting product, that is the MC12 (and you'be better buy it on second hand !)... Everything else is too expensive and you find better products for less money.
I'm more interested those days in Mark Levinson products (used ones, of course  :green:)...
I'm looking for a N°390S to replace my actual BCD-1... and already got a N°380S for 2ch, and that is working  :o

Hi,

Each of us has a different approach to life, and each person has a different perspective on 'value'.

The Lexicon/oppo player will appeal to those that have all lexicon kit and want it all to look the same, high price to pay YES, but when I go to houses that have spent £100,000 on a kitchen, £20,000 on a sofa etc. then the oppo might be considered value for money.

The Lexicon amps used to be BRYSTON inside - So that was an excellent choice, Im sure we all agree.

I have the Lexicon MC12B v5, currently sitting in a box and NOT used as it does not decode the more recent HD audio (Its not an MC12HD).

Were the Lexicon RT10 / RT20 a rebadge? I had the RT0 at one point.

Here is what I found funny.....

I SOLD my Mark Levinson CD37 / 380 and bought the Bryston BCD1/BDA1. You are going the other way.....

DIGITAL technology has moved forward, slowly in some cases but it has moved forward. The 37 is usually considered the best transport Levinson built, with the exception of the 31/31.5 .

I am very happy with my change, I hope you are equally happy with yours. The issue I have is that Mark Levinson & Lexicon are owned by the same people  :( , This firm recent moved massive areas of production for commercial audio DSP units to "another" country and have a long list of issues in both getting product to market and then product failure........

BACK TO THE SP3....

For me I think BRYSTON should rebadge an oppo83 unit and provide DUAL HDMI outputs from the player (or even tripple), ONE for Audio, ONE for Video, ONE for Both - OR selectable.......These need to be independant. This would also help reduce the possible issues of HDMI handshake.

I agree with the HDMI for video going direct to PJ or video scaler system.

I would be happy to consider an SP3 / rebadge oppo83 player both from Bryston.

Phil A

« Reply #637 on: 13 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
Yes the RT-10 and RT-20 were rebadges at significant additional cost.  Hometheaterhifi.com did a review of the RT-20 and reported to be a very minor modified Marantz DV9500 (for something like almost $3k more) which I believe was based on a Pioneer itself.  The RT-10 I believe from memory was also based on a Pioneer.

Phil A

« Reply #638 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:05 pm »
Here is the review of the RT-20 - $2.9k list more than the DV9500

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/lexicon-rt-20-dvd-player-3-2006-part-1.html

“This player is modeled after the Marantz DV-9500 but with some modest changes including the outer case design and some audio filtering tweaks.”

Tolstoi

« Reply #639 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:27 pm »

So, using a player with excellent components from a manufacturer that proved capable and willing to support his products on the software side (and I think OPPO falls into this category) as a base for a high end player isn't such a bad idea.

It is not base on but in fact 100% oppo player except the casing.  Huge difference in terms of ethics.