SP 3.0?

canucks0

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #600 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:30 am »
James,

Will the SP3 have 2 zone capability with an ethernet input for Zone B? (like the McIntosh MX 120?)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #601 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:32 am »
James,

Will the SP3 have 2 zone capability with an ethernet input for Zone B? (like the McIntosh MX 120?)

Just one extra stereo zone.

james

canucks0

« Reply #602 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:44 am »
So, RCA outputs to an applicable amp? Could a keypad give commands to the SP3 from this stereo zone?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #603 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:49 am »
So, RCA outputs to an applicable amp? Could a keypad give commands to the SP3 from this stereo zone?

Not sure on that one - will have to check with engineering.

james

Krobar

« Reply #604 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:02 am »
It has RS232 so if you are on AMX or Crestron then a keypad should be quite easy to implement.

canucks0

« Reply #605 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:16 pm »
Usually if you're running a second zone you'd run Cat 5 or Cat 6 around your house and daisy chain keypads to it. Ultimately, the line would have to tie into the processor for control and I don't know if Cat5 or 6 and adapt to an RS232 at the processor end. Isn't the RS232 just for software updates?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #606 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

The SP3 is really targeted towards a simple high quality audio surround system so I am not sure if it will be able to incorporate all of the 'extra' features some are looking for.  We really are concentrating on the best possible audio circuit paths which may negate some extras.

james
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2010, 06:30 pm by James Tanner »

SHV

« Reply #607 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

The SP3 is really targeted towards a simple high quality audio surround system so I am not sure if it will be able to incorporate all of the 'extra' features some are looking for.  We are really are concentrating on the best possible audio circuit paths which may negate some extras.

james

IMO, the fewer "extra" features the better.  If all of the video switching, decoding, etc. circuitry could be on a replaceable card or separate box, even better.  The whole rat race of "new" and improved HDMI, a-v decoding, whole home distribution makes no sense with a Bryston product and a 20 year warranty.

Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #608 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:28 pm »
I agree,simple meat+potatoes and to the point,superb sound.That's good enough for me.
It's just like music,if she's too busy,you loose the emotion,pocket, ect.

Krobar

« Reply #609 on: 20 Jan 2010, 07:45 pm »
The keypad feature and RS232 are considered necessity by many custom installers, is the SP3 not trying to be custom install friendly?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #610 on: 20 Jan 2010, 07:53 pm »
The keypad feature and RS232 are considered necessity by many custom installers, is the SP3 not trying to be custom install friendly?

We are certainly going to try an accomodate custom installers as best we can but that is not the main focus for us with this product. I think there are many products available if people need the features that a fully customized system involves. The SP3 is really geared towards the purity and accuracy of signal both in the analog and digital domain rather than integration with lighting, multi-room, zones etc.  I know this will cost us sales with the all in one custom installers but it is what it is.

The first SP3 will be AUDIO ONLY.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #611 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:09 pm »

...can't await!!!

al.

Krobar

« Reply #612 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:29 pm »

That the one I want. I just hope it does have RS232 control or I cannot sensibly use it with my AMX setup.

BTW: The SP2 did have RS232 control:
http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/SP2_SERIAL_PROTOCOL.pdf

gdbalp

« Reply #613 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:45 am »
We are certainly going to try an accomodate custom installers as best we can but that is not the main focus for us with this product. I think there are many products available if people need the features that a fully customized system involves. The SP3 is really geared towards the purity and accuracy of signal both in the analog and digital domain rather than integration with lighting, multi-room, zones etc.  I know this will cost us sales with the all in one custom installers but it is what it is.

james

Hi James,

I have question about different surround sound modes on the SP3.  Can you list the different modes?

Also, I have heard about an interesting surround sound mode from Audyssey DSX-9.1 (5 front speakers & 4 rear speakers + Sub.), which is highly regarded from people in the audio field.  Even Dolby has a variation of this called Pro Logic IIz...   Any chance the SP3 will be able to handle this surround sound mode - 9.1?  :)

Ciao, Luigi

Phil A

« Reply #615 on: 22 Jan 2010, 04:28 am »
Here was a recent post by James FYI

"
James Tanner
Registered++

The Demo is Everything!

Gallery

« Reply #502 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:35 PM »
Three rack-spaces, top rack-space houses dual power supplies and audio/video HDMI switching.
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232? 2 inputs, Ethernet ? 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic ? 1 Input, Headphone ?1 Stereo Input

Digital Inputs ? 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In ? 1 Video Out
2- S Video In ? 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In ? 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In ? 2 HDMI Out
"

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #616 on: 22 Jan 2010, 12:20 pm »

james

Hi James,

I have question about different surround sound modes on the SP3.  Can you list the different modes?

Also, I have heard about an interesting surround sound mode from Audyssey DSX-9.1 (5 front speakers & 4 rear speakers + Sub.), which is highly regarded from people in the audio field.  Even Dolby has a variation of this called Pro Logic IIz...   Any chance the SP3 will be able to handle this surround sound mode - 9.1?  :)

Ciao, Luigi

Hi Luigi,

Definitely not 9.1

james

Mag

« Reply #617 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:22 pm »
Being a MC enthusiast it is hard for me to imagine how Bryston SP3 can improve on what I'm hearing with a mass market av/receiver. If I could afford one that is.

One area that I think could be improved is more precise speaker distance calibration. Having mulitple speakers getting the sound arrival time to ears would help improve overall sound. Balance left and right and locking the image dead center is critical to the soundstage. Which can be difficult to accomplish precisely in an unconventional setup or room.

I suppose too that the SP3 will be even more transparent especially if sacds can be dsp. That's still difficult to imaging but would be great for the future of sacd if they pull it off. Then I would be tempted to purchase an SP3 even if I have to buy on credit.

mv038856

« Reply #618 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:53 pm »
Being a MC enthusiast it is hard for me to imagine how Bryston SP3 can improve on what I'm hearing with a mass market av/receiver.

Hi Mag,

Bryston's secret about the superior sound is beyond features and nice marketing talk. As James has indicated before, it's the analog side of their products that set them apart from the rest. While all those mass market receivers might have the most recent DSPs, D/A and A/D converters and 100.x channels, they also employ off the shelf standard ICs for the analog side, which Bryston doesn't use in the signal path. Brystons signal path only uses descrete circuitry. An then the power amplifiers... there isn't a receiver I know of that could rival the qualities of a SST or SST² power amplifier.

I have been blown away a few times by how much better a Bryston product can sound compared to mainstream HiFi.

Cheers!

Markus

Mag

« Reply #619 on: 24 Jan 2010, 09:45 pm »
I'll try to clarify what I meant. Having Bryston gear already I can't imagine how much more transparent the music can get without perhaps sounding clinical.

Using a mass market av/receiver as a pre-amp, sure the SP3 will outperform it just with balanced inputs and outputs. However if the improvement is only marginal it won't justify the expediture. If the improvement is decisive, then as I mentioned I can't imagine how much more detail can be obtained than what I'm already hearing. I believe sacd can be improve on and this would clearly define sacd as the #1 audio format.

Other processors convert DSD to PCM. I hope that Bryston retains the analog input and somehow enhances the harmonics.