SP 3.0?

MOZ

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #580 on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:45 pm »
Well, i have no trouble being a Bryston owner and supporter as far as i can choose to support "also" other brands  :wink:
I was faithfull to Bryston for 4 years, with my SP1.7 and then my SP2, had 4 amps, a dedicated CDP...
At sometime, when HD audio came in, i felt the wait for an SP3 a bit long (at least 2 years, and i'm very nice here !)... so i decided to move to something else, better on HT performances.
I had the chance to try a lot of pre-pro at this time (Proceed AVP2, Lexicon MC12 aso) and felt in love with the MC12, that i own, now.
Even if the MC12 is a wonderful processor, on 2ch i really don't like it, so i needed to find something to go with it, a 2ch pre with "passthrough" fonction, as you seek Phil.
I had the opportunity to get a ML 380S, after i understood there wasn't anything i could use at Bryston with this ability (!).
So, am i a renegade now ?  8)

I just enjoy my Bryston staff... and try to get opportunities on other products that shine my nights and days.
Used ones allow you to get very high products at lower prices... i find it a very economical way to build a great HT/2ch system.
That's all !

Anyway, I'm waiting for the new Lexicon plateform (MC12 replacement) with very envy but i will try a SP3 and compare them before making my choice.

:roll:

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #581 on: 7 Jan 2010, 03:53 pm »
Hi MOZ,
I appreciate you personal choice.
I am like a voucher, having money in my pocket for some good deal to come out.
I have nothing against ML except the price.
Pursuing PMC and Bryston for about an year I have managed to find a dealers with the affordable prices.
Mark Levinson,Dynaudio, JM Lab,Avalon, Musical Fidelity, Ghyphon, Naim and Wilson Audio were out of my reach in the past, but now when I can afford one, I just don't like them anymore.Nothing personal.
Daniel

Phil A

« Reply #582 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:22 am »
Lexicon makes some really nice home theater processors.  About a year before the BCD-1, I listened to a Levinson CD player.  I really did not do any deep comparisons.  It sounded great.  It was $6.7k.  Given the history of the company of the price point (for just CD), I did do other comparisons when I bought the CD player of another brand at around the same price, another one a bit higher and that same brand had a 2-channel universal player that was $6k.  I preferred the Bryston.  I didn't consider the Levinson at its price point and given the company history.   Proceed is gone as is Citation as former Harman Int'l Brands.  I like the fact (for me personally) that Bryston supports stuff long term.  I always look on Audiogon for a used 3BST to replace the Adcom 555 the bedroom as a good small amp fits nicely behind the TV.  The sale that fell and the financial condition of the company just gives me pause that they may sell a brand or a name and it could impact support and at expensive price points it's just a personal no go for me.

MOZ

« Reply #583 on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:42 am »
Bryston customer support is just 200% efficiant !
It sounds great, it's reliable, and very well priced (quality vs price).
And it's easy selling as used products (thanks 20 years warranty !)...

I just wish they could go faster in developping their products, sometime  :wink:

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #584 on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:57 am »
MOZ,
you are right about easy selling use Brystons, but it is true only for US version not Europrean one.
As a Bryston owner I would sell any other equipment I had than Bryston.
Daniel

MOZ

« Reply #585 on: 8 Jan 2010, 09:30 am »
Sold two amps lately in France, very easily... the 20 year waranty thing helped a lot !
My SP2 went also quite fast here !

8)

Mad Mr H

« Reply #586 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:10 am »
Hi MOZ,

I will send you a PM about the Lexicon.......

I have the MC12B with room eq  etc.

I found some wierd things that should help you with 2ch from it..........

Andy.

joey116

« Reply #587 on: 8 Jan 2010, 11:54 am »
This thread is getting way of topic, it's supposed to be information about the SP3.

MOZ

« Reply #588 on: 8 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm »
Sorry, we were just talking while waiting for some fresh news  :wink:

MOZ

« Reply #589 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:02 pm »
So, anybody saw/heard the SP3 at the CES ???
James did you show it or not ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #590 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:59 am »
So, anybody saw/heard the SP3 at the CES ???
James did you show it or not ?

No we did not it was just on static disply.

We did a tribute to Jim Thiel using an all out stereo system using his last effort the 3.7 speakers.

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #591 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:45 am »

We did a tribute to Jim Thiel using an all out stereo system using his last effort the 3.7 speakers.

james

That is really special.

Jim Thiel's  an incredible guy. And the 3's are an outstanding achievement in design.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #592 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:38 pm »
James,

any news about the trade in deal?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #593 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:50 pm »
James,

any news about the trade in deal?

al.

Sorry not yet.

james

Krobar

« Reply #594 on: 17 Jan 2010, 11:51 am »
Are we still looking at a release this year? Is there still going to be an audio only version? Also, will a biamp option likely be present?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #595 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:58 pm »
Are we still looking at a release this year? Is there still going to be an audio only version? Also, will a biamp option likely be present?

Hopefully the second quarter - we are assessing if we can still go with HDMI 1.3 or need to look at 1.4 in order to pass the video through on an audio only version.  Yes we will release the audio only version first.

Bi-amp option?

james

Krobar

« Reply #596 on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:14 pm »
By biamp I just mean the option to output 2 sets of XLRs for FL and FR speakers. It just sends two unused XLRs copies of the FL and FR output.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #597 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:06 pm »
By biamp I just mean the option to output 2 sets of XLRs for FL and FR speakers. It just sends two unused XLRs copies of the FL and FR output.

Hi,

There is a set of 7.1 Balanced outs and a set of 7.1 Single ended (RCA) outs.

james

Krobar

« Reply #598 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:16 pm »
Hi James,

Yes I understand that but can those of use using 5.1 setups use the 6th and 7th XLR outputs to output a copy of the FL and FR channels (Allows use of two monoblocks per channel in biamp config).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #599 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:38 pm »
Hi James,

Yes I understand that but can those of use using 5.1 setups use the 6th and 7th XLR outputs to output a copy of the FL and FR channels (Allows use of two monoblocks per channel in biamp config).

I will check with engineering but I do not think so. You would have to use a Y adapter or 1 set of XLR with 1 set of RCA outs.

james