SP 3.0?

bedhoopnut

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #520 on: 12 Sep 2009, 09:12 pm »
FYI.  There is a Youtube video on the AVS forum which shows Bryston at Ceida.  A VP of Bryston shows the SP 3 and gives an availability of "Spring 2010". 

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178884 :banghead: :banghead:

Hopefully that is for the video version and the audio version will be out earlier.

jds

SP 3.0 zone capabilities
« Reply #521 on: 20 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm »
I'm wondering if the second HDMI output could be used in the second zone for independant video switching from the main zone? 

Thanks,
David

toddgoldblum

« Reply #522 on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:41 pm »
Mr. Tanner - can you give us what the approximate trade-in value will be for SP 1.7 when the SP 3.0 is purchased? thanks
Todd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #523 on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:58 pm »
Mr. Tanner - can you give us what the approximate trade-in value will be for SP 1.7 when the SP 3.0 is purchased? thanks
Todd

Hi Todd,

At this point I do not know as we have not got a final cost on the SP3 yet and we are looking at ways to adapt the HD technology to current SP1.7's/SP2's to allow for HD Audio upgrades at a lower costs than the trade in option.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #524 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:16 pm »
but James...we want a SP3. please...

al.

toddgoldblum

« Reply #525 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:04 pm »
James
Sounds like a lot of work to upgrade the unit to HDMI inputs, audio processing for new formats, and then video processing too? Hard to believe you can fit that all in sp1.7/2 - will it sound equivalent to sp3?
todd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #526 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:18 pm »
James
Sounds like a lot of work to upgrade the unit to HDMI inputs, audio processing for new formats, and then video processing too? Hard to believe you can fit that all in sp1.7/2 - will it sound equivalent to sp3?
todd

Hi Todd,

Yes it is a lot of work and I assume we will only offer two HDMI inputs on the upgrade option. Video will not be an option as it is not part of the SP1.7 or SP2.  The upgrade for the SP1 and SP2 will just allow for HDMI HD Audio playback.

As for sound I am not sure as I have not been able to listen to an SP3 yet.

james

KeithA

« Reply #527 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:06 am »
James
todd

Hi Todd,

Yes it is a lot of work and I assume we will only offer two HDMI inputs on the upgrade option. Video will not be an option as it is not part of the SP1.7 or SP2.  The upgrade for the SP1 and SP2 will just allow for HDMI HD Audio playback.

As for sound I am not sure as I have not been able to listen to an SP3 yet.

james

It would be great if one of the options was to be able to use the MPS-2 external power supply on the SP 1.7 8)

I've actually entertained the thought of getting a 'good' Blu-Ray player to feed the 1.7 with 5.1 analogue in just to extend the service life of the SP 1.7.

Keith

Levi

« Reply #528 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:22 am »
It would be great if one of the options was to be able to use the MPS-2 external power supply on the SP 1.7 8)

I've actually entertained the thought of getting a 'good' Blu-Ray player to feed the 1.7 with 5.1 analogue in just to extend the service life of the SP 1.7.

Keith

Hey Keith, that's exactly my setup.  I have a good Blu-Ray player (Pioneer BDP-09FD aka BDP-LX91) that decodes HD and outputs to analog 5.1 channel to my SP 1.7.

--Levi

KeithA

« Reply #529 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm »

Keith

Hey Keith, that's exactly my setup.  I have a good Blu-Ray player (Pioneer BDP-09FD aka BDP-LX91) that decodes HD and outputs to analog 5.1 channel to my SP 1.7.

--Levi

That never even dawned on me until about 2 days ago.........definitely something I'm going to be checking out.

Keith

toddgoldblum

« Reply #530 on: 23 Sep 2009, 03:38 am »
I have the new Oppo Bluray which decodes the new formats. I then send it to 1.7 via analog for 5.1 sound. Sounds fantastic. And Oppo also decodes SACD. All for about 500 bucks.

But i want 7.1 sound and to have Bryston do the decoding!!!!
todd

MOZ

« Reply #531 on: 23 Sep 2009, 03:53 pm »

--Levi

Well, tried SP2 + BDP-LX91 on analog vs MC12 + BDP-LX91 on analog... for me the winner is the Lexicon hands up !
Staying analog is good, but upsampling analog to 192/24 with the MC12... is SO MUCH powerfull !
Best results ever heard.

PS : note that most movies on Blu-ray will feature only 48/24...

Levi

« Reply #532 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm »
Nice BDP-LX91 player!  You must be in Europe. 

Did you compare the Lexicon pass-thru against Bryston?  Pass-thru meaning no processing or upsampling involved. :) 

I think the sound through HDMI processing will have the ultimate and speed and sound quality.  Which is what we hope the SP3 will accomplish.

MOZ

« Reply #533 on: 24 Sep 2009, 07:33 am »
I believe the SP3 will be much more accurate to what we can really expect from HD audio.
The SP2 is a great pre but compared to the powerful MC12 it just can't compete at the same level on HT.
I find the SP2 to be better on the 2ch analog part on the other end.
That's why i seek a 2ch pre to add to my system (probably a ML 26S or 380).

I didn't tried the MC12 on "pure" analog mch because i don't see the point, the MC12 is one of the faster calculator i have ever heard (5 DSP chips 32 bit inside !) and it gives you the possibility to digitalize the analog 5.1 in. It works just wonderfully (once you're back in digital... you can process whatever you want at 96/24, including EQ, bass management, levels, distances, 7.1 processing + all DSP aso and then at the end you get a final upsampling at 192/24).
It's just  :o
I've had an MC8 lended and tried it versus the SP2 on 5.1 analog (well you can force the MC8 to duplicate sides in order to obtain 7.1 out... not fair for the SP2 but that's a point for the Lex).
I found the MC8 to be more revelant than the SP2 on the mch analog part, using HD audio.
Even if i don't find the MC8 to be an interesting pre (no EQ, no upsampling available + no A/D possible with the analog 5.1 in...), if anybody is interested by Lexicon... go for a MC12V5EQ (no HDMI needed) or stay with what you have, i will say  :wink:

PS : yes, Europe -> France (Paris), so i get a LX91

Levi

« Reply #534 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm »
Excellent MOZ!  :thumb:

ancient hippy

« Reply #535 on: 20 Oct 2009, 10:56 pm »
i was under the impression high resolution audio was available via a bluray players analogue audio outputs there are many available with  7 channel analogue outputs. in other words you dont need hdmi although would have to use the players dac. if your dealing with an uncompressed 192 24 signal from source this might not be a big deal. please correct me if wrong as this was my intended approach to obtaining high resolution audio.

Levi

« Reply #536 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:31 am »
You are correct.  By merely using the player's decoder, you can listen to high resolution audio.  However, you have to have a good Blu-ray player to match the processing prowess of a good HDMI proc. :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #537 on: 23 Oct 2009, 09:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Listening this weekend to the SP3 in 7.1 passthrough with a Panasonic and Pioneer BlueRay players.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #538 on: 24 Oct 2009, 01:25 am »
James,would be nice to hear thoughts about the 3.0 come monday.
Has to great fun auditioning new gear :thumb:.
She looks  very nice indeed.

Dardemm

« Reply #539 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:33 pm »
Really looking forward to hearing about it James!