SP 3.0?

Phil A

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #500 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:13 pm »
James, what are all the connectors on the back for?  I tried to blow up he picture but it was blurry.  I guess to the right of the balanced outs are two balanced bypass inputs?  I can see on the far right at the bottom are toslink inputs and triggers?  Above the toslinks are the USB, RS232 and ethernet connectors?  Above the RCA multi-channel inputs in the middle bottom are 4 pairs of RCAs labeled "cbl/sat," "dvd,"cd,"tuner?"  Are all those configurable as 2-channel bypass?  I guess the RCAs to the right of those and the XLRs below that are digital inputs?

Thanks

ALEX63

« Reply #501 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:27 pm »
Hi James

Does the SP-3 have an USB imput to decode music stored on an hard drive ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #502 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:35 pm »
Three rack-spaces, top rack-space houses dual power supplies and audio/video HDMI switching.
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232? 2 inputs, Ethernet ? 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic ? 1 Input, Headphone ?1 Stereo Input

Digital Inputs ? 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In ? 1 Video Out
2- S Video In ? 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In ? 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In ? 2 HDMI Out

ALEX63

« Reply #503 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:41 pm »

I asked a simple question. It looks like that you are throwing me the whole nine yards of connections because you didn't appreciated. Whatever.

I take this as a yes.................................... ...........

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #504 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:46 pm »

I asked a simple question. It looks like that you are throwing me the whole nine yards of connections because you didn't appreciated. Whatever.

I take this as a yes.................................... ...........

Hi Alex,

Yes the posts above yours had some questions as well so I thought I would try and give everyone the 'whole nine yards' as you say.

james

PS -you seem to have a nice 'Maggie' system there.

james

ALEX63

« Reply #505 on: 5 Sep 2009, 08:13 pm »
Hi James,

I see now. Sorry for the missunderstanding.

Yes, thank you. My Maggie/Bryston/MIT system is nicely balanced and (now)sounds really good.

werd

« Reply #506 on: 5 Sep 2009, 08:27 pm »
Hi James

Are you offering that SP3.0 in a 240 volt version?

Phil A

« Reply #507 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm »
Three rack-spaces, top rack-space houses dual power supplies and audio/video HDMI switching.
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232? 2 inputs, Ethernet ? 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic ? 1 Input, Headphone ?1 Stereo Input

8 HDMI In ? 2 HDMI Out

James, in the SP 1.7, the multi-channel analog bypass vs. the 2 channel bypass are not identical.  In the SP3 in 7.1 single ended bypass, is the left and right channel of the 7.1 single ended bypass identical to the stereo single ended bypass?  I'm asking as I might have use for an extra single ended bypass and I guess my choices would be to just use the single ended 7.1 channel bypass for the universal player vs. using the 7.1 channel input and the stereo input for 2-channel or I guess getting an RCA to balanced adapter and use the 2nd balanced input.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #508 on: 5 Sep 2009, 11:37 pm »
Hi James

Hi werd

240/60 Hz for USA you mean rather than 230/50Hz for overseas?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #509 on: 5 Sep 2009, 11:38 pm »

8 HDMI In ? 2 HDMI Out

James, in the SP 1.7, the multi-channel analog bypass vs. the 2 channel bypass are not identical.  In the SP3 in 7.1 single ended bypass, is the left and right channel of the 7.1 single ended bypass identical to the stereo single ended bypass?  I'm asking as I might have use for an extra single ended bypass and I guess my choices would be to just use the single ended 7.1 channel bypass for the universal player vs. using the 7.1 channel input and the stereo input for 2-channel or I guess getting an RCA to balanced adapter and use the 2nd balanced input.

Hi Phil,

I will find out.

james

werd

« Reply #510 on: 6 Sep 2009, 01:31 am »
Hi James

Hi werd

240/60 Hz for USA you mean rather than 230/50Hz for overseas?

james

Yes, the 240/60hz Northamerican. Ive seen other pre's around with that config and was wandering if that was an option with your new SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #511 on: 6 Sep 2009, 01:37 am »

8 HDMI In ? 2 HDMI Out

Hi Phil,

I will find out.

james

7.1ch Bypass has the same signal path as 2ch Bypass.

james

Phil A

« Reply #512 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:18 am »

[/quote]

7.1ch Bypass has the same signal path as 2ch Bypass.

james
[/quote]

I would then assume that the 7.1ch Bypass has no level controls for the channels?

CR

« Reply #513 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:43 pm »
Hi James,
 The new design looks nice and I would agree with others about the logos.
 Another thing you might consider is, instead of labeling the inputs on the front as CD, Tape, DVD, it would be nice to have them just as Input 1, Input 2 , and so on. IF possible that would allow the user to rename the input in the setup for front panel screen or onscreen display. I know that most hi end A/V processors don't do this but is sure would be nice.

Carl

Phil A

« Reply #514 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:06 pm »
Hi James,
 The new design looks nice and I would agree with others about the logos.
 Another thing you might consider is, instead of labeling the inputs on the front as CD, Tape, DVD, it would be nice to have them just as Input 1, Input 2 , and so on. IF possible that would allow the user to rename the input in the setup for front panel screen or onscreen display. I know that most hi end A/V processors don't do this but is sure would be nice.

Carl

I hear what you are saying but you still have to remember what you have on input 1 or input 2.  In a secondary basement system where the rack recesses into the wall to the unfinished chart, I have a cheat sheet (since I don't use the system tons) of what is on each input).  I guess they have labeled stuff as balanced 1, balanced 2, etc. and it might get confusing to sum.  Perhaps anal 1 (short for analog :lol:), anal 2, etc., would be less confusing.  I don't mind the way they have it as I have stuff like way now with the SP 1.7.  In the VCR input, I have the DVD recorder.  I have the LDS player in aux.  When I had the CD recorder in the system (I moved it to the basement) it was in the tape input.  The HDTV tuner in is the TV input and since I don't need the associated analog inputs I either cap them with Cardas caps or I've had an output from the bedroom system on the other side of the wall (I won't need that with the SP3 as I already havev HDMI cables going each way along with digital cables so the the digital out of the SP3 will be connected to the Marantz SR6300 in the bedroom system and the other side of the wall and vice versa).

The way they have it now and from what James has indicated from his recent post and the multi-channel input is that I'll just have the universal player going into the multi-channel input and have its HDMI connected to the SP3.  I won't need the analog DVD input.  I'm going to run my BCD-1 into one of the balanced inputs and I have a modded tuner I'll run into the single ended bypass (probably thru the Carver C-9 hologram unit for fun).  I don't really have that much need for additional analog inputs, especially those that are not bypass.  In the days when I used the Pioneer Elite CD recorder (sits in the basement system now) for making a CD (for the car) from a single layer SACD using the tape input analog ins and outs, I had a bit more use for them.  I use a Zune and the PC now to make things and with the volume of music I can fit on an iPod or Zune for the car, I can live w/o something on a single layer SACD and if I really needed it, I still have the CD recorder.

CR

« Reply #515 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm »
Phil,
 Obviously you have run into the same problem I have  :lol:. It's not a case of not remembering what went where but as formats change it would be more logical, :o in my opinion, to perhaps have it as input.
On most upscale equipment it is labeled as such. Coax is usually 1,2,3,4, Toslink is usually 1,2, video in and out follows the same .

Carl

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #516 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:30 pm »
James, are you still considering an addon box for SP2 owners, or, is a trade program from the SP2 to SP3 more likely.
Thanks

Hi Joey,

Still looking at both options.

james

James,

(just to make the nerve breaking perfect...)
let's say that both options are available. do SP2 owners HAVE to go with the extra box or do we have a chance for a trade in?

i would prefer a trade in...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #517 on: 6 Sep 2009, 04:47 pm »
James, are you still considering an addon box for SP2 owners, or, is a trade program from the SP2 to SP3 more likely.
Thanks

Hi Joey,

Still looking at both options.

james

James,

(just to make the nerve breaking perfect...)
let's say that both options are available. do SP2 owners HAVE to go with the extra box or do we have a chance for a trade in?

i would prefer a trade in...

al.

Hi Al,

I am not sure - I guess it will come down to the cost of the different options for each customer.

james

Phil A

« Reply #518 on: 6 Sep 2009, 05:23 pm »
Phil,
 Obviously you have run into the same problem I have  :lol:. It's not a case of not remembering what went where but as formats change it would be more logical, :o in my opinion, to perhaps have it as input.
On most upscale equipment it is labeled as such. Coax is usually 1,2,3,4, Toslink is usually 1,2, video in and out follows the same .

Carl

Carl, I hear and agree.  My old Sony 444ES rec'r I had in the bedroom had a labeling provision.  It now is hooked to the computer with white indoor/outdoor speakers and a 50W powered sub (I don't use the PC sound much - the MAC G5 tower as a built in speaker).  My Marantz SR6300 rec'r in the bedroom now has a labeling provision which I find very helpful.  Over the course of time as I've had universal remotes go bad, I've switched to Harmony.  I have a Harmony One in the main system (had Prontos there previously that I got free with VISA points) and basically it goes by activity.  If I want to play an SACD from the universal I have to set-up an additional activity that won't turn the projector on.  The activity defines the components used and the input on the pre/pro.  My 10+ yr. old Pronto 2000, which is currently in the basement system, is on its way out.  As soon as I end up with the SP3 and switch stuff around, I'll probably get another Harmony (perhaps the new 700 that just was announced) so I don't have to think about what is plugged into what as much.  For the stuff I use most of the time I don't think about it (e.g. if I'm watching TV in the basement which is mainly what the system is for since the main room has too much light during the day), but if I go to play something through the DAC I have down there I have to think about where it is hooked to.  The bedroom system is easier as the Marantz SR6300 has labels and the Pronto Neo I have is fine.

NiToNi

« Reply #519 on: 6 Sep 2009, 06:20 pm »
James,

Will the preamp be good enough to use exclusively with 28B-SST? I mean, has it been a design goal to be on par or a good match SQ wise with even the best of your power amp offerings? Or is a good 2-channel preamp (with HT bypass obviously) still recommended for ultimate high fidelity?

If so, I may need to eBay my present preamp... :wink:

... and is this a truly balanced/differential design? If not, how is the XLR output signal derived? Transformers?