SP 3.0?

brucek

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #480 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:34 pm »
No room correction yet and if we do it will probably be limited to frequencies below 200 cycles.

Certainly a good idea to provide it for the modal region. I use an external parametric equalizer for my sub with my SP2 to reduce modal peaks. It's a must.

I want to get the basic unit out there and then make decisions as we go as to what additional features make sense without compromising audio performance which will then be up-loadable as software updates through the Ethernet connection.

Makes sense.
Something that I've been rolling around in my head lately is the future requirement for a video scaler/de-interlacer/upconvertor. My second system uses a new Denon receiver that takes all analog and digital inputs and scales them to any resolution up to 1080p so that I only have a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the HDTV. This is a nice feature since I pass down my older equipment to this system and so I have a variety of 480i analog, 480p component video, 720p HDMI, etc,  that requires scaling.

I wonder how long this will be a requirement though. How long before every piece of equipment we own has a 1080p output that we only want to switch and strip, leaving the fancy video processor idle.....

brucek

srb

« Reply #481 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm »
How long before every piece of equipment we own has a 1080p output that we only want to switch and strip, leaving the fancy video processor idle.....

You'll want to upscale those to the new 2160p or, as in a recent TV commercial, a "million80p"!   ;)

When will it ever stop?

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2009, 06:21 pm by srb »

Phil A

« Reply #482 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:28 pm »
HDMI 1.3 itself is capable of 1440p.  Not sure about what would need to be done to supporting hardware/software.

gdbalp

« Reply #483 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:30 am »

Hi James,

Just a quick question for the minimum height from the top of the SP3 for cooling reasons?  My cabinets are tight with audio components, so I want to ensure a proper clearance height.

Also, can you release at this time the dimensions of the new SP3?

Here is my feedback on the front of the SP3, I would have liked to have seen the the logos for DTS/Dolby/etc... at the bottom of the face plate - looks more classy... 

Regards,

Luigi

Levi

« Reply #484 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:39 am »
Hi James,

That SP3.0 looks nice and the layout is very clean.  :thumb: 

--Levi

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #485 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:35 am »

Mad Mr H

« Reply #486 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:07 am »
James,

for the "HDMI, Dolby, DTS HD , etc."

PLEASE consider printing silver logos on a silver face.

Use a different silver tone to the face.

(grey/silver on black as well)

This for me gives subtle style to the finish.

Looks very well made as always,

And audio stripping with video pass through I think is the best way forward these days.........

Most players / screens / Pj's have their own scaler systems, ad for the high end systems a seperate scaler is still often fitted.......

Andy.

MOZ

« Reply #487 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:46 am »
James,

for the "HDMI, Dolby, DTS HD , etc."

PLEASE consider printing silver logos on a silver face.

Use a different silver tone to the face.

(grey/silver on black as well)

This for me gives subtle style to the finish.

Well, i don't like the look of the printed logos either...
James, you should write them smaller (it will be more elegant), at the bottom and, well maybe enbossed on the face plate ?
Black is not very good looking...

Look at the very well designed faceplate of the MC12 (that i own) for ex...

MOZ

« Reply #488 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:47 am »
sorry, error...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #489 on: 4 Sep 2009, 10:53 am »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - we will be adjusting logos and sizes -this is just a prototype.  The heighth is 3 rack spaces.

james

warren460

« Reply #490 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:28 am »
Hi James,

Good luck at Cedia and good luck with the new product launch.

When do you expect that the sp3 will be available for purchase

Will a video upgrade be available for the incremental price difference between the models

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #491 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:33 am »
Hi Warren

There is still a lot of software work ahead so hopefully things will come together soon.  The video section we are looking at now and trying to decide the best way to impliment it.

james

srb

« Reply #492 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:49 pm »
That Lexicon logo layout with grey silkscreen looks good.  Think I'd like it even a little better without the oval sketched around the model name.

Steve

ALEX63

« Reply #493 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:56 am »
Hi James,

To me the new SP-3  looks very "Bryston" which I think is the most important thing.
I agree with others that all the logos should be on the bottom of the faceplate.
I don't know if the flexibility of the sub crossover on the SP-3 has ever been discussed here.
Under this point of view I consider the SP-2 a step back compared to the SP-1.7 that regardless of the settings of the other speakers has the superior flexibility to allow the sub crossover to be set indipendently. I consider this a plus especially with musical dvd for a smoother and more musical sub rensponse.
I hope that under this point of view the SP-3 will regain that flexibility.

mv038856

« Reply #494 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:27 am »
Hi James!

Very nice, the power supply and the "noisy" video section reside in a physically separated compartment within the SP-3. I like that as it is consistent with the previous argumentation for the SP-2 having no video at all. ;)

As for the codec logos, making them a little less dominant on the face plate is a good idea!

Where do I see the fully descrete driver sections for the pre out that have been stacked in the original SP-1/SP-1.7/SP-2-design? You wouldn't be using integrated circuits in the analog signal path, would you?
If I interpret correctly what I see, for volume control, the SP-3 won't have an ALPS potentiometer anymore but a resistor network just like the B-100, am I right here?

I think, I will like the black version, maybe even in 19", the best.

Anxiously waiting for the German release and the SP-2 upgrade terms... ;)

Cheers from Germany!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #495 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:55 am »
Hi Markus - NO IC's in the signal path and instead of stacking the Class A discrete operational amplifiers are placed on the main circuit board.

Yes volume control is a resitive ladder netwok similar to the B100.

james

NiToNi

« Reply #496 on: 5 Sep 2009, 01:12 pm »
Looks nice (except for the tacky logos on the front). Any chance of a rear panel pic?

I would leave room correction out unless it will be very very good. Otherwise it will just add to the price while one could still get a better solution for $350:

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/am8033_wen.pdf

The Anti Mode 8300 has 24 FIR filters @ 1/82 octave resolution between 16-144 Hz and corrects both in the amplitude and time domain. If the Sp3.0 doesn't add this level of sophistication for the same price premium, there is no point really. Moreover, this technology moves so fast (even faster than HDMI standards :lol:) that it may be a good idea to leave it out all together.

DSP power would instead be better allocated on superior speaker and bass management, for example on par with something like an XTA DP448:

http://www.xta.uk.com/pdfs/XTA_4SERIES_BRO.pdf

What most processor lack today is a well thought out speaker management system, including precision time alignement/delay on each output (increments of 0.325 microseconds), different and independent crossover filters (order/slope, characteristics, linear/minimum phase etc), and total flexibility for routing of bass and other frequency bands. Such a simple thing as integrating a subwoofer in a 2.1 configuration for stereo listening is one such thing that audio companies seldom get right in their processors.

Digital output for each channel remains a dream I guess.. probably due to DMR issues?

joey116

« Reply #497 on: 5 Sep 2009, 01:25 pm »
James, are you still considering an addon box for SP2 owners, or, is a trade program from the SP2 to SP3 more likely.
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #498 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:47 pm »
James, are you still considering an addon box for SP2 owners, or, is a trade program from the SP2 to SP3 more likely.
Thanks

Hi Joey,

Still looking at both options.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #499 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:50 pm »
Looks nice (except for the tacky logos on the front). Any chance of a rear panel pic?

Audio only version.

james