• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #461 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:15 pm »
James,

''HDMI issues''? what exactly?

al.

Hi Al,

Problems with the HDMI not working because it does not recognize the component attached to it - its the copy-code issue I believe.
I have just heard from a few installers that they are going back to 'component' video hookups as this whole HDMI thing is a real pain.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #462 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:57 pm »
I agree James...HDMI could have implicated much better.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #463 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:24 pm »
ok, James. thanx.
if it is the 'HDCP' thing then both components have to have this code to recognize each other, correct?

to be honest...i don't think that a brandnew digital audio/video standard will be available in the near future even if HDMI has its troubles at the moment?!

al.

alexone

« Reply #464 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:11 pm »

Apple still doesn't support/offer HDMI in their products...

does anyone knows why?

al.

mv038856

« Reply #465 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:00 am »
Hi markus,

Sorry I missed this - who is Chris?

Hi James,

does the name Chris Russell mean anything to you? ;-)

Regarding the HDMI-issue(s), it is exactly what I have been writing about in this thread a number of times. I am afraid, however, that the Digital Audio Engine Bryston will be using in the SP-3 will not include the perfect HDMI solution. If I am not mistaken, the DAE has a single HDMI receiver chip, i.e., it has to renegotiate the supported resolutions and the HDCP (copy protection) handshake (from source to the display device) everytime the source is switched. There are, as mentioned before, solutions coming up, that use a single receiver chip per input. This way, they can maintain a connection to each source device, even if it is not selected. When switching between the source devices most of the negotiating has already been done, since these solutions seem to buffer some information needed to make the connection. The downside, however, is that these 'perfect' solutions are very pricy. Therefore, if the SP-3 is not to be 2 - 3k more expensive, my guess is that Bryston SP-3 users just might have to live with longer switching times between HDMI inputs or buy an external HDMI switching unit, which offers the single receiver per input approach. I don't expect the software in the SP-3 to be able to 'fix' all HDMI imperfections...

Apple & HDMI (&BluRay!)... it's been one more reason for me not to buy Apple, since they withhold this important technology from their customers! So it had to be an Acer instead.

Cheers from my Japan trip from Osaka!

Markus

EDIT:
This is what Crestron claims about their switches:

HDMI switching has been a challenge; when systems don't work right, troubleshooting is nearly impossible. The problem could be at the source, the display, the cable, the switcher or an issue with HDCP authentication keys. Crestron HDMI switchers prevent frustrating switching delays with exclusive, built-in QuickSwitch HD? technology, which pre-authorizes HDCP keys and maintains a constant handshake between sources and the display for fast, uninterrupted HDMI switching.

And this is not more or less than one would expect from ANY HDMI switching device.

http://www.crestron.com/press_room/press_releases/show_release.asp?press_release_id=1413

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #466 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:40 pm »
Thanks Markus - I will look into this - I thought it was on the video side that the problems existed and not and issue with the audio side?

james

mv038856

« Reply #467 on: 22 Aug 2009, 02:18 pm »
Thanks Markus - I will look into this - I thought it was on the video side that the problems existed and not and issue with the audio side?

james

Hi James,

with HDMI, audio and video cannot really be separated as far as negotiating the connection is concerned. The SP-3 would just be a part of the chain the audio AND the video signal has to pass and every step from source to the last receiver (in most cases the video display) has to be negotiated through before a signal is sent by the source and can be received by the audio system and the video display. Such is my understanding of the matter.

Cheers!

Markus

rcjordin

« Reply #468 on: 2 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm »

does anyone knows why?

al.

Not quite true.  The AppleTV has an HDMI out on it. 

Robert

Phil A

« Reply #469 on: 2 Sep 2009, 11:23 pm »

james

Here's and interesting link to an article about handshake issues:

?Sep 02, 2009 11:40 ET

Key Digital? De-Mystifies HDMI Custom Installations with ?How to Make HDMI Plug and Play Instead of Plug and Pray? Article Written by Mike Tsinberg
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. --(Business Wire)-- Sep 02, 2009 Key Digital Systems, Inc. the Experts in Digital Video Technology and Solutions have issued an informative article written by President and Company Founder, Mike Tsinberg. Mr. Tsinberg is the holder of 40 HDTV patents and founded Key Digital Systems in 1999 after a successful career with Phillips Research where he was in charge of the HDTV effort. Before making his contributions to DTV with Phillips, Mr. Tsinberg was the Head of Research and Development for Toshiba America and developed the world?s first DVD authoring systems.
Here is an excerpt from the article:
Many professional installers of AV equipment are calling HDMI Plug and Pray instead of Plug and Play. What is the reason behind such a degrading name? The digital connectivity predecessors to HDMI, DVI and VGA, were proven to be reliable Video connections. So what happened? There are a few clear factors. To begin, let?s break HDMI down into three basic parts HDMI = TMDS + EDID + HDCP
   TMDS: The basic Video and Video/Audio delivery in HDMI is done via TMDS, also known as Transition Minimized Differential Signaling. TMDS is a technology for transmitting high-speed serial data via four twisted pairs and is also used by the DVI video interface, as well as other digital communication interfaces. TMDS works well. Recent developments in TMDS equalizer semiconductors allowed for reliable extension of HDMI cable up to 125 feet for 1080p/60 transmissions, and also enabled active HDMI to CAT5 Baluns to run up to 150 feet of CAT5/6 cables for this same resolution.
   EDID: A data structure originally used in DVI and VGA displays to describe the display?s capabilities to a graphics card. Also known as Extended Display Identification Data. The rules of EDID are simple?
This article can be continued at http://www.keydigital.com/KnowledgeCenter_HDMIPlugNPlay_wp.html
Key Digital? Systems is a CES award-winning developer and manufacturer of leading-edge technology for HDTV applications, delivering total video systems solutions. The company manufactures a wide range of digital video processing and video signal distribution solutions marketed broadly to the HDTV community, such as digital video and audio processors, switchers, distribution amplifiers, cables, adapters, and more. ?For more information, visit us at www.keydigital.com.

alexone

« Reply #470 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm »

does anyone knows why?

al.

Not quite true.  The AppleTV has an HDMI out on it. 

Robert

ok. cool, Robert. i didn't know that!

al.

alexone

« Reply #471 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:41 pm »
James,

what colour will the display be of the SP3 ? hopefully green.......?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #472 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:59 pm »
James,

what colour will the display be of the SP3 ? hopefully green.......?

al.

Even though the pressure was on for Blue - it will be Green.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #473 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:27 pm »
Sneak preview of SP3 audio only prototype we will be showing next week at the CEDIA Show in Atlanta.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #474 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:33 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #475 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:35 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #476 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:40 pm »

brucek

« Reply #477 on: 3 Sep 2009, 07:28 pm »
Looks very nice.....

Can we assume that audio-only implies HDMI pass-through with audio stripped?

Any room correction?

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #478 on: 3 Sep 2009, 07:39 pm »
Looks very nice.....

Can we assume that audio-only implies HDMI pass-through with audio stripped?

Any room correction?

brucek

Hi Bruce,

Correct audio is stripped off.

No room correction yet and if we do it will probably be limited to frequencies below 200 cycles.

Bruce I want to get the basic unit out there and then make decisions as we go as to what additional features make sense without compromising audio performance which will then be up-loadable as software updates through the Ethernet connection.

james

KeithA

« Reply #479 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm »

Can't say I like the look of it :o

Keith