SP 3.0?

Phil A

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #400 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:35 am »
You may wish to read this:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_2.html

?The coaxial or optical digital audio output enables 5.1-channel playback through A/V receivers and home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems equipped only with Dolby Digital decoding*. While you won?t realize the full high-definition capabilities of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, the sound quality can be better than that of standard-definition DVD, because your Dolby Digital receiver can take advantage of a higher 640 kbps core Dolby Digital signal on Blu-ray? discs.?

Levi

« Reply #401 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:50 am »
This device - http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdautooptoco.html  has been discussed on other boards on this forum.  I'm currently

I don't see the need for the HDMI to digital adapter that you suggested.

You may wish to read this:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_2.html

?The coaxial or optical digital audio output enables 5.1-channel playback through A/V receivers and home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems equipped only with Dolby Digital decoding*. While you won?t realize the full high-definition capabilities of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, the sound quality can be better than that of standard-definition DVD, because your Dolby Digital receiver can take advantage of a higher 640 kbps core Dolby Digital signal on Blu-ray? discs.?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #402 on: 11 Jul 2009, 07:07 am »
Yes I think some way of implementing an upgrade to current SP1.7's and SP2's looks like a better option than trade-ins given all the threatening  litigation issues.

james

James,

i hope Bryston still follows the SP3 (trade in) path instead of upgrading the SP1.7, SP2... :icon_lol: ?!?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #403 on: 11 Jul 2009, 09:30 am »
Hi Al,

Yes I thought the upgrade path would be the best option for most but based on some customers concern with the trade in values they might receive for their older units we have looked at what we could do to allow the upgrade of current SP2's and SP1.7's

At this point it looks like we might be able to do it with an outboard box that would connect to the SP2/SP1.7.

james
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2009, 02:18 pm by James Tanner »

Levi

« Reply #404 on: 11 Jul 2009, 01:48 pm »
That sounds good James. 

Now all I need to do is upgrade mine to SP2.

alexone

« Reply #405 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:18 pm »
Hi Al,

Yes I thought the upgrade path would be the best option for most but based on some customers concern with the trade in values they might receive for their older units we have looked at what we could do to allow the upgrade of current SP2's and SP1.7's

At this point it looks like we might be able to do it with an outboard box that would connect to the SP2/SP1.7.

james

No... :bawl:---please don't tell us that 1.7/2.0 owners don't have the chance to trade in their units.

it was such a good idea.

al.

alexone

« Reply #406 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:26 pm »
James,

if the outboard becomes reality- what connectors will it have?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #407 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:28 pm »
Hi Al,

james

No... :bawl:---please don't tell us that 1.7/2.0 owners don't have the chance to trade in their units.

it was such a good idea.

al.

Hi Al,

No I think the trade in idea makes the most sense in my opinion I am just thinking of ways of offering an alternative to those that do not agree with this approach.

james

alexone

« Reply #408 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:36 pm »
...boy! i lost weight and had to change my shirt a few times during the last two minutes because of the sweating.

need a cold drink now!

al.

Phil A

« Reply #409 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:18 pm »
I've noted the trade-in is a good idea but that I think some may have expectations that are perhaps not something that a manufacturer can do.  A secondary option is great idea.  The idea of an outboard box that might even have the potential to be used with other brands is not a bad idea.  There may be people out there with other brands of expensive processors or  flagship receivers they paid lots for and it could be something that makes them look at Bryston more favorably. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #410 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:28 pm »
Hi Phil,

Yes we were thinking an outboard box that would 'slave' to the SP2 or SP1.7. We could have say 8-HDMI inputs and decord them in HD and then output them through a 7.1 RCA fully discrete Class A preamp section (same circuitry as in the new SP3)?

james

Levi

« Reply #411 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:46 pm »
Yes that is a great idea James. I hope it materializes.

Your market will definitely much broader with an outboard box if the cost vs performance proves to have good value.

brucek

« Reply #412 on: 12 Jul 2009, 08:08 pm »

............Yes we were thinking an outboard box that would 'slave' to the SP2 or SP1.7. We could have say 8-HDMI inputs and decord them in HD and then output them through a 7.1 RCA fully discrete Class A preamp section (same circuitry as in the new SP3)?

james

I'm a bit confused by this solution.

What would we do with the analog 7.1 set of signals? The SP2 only has a 5.1 analog pass-through input.

The cost of such a device would be quite high, I would imagine.

It would require a case with appropriate jacks, remote control, power supplies, DAC's and a DSP processor to decode signals that would also include the DTS and Dolby HD bitstreams.

Basically sounds like an SP3 without the analog input. I can't imagine it costing much less than ~$4K...

I suppose that this is cheaper than the trade-in route, which I suppose would be in the order of ~$6K ($8K-$2K trade-in)?

At first glance it sounds like a messy solution.

Personally, I love my SP2. I wish it had some HDMI inputs on it that would pass the HDMI signal out to my HDTV and decode the audio. It would be nice if it decoded Dolby HD and DTS HD audio. I would like at least 4 HDMI inputs for a BluRay player, Sat receiver and Laptop, and a spare. I ain't prepared to go another $4-$6K to get it.  :roll:

brucek

Levi

« Reply #413 on: 12 Jul 2009, 08:23 pm »

What would we do with the analog 7.1 set of signals? The SP2 only has a 5.1 analog pass-through input.

brucek

What!?  SP2 only has 5.1 analog input? :scratch:
James I am seriosly not going the SP2 route. That is a serious downgrade.

Can some please clarify this?

I found the answer.   :green:
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 02:32 am by Levi »

Phil A

« Reply #414 on: 12 Jul 2009, 08:23 pm »

............Yes we were thinking an outboard box that would 'slave' to the SP2 or SP1.7. We could have say 8-HDMI inputs and decord them in HD and then output them through a 7.1 RCA fully discrete Class A preamp section (same circuitry as in the new SP3)?

james

I'm a bit confused by this solution.

The cost of such a device would be quite high, I would imagine.

It would require a case with appropriate jacks, remote control, power supplies, DAC's and a DSP processor to decode signals that would also include the DTS and Dolby HD bitstreams.

Basically sounds like an SP3 without the analog input. I can't imagine it costing much less than ~$4K...

I suppose that this is cheaper than the trade-in route, which I suppose would be in the order of ~$6K ($8K-$2K trade-in)?

At first glance it sounds like a messy solution.

Personally, I love my SP2. I wish it had some HDMI inputs on it that would pass the HDMI signal out to my HDTV and decode the audio. It would be nice if it decoded Dolby HD and DTS HD audio. I would like at least 4 HDMI inputs for a BluRay player, Sat receiver and Laptop, and a spare. I ain't prepared to go another $4-$6K to get it.  :roll:

brucek

I agree.  It probably is easier for Bryston to do it that way rather than figure out fitting a new digital board into SP 1.7s and SP2s.  It also is something that could be of interest to owners of other high end processors who don't want to spend more than a certain amount.  I don't really want another box.  If they offer a trade of anything reasonable for my SP1.7, I'm more inclined to go that route than wait for however long it will take for the 'upgrade' to come out.  I don't see that solution being in the same price range as the SP1.7 to SP2 upgrade and as you noted it leaves you with 7.1 analog outs vs. 5.1 analog ins.  I can live with my Oppo BDP-83 for that mess and my Oppo three in one out HDMI switch.  I have an HD TV Tuner, the BDP-83 and a Marantz DV9600 going HDMI at the moment.  I might end up with a Modwright BDP-83 and certainly don't need 8 HDMI inputs for anything (the only other thing I can see hooking up is my Western Digital Media Player I have not got to yet).  Hopefully there will be some sort of trade-in program.  Otherwise, I might need to consider alternatives such as a selling and getting what I can for the  SP1.7 and moving is a preamp with HT bypass that's a bit more high end than a BP-16.

Levi

« Reply #415 on: 13 Jul 2009, 12:19 am »
Nice Bryston SP3 spy shot! :grin:  2008 CEDIA Expo pictures :thumb:

Having seen the rear, I would definitely take the trade-in offer. 

I thought it looked similar to Cary's.  :scratch:

bmoura

« Reply #416 on: 19 Jul 2009, 12:27 am »
WOW......2 Years out the window for nothing.I had a feeling HDMI would be a whole new ball of wax.
By the sound of it I take it HDMI  1.4 will be in the new SP3?

Not sure at this point - we are discussing it now.  It looks as if there is no advantage to 1.4 beyond video and because the SP3 first and formost is an AUDIO product I think we will move on as it is.

james

I'd agree.  Stay with HDMI 1.3.

gdbalp

« Reply #417 on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:19 am »
No I think the trade in idea makes the most sense in my opinion I am just thinking of ways of offering an alternative to those that do not agree with this approach.

james
[/quote]

Hi,

I want to add my voice to the trade-in discussion. 
Here is my take on the trade-in value:

1) SP2 to SP3 > $3,000
2) SP1 to SP3 > $4,000
3) SP1, SP2 - upgrade only > $1,500
Note: upgrade only option would include a slave unit, limited programming updates and 2 HDMI connections???

One solution to the older SP1/2 would be to convert them - reduced digital and increase analog sections???  Include a phone stage for turntables???

Here are my concerns with SP3:
1) HDMI 1.4 versus 1.3
2) USB 3 versus 2
The technology is changing rapidly, so what will Bryston do in the near future?  It is all about downloading and solid state devices, so the unit needs to be ready... :roll:

Ciao  Luigi

Phil A

« Reply #418 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:07 am »
Technology always changes.  Digital and video seem to change more rapidly.  That's why I like the option w/o video processing.  I can always buy the next generation of player.  I've owned some expensive things in the past that by today's standards would almost be doorstops.  That's why I like the Oppo BDP-83 and may have a reasonable mod done to it and I don't mind at that price point getting the next generation whenever it comes out.

I also think people are being unrealistic about trade-ins and what a manufacturer can offer.  I have a friend who is selling his SP1.7 on Audiogon and is not asking an arm and a leg and is getting lower offers.  I think realistically (not that I don't want more) a trade in of an SP2 will be less than $2k, an SP1.7 a few hundred less and an SP1 a few hundred less than that.  HDMI 1.4 or USB 3.0 will become more common and perhaps more popular too.   If it becomes the norm on processors, the SP3 will take a hit on value as will any older technology.  One can't expect technology to remain the same or for someone else to take a financial hit for a non-essential item built with the technology of the day when it was designed.  It's that way with most technology items.  You buy when they are current and decide when to sell or hold based on your own preferences. 

I had a $7.5k DVD transport at one point several years back.  I think one needs to buy by what fits their budget and their comfort level for future technology and realistic value.  What's an SP1.7 or SP2 going to be worth when HDMI 1.4 and USB 3.0 is the norm?  How about what it will be worth when the replacement for HDMI 1.4 and USB 3.0 is the norm?  Point is don't buy digital or video electronics in particular if you're concerned about future value.  To me the Oppo BDP-83 may be my comfort level.  Some else may not mind the Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player at 3 times the price.  Someone else might not mind the upcoming Marantz reference Blu-Ray/SACD player at $6.5k list.  It's OK if you spend more money on your preferences but don't expect Pioneer Elite or Marantz to subsidize your decision when the next generation is out.  I'm sure James and Bryston are going to do all they can do to satisfy customers under the circumstances.  The fact they won't please everyone is a given.  They can't eat the costs of decisions made by every single person based on their own preferences and priorities.

I

ralph1950

« Reply #419 on: 23 Jul 2009, 05:56 pm »
I agree.  Buy a car last year without a usb port for your I-pod and expect your money back for one like this years models.  ( just an example  I heard from a couple talking about that in the restraunt last week. )