SP 3.0?

drummermitchell

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #380 on: 14 Jun 2009, 03:17 pm »
Let the so called competion ship out their massed produced recyclablesI'm glad Bryston is taking their time with the 3.0,it shows me they take pride and care in what they are making,hand soldered,hand built,not robotic ship them out as fast as you can type of ACME products.not some splash and dash outfit,one year warranty blah,blah,blah,Even if it took another year,at least you will have a pc.
that is of the utmost quality and sonics.I would like the 3.0 to be out but,
I believe she'll be worth the wait.Any rush job,you definately don't get any quality workmanship or warranty,same thing as the trades,rush job,BS workmanship.Yikes I don't know where this all came from,I'd better go mess with my 10B.

1oldguy

« Reply #381 on: 14 Jun 2009, 03:56 pm »
I agree 100% with not rushing things up.That's why I bought the gear from Bryston as well as the fact that they are great People to deal with.

Levi

« Reply #382 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:10 am »
Rest assured, there are going to be no rush jobs coming out from Bryston. 

Since Montreal Audio Show, Munich High End Show in Germany and Bristol 2009, CES shows are over etc.  Perhaps another year has passed. :lol:

ralph1950

« Reply #383 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:59 am »
Maybe an add on for the SP2 for the audio chips???  Just a thought.  "searching for spv"  ???
But a 5.1 analog  preamp is a good thought.  Maybe even a preamp for a less expensive system where the owner cannot tell the difference from plain old dolby digital and the new music formats.  Allot of our customers don't really care, and are happy with a cheaper system just so they can watch sports and news, take advantage of the cheap speakers the builders cut into thier celings,  or listen to music while out on the padio or pool deck.  I see all kinds.

1oldguy

« Reply #384 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:48 am »
Hi James

Wondering if the SP3 (Audio Version) will have more than 1 HDMI input?I read in a write up some where that it will only have 1 in and one out.Figured it best to ask you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #385 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:04 pm »
Hi James

Wondering if the SP3 (Audio Version) will have more than 1 HDMI input?I read in a write up some where that it will only have 1 in and one out.Figured it best to ask you.

Hi,

Originally we were going to have 3 versions - 1 with 1 HDMI in and out.  We have decided there will only be 2 versions.  One with Video on board and one without video.  At this point it looks like both will have 8 HDMI inputs and 2 out.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #386 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:45 pm »
Thanks James....Sounds Great

brucek

« Reply #387 on: 24 Jun 2009, 06:14 pm »
So, basically there's one version, with the option of adding a video section?

If the SP3 with the video section will be in the range of $10,000, any estimates on the version without the video option?

Interested to know how the video option affects the pricing. :)

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #388 on: 24 Jun 2009, 06:44 pm »
So, basically there's one version, with the option of adding a video section?

If the SP3 with the video section will be in the range of $10,000, any estimates on the version without the video option?

Interested to know how the video option affects the pricing. :)

brucek

Hi brucek,

We assume about $2000 for the video section so hopefully $8000 on the audio only SP3.

james

Mad Mr H

« Reply #389 on: 25 Jun 2009, 09:01 pm »
You should be able to use BOTH HDMI outputs at the same time.

They should also be able to give different resolutons and refresh rates from each other.

1080p24 is a must.

Room EQ, ISF calibration, upscale.......

long list of must have items - SORRY if these are already in this thread, I joined it very late (page 20)

Andy.

antt

« Reply #390 on: 8 Jul 2009, 04:50 am »
Has there been any consideration for thermally isolating the IC's from the power supplies?  Since you can't give as long a warranty on the IC's, this could help them last longer by running them cooler.

Bill

nicolasb

« Reply #391 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:56 am »
I'll be happy when it is done, a trade-in value is established (although I think many here may be overly optimistic about values which I would expect to be in the lower end of the range of what used ones go for, removing the pain of selling it versus doing it on your own for a few hundred more
That would be a very sensible decision - assuming that Bryston wants to find itself on the wrong end of a class-action lawsuit.

Unfortunately they have repeatedly and publically promised, since at least a couple of years before the launch of the SP2, that the SP1.7 and its successors would eventually be upgradeable to something capable of decoding "HD" audio formats. I and many other people would never have bought an SP1.7 in the first place if we hadn't been repeatedly promised that there would be an affordable upgrade path. And that goes double for SP2 owners. The minimum trade-in value they could possibly get away with for an SP1.7 would be the resale value of an SP1.7 at the time that Bryston first started publically announcing that it would be upgradeable - that's the amount of money that Bryston's promises have cost people who decided not to sell their SP1.7 then on the basis of that promise.

lossless

« Reply #392 on: 9 Jul 2009, 09:51 pm »
I'll be happy when it is done, a trade-in value is established (although I think many here may be overly optimistic about values which I would expect to be in the lower end of the range of what used ones go for, removing the pain of selling it versus doing it on your own for a few hundred more
That would be a very sensible decision - assuming that Bryston wants to find itself on the wrong end of a class-action lawsuit.

Unfortunately they have repeatedly and publically promised, since at least a couple of years before the launch of the SP2, that the SP1.7 and its successors would eventually be upgradeable to something capable of decoding "HD" audio formats. I and many other people would never have bought an SP1.7 in the first place if we hadn't been repeatedly promised that there would be an affordable upgrade path. And that goes double for SP2 owners. The minimum trade-in value they could possibly get away with for an SP1.7 would be the resale value of an SP1.7 at the time that Bryston first started publically announcing that it would be upgradeable - that's the amount of money that Bryston's promises have cost people who decided not to sell their SP1.7 then on the basis of that promise.

I could not have said it better myself nicolasb.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #393 on: 9 Jul 2009, 10:38 pm »
Yes I think some way of implementing an upgrade to current SP1.7's and SP2's looks like a better option than trade-ins given all the threatening  litigation issues.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #394 on: 9 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm »
Mad MR H,I do know 1080p,but what's the 24,short for 240hz :scratch:.

Phil A

« Reply #395 on: 9 Jul 2009, 11:34 pm »
This device - http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdautooptoco.html  has been discussed on other boards on this forum.  I'm currently using the Oppo BDP-83 via its analog outs with my SP1.7.  I do understand how everyone feels (both sides).  I personally don't mind taking some sort of trade (even a bit less than going Audiogon sales) to get newer and more useful technology with more inputs.  I also don't mind even some sort of trade on something like a re-designed BP-26 with HT bypass so I can go ahead and upgrade any future stuff with the smaller mass market companies who can do things faster.  Of course. I'm more of a 2-channel person compared to many.  I personally don't mind the trade option 1st (for a limited period of time) and those who choose to wait beyond that can get some upgrade path.  Perhaps Bryston taking some of the traded units can use a small portion of them to try different options.  I'd fully expect Bryston to have the SP3.0 out before they start experimenting with an upgrade path for the SP2s and  SP 1.7s and I don't mind paying a bit getting newer stuff faster.

So if it was up to me I'd like to see Bryston offer a limited time trade-in program for 6 mos. while they develop upgrades for the older units and then have a reasonably priced (e.g. $1.5-2k similar to SP1.7s to SP2s) upgrade for a limited period of time (e.g. 18 mos.)   From my perspective, a couple of years down the road with upgrades still available to SP1.7s and SP2s, it would not be a horrible thing for the used market if someone wants to sell one that has not been upgraded and it wouldn't be a horrible thing for Bryston to be able to make some money at a higher rate than the initial upgrades and the people who took the trade do so knowing their may be newer technology down the road and do so knowing they have to make a quick decision (I don't expect Bryston to offer trades long term).

Levi

« Reply #396 on: 10 Jul 2009, 01:13 am »
I don't see my self using HDMI audio to digital converter.  Instead of extracting sound from HDMI, Why not just use the digital out from the Blu-Ray player?  :duh:  I am not a fan of digital video switcher the reason I have a Bryston SP 1.7 :)  Also my Pioneer BDP-09FD has dual HDMI out, excellent DTS-HD built-in decoder and awesome 7.1 audio out!  :thumb:

Basically I am happy with my SP1.7 for now.  aa  Thanks to Pioneer 09FD Blu-ray player!

This device - http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdautooptoco.html  has been discussed on other boards on this forum.  I'm currently

Phil A

« Reply #397 on: 10 Jul 2009, 01:48 am »
I don't see my self using HDMI audio to digital converter.  Instead of extracting sound from HDMI, Why not just use the digital out from the Blu-Ray player?  :duh:  I am not a fan of digital video switcher the reason I have a Bryston SP 1.7 :)  Also my Pioneer BDP-09FD has dual HDMI out, excellent DTS-HD built-in decoder and awesome 7.1 audio out!  :thumb:

Basically I am happy with my SP1.7 for now.  aa  Thanks to Pioneer 09FD Blu-ray player!

This device - http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdautooptoco.html  has been discussed on other boards on this forum.  I'm currently

The digital out of a Blu-Ray player will only give you pretty much what you can get on DVD.  They may use the maximum bit rate for Dolby Digital but you wouldn't be getting much different than you could get on the Superbit DVDs (sound wise) Columbia Tri-Star released.  There's a difference that can be noticed just between normal CD quality PCM (16/44.1) and compressed Dolby Digital and there's even more difference between CD quality PCM and the sound capability of Blu-Ray which can contain up to 8 channels of 24/192 uncompressed PCM.  If you're one to be satisfied with a high quality MP3 than plain old Dolby Digital should be fine.  Once you hear what SACD or DVD-A high resolution sound can be on a good quality system it's kind of hard to go back to something less than CD quality.  The opening scenes of "Valkyrie" are much more impress with real hi-rez sound.  I could live with the Oppo BDP-83 and the analog outs the way I have them now as I do use 4 subs (left, right center and rears), even though I presently have a sub on the rears I define them as small.

Levi

« Reply #398 on: 10 Jul 2009, 02:27 am »
What?!?  I am confused.  If you are using the SP1.7 digital input the sound is only as good as the SP1.7 dac.  Anything higher will be down sampled to 24/96! :duh:

The Oppo BDP-83 sound quality is not it's famous traits.  Video is good but audio sounded thin compared to the Pioneer 09FD.

The digital out of a Blu-Ray player will only give you pretty much what you can get on DVD.  They may use the maximum bit rate for Dolby Digital but you wouldn't be getting much different than you could get on the Superbit DVDs (sound wise) Columbia Tri-Star released.  There's a difference that can be noticed just between normal CD quality PCM (16/44.1) and compressed Dolby Digital and there's even more difference between CD quality PCM and the sound capability of Blu-Ray which can contain up to 8 channels of 24/192 uncompressed PCM.  If you're one to be satisfied with a high quality MP3 than plain old Dolby Digital should be fine.  Once you hear what SACD or DVD-A high resolution sound can be on a good quality system it's kind of hard to go back to something less than CD quality.  The opening scenes of "Valkyrie" are much more impress with real hi-rez sound.  I could live with the Oppo BDP-83 and the analog outs the way I have them now as I do use 4 subs (left, right center and rears), even though I presently have a sub on the rears I define them as small.

What I am implicating is that you don't need an HDMI to digital converter.  A real solution is for a processor to have the correct decoder built-in (DTS-HD, Dolby-HD etc)  aa

As for sound of the Oppo.  Here is the internal shot.  Note the powersupply for analog audio :lol:

Pioneer 09FD

Eight Wolfson DACs
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 03:44 am by Levi »

Phil A

« Reply #399 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:24 am »
Do you not understand when you suggested "Why not just use the digital out from the Blu-Ray player? " that you don't get high resolution audio?  Go to page 54 of your (Pioneer) owner's manual for the chart.  In order to get high resolution multi-channel audio you need to use HDMI or analog outputs.  Now I would not dispute or expect the DACs or power supply is better in the 09FD vs. the Oppo BDP-83.  That's one reason many of us want HDMI in our Bryston pre/pros so we can output via HDMI and use the Bryston DACs