SP 3.0?

Levi

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #340 on: 30 May 2009, 04:16 am »
How much do you think you'll get for the SP2?  It would still not make a dent out of $5-FIGURES. :LOL:

ralph1950

« Reply #341 on: 31 May 2009, 10:25 pm »
Well, at 10 grand, I think that will put my customers out of range & will probably look into something around the 5 to 6 grand or so price point.  Bummer!  Most would not need video processing though.  Although, I mostly do the furniture end and installations.  Some of my customers do rely on my experience though.  My friend sells Anthem  pre pro's and moves quiet a few.  I have not had the chance to see his new Anthem 2 yet.

rcjordin

« Reply #342 on: 3 Jun 2009, 06:17 pm »
10K?  Is that with or without video option? Ouch!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #343 on: 3 Jun 2009, 06:39 pm »
10K?  Is that with or without video option? Ouch!

Hopefully - with

james

rcjordin

« Reply #344 on: 3 Jun 2009, 07:41 pm »
 :o thanks.

martyc

« Reply #345 on: 4 Jun 2009, 12:55 am »
wait a minute here ,sp3 was going to be in the 6000 range now its 10,000 range.james must have hit the wrong key when typing.im going to refresh the page now, im sure it will say 6000 like before! 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #346 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:05 am »
wait a minute here ,sp3 was going to be in the 6000 range now its 10,000 range.james must have hit the wrong key when typing.im going to refresh the page now, im sure it will say 6000 like before!

Truthfully it is still really to early to say.  What I can say though is we have decided this will be an all out assult on state of the art sound.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #347 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:35 am »
That sounds good,an ALL OUT ASSAULT.I knew with out the video side,she'd be aound 5.So with the video side also(since she can be added later).
Doesn't sound to bad,splitting her up, and an all out assault and not take any audio prisoners,sounds fine to me.I'll be looking forward to an audition.

Phil A

« Reply #348 on: 4 Jun 2009, 02:07 am »

We would all like it to be as cheap as possible and have as much trade-in value for our SP1s, SP1.7s and SP2s :green:

R&D and design takes time and money to do right.  It's so hard to price items when they are not in the production stage.  When universal players were being released many moon back, a particular high end company told their dealers $4-4.5k about 8 or 9 months before CES.  A couple of mos. before CES it was $8k and then at CES it was announced for $11k.

I'll be happy when it is done, a trade-in value is established (although I think many here may be overly optimistic about values which I would expect to be in the lower end of the range of what used ones go for, removing the pain of selling it versus doing it on your own for a few hundred more (and being able to keep you unit until the new one is ready for shipment and minimal time without a unit will be incurred - not a concern for me as I can use secondary systems for a bit).

I think one needs to look at what one will be getting (and consider the manufacturer too!).  A state-of-the-art analog preamp.  A great home theater processor that probably will take a 192/24 audio stream via HDMI 1.3b.  A decent DAC with even a USB input.  There are always going to be new generations of things whether that is HDMI 1.4, USB 3.0, etc.

Look, I like the latest things.  This is the longest I've gone eligible for a new cell phone w/o getting one.  I've been been waiting 3.5 mos. and probably will wait about another 2 mos. to get what I want (HTC Touch Pro2).  There are other technologies coming like a 4g network.  I've been in he audio hobby a long time and I've been in stores where people keep coming in and listening to things and they come in one day with their mind finally made up and then their jaw drops when they are told the item they want is no longer being made many months.  I've bought and sold so many things over 30 yrs. (since I was 9 :lol:), some of which I would like to have back.  Recently, I waiting for the Oppo BDP-83 for the main system.  Last Sept. I bought a PS3 for the basement system to start getting my feet wet with Blu-Ray.  I then got a good deal on a Samsung 2500 which I used for a short while in the main system with the intention of migrating it to the bedroom system (at some point if I get Netflix, I can stream movies to it  - Sony also has a service for the PS3.

Be patient.  Be happy you'll get a trade-in of some sort.  If you think it is beyond your means or what you want to spend start plan B for the next choice or wait until some more info is available if that is better for you and then go to plan B if necessary.  I can tell you before Bryston went into home theater I was impatient.  I sold a 4BST I had and two power packs I got at a really good deal (actually made a very small amount on the sale but wished I had them back for the bedroom system - using an Adcom 555 for the L&R channel - don't use the bedroom system tons and can live with what I have and always look what is available used, especially local) and went to another high end home theater brand that is no longer around and took more of beating than I really wanted to.  When I auditioned the BCD-1, I decided I wanted the Torus RM20 but not the cash out the door for both.  I waited about 18 mos. until I could get what I wanted. 

Levi

« Reply #349 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:22 am »
Thanks Phil.  That means I have to wait couple of years then.   Probably when my son finished college. 

He is currently on 6th grade.  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #350 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:28 am »
Thanks Phil.  That means I have to wait couple of years then.   Probably when my son finished college. 

He is currently on 6th grade.  :lol:

Let's hope he does very well in school and skips a couple of grades 8)

martyc

« Reply #351 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:44 am »

We would all like it to be as cheap as possible and have as much trade-in value for our SP1s, SP1.7s and SP2s :green:

R&D and design takes time and money to do right.  It's so hard to price items when they are not in the production stage.  When universal players were being released many moon back, a particular high end company told their dealers $4-4.5k about 8 or 9 months before CES.  A couple of mos. before CES it was $8k and then at CES it was announced for $11k.

I'll be happy when it is done, a trade-in value is established (although I think many here may be overly optimistic about values which I would expect to be in the lower end of the range of what used ones go for, removing the pain of selling it versus doing it on your own for a few hundred more (and being able to keep you unit until the new one is ready for shipment and minimal time without a unit will be incurred - not a concern for me as I can use secondary systems for a bit).

I think one needs to look at what one will be getting (and consider the manufacturer too!).  A state-of-the-art analog preamp.  A great home theater processor that probably will take a 192/24 audio stream via HDMI 1.3b.  A decent DAC with even a USB input.  There are always going to be new generations of things whether that is HDMI 1.4, USB 3.0, etc.

Look, I like the latest things.  This is the longest I've gone eligible for a new cell phone w/o getting one.  I've been been waiting 3.5 mos. and probably will wait about another 2 mos. to get what I want (HTC Touch Pro2).  There are other technologies coming like a 4g network.  I've been in he audio hobby a long time and I've been in stores where people keep coming in and listening to things and they come in one day with their mind finally made up and then their jaw drops when they are told the item they want is no longer being made many months.  I've bought and sold so many things over 30 yrs. (since I was 9 :lol:), some of which I would like to have back.  Recently, I waiting for the Oppo BDP-83 for the main system.  Last Sept. I bought a PS3 for the basement system to start getting my feet wet with Blu-Ray.  I then got a good deal on a Samsung 2500 which I used for a short while in the main system with the intention of migrating it to the bedroom system (at some point if I get Netflix, I can stream movies to it  - Sony also has a service for the PS3.

Be patient.  Be happy you'll get a trade-in of some sort.  If you think it is beyond your means or what you want to spend start plan B for the next choice or wait until some more info is available if that is better for you and then go to plan B if necessary.  I can tell you before Bryston went into home theater I was impatient.  I sold a 4BST I had and two power packs I got at a really good deal (actually made a very small amount on the sale but wished I had them back for the bedroom system - using an Adcom 555 for the L&R channel - don't use the bedroom system tons and can live with what I have and always look what is available used, especially local) and went to another high end home theater brand that is no longer around and took more of beating than I really wanted to.  When I auditioned the BCD-1, I decided I wanted the Torus RM20 but not the cash out the door for both.  I waited about 18 mos. until I could get what I wanted.

martyc

« Reply #352 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:00 am »
with all due respect to (phil a),i have a different view. i contacted bryston before i bouhgt my sp2  about my concerns of the upcoming audio formats/hdmi etc. and asked them if i should wait.iwas told to get the sp2 enjoy it and we can upgrade to future formats.well as we know there is no upgrade to sp2. im a big boy i know things happen but... 10, 000 +4700+tax=15729.00 (minus trade in) is a bit more than 5000.00+ around 1500.00 give or take for upgrade ( 6500.00).

drummermitchell

Re: SP 3.0? DO I NEED IT
« Reply #353 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:15 pm »
I'm wondering if there a big advantage going from the dvd player to the 3.0,
to TV or projector.It makes sense to me to go DVD to directly to TV or projector.
As the 3.0 will come in 2 parts(audio/video)do we need the video side.
Perhaps I'm missing something :scratch:..

Levi

« Reply #354 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:20 pm »
If you like automation, then Video switching is for you.  Specially if you have more than one source, universal remote or Crestron system.  Perhaps a wife who likes simplicity of one-touch button.

drummermitchell

« Reply #355 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:33 pm »
Thanks Levi,more to think about.by the way,checked out your gallery(s) :thumb:.

Levi

« Reply #356 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:48 pm »
Yikes, Gallery is working now!  Thanks :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #357 on: 4 Jun 2009, 10:38 pm »
with all due respect to (phil a),i have a different view. i contacted bryston before i bouhgt my sp2  about my concerns of the upcoming audio formats/hdmi etc. and asked them if i should wait.iwas told to get the sp2 enjoy it and we can upgrade to future formats.well as we know there is no upgrade to sp2. im a big boy i know things happen but... 10, 000 +4700+tax=15729.00 (minus trade in) is a bit more than 5000.00+ around 1500.00 give or take for upgrade ( 6500.00).

That has been covered here.  Yes, they did make statements about upgradability.  Many manufacturers have done this and been overly optimistic.  Was I very disappointed - of course I was and I'd bet that most customers feel the same.  As noted the math is not done yet on costs and other factors (e.g. trades).  At this point, I think I'm being realistic about what a company can really offer (vs. what I'd like).  If an SP2 (not sure what the list is) is $6.3k and used ones go for (I have not followed it - just an example) go for $3k (if you sell it yourself on places like Audiogon), I don't realistically expect to get $3k from the company as a trade. 

I am also using my current SP1.7 with the new hi-rez formats movie formats via the multi-channel analog inputs.  The Oppo BDP-83 sounds quite good.  I have a friend who will likely not be able to afford a new pre/pro and will use his SP1.7 with the Oppo BDP-83.  It's also not out of the question that I will not do the same thing if not permanently, then at least for a bit.  My SP1.7 has the original 20 yr. warranty (from the date of manuf.) on analog and digital circuits.  So I am waiting to see what Bryston does.  I can live w/o the more flexible bass management (I use 4 Rel subs already).  I'd like to be able to pass HDMI audio (e.g. from an SACD either as DSD or hi-rez PCM) into something that does digital well, but I have a Marantz DV-9600 and I also could either mod the Oppo or DV9600 or buy a Sony 5400ES CD/SACD unit.  So if Bryston wants my business or the business of other SP1.7, SP2 (or SP1) owners, they need to consider all those factors too.  They also may only offer trades for a limited period of time and that's something I may have to consider in my decision making process.

warren460

« Reply #358 on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:59 am »
with this proposed price point, they should let you notionally trade your older piece in and allow you to  keep it.

CR

« Reply #359 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:21 am »
Let's see, I might be able to sell off my 2 vehicles, one of the dogs and some lawn equipment  :lol: