SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #300 on: 8 Feb 2009, 11:44 am »
Hi Richard,

Correct the 'Audio only' version will'be what was originally version 2 - so multiple HDMI in and 2 HDMI out.
Version 3 stays as is and willoffer video switching and processing.

Not sure on your passthrough for video question but I will ask engineering - I assume the answer is yes that video can be passed through.

james

shaynet

• http://www.imfaudio.com
« Reply #301 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:03 pm »
You mentioned that the digital circuits will not be the same quality as the bcd-1...Where do you think the analog pass-through will fall relative to your stereo pre-amps?  A hi-res music server will definately be part of my future.  However, my living room has to share HT and 2-channel duty.  I would love to optimize both...

gingellr

« Reply #302 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:28 pm »
Hi Richard,

Correct the 'Audio only' version will'be what was originally version 2 - so multiple HDMI in and 2 HDMI out.

Not sure on your passthrough for video question but I will ask engineering - I assume the answer is yes that video can be passed through.

james

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

So is there a particular reason that you have taken away the video switching on the version 2 as that seemed a good compromise video wise. So its a shame it now wont.

Be good to know from engineering how the pass through would work, as if it is as you say and you can, would that mean one of the 8 inputs would be video/audio in which would pass through to the two outputs and the others would therefore be just audio in and a blank video out if you selected them...So therefore if i have multiple sources i would now have to switch them through an external hdmi switch which would then have a single feed to the sp3 and the passthrough output would go to the display?

Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #303 on: 8 Feb 2009, 02:33 pm »
Hi Richard,

james

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

So is there a particular reason that you have taken away the video switching on the version 2 as that seemed a good compromise video wise. So its a shame it now wont.

Be good to know from engineering how the pass through would work, as if it is as you say and you can, would that mean one of the 8 inputs would be video/audio in which would pass through to the two outputs and the others would therefore be just audio in and a blank video out if you selected them...So therefore if i have multiple sources i would now have to switch them through an external hdmi switch which would then have a single feed to the sp3 and the passthrough output would go to the display?

Richard

Hi Richard,

At this point we have not looked in detail at the video side so I think I will hold comment until I have a better idea from engineering what is doable.  Our first priority is the AUDIO quality so video is something we are looking at only as a convenience factor.

james

gingellr

« Reply #304 on: 9 Feb 2009, 03:36 pm »

Hi Richard,

At this point we have not looked in detail at the video side so I think I will hold comment until I have a better idea from engineering what is doable.  Our first priority is the AUDIO quality so video is something we are looking at only as a convenience factor.

james

Hi James,

For me too Audio quality is the most important thing especially 2 channel Music.

My personal opinion (for what its worth) is that before Hi-def HDMI audio, audio sources were separate from the video source so you could easily route the Audio signal separate from the video signal as they were always on two different cables and generally display devices have many video inputs. So a processor did not need to handle video at all.

The problem In my view as I see it now is that because with a HDMI connection the Audio and Video are now together on the same cable so they have to be split by the processor so in my mind if a processor has more than 1 hdmi input it should be able to video switch those inputs as if it does not you would have to put a hdmi splitter on every source component and feed one to the display device and one to the Audio Processor.

I am fairly sure that all other processors/amps offer video switching if they have more than one hdmi input or video pass through if they only have one input for this reason.

My knowledge of hdmi is limited so just really thinking on the practical side so I may be wrong or missed something here. 

I think though  if the Audio only SP3 did not have video switching it would limit its appeal and would be hard to fit into peoples existing setup if they wanted to feed it sound via hdmi.

Your view on this would be appreciated.

Sorry not trying to be awkward just trying to work out how i am going to use the SP3.

Thanks

Richard

brucek

« Reply #305 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:36 pm »
so in my mind if a processor has more than 1 hdmi input it should be able to video switch those inputs as if it does not you would have to put a hdmi splitter on every source component and feed one to the display device and one to the Audio Processor

I think everyone should assume that the lower version of the SP3 will switch the video, and the higher version will switch and process the video (unless Bryston has lost its mind - which I don't think is the case). You can't have 8 in and 2 out without switching.

brucek

gingellr

« Reply #306 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:42 pm »
so in my mind if a processor has more than 1 hdmi input it should be able to video switch those inputs as if it does not you would have to put a hdmi splitter on every source component and feed one to the display device and one to the Audio Processor

I think everyone should assume that the lower version of the SP3 will switch the video, and the higher version will switch and process the video (unless Bryston has lost its mind - which I don't think is the case). You can't have 8 in and 2 out without switching.

brucek

Thats what i assumed Initially, but I was just picking up on what James had said since the CEDIA show.

Richard.

Hi Alex,

Based on the feedback we got at the recent CEDIA show from our dealers I think we are going to offer 2 models instead of 3 of the SP3.

The Audio Version will have 8 HDMI in and 2 OUT and switch Audio only.

The 2nd version will have the same inputs but switch Audio and Video.

james

brucek

« Reply #307 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:22 pm »

And where does Bryston propose we plug the OUT into, without switching the video?

You can see that it's so silly that we must assume it's not correct.

I'm sure it's meant to say: The Audio Version will have 8 HDMI in and 2 OUT and process Audio only. The video would be switched through unprocessed.

brucek

gingellr

« Reply #308 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:31 pm »

And where does Bryston propose we plug the OUT into, without switching the video?

You can see that it's so silly that we must assume it's not correct.

I'm sure it's meant to say: The Audio Version will have 8 HDMI in and 2 OUT and process Audio only.

brucek

Very good point and i am sure you are correct...well i really hope you are.

Richard

gdbalp

« Reply #309 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:12 am »

Hi James,

I begin by saying I am a proud owner of 4 Bryston products and look forward to the SP 3.0.

I have some questions related to the upcoming SP 3.0:

1) Why only 4 coaxial digital inputs?  I own a SP 2.0 and always found 4 digital inputs -coaxial were not enough.

2) Why increase to 4 digital inputs - optical on the SP 3.0?  I believe the coaxial is a higher performer for audio re-production...

3) USB port, I believe it will be 2.0 version?  There is 3.0 version coming, so will this be a consideration?

4) Ethernet connection, will it be able to handle Denon Link and multiple sources tied together?

5) Can the SP 3.0 be able to use front and rear speakers (total of 4) in analog bypass mode without digital processing?  In other words you would have a 4 channel  system with left and right in front and rear...

6) Why optical digital output instead of an coaxial digital output? 

7) Light indicator on the volume knob?  I think this feature would be great to provide a quick visual of the volume level from a distance

8) SP 3.0 video explanation:
Version 1) no video
Version 2) video switching, can you still switch video sources when is off?
Version 3) video switching and processing, convert video signals to 1080 p?

9) With the addition of video section, will the unit run warm and require a fan for cooling?

10) A question on Super Audio specification:
2 channel - 192K/24 bit  YES or No
6 channel - 96k/24 bit    Yes or No

11) On present SP 2.0 unit, the digital input source is limited to 96k/24bit processing - YES or NO?

12) Will the display remain the same as SP 2.0, green?  I hope so, because it matches my other components...

13) Ipod integration - any thoughts on taking the digital signal and processing through SP 3.0 DAC for the best audio re-production?

14) With the new SP 3.0, will Bryston use customers for beta testing?

Regards,
Luigi

Phil A

« Reply #310 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:59 am »
Luigi, welcome to the forum.  Optical inputs are good as some devices like my Samsung HD Tuner only have an optical out.  For Dolby Digital sound, he signal is transmitted in packets much like internet protocol and it is either there or not there.  A different story for PCM transmission though.  My wishlist would be DSD decoding.  I just got a Marantz 6300 for the bedroom (and have a Samsung 2500 Blu-Ray player hooked to it along with an Oppo 980) and the DSD direct is a nice feature.

Phil A

« Reply #311 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:17 am »
Also, USB 3.0 really won't be widely available until next year.  There needs to be operating system software to support it.  It's possible there may be some things that have USB 3.0 but it will not likely be until the second half of the year.  Here are some FAQ:

http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html

LucaV

« Reply #312 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:53 am »
Hi all,
any candidate expected release date?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #313 on: 26 Feb 2009, 03:04 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks

Hi Luca,

We are still a long ways off.

james

werd

« Reply #314 on: 2 Mar 2009, 04:55 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks

Hi Luca,

james

Hi James, lookin at your thumbnail pic with the quads. arent u worried about stuff following off that shelf and landing on your component below?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #315 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:21 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks

Hi Luca,

james

Hi James, lookin at your thumbnail pic with the quads. arent u worried about stuff following off that shelf and landing on your component below?

No the picture does not show that the shelf and wall behind are a ways back so anything falling would land behind the gear.  Plus the Quads won't play loud enough to shake the room.

james

werd

« Reply #316 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:34 pm »
Yah but the pmc's in the other room will :rock:...lol... sorry for the intrusion.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #317 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:46 pm »
Yah but the pmc's in the other room will :rock:...lol... sorry for the intrusion.

Intrusion?

james

werd

« Reply #318 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:59 pm »

Intrusion?

james

Just pointing out stuff in your home, I should mind my own business.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #319 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:01 am »
James, my three lonely Bryston amps are awaiting anxiously the arrival of the SP3.

As noted in my post of 9-20-2008, there are several features required to make the SP3 competitive with products from Anthem, Classé, Cary, Krell, Lexicon, and other high-end manufacturers.

There are some key features I hope you will include in the SP3 (asterisks indicate essentials):

Design
1.   Large, readable front panel display (with user-programmable input names), twice the size as prototype; green color to match other Bryston products; OSD display
2.   Modular construction for upgradability
3.   Backlit remote with differently shaped buttons for different functions (unlike the BCD-1) and with direct: input switching, mute control, volume, and DVD/CD transport, audio format, and subtitle controls
4.   *Firmware upgrades: via USB, Ethernet, or CD/DVD media (perhaps WiFi capable)
5.   Fully  balanced, input to output, esp. when using Bryston amps (with polarity switch for each channel)

Connectivity
1.   *HDMI 1.3c (or later) connections; 6-8 in, two (or more) out
2.   *Dual (or better) subwoofer outputs (for L-R stereo subs and LFE)
3.   *Optical and coaxial digital connectors for each digital input
4.   *12V triggers for Bryston amps (perhaps RS232 for others)
5.   Two stereo balanced XLR in (e.g., for BCD-1 CD player and for CD/SACD from multiformat player)

Processing
1. *Latest HD codecs, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD, the latest iterations of lossy DTS and Dolby codecs, Pro-Logic and other apt codecs (perhaps even HDCD decoding)
2. *Room correction, both auto EQ and advanced manual settings: e.g., Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic Volume and XT Pro Installer (with license included, or license available from Bryston)

Video
1.   For video version: Silicon Optix Realta HQV processor or better
2.   For video version: Dual HDMI outs both active (to two displays simultaneously—for Stanley Cup finals parties)

Manual & Support
1.   A clear and thorough user manual (updated online), with an online update site

I realize that you've discussed some of these features in earlier posts, but it seems like a good time for an update, and I'm sure the forum participants would be eager to hear Bryston's thinking on the SP3 at this time.

Thanks for your attention,

Rich

Beethoven piano sonatas: