SP 3.0?

MOZ

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #280 on: 8 Dec 2008, 09:23 am »
Hi James,

Do you have a more precise view of when the SP3 should be ready, now ?
As for the Trinnov EQ, yes it's a french one and it's a very evoluted one.
It's used by professionnal studios here in France.

I guess it would be a VERY good point for Bryston to consider this one (and also try it before of course).
It would permit them to make a difference with the other competitors who mostly have the Audyssey (Denon, Onkyo aso)...

Just my point !

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #281 on: 8 Dec 2008, 11:51 am »
I continue to enjoy my SP1.7, but I'm ready to trade it in for the SP3.0. I'm patiently waiting for trade in details and the roll out date, Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #282 on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:05 pm »
HI All,

We are going to show the current prototype in Vegas but we are still many months away from a product.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #283 on: 8 Dec 2008, 04:14 pm »
Hi All,

Just a heads up on the SP3.

Sadly there are many issues that still have to be sorted out, licencing issues, MDS digital boards, chip availability etc. So it looks like we are still at least 6 months away from the Audio only version of the SP3.

My apology for the delays but I do not want to hold anyone up if you are considering getting into the new HD audio formats in the near future.

james

Phil A

« Reply #284 on: 9 Dec 2008, 10:45 pm »
Hi All,

Sadly there are many issues that still have to be sorted out, licencing issues, MDS digital boards, chip availability etc. So it looks like we are still at least 6 months away from the Audio only version of the SP3.

My apology for the delays but I do not want to hold anyone up if you are considering getting into the new HD audio formats in the near future.

james

James, is it anticipated the USB input of the unit will be on the rear or the front?  thanks

Levi

« Reply #285 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm »
I think the current Bryston SP2 is better than the $600 Marantz SR-8500 receiver.    :scratch:

Right now, I have to compromise. Since no one makes a pre/pro that lets me setup both 5.1 and 7.1 properly, I still haven't upgraded my Marantz SR-8500 receiver.

Steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #286 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm »
Hi All,

james

James, is it anticipated the USB input of the unit will be on the rear or the front?  thanks

Hi Phil,

The rear.

james

Dardemm

« Reply #287 on: 14 Dec 2008, 05:11 pm »
Hi All,

james

always appreciate the direct honesty when it comes to product planning and timing james.  it's just another trait that sets both Bryston and yourself apart from your competitors. good luck with the SP3.0, and i'll keep watching the site for updates.

david

joey116

« Reply #288 on: 15 Dec 2008, 04:21 pm »
James, has a final decision been made on whether there will be a audio only SP2 to SP3 upgrade possible? as opposed to swapping the units.
Thanks
Paul

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #289 on: 15 Dec 2008, 05:03 pm »
James, has a final decision been made on whether there will be a audio only SP2 to SP3 upgrade possible? as opposed to swapping the units.
Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

No firm desicion yet but it looks like too many changes for an upgrade to previous models will be possible given all the changes.

james

klao

« Reply #290 on: 15 Dec 2008, 08:16 pm »
Hi All,

james

Looks like your competitor who has just shipped their latest pre-pro got lots of bug problems, yet also raised MSRP by another $500! :duh:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #291 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:27 pm »
I was one of the very first to get a SP 1.7 when they came out, serial number 0000000067....It had no bugs, and still serves its duties admirably...So I'd suggest to TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT. I would rather wait for a quality product any day, than a bug ridden quickly produced box...Ok I will shut up now :icon_lol:....Pete

Oyama

« Reply #292 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:04 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP3 Prototype Surround Processor

August 15th, 2008

Please see below pictures of the new Bryston SP3 prototype surround processor that we will be displaying at the CEDIA Show in Denver next month.

Features:
Version 1 - one HDMI ‘IN’ --- one HDMI ‘OUT’
Version 2 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Switching
Version 3 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Processing

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_Front_cropped.jpg

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_back_cropped.jpg

Three rack-spaces, top rack-space reserved for OPTIONAL video board
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232– 2 inputs, Ethernet – 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic – 1 Input, Headphone –1 Stereo Input, 12 volt Triggers (1-In - 3 Out)

Digital Inputs – 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In – 1 Video Out
2- S Video In – 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In – 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In – 2 HDMI Out

Are the photos of the SP3 prototype no longer available?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #293 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:11 am »
Hi,

We are changing the cosmetics based on dealer feedback - it is subtle.  The problem is this has turned out to be much more of a design project than we originally thought and we are still a long way from a working system.

james

Oyama

« Reply #294 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:19 am »
Thanks for the explanation James.

cmreddy

« Reply #295 on: 27 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
Hi James,

any news, tit bits on SP3? It has been a while since last discussed.. thx.

Cm..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #296 on: 27 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm »
Hi James,

any news, tit bits on SP3? It has been a while since last discussed.. thx.

Cm..

Hi CM,

Working on the Analog stages only at this point so we are still along ways off.

james

nicolasb

« Reply #297 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:46 pm »
My apologies if this has already been asked - this thread is getting too long to review every post in it.  :oops:

James, have there been any decisions about headphone support on the SP-3? What would be too cool for words would be if you could license the Smyth Virtual Surround process. Failing that, even the ability to produce Dolby Headphone output would be very welcome. Dolby Headphone is, I believe, part of the standard code library for the Aureus chip, so I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement. Adding a good quality headphone amplification stage would obviously be much more expensive, but it would be nice if you could cater for those of us who use external headphone amps and provide a stereo Dolby Headphone output via RCA. That wouldn't add much (if anything) to the hardware cost.

On another subject, I noticed this comment higher up the thread which went unchallenged:
The TI DA-710 runs at 300MHz. If it's clock is being reduced to 225MHz, as James noted as an option earlier in this thread, the question is, whether there is still enough processing power for complex room EQ operations.

I was under the impression that the SP3 was going to use the same DSP as the SP2, which is the DA-610, not the DA-710. Is that not correct? Assuming it is the 610, I doubt it will be able to do anything requiring much processing power: the chip is about 8 years old, now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #298 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:55 pm »
My apologies if this has already been asked - this thread is getting too long to review every post in it.  :oops:

James, have there been any decisions about headphone support on the SP-3? What would be too cool for words would be if you could license the Smyth Virtual Surround process. Failing that, even the ability to produce Dolby Headphone output would be very welcome. Dolby Headphone is, I believe, part of the standard code library for the Aureus chip, so I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement. Adding a good quality headphone amplification stage would obviously be much more expensive, but it would be nice if you could cater for those of us who use external headphone amps and provide a stereo Dolby Headphone output via RCA.

Hi Nicolasb,

It is something we can certainly look at but at this point we are simply consentrating on getting the Anaolg section worked out.  There are a lot of Class A discrete circuits needed so layout is easier said than done.

We wiill certainly look at the options available to us once we get into the digital side of the SP3.

james

gingellr

« Reply #299 on: 8 Feb 2009, 11:36 am »

Hi Alex,

Based on the feedback we got at the recent CEDIA show from our dealers I think we are going to offer 2 models instead of 3 of the SP3.

The Audio Version will have 8 HDMI in and 2 OUT and switch Audio only.

The 2nd version will have the same inputs but switch Audio and Video.

james

Hi James,

Sorry i am a little confused
Initially you said version 2 would switch video, and version 3 would also do video processing.

So are you saying now that version 1 as it was but now with more hdmi connections version 2 is as above and there is now no version 3 with video processing.

Or are you saying version 1 has the extra hdmi's and there is now no equivalent of version 2 just the version 3 model with video switching and processing?

Also on a version that is audio only even though it wont switch video will it pass through a video signal at all, as if not then if you have a source component with only one hdmi out you would then have to put a splitter in the signal path so you could route the audio to the sp3 and the video to your display device?

Thanks

Richard