SP 3.0?

scratch17

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #240 on: 9 Sep 2008, 10:47 pm »
ted_b stated:

Direct sides and/or rears can blast out or at least drown out those folks significantly off center.  Not a huge deal, but one worth thinking about.

That's where Audyssey XT Pro room correction may help. Since it lets the installer use more than the 6 measuring positions than the basic Audyssey XT , and also allows for saving multiple setups, it would be relatively easy to create a custom setting which drops the side surround levels. You could also save a 'sweet spot perfect' setting.

Steven

bmoura

« Reply #241 on: 10 Sep 2008, 03:50 am »

Based on the feedback we got at the recent CEDIA show from our dealers I think we are going to offer 2 models instead of 3 of the SP3.

The Audio Version will have 8 HDMI in and 2 OUT and switch Audio only.

The 2nd version will have the same inputs but switch Audio and Video.

james

That's a winning approach.  With only 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out, the first SP 3 model didn't sound very appealing at all. 
The other two (audio focused and audio + video) make a lot of sense !

Look forward to hearing more on the SP 3 as your work progresses....

MOZ

« Reply #242 on: 12 Sep 2008, 02:10 pm »
Hi James,

Un-answered questions :

- what about DSD decoding thru HDMI in ?
- i believe you know the ANTHEM D2 upgrade... will you use the new VXP cheap as well (VXP9452) ?
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS82958+14-Apr-2008+BW20080414

MOZ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #243 on: 12 Sep 2008, 02:11 pm »
Hi James,

Un-answered questions :

- i believe you know the ANTHEM D2 upgrade... will you use the new VXP cheap as well (VXP9452) ?

MOZ

Hi Moz,

We have not discussed the option of DSD decoding at this point.

james

scratch17

« Reply #244 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:17 pm »
Hi James:

Here are some more suggestions.

The first one is actually a reply to your HDMI Issues? thread.

Check out the mod available that offers three coaxial digital outputs
(front, rear, center +sub) for DVD-A and SACD on most universal
DVD/DVD-A/SACD players.

http://www.switch-box.com/Home.html

Hopefully, Switch-Box.com will make this mod available
for the upcoming OPPO BD-83 Blu Ray Player.

If you could make the 3 coaxial digital inputs on the SP3 act as a
single 5.1 input (which your engineers might be able to implement
within the SP3's operating system software), there would be no
need to use HDMI with high bit rate codecs (True HD and MA lossless).

The second suggestion involves built in room correction.

If you do add this feature to the SP3, please make it possible to
have three presets. This is a critical omission with most room correction as
implemented in other pre/processors and AVRs. One preset would be for
2.0 or 2.1 audio.One preset would be for 5.1 audio. And one would be for
7.1 audio.

Room correction algorithms must involve all active speakers. Corrections for
room/speaker interaction, speaker non-linearities, etc., must be determined
as a system. But since two channel music doesn't use surrounds or a center
speaker, doing room correction for stereo must not involve those inactive speakers.

Also, if Bryston does implement a 5.1 + 7.1 capable setup, there should be
room correction presets for each set of speakers.

The third suggestion involves radio. Please check with Sirius/XM. They will
soon have a single home receiver that will be able to support both systems.
I'd really like to see the SP3 with a port for that receiver. The port will
connect the receiver digitally. Without the port, to use the receiver, an SP3
owner would have to connect the receiver via analog outputs. Considering
the poor D/A conversion in the receiver, that would be a really bad solution.

I'd also like to see an optional radio module available that would have
standard AM/FM and HD radio capability.

The fourth suggestion involves the HDMI outputs.

I really wish that Bryston could make each output simultaneously
active, with independent input selection for each output.

The second output would be totally passive, require absolutely no processing
within the SP3. It would simply pass the audio and video feed present at its selected
input. Further, it would require the input to be from one of the SP3's HDMI
inputs. This would relieve the SP3 from any requirement for A/D conversion and/or
scaling from analog sources (either audio or video).

The second output could go directly to a second HDTV, another pre/pro or an AVR
in a second room. With an RF capable remote control, this would save SP3 owners
the cost of duplicating source components to outfit two rooms.

Steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:38 pm »
Thanks Steven,

I will pass this along to engineering.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #246 on: 20 Sep 2008, 03:33 pm »
Thanks to your expert advice during the prepurchase process, James, I have three lonely Bryston SST(C) amps for my 7.2 HT system: a 6B and two 4B units. They are awaiting anxiously the arrival of the SP3.

I’m sure that Bryston has considered that, at the projected price points you’ve presented in this forum, you’re competing with well regarded products, such as the Anthem D2 (soon to have HDMI 1.3c) @US$8K, the Denon AVP-A1HDCI @US$7.5K, and others from Classé, Cary, Krell, Lexicon, and other high-end manufacturers.

There are some key features that several of these products offer that merit consideration for the SP3 (I’ve placed an asterisk by the items that are, for me, deal breakers):

1.   *HDMI 1.3c (or later) connections; 6-8 in, two (or more) out
2.   *Latest HD codecs, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD, the latest iterations of lossy DTS and Dolby codecs, Pro-Logic and other apt codecs (perhaps even HDCD decoding)
3.   *Room correction, both auto EQ and advanced manual settings: e.g., Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic Volume and XT Pro Installer (ideally, with license included; sub-ideally, with license available through Bryston)
4.   *Dual (or better) subwoofer outputs (for stereo subs and LFE)
5.   *Firmware upgrades via USB, Ethernet, or CD/DVD media (perhaps WiFi capable)
6.   *Optical and coaxial digital connectors for each input
7.   *12V triggers for Bryston amps (perhaps RS232 for others)
8.   Modular construction for upgradability
9.   Large, readable front panel display (with user-programmable input names); green color to match other Bryston products; OSD display
10.   A highly usable (e.g., Tufte-inspired) backlit remote with direct: input switching, mute control, volume, and DVD/CD transport, audio format, and subtitle controls (these are often relegated to submenus)
11.   Two stereo balanced in (e.g., for BCD-1 CD player and for CD/SACD from multiformat player)
12.   Fully  balanced, input to output, esp. when using Bryston amps (with polarity switch for each channel)
13.   For video version: Silicon Optix Realta HQV processor or better
14.   For video version: Dual HDMI outs both active (to two displays simultaneously—for Cup finals parties)
15.   A clear and thorough user manual, with an online update site.

It makes sense to have two versions of the product (with the audio-only version being upgradable to video). Perhaps like many people on this forum, the audio side is key to my interests; my Pioneer Elite plasma TV is good enough for me as far as video scaling and the other mysteries of HDTV. Also, perhaps like many here, features such as a lo-fi iPod dock, net radio, and multiple zones, are of little interest.

Thanks for your attention,

Rich

Krobar

« Reply #247 on: 27 Sep 2008, 04:42 pm »

James,

Bryston will offer at least two instead of three versions of the sp3. correct?

alex.

Hi Alex,

Based on the feedback we got at the recent CEDIA show from our dealers I think we are going to offer 2 models instead of 3 of the SP3.

james

Hi James,

Do you mean the audio version will have 8 HDMI ins, 2 HDMI outs and no other video connectors at all (This is exactly what I want :) ). The inputs and outputs from CEDIA all look good except I would like Ilink/Firewire. I think modular radio setup or none at all would be best (Especially since international markets can have very differnet radio requirements).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #248 on: 27 Sep 2008, 04:58 pm »

James,

Bryston will offer at least two instead of three versions of the sp3. correct?

alex.

Hi Alex,

james

Hi James,

Do you mean the audio version will have 8 HDMI ins, 2 HDMI outs and no other video connectors at all (This is exactly what I want :) ). The inputs and outputs from CEDIA all look good except I would like Ilink/Firewire. I think modular radio setup or none at all would be best (Especially since international markets can have very differnet radio requirements).

Hi Krobar,

Correct 8 HDMI 'audio in. and 2 out no video. We are not planing on any firewire inputs. No radio setup.

james

Krobar

« Reply #249 on: 28 Sep 2008, 10:21 am »
Hi James,

Thanks for clarifying.

Another vote for DSD over HDMI here (Especially since ILink is not included - ILink implementations all had native DSD support). Are the DACs DSD capable?

Another thing that would be worth considering is HDMI CEC flow rate control. Essentially this is an open standard method to reduce jitter, Sony call it HATS, Pioneer call it PQLS but they all use the same optional part of the CEC subspec. Whilst it only applies to sources without video I think that will apply to a large part of Bryston's audience.

Oh and whilst we are on the subject of audio connectivity; how about AC3-RF  :icon_surprised: (I still use this)

Hi James,

Un-answered questions :

MOZ

Hi Moz,

We have not discussed the option of DSD decoding at this point.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #250 on: 28 Sep 2008, 10:59 am »
HI Krobar,

Yes we are looking at HDMI jitter issues - thanks for the feedback.

james

Soldeed

« Reply #251 on: 29 Sep 2008, 01:36 pm »

The fourth suggestion involves the HDMI outputs.

I really wish that Bryston could make each output simultaneously
active, with independent input selection for each output.

The second output would be totally passive, require absolutely no processing
within the SP3. It would simply pass the audio and video feed present at its selected
input. Further, it would require the input to be from one of the SP3's HDMI
inputs. This would relieve the SP3 from any requirement for A/D conversion and/or
scaling from analog sources (either audio or video).

The second output could go directly to a second HDTV, another pre/pro or an AVR
in a second room. With an RF capable remote control, this would save SP3 owners
the cost of duplicating source components to outfit two rooms.

Steven

I take it that the above is basically "Zone 2 Outputs".  With that in mind I really hope
the SP 3 will address the issue.  Since I own an older Lexicon the Zone 2 capabilities
are a deal breaker for me.

Regards

Krobar

« Reply #252 on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:02 pm »
I was just looking at the mockup pictures for the SP3.

Will the audio only version share the same chassis?
I assume the analogue video connections will not be present on the Audio only / switcher version?
Any chance you could add a few more triggers? (The mockup looks a tad skimpy in this area)
Zone 2 Balanced Stereo Output?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #253 on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:51 pm »
I was just looking at the mockup pictures for the SP3.

Will the audio only version share the same chassis?
I assume the analogue video connections will not be present on the Audio only / switcher version?
Any chance you could add a few more triggers? (The mockup looks a tad skimpy in this area)
Zone 2 Balanced Stereo Output?

Hi,

Correct the video connects will not be on the Audio Only version and we are using the same chassis.

Our amplifiers have triggers 'in and out' on the rear panel so you do not need a lot of triggers on the back of the SP3 as you can simply 'daisy-chain' from one amp to the next.

james

Krobar

« Reply #254 on: 1 Oct 2008, 07:18 pm »
Its input assignable triggers I'm interested in. :) My current setup uses 2 input assigned triggers as well as a trigger for Zone A and a trigger for Zone B. Is there going to be Zone 2 or even better zone 2 and 3 support?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #255 on: 1 Oct 2008, 07:24 pm »
Its input assignable triggers I'm interested in. :) My current setup uses 2 input assigned triggers as well as a trigger for Zone A and a trigger for Zone B. Is there going to be Zone 2 or even better zone 2 and 3 support?

Not sure on that one - will see what engineering has to say.

I guess one of the things I should probably make clear to everyone though is that our approach to the SP3 is one of Audio Quality - first and foremost. So there may be additional features that people would like to see which we will not address in our product. I realize that given this straight forward design concept we may loose some customers.

james

Krobar

« Reply #256 on: 1 Oct 2008, 07:44 pm »
Ok, thanks for asking.

Back to an earlier question asked by myself and others..... Assuming Bryston use the CS4398 DACs in the SP3 then these DACs do have DSD support (But of course the design has to "wire these in"):
http://pdf.chinaicmart.com/CS4/CS4398.pdf

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 1 Oct 2008, 07:53 pm »
Ok, thanks for asking.

Back to an earlier question asked by myself and others..... Assuming Bryston use the CS4398 DACs in the SP3 then these DACs do have DSD support (But of course the design has to "wire these in"):
http://pdf.chinaicmart.com/CS4/CS4398.pdf

Hi,

Yes we will be looking at DSD support to see what we can do.

james

mv038856

« Reply #258 on: 4 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_back_cropped.jpg

Three rack-spaces, top rack-space reserved for OPTIONAL video board
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232– 2 inputs, Ethernet – 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic – 1 Input, Headphone –1 Stereo Input, 12 volt Triggers (1-In - 3 Out)

Digital Inputs – 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In – 1 Video Out
2- S Video In – 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In – 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In – 2 HDMI Out

Hi James,

First question: Will the S/P-DIF Digital out of the SP-3 give out the Dolby Digital or DTS core that is embedded in the Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio HD streams when a Dolby TrueHD or a DTS Master Audio stream is fed to the HDMI inputs of the SP-3? If yes, will it be in sync with the decoded HD from the analog outs?

Background of my question:
The (Canada made) D-Box motion simulation system currently depends on the standard Dolby Digital or DTS stream (even on a Blu-Ray) to synchronize the motion with the movie. Some Blu-Ray Players - like my DVD-3800BDCI - supply HD-Sound through HDMI and standard DD or DTS through S/P-DIF in parallel, so it is technically feasible.

My current HD-Codec-capable Pre/Pro from Onkyo has a considerable delay in its audio/video processing, which means that I run into sync problems between the decoded (HD-)sound and the video (which are in sync) on one hand and the digital S/P-DIF from the Blu-Ray player on the other hand.

Therefore the second question: Will the SP-3 have any (fixed) delay in its processing of audio/video? The Onkyo unit even has a delay if an analog source is selected. The delay is easily recognized when a FM program is heard through the Onkyo Pre/Pro and a standard analog amplifier chain in parallel.

And a third question: Will the trade-in-program for the SP-2 to SP-3 be limited to Canadian and US customers or will it be applicable globally?

Thanks!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #259 on: 4 Oct 2008, 12:15 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_back_cropped.jpg

Three rack-spaces, top rack-space reserved for OPTIONAL video board
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232– 2 inputs, Ethernet – 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic – 1 Input, Headphone –1 Stereo Input, 12 volt Triggers (1-In - 3 Out)

Digital Inputs – 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In – 1 Video Out
2- S Video In – 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In – 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In – 2 HDMI Out

Hi James,

First question: Will the S/P-DIF Digital out of the SP-3 give out the Dolby Digital or DTS core that is embedded in the Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio HD streams when a Dolby TrueHD or a DTS Master Audio stream is fed to the HDMI inputs of the SP-3? If yes, will it be in sync with the decoded HD from the analog outs?

Background of my question:
The (Canada made) D-Box motion simulation system currently depends on the standard Dolby Digital or DTS stream (even on a Blu-Ray) to synchronize the motion with the movie. Some Blu-Ray Players - like my DVD-3800BDCI - supply HD-Sound through HDMI and standard DD or DTS through S/P-DIF in parallel, so it is technically feasible.

My current HD-Codec-capable Pre/Pro from Onkyo has a considerable delay in its audio/video processing, which means that I run into sync problems between the decoded (HD-)sound and the video (which are in sync) on one hand and the digital S/P-DIF from the Blu-Ray player on the other hand.

Therefore the second question: Will the SP-3 have any (fixed) delay in its processing of audio/video? The Onkyo unit even has a delay if an analog source is selected. The delay is easily recognized when a FM program is heard through the Onkyo Pre/Pro and a standard analog amplifier chain in parallel.

And a third question: Will the trade-in-program for the SP-2 to SP-3 be limited to Canadian and US customers or will it be applicable globally?

Thanks!

Markus

Hi Markus,

Gee I do not have answers at this point regarding your questions. They are certainly options we will be looking at but currently we are concentrating on getting the ANALOG 'in an out circuit's' optimized in the SP3 and then we will install the Digital circuit boards and see what features and performance we can ring from the new Digital HD formats.

As I have said earlier we are really focused on optimizing the AUDIO performance of the SP3 (both analog and digital) so there may be features and options we can not implement initially but will look at as we move along.  The plan is to try and get the 'AUDIO' only version of the SP3 out first - then follow up with the 'Audio/Video' version and then look at  the options and features we can add as we move forward.

Any trade-in program will be world wide.

james