SP 3.0?

ashmanuk

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #180 on: 17 Aug 2008, 08:48 pm »
Hi all,
Bryston brings me to this web site, I am from the UK and have got two 2b which are 18 years old now and i had them from new :D also i have got 4bst and now my beloved 4bsst, Please do not take me for bragging i just want to show all how much i love the Bryston way.

Anyway my Question is about Bass management, What increments will you use for speakers 1cm? or more, will you use any form of room EQ, I know it can or will limit Dynamic range but could be a blessing in a lot of our smaller rooms in the UK.
Crossover points will it be 10,20,30 etc or 10,15,20 so on.

I so crave a Bryston Processor and nearly did 1 year ago but the fast approaching 1.3 HDMI put me off, but now speak of SP.3 "oh boy"

What DSP Engine will you use and what DACs "sorry for so many Questions.

James Tanner your a very lucky man :wink:

Gary Listen

• Listen Law Office
« Reply #181 on: 17 Aug 2008, 09:12 pm »
James,

I don't see an analog balance control.  Will there be a way to adjust balance when using the 2-channel analog bypass?

Gary

Hi Gary,

We will probably do the stereo balance in software so you can just use the remote control.

james

James,

Use of the word "software" with "analog bypass" confuses me. Are you saying the SP-3 will run the signal through some sort of digital processing (software) for stereo balance in 2-channel bypass mode?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #182 on: 17 Aug 2008, 09:31 pm »
James,

I don't see an analog balance control.  Will there be a way to adjust balance when using the 2-channel analog bypass?

Gary

We will probably do the stereo balance in software so you can just use the remote control.

james

James,

Use of the word "software" with "analog bypass" confuses me. Are you saying the SP-3 will run the signal through some sort of digital processing (software) for stereo balance in 2-channel bypass mode?

Hi Gary,

As I understand it we are gonig to control the internal analog balance control with software rather than a physical knob.

james

Tony1

« Reply #183 on: 18 Aug 2008, 01:02 am »
James

What does the video processing do for option 3?

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #184 on: 18 Aug 2008, 11:11 am »
James

What does the video processing do for option 3?

Tony

Hi Tony,

We are still looking at video boards but at this point option 3 would do 'video conversion' from any input to any output and allow for video switching with audio.

Version 2 would just be a switcher with no video board installed.

james

brucek

« Reply #185 on: 18 Aug 2008, 11:41 am »
As I understand it we are gonig to control the internal analog balance control with software rather than a physical knob.

How is that possible while maintaining a strict analog only path? Even the volume control is a motorized analog control.

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:01 pm »

How is that possible while maintaining a strict analog only path? Even the volume control is a motorized analog control.

brucek

Hi Brucek,

As I understand it the same design the we use in the B100. A micro processor controls an analog step attenuator. I will try and get a more technical description for you from engineering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #187 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:34 pm »

brucek

Hi Brucek,

As I understand it the same design the we use in the B100. A micro processor controls an analog step attenuator. I will try and get a more technical description for you from engineering.

james

Hi Brucek:

The SP3 does not have any DSP’s in the circuit path in the analog bypass mode. The new SP3 maintains the superiority of discrete analog class A circuits while taking advantage of  ‘software control’ in our new digitally controlled volume.

The digitally controlled volume utilizes a resistance network on a chip. This technology, in reference to the signal path, is still implemented in the analog mode. It offers many advantages, for instance perfect channel balance, a simple integrated balance adjustment without additional parts, practically zero adjustment noises, first class behavior in reference to noise and distortion, as well as adjustment via software.

james

brucek

« Reply #188 on: 18 Aug 2008, 07:17 pm »
Interesting... thanks james..

brucek

MOZ

« Reply #189 on: 18 Aug 2008, 07:58 pm »
Hi Tony,

We are still looking at video boards but at this point option 3 would do 'video conversion' from any input to any output and allow for video switching with audio.

james

Hi James,

Got a lot of questions from french customers concerning the scaling part !
Do you have any idea what kind of level will you meet on video processing ?
HQV reon, HQV realta, Gennum VXP or something else or just "basic upscaling" ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #190 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:50 pm »
Hi Tony,

james

Hi James,

Got a lot of questions from french customers concerning the scaling part !
Do you have any idea what kind of level will you meet on video processing ?
HQV reon, HQV realta, Gennum VXP or something else or just "basic upscaling" ?

Hi MOZ

Right now we are looking at the Gennum.

james

MOZ

« Reply #191 on: 19 Aug 2008, 10:23 pm »
Nice !

I just hope you'll get it to work the way it should...
JVC is not using it at it's max potential on the HD1/HD100 but Anthem does it much better or Marantz on their VP series.
You should look at the way it works on a JVC HD100, then on an Anthem D2... and get the best of both worlds :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #192 on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well we have looked at this upgrade vs. trade-in policy on the Bryston SP3 surround processor and we are leaning towards a trade-in policy for owners of the SP1.7’s and SP2’s.

There are simply too many technical changes in our industry to try and implement them into the older designs.

I have no idea yet what the new retail price will be on the 3 versions of the new SP3 and we are still about 6 –8 months away from a finished product but I will keep everyone updated as we move forward.

As usual I am open to any suggestions.

James.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #193 on: 21 Aug 2008, 04:46 pm »

just a thought:

anyone who is really interested in the new sp3 will love Bryston for the trade in.

al.

onthefly

« Reply #194 on: 21 Aug 2008, 05:15 pm »
Actually I think James is giving himself one huge nightmare, and this from a prospective buyer with a trade in. :duh:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #195 on: 21 Aug 2008, 07:52 pm »

agreed. it must be like to have the choice between pest or cholera...

nicolasb

« Reply #196 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:08 pm »
James,

Any word yet on whether the SP3 will allow the reclocking of incoming audio signals to remove jitter (perhaps in the same way as a BP26DA does)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #197 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:31 pm »
James,

Any word yet on whether the SP3 will allow the reclocking of incoming audio signals to remove jitter (perhaps in the same way as a BP26DA does)?

Not sure on that one - will ask engineering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:32 pm »
James,

Not sure on that one - will ask engineering.

james

Hi nicolasb,

Engineering tells me yes the new SP3 will resample the input.

james

nicolasb

« Reply #199 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:09 am »
Engineering tells me yes the new SP3 will resample the input.

Sweet!  :D