SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #140 on: 2 Jul 2008, 11:34 am »
Good news - we recieved the HD circuit chips yesterday and we are going to put the first SP3 prototype together and I will give it a listen and report back.

james

MOZ

« Reply #141 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm »
Good news - we recieved the HD circuit chips yesterday and we are going to put the first SP3 prototype together and I will give it a listen and report back.

james

God,

I wish my name could be James Tanner !!!! :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #142 on: 2 Jul 2008, 02:27 pm »

Hi Nicolasb,

I will try to get a more technical answer for you on the differences.
If I'm too dumb to understand your last answer, what makes you think I'll understand a "more technical" one? :bomb:

j/k  8)

I think I am having trouble myself understanding it so I figured a more technical explaination at my end from the designer might bear fruit?

james

Hi,

OK here is the explanation:

Version 1. ---1 HDMI Input - 1 HDMI Output, Video Pass-Through, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing.
Version 2. ---8 HDMI Inputs - 2 HDMI Outputs, Video Switching Only, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing.
Version 3. ---8 HDMI Inputs - 2 HDMI Outputs, Full Video Processing and Scaling, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing

james
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2008, 04:08 pm by James Tanner »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #143 on: 3 Jul 2008, 03:12 am »

all of them will have usb? :o

Levi

« Reply #144 on: 3 Jul 2008, 04:52 am »
God,

I wish my name could be James Tanner !!!! :green:

You can have your name changed to James Tanner when you get married.   :D

Humor me, I just can't help it. :lol:

This sounds good James! :thumb:

Keep us informed.

nicolasb

« Reply #145 on: 5 Jul 2008, 12:35 pm »

Version 1. ---1 HDMI Input - 1 HDMI Output, Video Pass-Through, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing.
Version 2. ---8 HDMI Inputs - 2 HDMI Outputs, Video Switching Only, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing.
Version 3. ---8 HDMI Inputs - 2 HDMI Outputs, Full Video Processing and Scaling, Full HI-DEF Audio Processing

Ah, okay, that makes more sense: the version 1 won't be switching because it only has a single input!

That could be a bit limiting, though.  :?

What chip are you going to use for the video processing?

And any idea what sort of price differential there will be between models? (I'm guessing quite a lot).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #146 on: 5 Jul 2008, 12:44 pm »

Ah, okay, that makes more sense: the version 1 won't be switching because it only has a single input!

And any idea what sort of price differential there will be between models? (I'm guessing quite a lot).

Hi Nicolasb,

Not at all sure on the pricing yet and I agree we may forgo version 1.

I will check on the video processor for you.  Our plan is to release the Audio version with Video switching first and then add the option of video processing as we go along.

james

jethro

« Reply #147 on: 6 Jul 2008, 01:56 pm »
It looks like a TV with an HDMI input will be required to use an SP-3.
Is there any way around this ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #148 on: 6 Jul 2008, 02:41 pm »

Hi Jethro,

Not sure I understand? The SP3 version 2 without 'video processing' would work exactly as the SP2 with the SPV-1 works now.

james

Phil A

« Reply #149 on: 6 Jul 2008, 03:43 pm »

In my system now I have a small secondary TV for DVD-A menus and to monitor something like the DVD-R if I don't want to waste projector bulb life.  I've had a variety of small TVs about 7 ft. from the listening chair in there from a small 5.5 inch B&W to a cheap 13 inch color TV to a 19 inch flatscreen with lots of inputs.  All you really need is a video switch with an RS 232 input and a switch that includes appropriate outputs.  Also, I'm fine with the small LCD on the SP1.7 to do the initial set-up.  Yes it is difficult to read from the listening chair, and if I really want to get lazy (which I usually don't do) I have an old broken camcorder (the camera still works) behind the 19 inch LCD focused on the display of the SP1.7 and hooked to one of the inputs of the LCD TV.  Yes, I know it wasn't necessary :)  -  but, I got the TV for next to nothing with Philips VISA points, it works well to navigate thru DVD-A menus w/o turning on the projector and the other choice was throwing the camcorder out.  I just got a 1080p projector in the main system (BenQ W5000) and ran an HDMI cable.  For now I bought the Oppo switch and at the moment I just have my Marantz DV9600 and HDTV Tuner going thru it.  It (the Oppo switch) has another input which I'll likely use at some point for a Blu-Ray player.  It does have an RS232 input, but of course the Oppo switch also just has HDMI.  If I really wanted to for the few times I'd play with the set up, I could always run an HDMI cable to the small LCD TV and then take it out.  For me personally, video switching is likely a waste in the main system.  I always run inputs from video equipment to the TV.  If I end up with a Blu-Ray player in the main system, the main system backs to the bedroom system and when I get a new rec'r I may opt to run a cable thru the wall and put it into the bedroom rec'r for HDMI audio and video.  But that's not something I'd use often or would be a big priority.

jethro

« Reply #150 on: 7 Jul 2008, 02:36 am »

Hi Jethro,

Not sure I understand? The SP3 version 2 without 'video processing' would work exactly as the SP2 with the SPV-1 works now.

james

Sorry I should have given more details. My current TV only has component, s-video, etc inputs - no HDMI.
My concern was that I would have to use an HDMI output on a DVD-player to get some of the higher quality
audio into an SP-3 as opposed to using coax SPDIF (please correct me if I'm wrong). My current standard DVD-player
will not output on HDMI and component at the same time. I assume that the new higher definition DVD players
also have this limitation. This would leave me without a compatible video feed to my non-HDMI TV if I want to use the
DVD's HDMI output. I guess this leaves me with buying a new TV unless there are HDMI to component video converters
available-which I doubt or unless some of the newer audio formats can also be carried via SPDIF ?

Phil A

« Reply #151 on: 7 Jul 2008, 03:03 am »
If you're talking about the higher quality audio from the new formats, you can also get a Blu-Ray player with multi-channel analog outs.  You'll of course be limited to the bass management in the player.  Std. def. DVD audio (e.g. Dolby Digital, DTS) is not going to be improved whether you use an HDMI connection or some other digital connection.  Dolby Digital is delivered in packets much like internet protocol and pretty much it is there or it is not.  So whether you use HDMI, toslink or coax you're outputting the same signal into the Bryston pre/pro.  So if you're using your current std. def. DVD player, component for video and toslink or coax for digital.  If your display doesn't have HDMI, what's the point of using HDMI for audio from your current DVD player?

jethro

« Reply #152 on: 7 Jul 2008, 06:17 pm »
The way I see it, If you currently have an SP-1.7/2 setup with a non-HMDI TV, then to justify the purchase or upgrade of the SP-3.0
then you also have to buy an-HDMI TV and hi-def DVD player.

I'm not complaining it's just the direction of the industry.

Are there any other advantages to buying the SP-3 if you don't use HDMI ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #153 on: 7 Jul 2008, 06:36 pm »
The way I see it, If you currently have an SP-1.7/2 setup with a non-HMDI TV, then to justify the purchase or upgrade of the SP-3.0
then you also have to buy an-HDMI TV and hi-def DVD player.

I'm not complaining it's just the direction of the industry.

Are there any other advantages to buying the SP-3 if you don't use HDMI ?

Hi jethro,

I will give that some thought.  At home right now I am using an SP2/SPV-1 and the new Panasonic BlueRay player on the Component out to my Projector - which gives me 1080I on the BlueRay movies. And normal DD and DTS on the audio side.

james

jethro

« Reply #154 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:41 am »

Hi jethro,

I will give that some thought.  At home right now I am using an SP2/SPV-1 and the new Panasonic BlueRay player on the Component out to my Projector - which gives me 1080I on the BlueRay movies. And normal DD and DTS on the audio side.

james

James,

That's the problem - you guys did too good a job on the SP-1.7 !  :D

bmoura

« Reply #155 on: 27 Jul 2008, 08:31 am »

Hi Nicolasb,

Not at all sure on the pricing yet and I agree we may forgo version 1.

I will check on the video processor for you.  Our plan is to release the Audio version with Video switching first and then add the option of video processing as we go along.

james

Agreed.  Versions 2 and 3 of the SP 3.0 are more interesting.

And the rough pricing is very exciting!  $6k for HDMI and the HD flavors of DTS and Dolby, plus 7.1 analog bypass and balanced out, etc.  Very cool !
Also like the option of a USB port for potential software upgrades of the unit.

Anxious to hear more as the SP 3.0 development cycle continues....

splittailz

« Reply #156 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:29 am »
hello James. are the HDMI inputs in the new SP3.0 going to be HDMI 1.3 for video along with the uncompressed audio soundtrack, or just video?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:33 am »
hello James. are the HDMI inputs in the new SP3.0 going to be HDMI 1.3 for video along with the uncompressed audio soundtrack, or just video?

HI,

Audio and Video.
I should have a prototype for the CEDIA show in September and I can give you more info then.

james

splittailz

« Reply #158 on: 30 Jul 2008, 10:51 am »
prototype sounds good. look forward to the info then

MOZ

« Reply #159 on: 14 Aug 2008, 01:25 pm »
Hi James...

So did you tried the prototype ?
How does it sound ?