SP 3.0?

spotlightaudio

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1980 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:46 pm »
Thanks Steve, very helpful!

Boldlygo

« Reply #1981 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:45 pm »
You cannot do that with the current, official firmware.  However, the release notes for the beta firmware says it allows you to do that.  I have not yet tried it.

Speaking of firmware - I just downloaded 2013.08b. Where do I find the release notes on it?

kosh2258

« Reply #1982 on: 16 Aug 2013, 01:24 pm »
Use the "Up to higher level directory" link to go up one level.  You'll find a folder labeled 2013.08b.  The release notes are in that folder. 

kosh2258

« Reply #1983 on: 16 Aug 2013, 01:44 pm »
With firmware release 2012.11 the PCM ZR setting got renamed to FMT DETECT and the setting options reduced to 3 choices:  AUTO, GAPLESS or DISABLE according to the release notes for the update. 

spotlightaudio

« Reply #1984 on: 24 Aug 2013, 02:41 pm »
Hi guys,

Where do we find speaker level setup info .  :scratch:

nemir

« Reply #1985 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm »
I've read through the manual and I can't find the recommendation for the ventialation space for this unit.  Is it the same as the amps, 3.5"?

Am I missing where it is in the manual?

TIA

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1986 on: 29 Aug 2013, 12:04 am »
I've read through the manual and I can't find the recommendation for the ventialation space for this unit.  Is it the same as the amps, 3.5"?

Am I missing where it is in the manual?

TIA

Hi TIA

The whole chassis is a heat sink especially the right side so a few inches is all that is needed.

James

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1987 on: 29 Aug 2013, 01:48 am »
Hi guys,

Where do we find speaker level setup info .  :scratch:

Congratulations on your SP3, Spotlight:

Alas, the SP3 manual is not in keeping with the quality of Bryston products, and to my mind this significantly diminishes a new user's experience with the product (and, sadly, tarnishes the Bryston image of quality). The manual does not address this matter as fully or lucidly as one might wish. However, you'll find that the SP3 is an excellent product and will reward the time you spend to set it up effectively.

Here are basic steps for setting levels. Doubtless, the other participants in the forum will have more helpful recommendations. There is a brief allusion to menu settings (bottom right of page 3 of the manual; see also page 12).

I used the following to set up my system:

1. Radio Shack sound level meter. Mine is the discontinued analog meter, catalog number 33-2050. Audio geeks seem to prefer the analog to the newer digital meters.
2. Tape measure: meters or feet
3. If you have an iPhone, the 99 cent speaker angle app by Genelec is worthwhile. It's on the iTunes app store.
4. Laser pointer; I used my laser level.
5. Tripod: I used my camera tripod to hold the Radio Shack meter.

You'll do this setup very infrequently, so if you can borrow any of the gear, that might make sense.

Basically, the steps are these:

1. Measure the distance from each speaker to your listening position and enter them in the SP3 via the right menu navigation button (see item B, pages 4-5 of the manual). Choose Global settings, enter the figures (meters or inches) using the functions & operations buttons (item C pages 4 and 6 of the manual). Save the settings by pressing the left menu navigation button to work back to the main menu screen. Make a note of these measurements, as the SP3 (or any processor) can lose or reset them, for example in a power blip.

2. Use the pink noise generator in the SP3 and measure the level with your sound level meter (mounted to a tripod or otherwise placed at your listening position); you want the same level from all speakers initially. Adjust the speaker levels in the SP3 menu. You'll want a fairly high level, about 55-70 db on the Radio Shack analog meter. I have not found the meter useful for calibrating my subs and use the Velodyne built-in EQ software. Adjust to taste; I increased my surrounds 1.5 db. Make a note of these measurements. You enter these settings for each source by choosing Source Setup from the main menu screen; you can enter speaker size, level, and crossover, among other parameters. Use the buttons noted above to change and save settings, and write them down.

3. If desired, adjust speaker angles with the Genelec app, using the laser pointer to confirm that the "toe-in" angle for each points to your listening position: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speakerangle/id549033688?mt=8. You'll mainly use this for your FL/FR front speakers and RL/RR back speakers.

This should get you a long way to your desired outcome. You'll likely wish to do a bit of tweaking. Again, the other forum participants should have some excellent recommendations.

The SP3 is a superb product, and I hope you enjoy it greatly. Best wishes for many hours of happy listening.

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1988 on: 29 Aug 2013, 02:14 am »
I should clarify, SpotlightAudio, that the level I refer to below is set via the SP3 main volume control and does not refer to the speaker level settings menu.

"You'll want a fairly high level, about 55-70 db on the Radio Shack analog meter."

My Radio Shack analog sound level meter requires a reasonably high volume level to be at its most accurate. You'll find lots of correction tables for this meter on the web; here's a place to start: http://www.avsforum.com/t/505236/spl-meter-correction-tables. This may not be necessary for the digital meters, but AudioCircle forum participants will likely have experience with this matter.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

spotlightaudio

« Reply #1989 on: 31 Aug 2013, 03:24 pm »
Thanks Rich, it gives me a place to start. Just no time yet.

kosh2258

« Reply #1990 on: 16 Nov 2013, 03:38 pm »
If anyone is interested, there is a new firmware update available.  2013.10e

BrystonFan

« Reply #1991 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:53 am »
I have not looked at it - any ideas on what was changed/upgraded/corrected?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1992 on: 17 Nov 2013, 06:19 am »
The release notes below note the changes/updates/corrections, BrystonFan.

Rich

Release Notes:   SP3 Firmware  2013.10e     25-Oct-2013

(test release "beta")

File:  SP3.bin   

Note: updating SP3 firmware may cause re-defaulting of  an existing user setups, or may cause EEPROM error warnings, if some new parameters are not initialized. If this happens, initialize new parameters manually or run DEFAULT EEPROM option in MISCELLANEOUS, then re-Standby the unit and repower.   A correct speaker configuration should be re-entered manually after an upgrade.   If the firmware is older than 2012.05e, it is recommended to upgrade in 2 steps, first to 05e.

Description of Changes (since release 2013.08b):

Added RS232 command EDID

Created project scripts to automate firmware releases.

Adjusted Dolby Vol IRL and MasterVolume scaling for Dd cert.

Removed Dolby Vol IRL and ORL as user parameters

Fixed DRC Line and RF (made LFE not downmix) in Dolby

Renamed 5.1-->7.1 back re-creation modes to conform to Dolby.  Allowed only "PassThru","DdD EX","PL2xMusic" and "PL2xMovie", SM03 mapped to SM05 and SM06 mapped to SM04. Removed "Prologic" surround mode from the front panel, on Dolby recommendation.                                                     2013.08c

Fixed incorrect 2/2.x instead of 2/2/1.x format display

Fixing lip-sync bug causing loss of decoder lock, auto cleared on source change, change DEL engine units to ms which makes it independent on out samp rate.

Made speaker distance screen live.

Debugged RS232 auto feedback after LMOD changes

Changed PLIIxMusic/Movie display into more Dolby compliant "DdPL2x Mus" and "DdPL2x Cin" on Dolby request.

Made volume dB/% unit selection applying also to 4-th line  idle screen display, in addition to large digit display

Fixed SciAtl cable box issue                                                                                   2013.08d

Fixed lipsync loss of Dolby & DTS detection bug.

Added yellow standby LED blink after Setup web page edit, to indicate a pending 30s flash verify+save+reboot process.

Adding auto feedback following a change between LMOD 2->6 and 6->8

Changed STBY_OSCDIV from NOPLL back to _64 (reversing 533) to prevent loss of RS232 in standby.

Fixed rows 1,2 display in zone and menus, on vol change

Added ZONE reminder in top upper display, in ZONE mode.

Blocked MAIN/MUTE buttons while large volume digits are displayed, to prevent accidental muting.

Made A/D SAMP RATE factory default to 96k and D/A SAMP MAXdefault to 192k for all sources.

Factory default for Ethernet-In-Standby option is set to ON.                                2013.09a

Adjusted Dolby Volume calibration constants, and made LIPSYNC parameter non-volatile.                                                                                     2013.09d

Combined digital input gain, general volume setting, Dolby Volume digital and analog volume parameters.

Adjusted Dolby Volume gain parameters to comply with Dolby.                           2013.09f

Fixed 192k sample rate gain and switching bug in Dolby Volume                         2013.09g

Changed DEFAULT_DLYSCALE from -93 to -97 and fixed factory default HDMIDLY.

Changed Dolby Volume user interface on Dolby request. Modeler must be always ON,

Leveler=HIGH/LOW/OFF option moved to Dolby Vol screen, Calib Offs debugged,
Mid/Side selection removed, extended RS232 command DDVL .                         2013.10b

Note: releases from 2013.10b on, have both DTS and Dolby certifications!

Fixed LMOD forcing passthru, issue.

Prevent blank screen between src switching, made temporary idle screen persist in low brightness during active source select/reselect.

Fixed MDSL and LMOD not auto feedback'ing after source change

Fixed TEST remote command feedback, added TEST autofeedback

Fixed MSRC auto feedback'ing when issued from the web interface

Changed HDMI A-OUT selection

Changed MISC--> ETH RST option to executing by left arrow instead of right arrow.
                                                                                                                                 2013.10c

NOISE TEST - cancelling pending volume inc/dec command when speaker channel change is imminent

Fixed slow recovery of C after Dd 2.0 -->5.1 format change.                                2013.10d

Added SURR RETRY parameter (normally 4) in MISC and in GlobPar.surr_retry. To
prevent persistent retry dropouts on errors, or too frequent DSP A,B unsync errors, set it to 0.

Included new hdmi.hex file (version 39/00001027) in the release package (can be manually programmed through MISC-->UPDATE MENU).

Fixed not returning to idle screen after remote noise test in auto.                                                                                                                                  2013.10e

dminches

« Reply #1993 on: 17 Nov 2013, 04:33 pm »
When I upgrade to the new firmware will I lose most of my settings?

Buseto

« Reply #1994 on: 17 Nov 2013, 10:06 pm »
No, but it's good to check all of them.

It's less work than you probably think, if you have made a note of the settings before, which I always recommend.

kosh2258

« Reply #1995 on: 18 Nov 2013, 10:09 pm »
If any of you dig deep enough to see that there is also an HDMI firmware (version 39 aka 1027) update imbedded in this release, I'd advise you not apply the HDMI piece of it.  I did and the results were not very good.  I knew how to back it out and return to the prior HDMI firmware version so, no harm done.   The release notes for the HDMI firmware do state this version is untested so, I knew I could be in for some unexpected results if I applied it. 

So that nobody panics, the HDMI firmware installation requires a deliberate set of actions on the owners part after the 2013.10e firmware is installed.  It won't be applied simply by applying the 2013.10e firmware.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1996 on: 19 Nov 2013, 11:01 am »
Would you elaborate on the results?

scb

« Reply #1997 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:04 pm »
If any of you dig deep enough to see that there is also an HDMI firmware (version 39 aka 1027) update imbedded in this release, I'd advise you not apply the HDMI piece of it.  I did and the results were not very good.  I knew how to back it out and return to the prior HDMI firmware version so, no harm done.   The release notes for the HDMI firmware do state this version is untested so, I knew I could be in for some unexpected results if I applied it. 

So that nobody panics, the HDMI firmware installation requires a deliberate set of actions on the owners part after the 2013.10e firmware is installed.  It won't be applied simply by applying the 2013.10e firmware.

how do you update the hdmi?

JeffO

« Reply #1998 on: 20 Nov 2013, 07:39 pm »
how do you update the hdmi?

From the Release Notes, "Included new hdmi.hex file (version 39/00001027) in the release package (can be manually programmed through MISC-->UPDATE MENU)." 

techguy

« Reply #1999 on: 21 Nov 2013, 06:39 pm »
I wanted to add a couple of important notes relating to this latest firmware update on SP3 2013 10e.   Thanks to those that noticed the HDMI separate update.   I had missed that in the release notes and had not applied it as a result.   I'm glad now I have not done so.

I've had my SP3 now for over 2 years (one of the early deliveries) and have seen nearly 20 firmware updates since the beginning.   As much as I applaud the SP3 for its superlative sound quality for both music and home theatre I have been severely disappointed in the quality of the firmware for this unit and how many problems it has had since the beginning.      This 10e release is the first one that actually seems to be working well in my system.

A couple of problems I was plagued with for the past 2 years have now been fixed in this version.  I'm menitoning them here as there may be others experiencing similar issues and they are not well described in the release notes.  They are:

1. I'm a Rogers CISCO 8642HD DVR user for TV watching for many years and since I got the SP3 I could not figure out why I could not get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from the HDMI interface when connected one of the Bryston SP3 HDMI ports.   I could only get 2-channel audio even though I know the Rogers CISCO DVR can deliver it.   I was forced to use the Toslink feed to get full surround so I assumed it was one of the many bugs in the Rogers CISCO DVR.   I even posted a question on this in the Rogers online forum and I seemed to be the only one experiencing this problem.   People with typical $ 500 HDMI receivers were not having this problem.   This problem is now fixed with this latest Bryston SP3 firmware release.

2. I have also been using a computer as my media source for everything for CD music, DVD playback and blu-ray playback for a long time now as well and have been using an HDMI interface for blu-ray playback in my case using an NVIDIA video card although I've used others as well.   Again for the last 2 years I was plagued with a problem where if I switched the SP3 to an SPDIF digital source, either Toslink or coax for instance the HDMI audio signal would drop in the process and could not get it back when I switched back to the HDMI audio feed.   This is on a windows-based computer.   I had to either power down the SP3 to get it back or use a program utility I found eventually that forced a reset on the NVIDIA video card HDMI output.   This was a major nuisance to say the least.   Thinking this was just another computer-based HDMI audio driver problem on Windows I submitted a ticket to NVIDIA IN 2012 asking them to fix this bug as it appeared to be.  They acknowledged that sometimes this happens with some audio systems but they didn't feel that it was a problem they should fix but gave me a work-around program to help reset the port whenever this happened.   This problem is now fixed in this latest SP3 firmware as well.

I wasted so much time thinking these 2 issues were caused elsewhere so it never dawned on me that the SP3 firmware may be the cause.    I'm a happy camper that these 2 major nuisances are fixed but am also at the same time very disappointed in the quality of the Bryston firmware.   I'm sitll very pleased with the audio quality I get from the Bryston SP3 but not pleased with the number of problems I've seen on the software side of this unit.