SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1920 on: 19 Mar 2013, 03:25 pm »
Hi James, just following up on this, I had never looked at the rates before on the SP3.

I have a much older Oppo 83SE (still hoping you will build me a replacement Bryston Bluray to replace it eventually   :oops:) anyway, I tried a couple of things, connected up over HDMI if I put a DVD-Audio disc in the SP3 shows 96kHz correctly, so that it is good, I will have to find some 192kHz to try later. So, to my question, I then left the rate display on the SP3 and ran a couple of Blurays, they always report 48kHz regardless of whether it is bitstream or PCM (I have max LPCM set to 192kHz in the oppo) I tried ordinary DVDs, DTS-MA and DD-True HD all the same always 48kHz, does that sound right?

Cheers

I have never seen a Movie above 48 - some music discs I have seen are 96.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1921 on: 19 Mar 2013, 03:48 pm »
I have never seen a Movie above 48 - some music discs I have seen are 96.

james

That is OK then, thank you. I was just worried having seen the above and thought films would be higher than that. I might have a google around and see if there are any films (non music) with higher sample rates.

Cheers

ragg987

« Reply #1922 on: 19 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm »
That is OK then, thank you. I was just worried having seen the above and thought films would be higher than that. I might have a google around and see if there are any films (non music) with higher sample rates.
Here is a good source for such info: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php
Use the audio filter for 96 or 192 - the selection available is tiny.

Alpha10

« Reply #1923 on: 19 Mar 2013, 04:19 pm »
Here is a good source for such info: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php
Use the audio filter for 96 or 192 - the selection available is tiny.

Thanks for that, I had always assumed the 48kHz was just the 'core' DTS/DD not the full HD tracks.

Everyday is a school day  :thumb:

Cheers

Boldlygo

« Reply #1924 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:50 pm »
Thanks for purchasing an Oppo player, James. It's reflective of your and Bryston's commitment to supporting your clients.

I would encourage you to get the BDP-105, as it's positioned at a level commensurate with the interests of Bryston owners, and it has some interesting design features that may be pique your interest as you develop future products.

Best fishes,

Rich

Eschew obfuscation.

I originally bought the 105 but changed to the 103 after I purchased the SP3. It's a waste of money since the video is the same in the 103 and 105, and the SP3 does everything better audio wise than the OPPO 105 could ever hope to achieve. (If I didn't get the SP3 I probably would have kept the 105).

adidino

« Reply #1925 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:25 pm »
Anyone happen to have a picture of an SP3 19inch faceplate version (racked)?

Also, is it possible to purchase an alternate faceplate and change them if/when needed?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1926 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm »
Halloo, gents:

I'm pleased to report that I've ordered an SP3: 17" black, with blue display. I made the mistake of checking out the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and BDA-2 D/A converter, and have ordered those as well: same cosmetics. In the next couple of weeks, I'll pick up an Oppo BDP-105, likely followed in a few months by the Bryston BOT-1 optical transport, now in development. These items should play well with my existing gear, listed in my post #1872.

I want to thank the participants in this forum for your helpful posts, especially skunark, ragg987, m00nhawk, and James, who responded directly to my queries. Everyone's contributions to this forum have been useful and interesting, and I appreciate the generous spirit and positive tone you provide. I want to publicly thank Kal Rubinson, whose consistently insightful and engaging writing delineated astutely the performance, features, and trade-offs inherent in the SP3. I've been a subscriber to Stereophile since the first issues, when it was little larger than a pamphlet, and Kal's column is the first thing I turn to with each new issue.

I'll likely have lots of questions for you and look forward to following and participating in this thread.

Again, many thanks.

RJ
Whiney Napa Valley

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1927 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm »
Your point on the Oppo BDP-103 vis-a-vis 105 is well taken, Boldlygo. I chose the 105 because down the line it will serve well in my office system, and the headphone and DAC capabilities will be quite useful therein. I'd recommended James purchase the 105 because it's an innovative device and might prove stimulating for future Bryston product development.

Cheerio,

RJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1928 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:32 am »
Anyone happen to have a picture of an SP3 19inch faceplate version (racked)?

Also, is it possible to purchase an alternate faceplate and change them if/when needed?

Hi,

Faceplate would be very hard to change.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1929 on: 23 Mar 2013, 06:32 pm »
Gents, I'm interested in your recommendations for a universal remote with the SP3. I just want basic functions, so my wife can control the system easily, such as power on/off, input switching, volume, play/pause/stop. I don't care about controlling lighting, drapes, fish grooming, or other functions. I want something that won't require line of sight, and I don't want to have to stick emitters on the front of the components. I've listed our components in my signature.

I'd like to be able to reprogram the remote as we add new components. I was hoping to control the system through an iPad/iPad Mini. I've looked at the Roomie Remote, but it has no IP or serial code listings for Bryston gear, though it does have IR codes for "Bryston SP Series All Models."

All of our components (sans the TV) have RS232. I know nothing about this method of control and would appreciate any insights you might offer. I'm tabula rasa as regards remotes, so all this is a mystery to me. So as not to take this thread off topic, perhaps you'd prefer to PM me?

Thanks very much,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

onthefly

« Reply #1930 on: 25 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
Harmony 555 works fine for me.

Gents, I'm interested in your recommendations for a universal remote with the SP3. I just want basic functions, so my wife can control the system easily, such as power on/off, input switching, volume, play/pause/stop. I don't care about controlling lighting, drapes, fish grooming, or other functions. I want something that won't require line of sight, and I don't want to have to stick emitters on the front of the components. I've listed our components in my signature.

I'd like to be able to reprogram the remote as we add new components. I was hoping to control the system through an iPad/iPad Mini. I've looked at the Roomie Remote, but it has no IP or serial code listings for Bryston gear, though it does have IR codes for "Bryston SP Series All Models."

All of our components (sans the TV) have RS232. I know nothing about this method of control and would appreciate any insights you might offer. I'm tabula rasa as regards remotes, so all this is a mystery to me. So as not to take this thread off topic, perhaps you'd prefer to PM me?

Thanks very much,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Alpha10

« Reply #1931 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:20 pm »
Harmony 555 works fine for me.

Harmony 895 is good for me, I also use the RF extender into the SP3.

Cheers

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1932 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:58 pm »
Thanks, gents. I appreciate the recommendations.

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1933 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:52 am »
Greetings, SP3 fans:

I'm hoping to avail myself of the wealth of your expertise and experience.

My SP3 should arrive quite soon, and I'd very much appreciate your tips as to setup and configuration. I've reviewed the manual, but it doesn't offer much detail.

I have my tape measure, handy Radio Shack analog sound level meter, and Genelec speaker angle iPhone app at the ready, and I've polished my ears. My equipment is listed below. My listening chair is broken in.

On a 1-100 scale of expertise in this area, I feel like a 0.95, so I'd appreciate all advice, no matter how basic.

Thanks very much, and best fishes,

Rich

Mag

« Reply #1934 on: 31 Mar 2013, 02:43 am »
I'm excited for you, you have good equipment. Anyway one tip I can give you is speaker placement is of paramount importance. Don't feel you have to stick with conventional set ups, adapt according to your room. Like for me I have a 11'x25'x8' room, I tried different configurations over the years and all speakers placed along the long wall works best for this room. The change in speaker placement can be startling.

You also want to minimize localization of speakers. Might not be a problem for you with good gear, but you can use wall reflections to kind of mask speaker location. There should be a seemless soundstage in multi-channel listening from left to right with no obvious holes in the soundfield.

Also try large & small for speaker setup, depending on the amps you might get better mid-range with some speakers set to small. IMO though with your amps you should have no problem with speakers set to large.

What is your room size?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1935 on: 31 Mar 2013, 07:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Mag:

The room measures: L: 190" (15' 10") / 4.8 m  |  W: 147" (12' 3") / 3.7 m  |  H-Front: 138" (11' 6") / 3.5 m  |  H-Rear: 104" (8' 8") / 2.6 m

I've attached a couple of old photos: two views of the room and another of the opposite room, to show the wall height. Notice that the room is open (to the dining room) on the right-hand side. I'll add updated pics when the new gear is in place.

Cheerio,

Rich

Mag

« Reply #1936 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:01 am »
That's a nice cozy looking room you got there. However you are not making optimal use of your S8, you may not be aware of how well these speakers can image.

I know you're not going to want to hear this but I would move the S8's,TV & center channel to the right side of the room and put the TV and center channel on stands. Unless you have another room in mind. :|

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1937 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:42 am »
I appreciate the tip, Mag, but a WAF impossibility. Besides, here's the interior of the wall the speakers and TV are on. Lots of Ultralink in-wall speaker cable (14 gauge for mids/highs, 12 for bass) and a large conduit for TV cables. Also, a dedicated 20-amp circuit.

Cheerio,

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1938 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:47 am »
Oops, forgot to note 14/4  and 12/4 speaker cables. That is four wire bundles per cable, so twice the thickness; hefty amounts of copper, as the run is almost forty feet at its maximum. No chance of moving the locations, I'm afraid.

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1939 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:59 pm »
Halloo, gents. I would very much appreciate your help in resolving problems with multichannel audio settings for my SP3.

Essentially, I cannot get the SP3 to output the incoming audio signal; it wants to apply surround modes such as ProLogic variants. Is there a way to turn these off?

I'm using an Oppo BDP-105, set for multichannel out via HDMI, and have tried auto, PCM, and bitstream for the audio output settings. The 105 is connected to the SP3's HDMI 1 (DVD). The SP3 HDMI button is on, with the blue light indicating signal; Stereo button is off. The SP3 often displays a G at the bottom right of its screen.

1. SACD 5.1 will not output native channels; SP3 displays 5.1 in; out is ProLogic and other surround modes.
2. DVD-A 5.1 will not output native channels; SP3 displays 5.1 in; out is ProLogic and other surround modes.
3. Blu-ray disc with 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby True HD: SP3 displays TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 in; out is ProLogic and other surround modes.
4. Blu-ray disc with 5.1 DTS HDMA: SP3 displays DTS HDMA 5.1 in; out is ProLogic and other surround modes.

I can't find anything in the manual that discusses how to get native resolution from discs, such as decoding and outputting Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD. The surround modes only seem to provide synthesized modes, such as ProLogic variants.

Also, I've connected the Toslink audio output from my Pioneer Elite TV to the SP3's Optical 1 input and have assigned this input to DVR through the SP3's Other Settings menu. I get no signal: the SP3's display reads SRC: DVR  OPT1  NO. My guess is that the NO indicates an error somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Finally, there are frequent pops as a Blu-ray disc loads and proceeds through startup screens and menus. Each menu seems to elicit a pop (perhaps HDMI handshake?)

Thanks, guys. These things are almost always user error/ignorance, but they are nonetheless frustrating, and I am grateful for your expertise and advice.

Cheerio,

RJ