SP 3.0?

So There

• Brystonized
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1880 on: 2 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
Halloo, gents:

Thanks, skunark, ragg987, m00nhawk, and the illustrious Mr. T:

I too have emailed Stan from Bryston on running two subwoofers from the SP3, as my queries are likely slightly different from those already presented to him. When I receive his reply, I'll post it, with the hope that it will be useful to you.

In case my situation may be similar to yours and helpful to you, here's some info on my subs that I believe will let me use the Aux-L and Aux-R outputs, rather than the Sub jacks. Isn't it amazing how rereading the user manual will unearth key information forgotten several years after installing the gear?  :wink:

My Velodyne DD15 subs prefer to use their digital built-in crossovers to accept a full-range signal; they can also use a filtered LFE/Sub output by defeating each sub's internal low-pass crossover. Also, to connect two or more subs, there is a daisy-chain option that presents multiple subs to the processor as one unit, and directs commands, such as volume, through the primary sub.

However, there seem to me to be significant advantages in running the subs separately, through the Aux-L and Aux-R outputs. First, as you've brought up, the distance between each sub and the primary listening spot is different. Also, the subs each have eight-band auto-EQ (with manual parametric tweaking), and this should result in a smoother response than I've been able to achieve with them in their present configuration.

By the way, this seems an apt venue to add to the accolades many of we users have offered James Tanner. Mr. T, you were a key factor in my purchasing three Bryston amps. Your expertise and generous help made my decisions easy. I can't wait to add the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2 to our system.

Game on,

RJ
Napa Valley, CA
(Sharks 7-0)

Alpha10

« Reply #1881 on: 2 Feb 2013, 08:32 am »
Got my SP3 earlier this week and am stunned by the quality of music from AES XLR; however am massively underwhelmed by surround sound and can't help thinking there's something wrong.

I'm playing cd's from a transport at -20dB volume and everything is crystal clear and holographic; play a Blu ray via HDMI and I have to crank it up to -6dB and the sound is still comparatively thin and muddled, almost like some of it is missing; does this ring any bells for anyone ?

The reason I wondered if some of the audio is missing is because I don't have a separate sub as my mains are powered with built-in subs so go down to 15Hz territory; while I've configured those speakers as "large" and sub is "none" could it be that the 40Hz crossover is somehow still kicking in ? If so I can't find a way of explicitly turning the crossover off... though of course this could all be a red herring...

...having said that, music sounds awesome, it's just HDMI that's poor, and it affects sacd audio too, not just Blu (eg. Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" had lots of the sound missing).

Any thoughts / ideas ?

Have you tried turning on Xtra Bass to push the sub bass to the front pair?

Cheers

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #1882 on: 2 Feb 2013, 02:08 pm »
Just in case, I decided to look into the firmware on the sp3 and found it was still on v2012.03 (!) so ran an upgrade, first to 2012.05e then to 2012.12 which was the latest version I could fine. Then added back all of the config settings and sacd via hdmi is working - hurrah !

Of course what has also since occurred to me is that, unlike dts-HD etc formats which are bitstream so decoded in the sp3, the sacd sound will be PCM so what I'm hearing is down to the quality of the Oppo...

Anyway, I'll check dvd's and blu's this evening, but I'm hoping that that the upgrade/re-configure approach will have done the trick.

While i was at it, I also upgraded my bdp1 to the latest (1.65 2013/1/30) and I have to say both upgrade mechanisms worked flawlessly; it's such a pleasure dealing with properly tested software/equipment after the experiences of bugs and frustrations from the likes of Arcam (av888), Cary (cinema12) and (but to a considerably lesser extent) Classe (ssp800).

wilsonij

« Reply #1883 on: 2 Feb 2013, 02:15 pm »
Have you tried turning on Xtra Bass to push the sub bass to the front pair?

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion Arcam10 (nice name btw - I started out on Arcam gear many moons ago... still have an old alpha6/delta290 combo in the spare room) but I don't think that a couple of firmware upgrades and re-entering all the configs has done the trick.

ragg987

« Reply #1884 on: 2 Feb 2013, 04:41 pm »
Thanks to Stan, I now understand the possibilities of using the Aux-L and Aux-R to drive my 2 subs in stereo mode. Bottom line, it is feasible but you cannot control the distance on this output (fixed at 11ms delay), and hence matching gain, setting crossover and phase will become something to do outside of the SP3 (i.e. using sub controls or an external device.

I have run a quick and dirty test, and it works. Matching and integration is now much more difficult, so the jury is out at the moment. Once I get time to tweak this (might be a few months - work / travel gets in the way), shall post my findings.

Thanks James and Stan for the support.

wilsonij

« Reply #1885 on: 2 Feb 2013, 05:58 pm »
Anyway, I'll check dvd's and blu's this evening, but I'm hoping that that the upgrade/re-configure approach will have done the trick.

Problem solved !

I had reason to turn everything off during the afternoon and when I came to check things this evening I found that only half of the config settings were still there. A bit of trial and error later and I discovered that settings are only saved if you press 'left' not just up one level of menu (as the instructions implied) but all the way to the top and beyond so that the screen blanks out for a moment (which, incidentally, would be more user friendly if it said at that point "saving settings").

Anyway, I reconfigured everything yet again, 'saved' it all, turned it all back off and then back on again, and sure enough Blu rays, dvd's, sacd's etc etc all sound fab.

I have to wonder how many hundreds of hours of effort could have been saved by a better-written manual...

...that said, if that is the lowest point and the equipment itself is as good as first impressions imply, I'd rather it was that way round.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1886 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm »
What ho, gents:

As promised, here's the very helpful reply I just received from Stan at Bryston. He confirmed that it is not possible to set separate subwoofer distances when using the SP3's Aux-L/Aux-R outputs. This is certainly no deal-breaker but it may require significant tweaking of the subs. In case it may be helpful to you, I've pasted in my query to Stan following his reply.

Cheerio,

RJ

Stan's Reply

"I think, using Aux-L and Aux -R outputs to drive your two subwoofers will fulfill your goals 1-4.   Aux-L and R contain downmixed spectrum from all the source channels in a multichannel stream, including the LFE.    It will work equally well if the original stream is 2.0 or 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1.   You have to enable a lowpass filter in your suboofers to be close to your main speaker's cutoff (about 39Hz).  A time delay (speaker distances)  cannot be independently set for the Aux-L and Aux-R.

Since your main speakers can reproduce bass from 39Hz up, you could set  SP3 cutoff frequency at 40Hz and set SPEAKER SIZE as Small, or set them as Large and disregard the SP3 cutoff frequency setup.  The only difference is that in the first case all bass below 40Hz plus LFE below 40Hz will be routed to the Subwoofer output of SP3 (which you probably won't use anyway), while in the second case only LFE will be routed to the Subwoofer output.  In either case Aux-L and Aux-R will carry the entire spectrum, so there is no difference if you use only Aux-L,R to drive the subs.

There is a difference in the way bass contents of the  L,R,C,Ls,Rs,Rb,Lb  channels is handled as opposed to the bass content of LFE channel.

Small
In the first case (Small) your main speakers will receive the portion of the bass from L,R,C,Ls,Rs,Rb,Lb above the cutoff frequency that you have set (40Hz) but none of the LFE, LFE will be all routed to the Sub only, along with the other bass below 40Hz,  and all this will also be downmixed into Aux-L,R as well.

Large
 In the second case (Large) , All bass contents of  the L,R,C,Ls,Rs,Rb,Lb  channels will go through your Large speakers, regardless of the cutoff frequency set in SP3, while only all  LFE will go through the subwoofer SP3 output (and will also be downmixed through Aux-L,R)."

_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___

My Query

I am writing on using two subwoofers with the SP3. I've read the manual but need your expertise and advice. A list of my gear appears below this message. I apologize for the length of this email; my subwoofers do present some perhaps unusual options.

The goal
I want to enable stereo (or dual) subwoofer outputs (my subs are connected with in-wall single-ended RCA cables that I cannot change). As noted below, my subs can accept a full-range signal or an LFE signal; they can also be daisy-chained, to act as one sub. (I realize that at the lower frequencies, there is no stereo separation.)

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use two subs when playing two-channel audio
2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use two subs when playing multi-channel audio
3. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use two subs for LFE when playing multichannel movies?
4. Can I set the distance for each subwoofer individually?

The question
Can I use the SP3's L-Aux and R-Aux outputs to achieve my four goals above? If not, is there another way to accomplish my goals?

Pertinent Information
My Velodyne subs claim a frequency response of 14.6-120 Hz ± 3db, and my Paradigm S8 towers claim a response of 39 Hz - 45 kHz ± 2db. The subs have an eight-band auto and manual parametric EQ feature that lets one adjust or bypass the low-pass crossover (high-pass is fixed at 80 Hz). The subs each have their own volume control. Velodyne's software will let me EQ each sub separately.

Also, the Velodyne DD15 prefers to use its internal crossovers rather than LFE output, but it will work with LFE if the low-pass crossover is defeated. Here are apt excerpts from the manual.

A Word About Subwoofer Outputs
The Velodyne subwoofer is designed to operate using the full range audio signal for input when using the digital built-in crossover. Most processors/receivers have a “subwoofer out” jack that is internally filtered and designed to be used with a conventional amplifier and speaker. In some rare cases, combining both an external crossover and the one internal to the subwoofer may result in low output and increased noise. In these installations you may need to bypass the internal crossover in either the processor or Velodyne subwoofer. In some installations, simply setting one crossover to a higher frequency (such as 120Hz) will restore maximum performance. To bypass the subwoofer’s internal crossover when the unit is being fed a low pass signal from another crossover, refer to the SeTUP instructions at step 14 (page 24).

Page 24:
NOTE: Some receivers/processors supply a signal that is already crossed over – i.e. just the bass frequencies. If this is the case, you will want to defeat the subwoofer’s low pass crossover. To defeat the low pass crossover, press the SelecT key, then the ReSeT key. The following screen appears:

Finally, if only one sub output is available from the SP3, I can daisy-chain the subs to act as one.

A Word About Connecting More Than One Subwoofer
If you are connecting more than one dd subwoofer to your system, you will connect them together in a “daisy- chain.” choose one sub for all the connections described below (we’ll call this the “master” sub), and then connect an RCA jack from the THRU RCA jacks of the “primary” to the input jacks of the “slave” sub. You will also need to obtain a “mouse extension” serial cable (available at any computer store, from your Authorized Velodyne dealer, or from Velodyne directly) and connect the RS-232 OUT port of the primary sub to the RS-232 In port of the secondary sub. Then, all runtime commands directed at the primary sub (such as volume) will be communicated to the secondary sub automatically through the serial cable. If you have more than two subs in your setup, simply continue the daisy chain from the secondary sub to the next sub in the line (using both RcA and serial connections) and so on.

I very much appreciate your help, Mr. Bleszynski. I've been waiting a long time for the SP3 and am thrilled by its possibilities.

Amplifiers
Bryston 6B-SST(C) amp:                   front L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C) amp:                   surround L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C) amp:                   rear L/C/R

Speakers
Paradigm Reference Signature S8:           fronts L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature C5:           front C
Paradigm Reference Signature ADP:         surrounds L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature S4:           rears L/R
Velodyne DD15 subwoofers (2):               subwoofers L/R

scottsol

« Reply #1887 on: 12 Feb 2013, 11:17 pm »
If it is on, pressing the button does not put it in standby.  If it is in standby, pressing the button does turn it on (I just checked this).  I can turn it off via the remote, or a Universal remote via the infrared remote input.  Not a major issue, just a curious one.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Just confirming this symptom with 2012.12

wilsonij

« Reply #1888 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm »
While I'm loving the sound quality of my SP3, but one thing is driving me nuts... after about 15 minutes the sound cuts out and no amount of changing sources or settings will bring it back. Only a "power off > leave for a few seconds > power on" will resolve it.

Oddly this seems to happen *every* time and yet, once it has happened and I've been through the process, it doesn't then happen again....

Any ideas as to what might be causing it and/or how to diagnose the fault ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1889 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:23 pm »
While I'm loving the sound quality of my SP3, but one thing is driving me nuts... after about 15 minutes the sound cuts out and no amount of changing sources or settings will bring it back. Only a "power off > leave for a few seconds > power on" will resolve it.

Oddly this seems to happen *every* time and yet, once it has happened and I've been through the process, it doesn't then happen again....

Any ideas as to what might be causing it and/or how to diagnose the fault ?

Hi

What software version are you using??

james

wilsonij

« Reply #1890 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:33 pm »
Serial number 35
Firmware 2012.12

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1891 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm »
Serial number 35
Firmware 2012.12

OK email me and I will send you some new software - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1892 on: 5 Mar 2013, 05:08 pm »
Firefox browser incompatibility issues

Recent versions of Firefox (2012 and 2013) seem to result in corrupted SP3.bin file uploaded to SP3 unit. This causes the programming to fail reverting the unit back to the factory backup
firmware.

It is recommended to use Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer. If the unit upgrade fails due to the above mentioned reason, it is recommended to repeat the procedure using other browser.
If the original URL address cannot be accessed, then use the following direct link, which will always work even if all files were corrupted:

http://xx.xx.xx.xx/upload where xx.xx.xx.xx are the currently used SP3 address digits displayed on the front panel logo screen when the left arrow key is pressed. Example: 169.254.1.1

Stan Bleszynski
Bryston Ltd. 6-March-2013

Napalm

« Reply #1893 on: 5 Mar 2013, 05:52 pm »
James are you folks prepared there for the upcoming HDMI 2.0?

Oh wait....

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

"No Use of HDMI Version Numbers Effective Immediately Effective January 1, 2012, all HDMI products cannot make any reference to HDMI version numbers. Please refer to updated Adopted Trademark and Logo Guidelines (ATLUG) for further guidance. There is no grace period for this requirement."

Fantastic.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1894 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:04 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Thank you

James,

My SP3 and BDP-2 are now installed and after many years of trying to marry AV and music, I know feel that I have the best of both worlds.  I have the BDP-2 quickly hooked up to my QNAP server and it enumerated 14,000 FLAC tracks in no time at all and is extremely reactive to all controls from the MPAD on my iPAD.  Love it

Very happy.

And it has blue LED's!

Many thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2013, 11:48 am by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #1895 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:00 am »
Dang it James,the sp-3 in Black with Blu leds looks real nice and I'm sure performance is superb also.
I'll have to see,frig,demo T-subs,SP-3 BDP 1-2 damn I'm broke already..........wait a minute ..CC's take it to the limit one more time :thumb:.

scb

« Reply #1896 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:39 pm »
replacing my SSP-800 with an SP3 this week

scb

« Reply #1897 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm »
got answers to my questions...ignore
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2013, 01:13 am by scb »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1898 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:31 am »
I just hooked my sp3 up and have a few questions:

1. Is anyone having issues with an IR repeater?

I was using the Xantech 78944 with no issues with my Classe SSP-800. With the Xantech plugged into the SP3, any button on the Bryston remote (or ANY remote) turns the SP3 on or off, making my remote completely useless.  Using an actual IR eye placed over the SP3 sensor is the same - every button turns the SP3 on or off. 
update: same thing happens with a Monoprice IR repeater.  I have the SP3 in a closet, so I need to use a repeater.

Is the Xantech the problem, or doe these simply not work with the SP3?

Also, is the USB in really limited to 48khz?

Can I set a static ip less than 192.*? My network is 10.* and it won't let me go below 192 on the sp3

Hi

Please email Stan at Bryston about this - james

stanbleszynski@gmail.com

scb

« Reply #1899 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:34 am »
Ignore my IR question.  I'm an idiot and when I hooked up my amp triggers I plugged the IR in into the trigger in instead of the IR in.  problem quickly solved when I looked at the back of the unit.  :duh: :duh: