SP 3.0?

ragg987

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1860 on: 14 Dec 2012, 04:01 pm »
Mine left the factory in early October, so hopefully should be fine. How do I check the revision number?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1861 on: 14 Dec 2012, 04:25 pm »
Mine left the factory in early October, so hopefully should be fine. How do I check the revision number?

Just check the display when it starts and you will see the date of the software.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1862 on: 28 Dec 2012, 02:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

Harry Pearson's has a new website called HPSoundings.com.

Here is a link below to a review of Bryston's SP3 Surround Sound Processor.

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2012/12/1428/

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1863 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:54 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP-3

Hi James

Let me just say again that the Bryston SP3 is an astounding piece of equipment.

Even my high-end cohorts were amazed at the difference in overall sound, separation, detail, etc., compared to anything else I've used including the Levinson 502.

Congratulations. I will seriously consider a Bryston amp next time I'm upgrading that part of my system (which currently is all Levinson).

Gary

mkaiser

« Reply #1864 on: 2 Jan 2013, 06:33 pm »
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:54 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP-3

Hi James

Let me just say again that the Bryston SP3 is an astounding piece of equipment.

Even my high-end cohorts were amazed at the difference in overall sound, separation, detail, etc., compared to anything else I've used including the Levinson 502.

Congratulations. I will seriously consider a Bryston amp next time I'm upgrading that part of my system (which currently is all Levinson).

Gary

Nice to see people coming back to reality.  :thumb:

Mark

Ritchief

SP3 Max Software feedback
« Reply #1865 on: 4 Jan 2013, 07:02 pm »
Happy New Year all....

I thought that I would provide some feedback on the recently released software that included the SP3 Max software...

My only three key issues are:
•   The volume control jumping 3db at any one time,

•   I have also experienced on occasions when loading the Max software onto the IPad the volume increasing without my intervention. This occurred over the Christmas period and my father-in-law who is slightly deaf experienced a sudden sound check from my MB2i PMC speakers that went from- 40db to +2db by the time I got the SP3 (Father-in-Law was not amused)!!!!

•   The webpage doesn't fit centrally within the Ipad.

Other than those 3 items it works very well. Just need to the SP3 / BDP linked software  to make it top dollar !!

MOZ

« Reply #1866 on: 8 Jan 2013, 09:43 am »
Here goes the new "JBL/LEXICON" processor... as shown here, well the SP3 rebadged  8)

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/232

adprom

« Reply #1867 on: 9 Jan 2013, 06:33 am »
I guess the question is, why sell the SP3 under a 3rd party branding? To increase sales, exposure?

Not critical at all - just wondering

mv038856

« Reply #1868 on: 10 Jan 2013, 04:24 pm »
I guess the question is, why sell the SP3 under a 3rd party branding? To increase sales, exposure?

Not critical at all - just wondering

I think it is a matter of economies of scale. Bryston invested a lot of engineering ressources into the SP-3 and the market for $10k processors through the Bryston distribution network is limited. By supplying JBL Synthesis with a modified SP-3, the product gets another distribution channel which otherwise Bryston wouldn't have access to. JBL Synthesis would otherwise have pushed the Harman pre/pro. Therefore I would expect most of the SDP-45 sales to be additional sales into JBL Synthesis systems, not canibalizing original Bryston sales. Maybe being chosen as the best pre/pro by JBL Synthesis might even direct more attention to the original Bryston product.

But time will tell, how successful the JBL Synthesis version SDP-45 will be and how Bryston SP-3 sales have been effected.

Cheers!

Markus

Phil A

« Reply #1869 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:05 pm »
Lexicon has been rebadging things for a bit.  Oppo players (I believe before Oppo they based something off of a Pioneer), Bryston amps (old ST series), etc.  Rebadging is not uncommon in the audio world

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1870 on: 10 Jan 2013, 07:17 pm »
Lexicon has been rebadging things for a bit.  Oppo players (I believe before Oppo they based something off of a Pioneer), Bryston amps (old ST series), etc.  Rebadging is not uncommon in the audio world

...as an example: Bryston's BIT have the Torus technology inside. so i guess Phil is right that rebadging is not uncommon in the audio world. but it would be indeed very interesting how the JBL SDP-45 will find its way to the customer's homes. some pics of JBL's processor innards, technical specs and reviews would be interesting, too. and at least the question what kind of changes (if any) have been made by JBL compared to the SP3.

al.

MOZ

« Reply #1871 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:05 am »
I'm not sure James will be allowed to answer but i'm still wondering if there has been some modifications with this rebadged pre... ?
JBL was thinking on implementing their Logic Quantum DSP, has it been done, will it be ?

So There

• Brystonized
SP3: dual subwoofers
« Reply #1872 on: 30 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm »
Greetings, Bryston fans:

I'm strongly considering the SP3 for my 7.2 system and have a question on dual subwoofers. I've read the manual and this thread but need your help. I see from the manual and appendices that the SP3 has one subwoofer output; yet, I also see L-Aux and R-Aux outputs. Can I use the Aux outputs to achieve my three goals below? (From page 34-35, it appears that the LFE output is only active through the Sub output; can it be remapped to the Aux outputs, or would I need to use the Sub output and a Y connector to run two subs?)

I want to enable stereo (or dual) subwoofer outputs (my subs are connected with in-wall single-ended RCA cables that I cannot change):

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing two-channel audio?

2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing multichannel audio?

3. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use the dual subs for LFE when playing multichannel movies?

FYI, here's my equipment:

Amplifiers
Bryston 6B-SST(C): front L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): surround L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): rear L/C/R

Speakers
Paradigm Reference Signature S8: fronts L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature C5: front C
Paradigm Reference Signature ADP: surrounds L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature S4: rears L/R
Velodyne DD15 subwoofers (2): subwoofers L/R

Digital Sources
Oppo BDP 105 (scheduled for purchase to replace BDP-83)
Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player (scheduled for purchase)
Bryston BDA-2 D/A Converter (scheduled for purchase)

Thanks very much, Bryston fans. I appreciate your help.

RJ
Napa Valley

skunark

« Reply #1873 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm »
If you want to do 7.1 with 2 subs, seems like you would want to use an XLR to RCA adapter for the second sub.   If you want true 7.2 or 2.2 (meaning separate L and R mix for the sub), you might want to add Bryston's 10B electronic crossover with the SP3 purchase.    Set the mains to large and all other speakers to small.     

I'm sure James though will give the right advise here.

Jim
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2013, 05:45 pm by skunark »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: SP3: dual subwoofers
« Reply #1874 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:02 am »
Greetings, Bryston fans:

I'm strongly considering the SP3 for my 7.2 system and have a question on dual subwoofers. I've read the manual and this thread but need your help. I see from the manual and appendices that the SP3 has one subwoofer output; yet, I also see L-Aux and R-Aux outputs. Can I use the Aux outputs to achieve my three goals below? (From page 34-35, it appears that the LFE output is only active through the Sub output; can it be remapped to the Aux outputs, or would I need to use the Sub output and a Y connector to run two subs?)

I want to enable stereo (or dual) subwoofer outputs (my subs are connected with in-wall single-ended RCA cables that I cannot change):

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing two-channel audio?

2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing multichannel audio?

3. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use the dual subs for LFE when playing multichannel movies?

FYI, here's my equipment:

Amplifiers
Bryston 6B-SST(C): front L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): surround L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): rear L/C/R

Speakers
Paradigm Reference Signature S8: fronts L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature C5: front C
Paradigm Reference Signature ADP: surrounds L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature S4: rears L/R
Velodyne DD15 subwoofers (2): subwoofers L/R

Digital Sources
Oppo BDP 105 (scheduled for purchase to replace BDP-83)
Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player (scheduled for purchase)
Bryston BDA-2 D/A Converter (scheduled for purchase)

Thanks very much, Bryston fans. I appreciate your help.

RJ
Napa Valley

Hi

Yes you can use both the XLR Sub point one channel out as well as the RCA which will give you 2 subs with the point 1 channel. 

Then you can configure the AUX left and right outs to be Stereo or an extra Center and Sub.  As long as the 2 subs you use in stereo have gain gontrols and frequency you can feed them with the Aux out stereo feed.

james

ragg987

« Reply #1875 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:38 am »
Hi

Yes you can use both the XLR Sub point one channel out as well as the RCA which will give you 2 subs with the point 1 channel. 

Then you can configure the AUX left and right outs to be Stereo or an extra Center and Sub.  As long as the 2 subs you use in stereo have gain gontrols and frequency you can feed them with the Aux out stereo feed.

james
I have been scratching my head to achieve something similar - i.e. 2 subs in stereo.

James - in the scenario you mention, how do you configure the SP3 to treat the main L+R speakers as small, and the Aux L+R as large?

If I understand this correctly, you can configure as follows:
- Set subwoofer to "None"
- Set L+R to "large"
- Set Aux to duplicate L+R
Now full range stereo and LFE are being redirected to both sets of L+R
- Use sub controls to adjust levels and cut-off

Problem seems to be that main L+R will continue to receive low frequencies as well? Have i missed something?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1876 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm »
I have been scratching my head to achieve something similar - i.e. 2 subs in stereo.

James - in the scenario you mention, how do you configure the SP3 to treat the main L+R speakers as small, and the Aux L+R as large?

If I understand this correctly, you can configure as follows:
- Set subwoofer to "None"
- Set L+R to "large"
- Set Aux to duplicate L+R
Now full range stereo and LFE are being redirected to both sets of L+R
- Use sub controls to adjust levels and cut-off

Problem seems to be that main L+R will continue to receive low frequencies as well? Have i missed something?

Hi

Email Stan at Bryston and he will help out - stanbleszynski@gmail.com

james

ragg987

« Reply #1877 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:18 pm »
Awaiting Stan's input - thanks for the contact, James. On re-reading the instruction manual, it states that the AUX L+R will downmix the audio from the other channels, so it is not a simple duplicate of main L+R. Additional factor to consider in this scenario.

m00nhawk

« Reply #1878 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:43 pm »
If you do manage to run two subs separately, whether Stereo or Mono, can you set their distances individually? 

I prefer mono, but using a splitter as I am now for my two subs, I have to place both subs equidistant from my listening spot.  This hampers my ability to use placement to neutralize room modes.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #1879 on: 1 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm »
Got my SP3 earlier this week and am stunned by the quality of music from AES XLR; however am massively underwhelmed by surround sound and can't help thinking there's something wrong.

I'm playing cd's from a transport at -20dB volume and everything is crystal clear and holographic; play a Blu ray via HDMI and I have to crank it up to -6dB and the sound is still comparatively thin and muddled, almost like some of it is missing; does this ring any bells for anyone ?

The reason I wondered if some of the audio is missing is because I don't have a separate sub as my mains are powered with built-in subs so go down to 15Hz territory; while I've configured those speakers as "large" and sub is "none" could it be that the 40Hz crossover is somehow still kicking in ? If so I can't find a way of explicitly turning the crossover off... though of course this could all be a red herring...

...having said that, music sounds awesome, it's just HDMI that's poor, and it affects sacd audio too, not just Blu (eg. Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" had lots of the sound missing).

Any thoughts / ideas ?