SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1840 on: 9 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm »
Out of interest James, do you have any details on the changes? My SP3 runs very hot, are you addressing issues like that?

Cheers

Yes the outside chassis is a heat sink so on the righthand side of the SP-3 it will run hot - not to worry it is normal.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1841 on: 9 Dec 2012, 12:50 pm »
I think the SP3 is hot due to the 24V and 15V analog voltage regulators which, unlike switching power supplies, tend to run really hot. Also, these regulators are heat sinked via the power supply chassis to the outer case, which therefore does get pretty hot.

It is hotter than the 9BSST but that has real aluminum heatsinks, and many of them....

James can correct me, but I think the changes are mainly in some of the connectors and the Ethernet part of the IO daughter card, but since the USB chip is still the PCM2707 no 192/24 Asynchronous mode (yet).

Yes the revisions are just small changes made in the circuit boards for production purposes etc.  There have not been any major changes to the USB section etc.

james

Buseto

« Reply #1842 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:47 pm »
The SP3 has three triggers?

I thought to have seen somewhere .... that a trigger could be attributed to a certain input, but can't see it now. Anyone?

My idea is to connect e.g. trigger one tot the amp for the front speakers; trigger two to the amp for the center and the surrounds and attribute trigger one to every input and trigger two only to the input of the the dvd/blu ray-player.

Is that possible?

assafl

« Reply #1843 on: 9 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm »
The SP3 has three triggers?

I thought to have seen somewhere .... that a trigger could be attributed to a certain input, but can't see it now. Anyone?

My idea is to connect e.g. trigger one tot the amp for the front speakers; trigger two to the amp for the center and the surrounds and attribute trigger one to every input and trigger two only to the input of the the dvd/blu ray-player.

Is that possible?

Indeed there are three trigger outputs.

As long as the SRC PARAM is set to Individual, you can assign different sets of triggers to different inputs (under source setup select Triggers).

If SRC PARAMS is set to global, trigger setup is shared by all sources.

mrJB

« Reply #1844 on: 9 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm »
Uploaded 2012.12 firmware today.  Went fine.  Thanks Bryston.  However,  it seems that I have lost the use of my front panel Standby button!  Pressing it does nothing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1845 on: 9 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm »
Uploaded 2012.12 firmware today.  Went fine.  Thanks Bryston.  However,  it seems that I have lost the use of my front panel Standby button!  Pressing it does nothing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards.

Meaning it will not turn off?

james

mrJB

« Reply #1846 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm »
If it is on, pressing the button does not put it in standby.  If it is in standby, pressing the button does turn it on (I just checked this).  I can turn it off via the remote, or a Universal remote via the infrared remote input.  Not a major issue, just a curious one.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Buseto

« Reply #1847 on: 10 Dec 2012, 02:23 pm »
Indeed there are three trigger outputs.

As long as the SRC PARAM is set to Individual, you can assign different sets of triggers to different inputs (under source setup select Triggers).

If SRC PARAMS is set to global, trigger setup is shared by all sources.

Thanks.
I think that is the way I did it once.

But when I now go to SRC PARAM I see to its right: --- [just like this] and when I try to select something else (with the volume or with the arrows (left/right, up/down) the --- will stay.

How can that be?
I am using FW 2012.12.

Buseto

« Reply #1848 on: 10 Dec 2012, 05:01 pm »
In the AV-forum Ritchief gave the answer:

'You are correct a trigger can be assigned per source, ie you only want your rear and ctre speaker amp to be turned off/on when watching a BR/DVD and not whilst listening to the CD.

How to do it:

Select the source, now using the menu buttons to go:
Say, DVD > now in the menu screen to go SOURCE SET UP > TRIGGERS, now select on / off.

This will now turn on the connect piece of kit every time you select this source (assuming of course you have connected the back of 12v triggers to the associated devices).

You can also set the delay timing of the source equipment being turned off/on by going to MENU SETUP > MISCELLANEOUS > TRIG DELAY, and selecting the timings from the menu.

For example, I have mine setup so that trigger one is activated when I select DVD & SAT so that the surround sound channel amp is turned off/on with a delay of 5 seconds.'

See also release notes for Fw 2012.11.

assafl

« Reply #1849 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:18 pm »
Thanks.

But when I now go to SRC PARAM I see to its right: --- [just like this] and when I try to select something else (with the volume or with the arrows (left/right, up/down) the --- will stay.

How can that be?
I am using FW 2012.12.

Odd - I use same firmware but I can select SRC PARAM as Individual or Global (using the surround mode butttons). Since your follow on post shows you could assign different triggers to different sources you must be in individual source mode (in Global mode you'll have a G next to the source set up menu).

Ritchief

« Reply #1850 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:31 pm »
Thanks.

How can that be?
I am using FW 2012.12.

I think this is because you source is not attached to an HDMI input.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1851 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:25 pm »
New Review on SP-3 Preamp/Processor and 9B SST2 Amplifier

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/HT_SP39B.pdf

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1852 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:10 pm »

Alpha10

« Reply #1853 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:41 pm »
^^^^
That looks much better than the old version  :thumb:

Is it going to be available soon?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1854 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:57 pm »
^^^^
That looks much better than the old version  :thumb:

Is it going to be available soon?

Cheers

Email me if you want to try the beta.  jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1855 on: 12 Dec 2012, 05:27 pm »

james

Done  :D

Alpha10

« Reply #1856 on: 12 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »

james

I really like this James. I have tried SP3-Max on both my normal Windows PC and my iPad3 both run no problem at all. The big volume arrows are very good on the iPad  :thumb:

One thing that would be good is giving the user the ability to change/choose the granulatity of the volume steps, 3dB is quite course sometimes.

Cheers

Buseto

« Reply #1857 on: 12 Dec 2012, 06:59 pm »

I think this is because you source is not attached to an HDMI input.

You're right.

ragg987

« Reply #1858 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:56 pm »
New Review on SP-3 Preamp/Processor and 9B SST2 Amplifier

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/HT_SP39B.pdf

james
Thanks for the link, James. The reviewer mentions video clipping of BTB and WTW, which is the first review I have seen mention this. Is it an anomaly for their test unit, or is that found in all the SP3s? I have not yet plugged mine in so not been able to verify it myself.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1859 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:22 pm »
Thanks for the link, James. The reviewer mentions video clipping of BTB and WTW, which is the first review I have seen mention this. Is it an anomaly for their test unit, or is that found in all the SP3s? I have not yet plugged mine in so not been able to verify it myself.

Hi,

It is already fixed in units shipped since Sept this year (revision 2012 or later has it).

A software update is available for previous units.

An example of how the industry changes things on the fly :duh:

james