SP 3.0?

SHV

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1740 on: 10 Sep 2012, 05:29 pm »
I have one of these:

http://galaxyaudio.com/CM140.php

The less expensive Radio Shack meter may be all that you need.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #1741 on: 10 Sep 2012, 08:48 pm »
If you have a Smartphone and want to go cheap route, Studio Six Digital has an SPL Meter App (have it on my iPhone).  I think it was free and I paid the $0.99 to get no ads.  I have not compared it to the analog meter that I have from Radio Shack but it looks a lot like it on the screen.  I also have their RTA Lite App and it's not bad.  I did compare it a bit to my RTA at someone's house last week and it's decent.  As can be expected, the microphone does not have the same response in the lower octaves as a real RTA calibrated one, but neither does the Radio Shack analog meter.  Rives Audio makes a test disc to compensate for the microphone in the Radio Shack.  I think it is $21.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1742 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:20 am »
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:05 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: SP3, BDP-1 (SN 842), BDA-1 (SN 1574)

Dear James,

I recently bought a SP3, a BDP-1 and the BDA-1 from the dealer Hifi-Concept in Munich.

I can´t explain you how satisfied I am with your products. I love the sound and the quality of your products.

For controlling the BDP-1 I use my iPad with the MPad app and the Bryston-Max web app. I love the Bryston-Max app because it is easy to handle and it displays cover art embedded in my AIFF-Files. There are a few things that could be improved, but I like Max so far.

Jurgen

SHV

« Reply #1743 on: 12 Sep 2012, 06:35 pm »
"I recently bought a SP3, a BDP-1 and the BDA-1 from the dealer Hifi-Concept in Munich. "
I have the same components but bought the BDA/BDP combo many months before release of SP3.  For a new buyer does it make sense to add a BDA to the SP3/BDP combo?

"The DACs in the SP-3 are the same as the BDA so that would be equal quality."

Steve

srb

« Reply #1744 on: 12 Sep 2012, 06:43 pm »
For a new buyer does it make sense to add a BDA to the SP3/BDP combo?

Not only would I say no, but If I currently owned both an SP3 and a BDA-1, I would sell the BDA-1.

Steve

Soldeed

« Reply #1745 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:01 pm »

Would I be able to hook up my current SSP Pre outs to the 7.1 channel In inputs and use 7.1 Bypass

I realize I would have to set the SP 3's volume level to unity gain.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1746 on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:42 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP-3 Review in The Inner Ear Magazine

DATE:  September 2012

Hi Folks

Please see link below regarding a new review on the Bryston SP-3 Preamp/Processor.

The reviewer is a professional sound engineer who has won many awards for his work in Movies and TV sound.

www.innerearmag.com/reviews/accessories/Bryston_SP3.shtml

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1747 on: 25 Sep 2012, 06:28 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP-3 Review in The Inner Ear Magazine

DATE:  September 2012

Hi Folks

Please see link below regarding a new review on the Bryston SP-3 Preamp/Processor.

The reviewer is a professional sound engineer who has won many awards for his work in Movies and TV sound.

www.innerearmag.com/reviews/accessories/Bryston_SP3.shtml

james

Wow, james another great review. I love the fact he used films HE had done the music/score for to test it out, that is very cool, he should afterall know how he wanted them to sound.

Cheers

PS have there been any software updates for the SP3, I haven't notced any for awhile?

igorelli

« Reply #1748 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:46 am »
Awesome review! But we already knew all those things 8)

I would also like to know if there is any new firmware and if there are any news on an iPad controller app?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1749 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:54 am »
Hi

Current software is 5e so nothing since then. Working on new version now.

James

nemir

« Reply #1750 on: 26 Sep 2012, 03:35 am »
What will the new software change, update or fix?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1751 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:33 am »
What will the new software change, update or fix?

Some housekeeping and faster switch times.

James

Alpha10

« Reply #1752 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm »
Hi

Current software is 5e so nothing since then. Working on new version now.

James

Thanks James.

Cheers

Buseto

« Reply #1753 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:58 am »
Case:
HDMI into SP3, from there to the flatscreen.
I want the video to go to the flatscreen and the audio via the SP3 and the main amplifiers only to the speakers.

Problem: Not only video goes to the flatscreen, but also the audio signal. So I always have to cancel the sound of the flatscreen.

But - quote from the manual (p. 4):
'The audio content will be processed through the SP3’s DSP but the video content will simply be passed through to the two (parallel) HDMI outputs.'

question:
Do I read the quote wrong or do I do something else wrong?

Jürgen

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1754 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:17 am »
Case:
HDMI into SP3, from there to the flatscreen.
I want the video to go to the flatscreen and the audio via the SP3 and the main amplifiers only to the speakers.

Problem: Not only video goes to the flatscreen, but also the audio signal. So I always have to cancel the sound of the flatscreen.

But - quote from the manual (p. 4):
'The audio content will be processed through the SP3’s DSP but the video content will simply be passed through to the two (parallel) HDMI outputs.'

question:
Do I read the quote wrong or do I do something else wrong?

Jürgen

Hi Jurgen

Yes the Audio and Video always stay 'together' even if it is just passing through.  We are working on a new feature in software called a "Sticky"  where you will be able to watch one program but listen to another.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1755 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:14 pm »
  We are working on a new feature in software called a "Sticky"  where you will be able to watch one program but listen to another.

james

James, can I add a vote for this, it would be an excellent feature, which I used to use on my old processor, such that I could have music coming through say Bal1 whilst watching the cricket in the background coming from the satellite box in HDMI 1

:thumb: :thumb:

Cheers

Buseto

« Reply #1756 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:31 pm »
Hi Jurgen

Yes the Audio and Video always stay 'together' even if it is just passing through.  We are working on a new feature in software called a "Sticky"  where you will be able to watch one program but listen to another.

james

Hi James,

2 x thanks.

Jürgen

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1757 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:29 pm »
Hi Jurgen

james

I would LOVE this feature, please!   We frequently like to watch something (like a game) on the screen but play music instead. 

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #1758 on: 1 Oct 2012, 02:58 am »
Is there still a trade in program for the SP1.7 to a SP3? I thought I read about that somewhere. Thanks, Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1759 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:56 am »
Is there still a trade in program for the SP1.7 to a SP3? I thought I read about that somewhere. Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,

It officially ended Sept 1 st but let me know if you go ahead and we can work something out.

james