SP 3.0?

Ritchief

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1720 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:20 pm »
In response, yes the screen will show "HD DTS MA" on the units screen. Whats more, the SP3 will automatically select the best input and output that signal.

With regard re-naming the inputs no, if you are thinking along the lines of the Arcam system.

On the digital sources you can select SPD1-3 or OPT1-3 via the system setup, except on the HDMI input. For example my Veloydne DD15 is plugged in via RCA cables in the Tuner input, but I cannot rename it Velodyne. I did think that before the purchase that this would be an minor setback, but to be honest, I don's miss this function and as James states, the sound quality is foremost over features...

SHV

« Reply #1721 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:28 pm »
"the RS232 codes as I may go down that route"
I was also thinking about going to RS232 control until I got the SP3.  Control via my network with I-Pad and I-Phone was very easy to set up and having to use two separate apps for SP3 and BDP-1 is only slightly inconvenient.

Steve

Ritchief

« Reply #1722 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm »
"the RS232 codes as I may go down that route"
I was also thinking about going to RS232 control until I got the SP3.  Control via my network with I-Pad and I-Phone was very easy to set up and having to use two separate apps for SP3 and BDP-1 is only slightly inconvenient.

Steve

I use the RS232 codes with my Nevo S70 remote, but equally use the Ipad but to a lesser extent as the Nevo does it all....

SHV

« Reply #1723 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:11 pm »
I use the RS232 codes with my Nevo S70 remote, but equally use the Ipad but to a lesser extent as the Nevo does it all....

My major control issue was outside/patio/pool area.  Before I upgraded from SP1.7 to SP3, I tried various RF and IR solutions with limit success.  The SP3 "zone" controlled via network is quite simple. 

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #1724 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:44 am »
Control via my network with I-Pad and I-Phone was very easy to set up and having to use two separate apps for SP3 and BDP-1 is only slightly inconvenient.

James, there was some talk about a combined SP3/BDP1 iPad app, is this still on the cards, it would be fabulous?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1725 on: 3 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm »
James, there was some talk about a combined SP3/BDP1 iPad app, is this still on the cards, it would be fabulous?

Cheers

Yes we are still looking at that.

James

G E

« Reply #1726 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:28 pm »
Does anyone have first hand experience comparing the SP3 with the Bel Canto Pre 6 surround preamp?  I have the latter and really like it but always looking to take things to the next level.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1727 on: 3 Jul 2012, 03:43 pm »
DATE:  July 2012

Hello James 

I have just bought a Bryston BDP1 Player and SP3 Processor combination. 

The sound is Scary!!!   I am in a state of disbelief. 

I keep setting it tasks to see if it’s as good as my previous system whether it be vinyl through Phono amp to CD – (yeah I know but allow me some indulgence to my personal favourite SACD and DVD audio). 

Wow it just does it simply no fuss which throws you a little because on the previous top of the range Onkyo you had all these settings to play with,  With the Bryson SP-3 it just does it and boy does it do it!  Can I temp you James to throw on Band on the run DVD audio and just try and take that smile of your face.

And of course my new little friend The BDP1 Digital Player is sounding as good if not better than the others I have mentioned here.  just getting to grips with my new world FLAC Lossless 44khz 24/96 once I get comfortable with these new concepts I will be one happy bunny rabbit

Keep up the Good Work

Simon   

Alpha10

« Reply #1728 on: 3 Jul 2012, 06:06 pm »
Yes we are still looking at that.

James

Excellent news, fingers crossed  :thumb:

Cheers

kosh2258

« Reply #1729 on: 7 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm »
I've been the proud owner of an SP3 for two weeks now. 

During that time I've checked it out using the HDMI, SPIDF, balanced and 7.1 inputs as well as sampling the various output modes.  My conclusion is that there is no way to make the SP3 sound bad.   Material that wasn't engineered very well sounds good and well engineering material sounds fabulous.   

The sound stage is wide and has depth.  The detail the SP3 pulls out of a recording is eerie. I'm hearing detail and nuance in music I've never heard before regardless of the format.  But the biggest revelation is the fact the SP3 can produce a clean, clear sound at levels beyond live.  During my testing I decided to see how high I could run the volume before the sound became harsh or muddy.  I never got there.  I turned up the volume and all the SP3 did was pump out more and more clean, clear and detailed sound.  I ended stopping because I knew the volume was too high to be safe not because the sound became harsh and unbearable to hear.  I had absolutely no idea my 9BSST could muster up that much output if fed a truly clean signal.  The next time I try this I'm going to get out my sound level meter and measure the output level to see how high it was at.

One thing I did uncover in my testing not directly related to the SP3 is that you can't always trust the specs that manufacturers publish.  I have some digital material recorded at 24/192 and I was anxious to try it out with the SP3.  However, I still don't know what it sounds like played at the full rate and converted by the SP3.  It turns out that my disc player while capable of reading and playing the discs won't pass it through digitally at full rate.  It down converts the output to 24/96 on both HDMI and SPDIF.  The manual claims 24/192 capability but buried in the pages is the chart showing what happens to the digital output.  That got me riled up because it isn't an inexpensive piece and yet they cut corners. Basically, I didn't get what I thought I was paying for.  So, caveat emptor when buying some equipment.  Just because they charge a bundle doesn't mean you get good value for the money. 

Fortunately, that isn't the case with Bryston.  Yes, the SP3 is up there, but you very definitely get what you've paid for and then some.  Stellar job on SP3, James and company. 

Ted

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1730 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:35 pm »
I've been the proud owner of an SP3 for two weeks now. 

During that time I've checked it out using the HDMI, SPIDF, balanced and 7.1 inputs as well as sampling the various output modes.  My conclusion is that there is no way to make the SP3 sound bad.   Material that wasn't engineered very well sounds good and well engineering material sounds fabulous.   

The sound stage is wide and has depth.  The detail the SP3 pulls out of a recording is eerie. I'm hearing detail and nuance in music I've never heard before regardless of the format.  But the biggest revelation is the fact the SP3 can produce a clean, clear sound at levels beyond live.  During my testing I decided to see how high I could run the volume before the sound became harsh or muddy.  I never got there.  I turned up the volume and all the SP3 did was pump out more and more clean, clear and detailed sound.  I ended stopping because I knew the volume was too high to be safe not because the sound became harsh and unbearable to hear.  I had absolutely no idea my 9BSST could muster up that much output if fed a truly clean signal.  The next time I try this I'm going to get out my sound level meter and measure the output level to see how high it was at.

One thing I did uncover in my testing not directly related to the SP3 is that you can't always trust the specs that manufacturers publish.  I have some digital material recorded at 24/192 and I was anxious to try it out with the SP3.  However, I still don't know what it sounds like played at the full rate and converted by the SP3.  It turns out that my disc player while capable of reading and playing the discs won't pass it through digitally at full rate.  It down converts the output to 24/96 on both HDMI and SPDIF.  The manual claims 24/192 capability but buried in the pages is the chart showing what happens to the digital output.  That got me riled up because it isn't an inexpensive piece and yet they cut corners. Basically, I didn't get what I thought I was paying for.  So, caveat emptor when buying some equipment.  Just because they charge a bundle doesn't mean you get good value for the money. 

Fortunately, that isn't the case with Bryston.  Yes, the SP3 is up there, but you very definitely get what you've paid for and then some.  Stellar job on SP3, James and company. 

Ted

Thanks Ted much appreciated - will pass this along.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1731 on: 31 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm »
Hi Folks,

I was just informed that we have another great review coming on the Bryston SP-3 Processor in Widescreen Review Magazine in the USA.  In keeping with our main goal of excellent audio either Stereo or Surround here is a sneak peak for you.

"There had better be some reason to spend this kind of money on a preamplifier/processor ($9500) when processors as good as Cary’s Cinema 12, AudioControl’s Maestro M3, and Anthem’s D2v are available for $5,000 to $7,500. For me it was the SP3’s performance as a high-end analog stereo preamplifier with optional digital processing. When I listen to high quality analog sources, there are times when I want completely untouched analog sound and other times when I want something different… like having the music converted to 7.1 channels with DTS Neo:6 Music mode. Provided I make all the right setup choices, I can get exactly that from the SP3. I had not encountered a preamplifier/processor that could stand alone as a superb analog stereo preamplifier until the SP3. My oldish but still amazingly excellent-sounding analog stereo preamplifier (Belles/Power Modules 28A solid state) always sounds a bit better than the best surround processors when listening to analog sources. But the SP3 is the first surround sound processor that can hold its own, sound quality-wise, with the venerable 28A preamplifier.

The neutral character of the SP3 is my idea of perfect performance in an audio component in spite of the lurid prose often spilled on very inaccurate audio products by too many “reviewers” who think $20,000 is “reasonable” for a stereo preamplifier. The very idea of spending $10,000 or more on a preamplifier with such identifiable characteristics (distortions), is just creepy to me. Giving up a high quality (and neutral-sounding) analog stereo preamplifier for high quality analog sources and using a surround processor for both digital and analog sources isn’t something I would have considered before hearing the SP3. I feel the Belles/Power Modules 28A preamplifier still outperforms the other preamp/processors… but ‘not’ the SP3. The 28A and SP3 don’t sound identical, but I’d say they are on essentially the same plane."

Doug Blackburn

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1732 on: 10 Aug 2012, 10:47 am »
Hi James,

I've just spent the evening revisiting my record collection.

I hooked up my Gyro + TechnoArm + AT33PTG + PS Audio GCPH phono stage, and connected it to the SP3 using balanced cable to Bal2 input and 2 Ch ByPass.

A bloody amazing, shed loads of detail and dynamics and sound stage, but vanishingly low surface noise - how is this possible?
This is the same rig I used with the SP1.7, and although it sounded good then it was nothing like as good as it is using the SP3.

The SP3 is one amazing bit of kit, a true all rounder, and delivers top results from all sources.

Only one problem now - I've got to buy more vinyl!

Regards
Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1733 on: 14 Aug 2012, 10:35 am »
Hi Folks,

German SP3 VIDEO review translated to English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7BBG2vlQs8

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1734 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

Received today a PDF of a review on the SP3 from WIDESCREEN REVIEW MAGAZINE by Doug Blackburn.

Again FIVE ***** (STARS) for sound in both Stereo and Surround!!!

Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com if you wish a copy.

james

Mag

« Reply #1735 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:25 am »
Hi Folks,

German SP3 VIDEO review translated to English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7BBG2vlQs8

james

Good review, I get the impression he is not just hamming the SP3 up. He's truly excited and enthusiatic about the sound quality the SP3 exhibits.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1736 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:32 am »
...yes, he IS excited :thumb:

al.

adol290

« Reply #1737 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:20 pm »
James,

I was going to change my speakers to the Brystons, but my dealer suggested I
 would get better bang for my buck by replacing my Integra 80.3 with the SP3.

SO a few questions:

Would i get better sound by cabling my BDP-1 directly into the SP3 with AES, or
 have the BDP-1 go through the BDA-1 into the SP3. Has anyone tested this.

Also do you ever plan on having the USB on the SP3 capable of reading FLAC files
 directly from a portable hard drive.

What are the delivery times on the SP3(silver), from order date.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1738 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:28 pm »
James,

I was going to change my speakers to the Brystons, but my dealer suggested I
 would get better bang for my buck by replacing my Integra 80.3 with the SP3.

SO a few questions:

Would i get better sound by cabling my BDP-1 directly into the SP3 with AES, or
 have the BDP-1 go through the BDA-1 into the SP3. Has anyone tested this.

Also do you ever plan on having the USB on the SP3 capable of reading FLAC files
 directly from a portable hard drive.

What are the delivery times on the SP3(silver), from order date.

Hi

The DACs in the SP-3 are the same as the BDA so that would be equal quality.

The USB is a Client and your computer is a Host and never the twain shall meet.

SP 3 is about 3 weeks from order.

James

adol290

« Reply #1739 on: 10 Sep 2012, 05:03 pm »

Can someone suggest a good spl meter,
           to help dial in the levels on the SP3.