SP 3.0?

SHV

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1700 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:43 pm »
That explains what seems be going on with changing IP address, loss of power to cable modem and router.

Steve

simmac

« Reply #1701 on: 11 Jun 2012, 08:50 am »
Hi
I need some advice please just bought the sp3 and i have come across a slight problem i have connected the sp3 to my mcintosh mc205 via the xlr balanced input /output connections i.e Front L/R Centre- Back L As i had only 4 XLR Leads at the present awaiting the 5th one to arrive on order i connected the 5th Back R via Normal Coaxial RCA i Then Noticed i was getting sound from all The speakers connected through XLR but nothing through the One connected via RCA so I canged the Lead still nothing i then swappted the Back L/R with the xlr and the rca and the speakers changed to produce sound from everything connected through xlr but not RCA i tried all the speakers and nothing through RCS the manuals just says you can connect power pre amp through XLR or RCA anybody any idea what i am doing wrong
Thanks
Simon

Bobby_b

« Reply #1702 on: 11 Jun 2012, 10:31 am »
Hi
I need some advice please just bought the sp3 and i have come across a slight problem i have connected the sp3 to my mcintosh mc205 via the xlr balanced input /output connections i.e Front L/R Centre- Back L As i had only 4 XLR Leads at the present awaiting the 5th one to arrive on order i connected the 5th Back R via Normal Coaxial RCA i Then Noticed i was getting sound from all The speakers connected through XLR but nothing through the One connected via RCA so I canged the Lead still nothing i then swappted the Back L/R with the xlr and the rca and the speakers changed to produce sound from everything connected through xlr but not RCA i tried all the speakers and nothing through RCS the manuals just says you can connect power pre amp through XLR or RCA anybody any idea what i am doing wrong
Thanks
Simon

Is this the simon I sold the denon combo too, you have gone up in the world mate.. Do you still own the denon equipment. You change your equipment like I change my socks lol.. :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1703 on: 13 Jun 2012, 08:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have the PDF of the Stereophile review Part 1 and Part 2.  If you want a copy email me at jamestanner@bryston.com
It's 2MB

james

SoundGame

« Reply #1704 on: 14 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have the PDF of the Stereophile review Part 1 and Part 2.  If you want a copy email me at jamestanner@bryston.com
It's 2MB

james

Thanks very much James for sending along. :thumb:

James - did Kal make the decision to buy an SP3, which I think would be the highest complement?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1705 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see link below to the STEREOPHILE review of the Bryston SP-3 Surround Processor – it includes Parts 1 and 2 in a single PDF.

It’s a ‘corker’ as the Brits would say!!!!

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/SP3_Review%20.pdf

james

Larry Woolacott

« Reply #1706 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:16 pm »
Great review ... :thumb:

I think my wallet just got lighter.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1707 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:22 pm »
Congrats to you and your team!

kosh2258

« Reply #1708 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:19 pm »
After reading the review I'm going to have a really hard time waiting the remaining few days before mine is delivered.  This is going to be Christmas in June!    :D

Ted

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1709 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:58 am »
Hi Folks,

I do not speak German but I am told this video review of the SP-3 is outstanding. :thumb:  I am going to try and get an English version done as well.

http://www.takeoffmedia.de/journalismus/testberichte-heimkino-hardware/elektronik/bryston-sp3.html

james

PS - the reviewer purchased 2 units for himself :thumb:
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012, 02:40 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1710 on: 19 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm »
Hi James,

We just watched the video review one hour ago and I can tell you that review is excellent.

In short:

Review is 30 minutes long and very, very detailed.

Conclusion of the review: best sounding surround preamp and one of the best sounding stereo preamp on the market.

Have nice day

Edvard
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012, 02:33 pm by James Tanner »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1711 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:30 pm »
James,

does the SP3 supports the ARC (Audio Return Channel)?

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1712 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:42 pm »
James,

does the SP3 supports the ARC (Audio Return Channel)?

thanks,

al.

Not yet - looking at it .

james

akopperl

« Reply #1713 on: 1 Jul 2012, 08:24 pm »
I plan on purchasing the SP-3 this week and had a few questions:

1) I know the unit does not process video, which is probably a plus.  However, can the unit display the video format it is receiving (e.g. 1080p/24 36 bit)?
2) I plan on streaming music via coax from a Squeezebox Touch.  The Touch has a 3rd party app which allows it to output 192/24 files.  As you feed various resolutions to the Bryston (44/16 to 96/24 to 192/24, etc.) does the SP3 seamlessly lock onto all of the various formats?  I recently had an Arcam AVR600 and although it sounded great, it had way too many bugs.  One of the issues I experienced was a delay or click every time the file resolution changed and on occasion a complete inability to playback 96/24 files.
3) I use a program called Roomie Remote on the iPad to control my system.   It is a great program and allows IP/IR/Serial control of equipment.  Currently, they only list support for IR control of the SP3.  What would I have to provide them to be able to control the SP3 via IP?
4) Does the SP3 do a good job of rejecting jitter?  I plan on selling my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 which is a great sounding DAC/digital preamp.  I figure if I am paying for a unit such as the SP3, it would be a waste not to take advantage of its DACs.  However, I do not want to give up 2 channel performance either.

Thanks

Ritchief

« Reply #1714 on: 2 Jul 2012, 07:42 am »
Firstly, the purchasing of the SP3 was one of THE best bits of kit I have ever bought, along with all the components that I now have.

To answer your questions:

1) Correct the SP3 does not do any video formatting, it merely passes through the video signal to your screen so if your DVD/BR player can display this information then this will be displayed.

2) All formats are excepted by the SP3. I used to have the AV888 so fully understand your (Arcams) issues, however, I can fully reassure you that I have never had a pop, crackle or any other bugs from the SP3. The only issue that I did experience was with the RS232 on/off code which was very quickly resolved.
As a side note if you are buying the SP3 the other upgrade I would higly recommend is the purchase of the Bryston BDP1. The BDP will outstrip your Squeezebox by miles and most definitely complement the SP3 in term of quality of audio presentation.  Both units together is an awesome system that can be controlled via your network.

3) You can control the SP3 with the IP address of the unit - this allows you to do everything that you can do from the front of the display. If you need the RS232 codes then I can send these to you.

4) The SP3 is at the top of league when in comes to jitter elimination. With regard to 2 channel it by far exceeds the AV888 which has better DACs than the AV600, thus you will most definitely not be going backwards in this area. The SP3 is as good as the BP26 but with multichannel ability to the same high standard!

Looking forward to your feedback on the SP3.... :thumb:

rascal

« Reply #1715 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:14 am »

SP3 got high praise from Stereophile reviewer Kal-(whose reviews I trust and he is typically circumspect on so-so reviews/products)- he was wowed by SP3.  I am not going to repeat what he found but you can check it out

Link is here http://bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2012_04_Review_Stereophile.pdf

I hope to buy this in a few months.

akopperl

« Reply #1716 on: 2 Jul 2012, 01:49 pm »
Firstly, the purchasing of the SP3 was one of THE best bits of kit I have ever bought, along with all the components that I now have.

To answer your questions:

1) Correct the SP3 does not do any video formatting, it merely passes through the video signal to your screen so if your DVD/BR player can display this information then this will be displayed.

2) All formats are excepted by the SP3. I used to have the AV888 so fully understand your (Arcams) issues, however, I can fully reassure you that I have never had a pop, crackle or any other bugs from the SP3. The only issue that I did experience was with the RS232 on/off code which was very quickly resolved.
As a side note if you are buying the SP3 the other upgrade I would higly recommend is the purchase of the Bryston BDP1. The BDP will outstrip your Squeezebox by miles and most definitely complement the SP3 in term of quality of audio presentation.  Both units together is an awesome system that can be controlled via your network.

3) You can control the SP3 with the IP address of the unit - this allows you to do everything that you can do from the front of the display. If you need the RS232 codes then I can send these to you.

4) The SP3 is at the top of league when in comes to jitter elimination. With regard to 2 channel it by far exceeds the AV888 which has better DACs than the AV600, thus you will most definitely not be going backwards in this area. The SP3 is as good as the BP26 but with multichannel ability to the same high standard!

Looking forward to your feedback on the SP3.... :thumb:

Thank you for the reply.

1) I'm not sure if I completely understand your answer.  I assume you are stating I could rely on my blu-ray player for the information.  I have a Sony BDP-S790 and when I hit display, it provides the video format.  However, not all of my components have this feature.  In the manual, there is serial code listed called VFMT with the following description:

Query Video Input VFMTxx Format QS Query, returns video timing and format code xx in hex. *** See helpvfmt.txt document. ***

I was wondering if this provides the video format information on the SP3 display.

2) I would love to purchase the BDP-1, but not sure if I can swing it at the same time as the SP-3.  It would be nice if the BDP-1 could access my network as opposed to a USB drive since it is much easier to distribute new files over a network.  Also, the Logitech Media Server software is great.  From what I have seen, I am not sure if MPaD can properly sort artists, etc.  For example, does MPaD sort Neil Young under Neil or Young?

3) Yes, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the RS232 codes as I may go down that route.

4) Good to hear.  To date, the best home theater units for two channel that I have ever owned were the EAD Ovation processor and the Arcam unit.

Ritchief

« Reply #1717 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:23 pm »
akopperl,

1) The SP3 has no video processing at all therefore it cannot visually display the data on the TV/Projector. However, the SP3 display only does show what the input signal is and the output is; "In"" PCM 44k 2 ch, "Output" Stereo.

If your Sony BDP (or any other source equipment) can display this information then this will appear on the TV as the signal is passed directly through to the TV.

As an ex Arcam AV888 owner, I can understand where you are coming from however, the SP3 is fully programmable from the unit and also via the IP address and with such a simple interface it is very easy to set up. In my opinion, it is more logical than the Arcam setup page.

2) The BDP whilst playing music through a portable hard drive via the USB,  it is still fully networkable. I rip my music via dbpoweramp and then just copy and paste from my computer music folder onto the HD whilst still connected to the BDP. Again, as like the SP3, the BDP has it own web page from which you can update, select music etc via the IPad using either the Bryston player or the MPod / Mpad app.

My understanding is that Bryston are hopefully going to produce an APP that controls both the SP3 and BDP under one one page and not two IP web pages.

With regard to ripping and sorting artists my name, once you understand how to set up the dbpoweramp cd naming, you can easily manage your music portfolio. If you want to change the folder name after the rip, change it.....it is like all other computer files you may wish to rename.

On initial set up once you have ripped your music collection onto your computer, connect a portable Hard drive to the computer, burn the music folder onto it, connect to the BDP, wait for the BDP to update - select music and play...very very simple to use.

3) If you PM me, I'll send you the folder.

4) The Bryston unit is at the very top of the league tables, I still highly rate the Arcam, but they are chalk and cheese (and in particular no damn clicks or thuds!)

Hopefully this make it a bit clearer.

I am positive that you will NOT be disappointed with the SP3 as an upgrade from the Arcam.

akopperl

« Reply #1718 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:47 pm »
akopperl,

1) The SP3 has no video processing at all therefore it cannot visually display the data on the TV/Projector. However, the SP3 display only does show what the input signal is and the output is; "In"" PCM 44k 2 ch, "Output" Stereo.

If your Sony BDP (or any other source equipment) can display this information then this will appear on the TV as the signal is passed directly through to the TV.

As an ex Arcam AV888 owner, I can understand where you are coming from however, the SP3 is fully programmable from the unit and also via the IP address and with such a simple interface it is very easy to set up. In my opinion, it is more logical than the Arcam setup page.

2) The BDP whilst playing music through a portable hard drive via the USB,  it is still fully networkable. I rip my music via dbpoweramp and then just copy and paste from my computer music folder onto the HD whilst still connected to the BDP. Again, as like the SP3, the BDP has it own web page from which you can update, select music etc via the IPad using either the Bryston player or the MPod / Mpad app.

My understanding is that Bryston are hopefully going to produce an APP that controls both the SP3 and BDP under one one page and not two IP web pages.

With regard to ripping and sorting artists my name, once you understand how to set up the dbpoweramp cd naming, you can easily manage your music portfolio. If you want to change the folder name after the rip, change it.....it is like all other computer files you may wish to rename.

On initial set up once you have ripped your music collection onto your computer, connect a portable Hard drive to the computer, burn the music folder onto it, connect to the BDP, wait for the BDP to update - select music and play...very very simple to use.

3) If you PM me, I'll send you the folder.

4) The Bryston unit is at the very top of the league tables, I still highly rate the Arcam, but they are chalk and cheese (and in particular no damn clicks or thuds!)

Hopefully this make it a bit clearer.

I am positive that you will NOT be disappointed with the SP3 as an upgrade from the Arcam.

Thanks again

Regarding point 1 - I did not mean to display the video format on the TV/Projector screen.  I meant on the front display of the SP3.  Your example, was for the audio format, which I have seen in pictures of the unit.  I was curious if it could display the corresponding video format data on the front display.

Can you rename the inputs on the SP3?  I don't see it listed in the Menu Tree in the manual.  If so, how many characters can you use?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1719 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:12 pm »
Thanks Guys for answering 'akopperl's' questions -you guys are better at this than me  :duh:

Anyway it just brings to mind the point that the SP-3 was designed with sound quality first and foremost and can not be compared with products that are designed with feature first preferences.

james