SP 3.0?

Bobby_b

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1680 on: 4 Jun 2012, 08:44 pm »
Congrats on the sp3 mate .. a great step foward.

There is a new processor launched in the US called the datasat RS20i and there is nonsense chat about that it out performs both the ada & bryston sp3 due to its eq/dirac on board.

http://datasatdigital.com/

Quote:

The performance of the Datasat over the ADA/Bryston SP3 , yes it is a big step forward in performance, processor wise both very very good .Dirac is the big game changer the ability to clean up the sound stage to the extent that the detail all the way through the frequency range is stunning + the ability to EQ 4 subwoofer's individually rather than one for incredible bass control. End Quote.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1681 on: 4 Jun 2012, 08:51 pm »
Congrats on the sp3 mate .. a great step foward.

There is a new processor launched in the US called the datasat RS20i and there is nonsense chat about that it out performs both the ada & bryston sp3 due to its eq/dirac on board.

http://datasatdigital.com/

Quote:

The performance of the Datasat over the ADA/Bryston SP3 , yes it is a big step forward in performance, processor wise both very very good .Dirac is the big game changer the ability to clean up the sound stage to the extent that the detail all the way through the frequency range is stunning + the ability to EQ 4 subwoofer's individually rather than one for incredible bass control. End Quote.

Not sure where this fits - who is saying this  and did they review the SP3. 

james

Bobby_b

« Reply #1682 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:25 pm »
Hi James,

No that comment was just from some folk members on a forum having a debate comparing pre pro's. Its all speculation, I am sure that they have never heard an SP3. I think they feel the sp3 is incomplete without the eq function.

:thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1683 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:53 pm »
Hi James,

No that comment was just from some folk members on a forum having a debate comparing pre pro's. Its all speculation, I am sure that they have never heard an SP3. I think they feel the sp3 is incomplete without the eq function.

Ah - ok - I guess we should be proud of the fact they see us as the one to beat

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1684 on: 7 Jun 2012, 03:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

Got my copy of the July 2012 Stereophile Magazine and the second part of the SP3 review by Kalman Rubinson is on Page 51  :thumb:

My favorite comment in the review is.... "Altogether, I think the Bryston SP-3 is the first great audiophile preamplifier-processor."

james

onthefly

« Reply #1685 on: 7 Jun 2012, 03:47 pm »
Is anyone using the newer type jack plug trigger from an SP3 to a 4B?

Do I just need a mono (two core) 3.5mm lead with the plug cut off one end and the cable stripped bare to the amp plug?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1686 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:03 pm »

Do I just need a mono (two core) 3.5mm lead with the plug cut off one end and the cable stripped bare to the amp plug?

Correct - just insert (screw) the 2 wires into the 12 volt pull out connector and plug it back into the rear of the amp.  Polarity does not matter.

Make sure the toggle switch on the back of the amp is in Trigger position.

james

Phil A

« Reply #1687 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:06 pm »

Yes - as James noted.  With Bryston and other equipment I just bought a connector and ran spare wire I had laying around.  I did have normal cables I could have cut the end off of but some of the wires are very thin (you don't want anything too thick either) and more of a pain to screw into the back. 

Larry Woolacott

« Reply #1688 on: 7 Jun 2012, 05:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Got my copy of the July 2012 Stereophile Magazine and the second part of the SP3 review by Kalman Rubinson is on Page 51  :thumb:

My favorite comment in the review is.... "Altogether, I think the Bryston SP-3 is the first great audiophile preamplifier-processor."

james

James, would you happen to have the PDF for the second part?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1689 on: 7 Jun 2012, 05:24 pm »
James, would you happen to have the PDF for the second part?

Not yet - it has to be put together and OK'ed for distribution.

james

Buseto

« Reply #1690 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:11 pm »
I hope my copy of stereophile will arrive tomorrow, too.

Vipers

« Reply #1691 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:28 pm »

james

Looking forward to reading PT2 James, that is certainly a very high endorsement, not that I expected any different to be honest, and reiterates what I've been saying since I got my SP3, basically that the SP3 is the first multichannel processor that I have ever heard that performs faultlessly with both 2 channel and multi channel, no easy task.

SHV

« Reply #1692 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:43 pm »
"My favorite comment in the review is.... "Altogether, I think the Bryston SP-3 is the first great audiophile preamplifier-processor."
I upgraded from SP1.7 to SP 3.0 primarily for ease of use in managing HDMI, etc. and decoding the newer movie 7.2 HD audio.  As a bonus, it does sound better than the 1.7 with Blue Ray, I'm not sure 2CH bypass using BDA/BDP is different.

Steve

Buseto

« Reply #1693 on: 8 Jun 2012, 08:00 am »
Well, I got Stereophile today. Some things my attention were drawn to (in addition to the sentence James quoted):

- KR couldn't get 24/192 kHz resolution files via HDMI (but it did work via the S/PDIF input;- Bryston said that the first was unexpected and will be resolved.
- 'Despite all this [the mentioned input via HDMI, Buseto], the bottom line was that my Connecticut rig had never sounded better than when the Bryston was running things.'
- 'I think the Bryston SP-3's analog performance is the secret sauce of this wonderful pre-pro - its qualities shone through regardless of whether I used digital or analog sources, and whether or not they were processed.'

And one question:
The firmware update website of the SP3 doesn't show any files since a couple of days. Why is that? And what is the latest firmware version (mine is 2012.05e)?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2012, 11:13 am by Buseto »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1694 on: 8 Jun 2012, 10:31 am »
Well, I got Stereophile today. Some things my attention were drawn to (in addition to the sentence James quoted):

- KR couldn't get 24/192 kHz resolution files via HDMI (but via the S/PDIF input;- Bryston that the first was unexpected and will be resolved.
- 'Despite all this [the mentioned input, Buseto], the bottom line was that my Connecticut rig had never sounded better than when the Bryston was running things.'
- 'I think the Bryston SP-3's analog performance is the secret sauce of this wonderful pre-pro - its qualities shone through regardless of whether I used digital or analog sources, and whether or not they were processed.

And one question:
The firmware update website of the SP3 doesn't show any files since a couple of days. Why is that? And what is the latest firmware version (mine is 2012.05e)?

Hi

Yes 5e is the latest. Not sure why no files - I will ask.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1695 on: 8 Jun 2012, 10:35 am »

the bottom line was that my Connecticut rig had never sounded better than when the Bryston was running things.'- 'I think the Bryston SP-3's analog performance is the secret sauce of this wonderful pre-pro - its qualities shone through regardless of whether I used digital or analog sources, and whether or not they were processed.

AND ALL THIS WITH NO ROOM CORRECTION - the sky is falling!!!! :lol:

james

SHV

« Reply #1696 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
IP address changes. 

The IP address of my SP 3.0 has changed three times, last three 117, 123, 142.  Had a power outage yesterday and after power was restored, MPod and MPad wouldn't connect.  iP had changed from 123 to 142.  I attempted to reproduce what I thought had caused the change by turning SP 3 power off and then unplugging the power cord. After powering up again, the IP address was unchanged at 142.  So any ideas about what might cause the SP 3 to change addresses?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1697 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:13 pm »
IP address changes. 

The IP address of my SP 3.0 has changed three times, last three 117, 123, 142.  Had a power outage yesterday and after power was restored, MPod and MPad wouldn't connect.  iP had changed from 123 to 142.  I attempted to reproduce what I thought had caused the change by turning SP 3 power off and then unplugging the power cord. After powering up again, the IP address was unchanged at 142.  So any ideas about what might cause the SP 3 to change addresses?

Steve

Hi Steve - I will ask engineering.

james

SHV

« Reply #1698 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:12 pm »
Unrelated to the IP address change, but strange. I turned on the SP 3 (zone) with my IPhone while outside and it came on at max(?) volume and blew my KEF Ventura outdoor speakers. 

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1699 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:24 pm »
The router (the box that connect to your outside phone or satellite receiver outlet) acts as the DHCP server for the entire network in your house.  DHCP server assigns the IP addresses when starts up (power up) to all your devices on the network, typically in the ascending  order beginning with 100 or some other base.  For example if your network is defined as router=192.168.2.1  (the "Server"), then it will try to assign  192.168.2.100,  ...101,   ...102 etc for all the other devices called "clients".

It usually remember the pre-existing devices IPs using those devices MAC addresses (MAC address is a sort of a serial number, it's not the same as IP addr) from before power outage, and will try to assign the same IPs to the same devices but it cannot always do that.  For example if you added or taken out a device then it may have to renumber the other devices.    It depends on the router and it also depends whether the router memory may have been zeroed (reset or corrupt) during the power outage.   In my house I had to change routers every now and then especially after a lighting storm because they just blow (hardware breaks) and failed to work normally or work sort of but not quite the same as before.  Especially their WiFi wireless part is vulnerable, but also long Ethernet cables tend to have high voltage spikes propagating during storms, especially if the wiring is vertical between floors.  I have used probably 5 different routers in the last 10 years because they all would break sooner or later.
If your network has a working DHCP server then it does not really matter what IP is assigned to the SP3 because you can always call it by the Netbios name, that is http://sp3-serialnumber

You have a choice of setting the SP3 also not to accept the IP served to it by the router, by setting the MISC-->DHCP option to Static.  Then set the IP address in the same screen to what it is supposed to be for example 192.168.2.123

Then it will always be 123 but you probably won't be able to address it by the SP3 serial number but you would have to type    http://192.168.2.123

A prefered method of configuring the home LAN is to set the router as the DHCP Server, and enable all other devices and PC's on the network to use DHCP Client  or just "DHCP", rather than using the Static IP method.   Most devices and PC's use the term "DHCP" and "DHCP Client" interchangeably, means the same thing.   The Static IP method is the rescue measure of the last resort because it can lead to IP clash with multiple devices and confusion, when you add new devices, but it is also the one method which will always work.

Stan
Bryston