SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1620 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:06 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Feedback from One of Our Dealers in N.Y.

April 2012

From - AUDTEK SALES AND MARKETING
WWW.AUDTEK.COM 

March 30th., 2012  for immediate release:

BRYSTON SP-3 SURROUND PROCESSOR

In a NYC Triplex, with dual level terraces, the dealer/integrator*1 used the advanced video pass through to seamlessly pass 1080p video to one DLP projector and 3D to another[DiLA] projector.   

As quoted by the salesman: “We were a little apprehensive of using the SP-3 in this installation due to the need for it to plug-n-play with the [Savant], without any tolerance for re-visit due to [OUR] mandatory requirement by the owners to be off site within 5 days.  Using two SP-3’s added to our concern as this was a new product for us.” 

This is the second major installation of the new BRYSTON SP-3 pre-processor in the NY Area recently and additionally utilized a new BRYSTON 8ch. D-65 Class D Zone amplifier.  (http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/D65Z.html) “The Bryston D-65 Zone amp worked brilliantly for us as a surround amp in the bedroom where space and ventilation was limited”. The dealer/integrator used the RS-232 control from the SP-3 to integrate with the SAVANT system, and both units handled all switching flawlessly.

“We have always respected the sound of BRYSTON, and I have sold BRYSTON throughout my career, but this SP-3 is on a whole new level… Might be the best sounding pre-amp I have ever heard at any price! 

Thank you for suggesting this”.

Integrated Electronic Solutions
Yonkers, N.Y.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1621 on: 4 Apr 2012, 03:02 pm »
HI Folks,

I have been informed that there will be the first of a two-part review in Stereophile Magazine on the SP-3 in the May issue under 'Music In The Round'.

james

SHV

« Reply #1622 on: 4 Apr 2012, 05:55 pm »
HI Folks,

I have been informed that there will be the first of a two-part review in Stereophile Magazine on the SP-3 in the May issue under 'Music In The Round'.

james

From random web comments, I gather that Kal Rubinson has had an SP3 that he has been putting through it's paces.  From a few of his comments, I think that the review will be very positive.

On a different topic, hopefully Fed Ex will be bringing my SP3 tomorrow. In thinking about setting it up, I was wondering what, if anything that I should use the 7.1 inputs for,  if all of the lossless audio is coming in via HDMI.  My audio is now almost exclusively BDP/BDA and vinyl.  I occasionally put an SACD/DVD-A in the OPPO.

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #1623 on: 4 Apr 2012, 06:32 pm »

hopefully Fed Ex will be bringing my SP3 tomorrow.

My audio is now almost exclusively BDP/BDA and vinyl. 

Congratulations Steve and welcome to the club  :D

For me since buying the SP3, I now listen to more 2Ch music than ever before, the combination of BDP/BDA/SP3 for Redbook audio, is the best I have heard, ever. Actually, James, I wonder if anyone has bought an SP3, just for its 2Ch performance?

I have left my Oppo (83SE) as HDMI only, not bothered with the analogue cables, but if you have them it may be worth an experiment.

Cheers

SoundGame

« Reply #1624 on: 4 Apr 2012, 06:41 pm »
From random web comments, I gather that Kal Rubinson has had an SP3 that he has been putting through it's paces.  From a few of his comments, I think that the review will be very positive.

On a different topic, hopefully Fed Ex will be bringing my SP3 tomorrow. In thinking about setting it up, I was wondering what, if anything that I should use the 7.1 inputs for,  if all of the lossless audio is coming in via HDMI.  My audio is now almost exclusively BDP/BDA and vinyl.  I occasionally put an SACD/DVD-A in the OPPO.

Steve

My understanding is that Kal Rubinson is a professed supporter of Room Correction, so his perspectives on a grass-roots yet bleeding edge technology Bryston pre-pro will be very interesting.

SoundGame

« Reply #1625 on: 4 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »

For me since buying the SP3, I now listen to more 2Ch music than ever before, the combination of BDP/BDA/SP3 for Redbook audio, is the best I have heard, ever. Actually, James, I wonder if anyone has bought an SP3, just for its 2Ch performance?

I have left my Oppo (83SE) as HDMI only, not bothered with the analogue cables, but if you have them it may be worth an experiment.

Cheers

Alpha, I can't recall but were you previously using a Bryston BP preamp in your 2-ch, just prior to the inclusion of the SP3?  If so, how specifically would you describe the improvement that the SP3 has brought to the sonic table?

Alpha10

« Reply #1626 on: 4 Apr 2012, 07:24 pm »
Alpha, I can't recall but were you previously using a Bryston BP preamp in your 2-ch, just prior to the inclusion of the SP3?  If so, how specifically would you describe the improvement that the SP3 has brought to the sonic table?

Hi SG, I have had a BP26 in my system, for 2Ch (Balanced from BDA), the SP3 for me, although I have been careful about saying this in public, is much more detailed yet relaxing to listen to, which is odd, the SP3 is more 'toe tapping' to me as well, I was listening to Paolo Nutini earlier, which is the sort of tune that shows the difference. I am sure things will be different in different rooms and systems, but for me in my room and taste the SP3 is a clear winner, hey and it does surround sound as a bonus..

Cheers

SoundGame

« Reply #1627 on: 4 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm »
Hi SG, I have had a BP26 in my system, for 2Ch (Balanced from BDA), the SP3 for me, although I have been careful about saying this in public, is much more detailed yet relaxing to listen to, which is odd, the SP3 is more 'toe tapping' to me as well, I was listening to Paolo Nutini earlier, which is the sort of tune that shows the difference. I am sure things will be different in different rooms and systems, but for me in my room and taste the SP3 is a clear winner, hey and it does surround sound as a bonus..

Cheers

This is interesting though perplexing in that James has described the BP preamps as being similar in performance to the SP3 in 2-ch but providing a different presentation.  He mentioned that the BP pre-amps could be described as more forward vs. the SP3, while the being more laid-back.  My interpretation of that was that the BP preamps would come across as more intimate and lively and perhaps providing a more "toe-tapping" experience, whereas the SP3 would be more laid back and hence, being more relaxed and larger sounding, though less intimate.  Your description seems to imply that the SP3 brings more detail, is more relaxed and yet offers a greater degree of PRAT.   :scratch: 

Perhaps Vipers can share his thoughts as well.

SHV

« Reply #1628 on: 4 Apr 2012, 10:15 pm »

Cheers

Thanks, I think that I will start with a minimalist set up.  One reason for getting the SP3 was to simplify my cable runs.  I will be able to eliminate the HDMI switcher and the additional cables from my other HDMI devices and the 7.1 analog.

My wife asked yesterday when I could set things up so that she could run the BDP and have volume  control from her I-Phone for the outside speakers.  Hopefully the SP3 will allow that with only a bit of a hassle.

Steve

adprom

« Reply #1629 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:24 pm »
I was just looking at what audio formats the device can handle, and in the manual all I could come across was in the 232 codes:

Code: [Select]
INPT        Query Input Signal    INPTxx
            (Source Program)
        QS query, response xx=
            00: Unknown or illegal
            01: Analog, BP7 or BP2 
            02: Digital pass-through
            03: Pink-noise test
            04: Auto
            05: Bitstream
            06: All DTS formats 
            07: PCM Auto
            08: PCM (CD audio)
            09: PCM 8 ch
            0a: AC3 (Dolby Dig)
            0b: DTS 
            0c: AAC (MPEG4,MPEG2,iPhone,
                iPod,iPad,NintendoDSi,
                iTunes,DivX,PS3,PSP,
                SonyWalk,phones,Wii.
            0d: MPEG (MPEG1 Layer 1 and 2)
            0e: DTS12 (DVD IEC Type 12)
            0f: DTS13 (DVD IEC Type 13)
            10: DTS14 (CD 14-bit)
            11: DTS16 (CD 16-bit)
            12: WMP (WMA Pro)
            13: MP3
            14: DSD1 (SACD 1bit)
            15: DSD2
            16: DSD3
            17: DDP (Dolby Dig+)
            18: DTS HD or Master
            19: DOlby TrueHD
            1a: DXP (DTS Express)

Is that to say that this lists the entire range of formats the SP3 can decode?

i.e. AC3, DTS, PCM (2ch), PCM (multi channel), AAC, MPEG (layer 1 and 2), WMA Pro, MP3, DSD, DD+, DTS HD/MA, DD True HD and DTS Express

Would that be the complete list?

SHV

« Reply #1630 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:33 am »
Starting to set up the SP3.  Seems to be similar to SP1.7, however, the surround modes don't seem to function with 2ch input, SP set to "stereo".  Pressing the surround buttons has no effect, no modes appear on the display.  I have BDP/BDA connected to "CD" in.  Plays fine 2ch either stereo or 2ch bypass.

Steve

adprom

« Reply #1631 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:55 am »
Starting to set up the SP3.  Seems to be similar to SP1.7, however, the surround modes don't seem to function with 2ch input, SP set to "stereo".  Pressing the surround buttons has no effect, no modes appear on the display.  I have BDP/BDA connected to "CD" in.  Plays fine 2ch either stereo or 2ch bypass.

Steve

You need to 'unselect' stereo on it. So you need to make sure both 2ch bypass and stereo are set to off, and then you can use the surround modes.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1632 on: 7 Apr 2012, 06:13 am »

Steve

...congrats on your new SP3, Steve :thumb:! keep us updated on how you like the sound...and please post some pictures :green:.

al.

SHV

« Reply #1633 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:09 pm »
You need to 'unselect' stereo on it. So you need to make sure both 2ch bypass and stereo are set to off, and then you can use the surround modes.

Thanks...

Steve

SHV

« Reply #1634 on: 7 Apr 2012, 08:23 pm »

...congrats on your new SP3, Steve :thumb:! keep us updated on how you like the sound...and please post some pictures :green:.

al.

The new SP3 and the very low WAF environment that it is now is
living in.  The listening area is a "work in progress"....ceiling lighting and conduits are in and the power tools are off of the floor. :>)

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1635 on: 8 Apr 2012, 03:18 pm »
I was just looking at what audio formats the device can handle, and in the manual all I could come across was in the 232 codes:

Code: [Select]
INPT        Query Input Signal    INPTxx
            (Source Program)
        QS query, response xx=
            00: Unknown or illegal
            01: Analog, BP7 or BP2 
            02: Digital pass-through
            03: Pink-noise test
            04: Auto
            05: Bitstream
            06: All DTS formats 
            07: PCM Auto
            08: PCM (CD audio)
            09: PCM 8 ch
            0a: AC3 (Dolby Dig)
            0b: DTS 
            0c: AAC (MPEG4,MPEG2,iPhone,
                iPod,iPad,NintendoDSi,
                iTunes,DivX,PS3,PSP,
                SonyWalk,phones,Wii.
            0d: MPEG (MPEG1 Layer 1 and 2)
            0e: DTS12 (DVD IEC Type 12)
            0f: DTS13 (DVD IEC Type 13)
            10: DTS14 (CD 14-bit)
            11: DTS16 (CD 16-bit)
            12: WMP (WMA Pro)
            13: MP3
            14: DSD1 (SACD 1bit)
            15: DSD2
            16: DSD3
            17: DDP (Dolby Dig+)
            18: DTS HD or Master
            19: DOlby TrueHD
            1a: DXP (DTS Express)

Is that to say that this lists the entire range of formats the SP3 can decode?

i.e. AC3, DTS, PCM (2ch), PCM (multi channel), AAC, MPEG (layer 1 and 2), WMA Pro, MP3, DSD, DD+, DTS HD/MA, DD True HD and DTS Express

Would that be the complete list?

Yes it is, that is what MDS processor board supports at the moment.

Stan
Bryston

SHV

« Reply #1636 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:25 am »
Another SP3 set up question.  HDMI out from OPPO 83....Audio Format Setup...HDMI Audio  "Bitstream" gives 5.1 in with a 7.1 movie.  HDMI Audio to "Auto" gives 7.1 from 7.1 audio disc.  With set up set to "auto" which device is doing the decoding?  Or am I missing something?

Steve

SHV

« Reply #1637 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:16 am »
deleted

Alpha10

« Reply #1638 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:01 am »
Another SP3 set up question.  HDMI out from OPPO 83....Audio Format Setup...HDMI Audio  "Bitstream" gives 5.1 in with a 7.1 movie.  HDMI Audio to "Auto" gives 7.1 from 7.1 audio disc.  With set up set to "auto" which device is doing the decoding?  Or am I missing something?

Steve

I leave my 83 set to 'bitsream' I believe the auto was implemented to give some support to legacy AVRs, sending either PCM or bitstram depending on their capabilities.

Cheers

SHV

« Reply #1639 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:56 pm »
I leave my 83 set to 'bitsream' I believe the auto was implemented to give some support to legacy AVRs, sending either PCM or bitstram depending on their capabilities.

Cheers

That is how I had my 83 set up until I ran a 7.1 test disk and noted that bit-stream via HDMI doesn't seem to send 7.1.  The back channels are directed to the surround channels.  Same situation when I played Super 8, SP3 reported 5.1 in and 5.1 out.  The "auto" sends 7.1 channels to the SP3... but of what, PCM  or bit-stream?

Steve