SP 3.0?

Buseto

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1580 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:31 pm »
James, does this mean that you will be actioning this suggestion and develop & release an app ?

James,

'Yes' is enough. :thumb:

Buseto

« Reply #1581 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:33 pm »
Ritchie,

Could you answer my question about how to let the SP3 and the iPad communicate?

Thanks.

SHV

« Reply #1582 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:40 pm »
Yes I think the iPaD app is a great idea :thumb:

James

Could "IRule" be set up as a controller for SP3, BDA, BDP, etc?

http://www.iruleathome.com/

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1583 on: 8 Mar 2012, 04:21 pm »
Ritchie,

Thanks.

HI Ritchie,

There is no App at this time but you can control the SP3 by using your web-browser by typing in    sp3-(serial number of your unit)   or   the IP address of the SP-3.

james

Jeff Arrington

« Reply #1584 on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:21 pm »
Folks,

How good is the headphone section on the SP3? How does it compare to some of the better headphone amps out there (including Bryston's)?

Jeff

Ritchief

« Reply #1585 on: 8 Mar 2012, 06:31 pm »
HI Ritchie,

There is no App at this time but you can control the SP3 by using your web-browser by typing in    sp3-(serial number of your unit)   or   the IP address of the SP-3.

james

Correct, this is what I meant by means of control via an Ipad, not that I have one. However, as the IPAD3 has just been released (16th March), I may just have to invest in one now.

Even more so now, as James is going to develop an App for the SP3 in the future!.

Vipers

« Reply #1586 on: 8 Mar 2012, 06:55 pm »

I've just logged into my SP3 with my Ipad 2, and you get full functionality of the SP3, just as if you were using the front panel buttons, but the only thing that plays up is volume control, it doesn't seem to work, other than that it works a treat :)

If you log in to the SP3 using your PC then you also have volume control thanks to a slider bar.

A dedicated app would be nice though :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1587 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:05 pm »
I've just logged into my SP3 with my Ipad 2, and you get full functionality of the SP3, just as if you were using the front panel buttons, but the only thing that plays up is volume control, it doesn't seem to work, other than that it works a treat :)

If you log in to the SP3 using your PC then you also have volume control thanks to a slider bar.

A dedicated app would be nice though :wink:

Hi Vipers,

On the IPAD.... touch the round volume control on the SP3 web interface and type a value into the white box -( Example 55  )- and then touch the volume control again and the SP-3 will switch to that value.

james

Vipers

« Reply #1588 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm »
Folks,

How good is the headphone section on the SP3? How does it compare to some of the better headphone amps out there (including Bryston's)?

Jeff

I use the headphone out on the SP3 quite a lot with my Grado PS1000's and it sounds great, I've got a BHA-1 on order so as soon as I get that I'll be able to let you know how it compares, hopefully not to much longer, eh James? especially with my open day coming up next weekend  :wink:

Vipers

« Reply #1589 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:39 pm »
Hi Vipers,

On the IPAD.... touch the round volume control on the SP3 web interface and type a value into the white box -( Example 55  )- and then touch the volume control again and the SP-3 will switch to that value.

james

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply, that definitely makes sense, but for some reason it still seems a little hit and miss, can you try it when you get a minute and let me know how you get on.

Maybe I just need an Ipad 3 :)

JeffO

« Reply #1590 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:07 am »
Spent the weekend setting up an SP3.  I initially set the speaker levels using the internal test tones but found I did not like the sound.  When I checked the levels using a test disk I found the centre and sub were 5 - 10 dB high compared to the others. 

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the test tones of the SP3? 

After I set the levels using the test disk the audio was outstanding, I could not be happier, miles ahead of the OPPO 93 through my old 1.7.  Watched a couple of movies and listened to some flac files from a thumb drive from the OPPO.  I now understand the attraction of the BDP, no need to have the screen on. 

I tried using the SP3 to integrate a sub for 2 channel and got very good results.  James, are there any plans to allow for stereo subs as there are outputs for 2 subs on the back? 

Jeff

adprom

« Reply #1591 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:55 am »
The meter you are using, is it set to a C weighted slow response?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1592 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:23 am »
Spent the weekend setting up an SP3.  I initially set the speaker levels using the internal test tones but found I did not like the sound.  When I checked the levels using a test disk I found the centre and sub were 5 - 10 dB high compared to the others. 

After I set the levels using the test disk the audio was outstanding, I could not be happier, miles ahead of the OPPO 93 through my old 1.7.  Watched a couple of movies and listened to some flac files from a thumb drive from the OPPO.  I now understand the attraction of the BDP, no need to have the screen on. 

I tried using the SP3 to integrate a sub for 2 channel and got very good results.  James, are there any plans to allow for stereo subs as there are outputs for 2 subs on the back? 

Jeff

Hi Jeffo

What version of software are you running? 

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1593 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:27 am »

Jeff

Hi Jeffo

You can use the pair of AUX outs to add a second Sub or just use the XLR and RCA sub outs together.

Glad you are enjoying the sound :thumb:

James

Buseto

« Reply #1594 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:22 pm »

Jeff

I initially used the internal tones, but because I read about a difference between internal and external tones I tried it with external tones, too.
However I couldn't measure a difference.
When I did the measurements I used Firmware 2012.04.

JeffO

« Reply #1595 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:43 am »
The meter you are using, is it set to a C weighted slow response?

Yes

What version of software are you running? 

I reran the setup when I got home.  Using the WOW disk to set the levels, I then checked the internal tones.  The internal tones had the centre 5 dB higher and the sub 8 dB lower.  :scratch:  The levels using the test disk seem correct for the sub as the higher level from the internal test tones does not integrate a sub very well when on 2 channel so I am staying with the external settings for now. 

James, one thing you should point out in the manual is each input has to be setup individually, including the triggers.  I set up the sat box first then switched to the BluRay and spend 20 minutes checking wires and settings before I glanced at the amp and realized it was off and I had to set the trigger for the new input.   :duh: 

Jeff

Mag

« Reply #1596 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:59 am »
Timing is also a factor. You want the sound arriving from the center channel to blend with mains. Arrival times of speakers hitting your ears first, tends to mask sound from other speakers.

My preference is to not have a forward sounding center. Either equal to or behind the soundstage plane. You can do this by adjusting the center channel distance farther back than what it actually is. You'll have to experiment to where it sounds right to your ears.

Also adjusting the sub volume is best done by ear. You want the volume to be approx. 6 decibels higher due to IIRC Fletcher Munson effect, where bass frequencies sound quieter than higher frequencies. :smoke:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1597 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:19 pm »
Got this today from Home Cinema Choice Magazine in the UK for the Bryston SP-3 Processor:

james

onthefly

« Reply #1598 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:24 pm »
I ordered an SP3 yesterday.  Surprisingly it's a stock item.  :bowdown:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1599 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:19 pm »
I ordered an SP3 yesterday.  Surprisingly it's a stock item.  :bowdown: