SP 3.0?

SHV

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1560 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
"but only 2 stars for features."
One reason that I like Bryston stuff....lack of so called features.

Steve

JeffO

« Reply #1561 on: 4 Mar 2012, 06:08 pm »
"but only 2 stars for features."
One reason that I like Bryston stuff....lack of so called features.

Steve

+1

When looking at other processors out there, it may be nice to have 11.2 channels, bi-amp capability, video processing, more inputs than equipment I could fit in the room and room correction up to 20 kHz but I just want my 5.1 channels to sound good excellent.  All Bryston components seem to fit the bill.  The SP3 has the features I need and not anymore that I would spend hours on rather than using it. 

Jeff

Vipers

« Reply #1562 on: 4 Mar 2012, 07:33 pm »
Hi Folks

Have not seen it yet but word has it the SP-3 got a review in the very prestigious UK magazine 'Home Cinema Choice' and received a 5 Star rating for Sound and Design but only 2 stars for features.

I am OK with that :thumb:

James

I'm looking forward to picking up a copy as soon as it hit's the shelves myself, basically HCC is one of the more respected magazines over here and their reviews carry quite a bit of weight as they are known not to bought by the advertisers, unlike other mags over here that I can mention :roll:

Although it only gives 2 stars for features I'm sure that the article will re-iterate what we all know, it's all about the sound quality, and that is what the SP3 excels at, who needs pointless features anyway.

Here is the add that PMC are running in HCC, we have got a PMC/Bryston open day in a couple of weeks showcasing the SP3 and new PMC twenty range so hopefully the article will bring some extra people in to witness for themselves the wonder of the SP3 :)

JeffO

« Reply #1563 on: 5 Mar 2012, 01:58 am »
James,

The specs in the manual state the high frequency cutoff for all channels is 22 kHz for modes other than bypass.  Does this mean even when feeding 24/96 or higher into a digital input the SP3 is not outputting any signal higher than 22 kHz even though the DACs are 24/192 capable and are outputting a signal up to 86 kHz?  Wouldn't this mean any input high than 24/48 is effectively wasted on the SP3? 

Jeff

SHV

« Reply #1564 on: 5 Mar 2012, 03:06 am »
I think that they are referring to the analog output to the amps.  The usually stated upper limit for human hearing is 20kHz which most children and some adults can hear.  For most of us, however,  high frequency loss begins after age eight years and continues thereafter.  For old people such as myself it is much less.   My cutoff is probably around 13 kHz.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1565 on: 5 Mar 2012, 04:52 am »
James,

The specs in the manual state the high frequency cutoff for all channels is 22 kHz for modes other than bypass.  Does this mean even when feeding 24/96 or higher into a digital input the SP3 is not outputting any signal higher than 22 kHz even though the DACs are 24/192 capable and are outputting a signal up to 86 kHz?  Wouldn't this mean any input high than 24/48 is effectively wasted on the SP3? 

Jeff

Refers to the analog section.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #1566 on: 5 Mar 2012, 05:42 pm »
Refers to the analog section.

James

I see that the frequency response for the BP series preamps is 20Hz to 20kHz.  As well, even the BDA-1 is quoted as having such a frequency response.

If a digital file contains information / frequencies beyond the audible range i.e. above 20kHz and / or below 20 Hz, does the final analogue stage output of the SP3 and the BP series preamps as well as that of the BDA-1 pass that or is it truncated at the 20Hz-20kHz or in the case of the SP3 22kHz range.

The reason I ask is that a number of speakers using the latest in tweeter design technologies output well above 20,000Hz and though this is not in the audible range there has been some arguement that the breakdown of these frequencies within the room do stretch into the audible range and have a positive effect on sonics.

I do note that Bryston amplfiers do have power bandwidth ratings up to 100kHz are the analogue stages in the Bryston preamplifiers and source components not able to utilize this range?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1567 on: 5 Mar 2012, 05:43 pm »
From our British Distributor:

Hi James,

The SP-3 Surround Processor got a REFERENCE AWARD! from a very prestigious UK magazine called 'Home Cinema Choice'.

Congrats.

Keith
PMC

drummermitchell

« Reply #1568 on: 5 Mar 2012, 05:49 pm »
Nice one James,wonder when my AV-8 will bite the dust :dunno:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1569 on: 5 Mar 2012, 07:00 pm »
I will trade you an organ for an SP-3:

« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2012, 08:19 pm by James Tanner »

Vipers

« Reply #1570 on: 5 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »
That's a great intro James :lol: anyone who can bring the Black Knight, one of the greatest comedy scenes of all time, into an introduction regarding the serious subject about one of the best sound processors on the planet is OK with me, I'll pop into the shops tomorrow to pick up a copy, first I'll just check that I've got all my limbs intact :)

[after slicing one of the Black Knight's arms off]
King Arthur: Now stand aside, worthy adversary.
Black Knight: 'Tis but a scratch.
King Arthur: A scratch? Your arm's off.
Black Knight: No it isn't.
King Arthur: What's that, then?
Black Knight: [after a pause] I've had worse.
King Arthur: You liar.
Black Knight: Come on ya pansy.

[King Arthur has just cut the Black Knight's last leg off]
Black Knight: All right, we'll call it a draw.
King Arthur: [Preparing to leave] Come, Patsy.
[King Arthur and Patsy ride off]
Black Knight: [calling after King Arthur] Oh, oh, I see! Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you! I'll bite your legs off!

CLASSIC :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #1571 on: 5 Mar 2012, 11:19 pm »
I suppose I could sacrifice my left N_ _ for the SP-3,don't use it anyway :o, :duh:.
back to you Monty.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1572 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:08 am »
I will trade you an organ for an SP-3:

Hi Folks,

I have a copy in PDF of the complete article if you want a copy - email me at jamestanner@bryston.com 

james

Vipers

« Reply #1573 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:19 pm »
Thanks for e-mailing a copy over to me earlier James, I went to buy a copy today but it isn't out till Thursday, it a pretty stunning review, well worth a read, even if it does imply that the SP3 is quirky and bonkers for a couple of reasons, but the reviewer was spot on saying how amazing the the audio quality is, which is the whole point, I still get surprised by my SP3, just at the overall clarity and musicality really.

Ritchief

« Reply #1574 on: 8 Mar 2012, 08:38 am »
James - Thanks for the HCC review,
Excellent report...Congratulations :thumb: :thumb:

On your behalf, it's a shame that the reviewer ranted on about how difficult the unit is to setup due not having an on screen ability and also the lack of features. :nono:

However, on those two points the flexibility of not having an on screen menu did initially make me hesitate purchasing the unit. It was not until I learnt that the unit provide this facility via your home network (computer, Ipad etc) did I change my mind, which, coincidently the reviewer failed to mention this additional ‘feature’.

With regard to the lack of other features, I used to own the Arcam AV888 which had these additional features and in my view, your ‘lack of features’ certainly out ways the performance of the AV888.

Not wanting to speak for your other customers, but I’m, sure they will agree, I am positive that the reason why we purchase a Bryston unit over your competitors is that the production of  the purist audio sound quality is paramount to your customers and not a mixed bag of features that we would probably not ever use.

Buseto

« Reply #1575 on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:35 am »
Ritchief,

I have an idea of how to connect the SP3 to a PC, but how can one do this to an iPad? I would very much like to know.

I don't think that the SP3 is difficult to setup and to handle - I just find it very easy - after one has an idea of the concept.

But what I would like to see is an App for the iPad/iPhone to operate the SP3. How about it, James?

adprom

« Reply #1576 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:53 am »
In my opinion, for those who are operating systems at this level you are by far getting the best by separating the video and audio processing.

An SP3 for audio processing matched with something like a DVDO iScan Duo for the video side of things is absolutely outstanding. Hell, even a DVDO Edge has video processing that will significantly outperform the surround sound receivers out there.

When an edge is so cheap and so effective, I really don't understand the all in one box approach.

igorelli

« Reply #1577 on: 8 Mar 2012, 11:01 am »
+1 for an iPad app for SP3.

BDP-1 has one, why not the SP3?  :wink:

Thoroughly enjoying my SP3  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1578 on: 8 Mar 2012, 11:28 am »
+1 for an iPad app for SP3.

BDP-1 has one, why not the SP3?  :wink:

Thoroughly enjoying my SP3  :thumb:

Yes I think the iPaD app is a great idea :thumb:

James

Ritchief

« Reply #1579 on: 8 Mar 2012, 01:35 pm »
Yes I think the iPaD app is a great idea :thumb:

James

James, does this mean that you will be actioning this suggestion and develop & release an app ?