SP 3.0?

Alpha10

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1520 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:19 pm »
Hi marius,

If a 5.1 ... I would use a 6B for the center and surrounds with the 28B's. If 7.1 then 6B and 3B.

If a dedicated setup for surround and 5.1 and more efficent speakers a 9B would be fine.  If 7.1 a 4B and a 9B.

james

I like the Powerpacs with the SP3, just a thought..

Cheers

PS or how about the 4B monos  :D

Mag

« Reply #1521 on: 15 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm »
ok James thanks, I thought as much.

All of this translates into what amplifier setup?

Shared -  with the 28b's for left right needs which brystons for the surrounds?
Dedicated - could do with less power? I'd have a room of 25m2. Which amplifier setup would be optimal? 9b, 3b?

I wouldn't be able to afford to many extra 28b's or 14b's (alas, alas) so that could be a reason to settle for a dedicated HT setup with less power?

Thanks,
Marius

Marius

If you are just using multi-channel processor for HT, then you don't need alot of power for center channel,surrounds, side, back, speakers as they are only providing sound effects.

If however you are going to use multi-channel for music as well, then depending on size of speakers used for surrounds, center, sides, back, speakers, will determine what you need for amplification.

With my HT set up which I also use for multi-channel music, I'm using a fairly large center channel and large surround speakers. My 3B-SST, 3B-ST provide sufficient power un-bridged, without clipping at above average spl listening levels.

gdbalp

« Reply #1522 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:02 am »
Hi James,

Just loving my new SP3, only gets better with use...

Question: How do you define an " efficient speaker"?
When you say " efficient speakers" for a 7.1 arrangement
(4B + 9B). 

Also, what is the difference between back surrounds and L/R surrounds for an SP3 setup?  Right now, I have a 5.1 configuration using the L/R surrounds, but if I change it to back surrounds - how does Sp3 handle the music information to these speakers - same as L/R surrounds?   

Ciao,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1523 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:42 am »
Hi James,

Just loving my new SP3, only gets better with use...

Question: How do you define an " efficient speaker"?
When you say " efficient speakers" for a 7.1 arrangement
(4B + 9B). 

Also, what is the difference between back surrounds and L/R surrounds for an SP3 setup?  Right now, I have a 5.1 configuration using the L/R surrounds, but if I change it to back surrounds - how does Sp3 handle the music information to these speakers - same as L/R surrounds?   

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi

Glad you are enjoying your SP-3 :thumb:  A speaker would be considered efficient with a rating around 90 DB.

The Back channels act similarly as the surrounds and are encoded with signals defined by the codex used - DTS -Dolby etc.

James

Mad Max

« Reply #1524 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:45 pm »
Hey there everyone,

Question for James, and my apologies if this has been covered before...

I am interested in replacing my BP26 with an SP3 and building a HT setup. I primarily listen to music through my BDP-1 running through my BDA-1. My question is, will the SP3 eliminate the need for the BDA-1?

Thanks,
Mad Max

Vipers

« Reply #1525 on: 16 Feb 2012, 10:34 pm »
Hey there everyone,

Question for James, and my apologies if this has been covered before...

I am interested in replacing my BP26 with an SP3 and building a HT setup. I primarily listen to music through my BDP-1 running through my BDA-1. My question is, will the SP3 eliminate the need for the BDA-1?

Thanks,
Mad Max

Hi Mad Max, I hope James doesn't mind me butting in, but I've just gone over to the SP3 from a BP26 and use the BDP/BDA combo, a couple of weeks I sat down and spent quite a while doing A/B's to see if I could sell my BDA-1, in a nutshell I found that the BDP-1 definitely performs better through the BDA-1, it's not night and day, but my preferred option was definately with the BDA-1, especially for 24bit.

Saying that, if selling the BDA-1 frees up some funds to make the SP3 purchase possible then that is definitely the way to go as the SP3 is just fantastic processor, but the ideal set up is definitely BDP-1 into BDA-1 into SP3, I'll definitely be keeping my BDA-1, that's for sure :thumb:

Mad Max

« Reply #1526 on: 17 Feb 2012, 01:19 am »
Thanks!  That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be hanging onto the BDA-1.

Cheers,
Mad Max

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1527 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:40 pm »
Hi James

We just installed an SP3 and the customer is ecstatic. 

I was over there today to listen to it and it is a big improvement. 

Thanks

Mike Gruber
American Audiophile Trad.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1528 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Nice feedback on the SP-3 from a customer in the Netherlands!!!

Sent: February-20-12 4:06 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: RE: Bryston SP3

Hi James,

So I got the SP3.

I haven't had the time for an extensive evaluation. That will come later.

Let me just say for the moment that it is a really great AV processor which just sounds amazing when I did a comparison in stereo (digital and analog).

I couldn't hear differences between the two modes, while I am using a quite a highend CD/DVD player (from the German producer Audionet).  As my aim was to get a new processor which can handle the new sound formats and does sound at least as good as the one I had, all is well. (And I wouldn't wonder if the SP3 is even better).

Jürgen

adprom

« Reply #1529 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:46 am »
James,
Just confirming we received a replacement SP3 where the rear channels aren't bridged. The result is fantastic (although it was before). Interestingly out of the box there was no doubt it was somewhat bright directly compared to the SP3 that had been running for a few months. No doubt after some time for the silicon to warm up that the response will settle.

Cheers,
Adam

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1530 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:29 pm »
Sent: February-22-12 8:23 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP3 Feedback

James,

I just wanted to thank you for the great followup and support that you've been able to give me since I received the SP3 a few months back. 

I recently had a Lord of the Rings marathon (watching all 3 extended edition movies back to back for 13 hours) and I couldn't believe the difference between the sound from the SP3 and the SP2 that it replaced.   Simply amazing.   I had people over watching who were able to pick out specific sounds in the background information with a new clarity that had not been there before. They were very impressed.

In particular, the bass is much more clean and pronounced now that I've tweaked my system.  Also, the soundstage during 2-channel playback is amazing.   I am having a hard time pulling myself away to get work done around the house.

Thank you for producing such a great product and standing behind it with respect to firmware updates to continuously improve.

Thanks,
Michael

Alpha10

« Reply #1531 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:30 pm »
I didn't want to clutter up this thread, but I have put a few photos of my SP3 (with the famous Blue LEDs and display) in an album, if you click on my gallery.

Enjoy

Vipers

« Reply #1532 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:13 pm »
I didn't want to clutter up this thread, but I have put a few photos of my SP3 (with the famous Blue LEDs and display) in an album, if you click on my gallery.

Enjoy

As I've already said over the pond, it's amazing how quick you change continents nowadays :) awesome setup alpha :thumb: I can't believe how right the Blue LED's look, James, is it possible to change over from green to blue led's in a 100% Bryston System, ie, BCD-1,BDA-1, BDP-1, 7B's? Something PMC could do possibly?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1533 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:34 pm »
As I've already said over the pond, it's amazing how quick you change continents nowadays :) awesome setup alpha :thumb: I can't believe how right the Blue LED's look, James, is it possible to change over from green to blue led's in a 100% Bryston System, ie, BCD-1,BDA-1, BDP-1, 7B's? Something PMC could do possibly?

Hi Vipers,

Can't be done as the displays and all the light pipes would have to be changed - huge job.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #1534 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:45 pm »

Sounds like you'd be better off selling the whole kitten-kaboodle and ordering all new with blue lights - lower cost.  Either way, you'll need to live without that Bryston gear for a little while.  Perhaps in doing that you could trade up to the 28's???

Vipers

« Reply #1535 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:54 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Can't be done as the displays and all the light pipes would have to be changed - huge job.

james

Thanks James, I thought as much, looks like I'll live with the green then, shouldn't moan really :roll:

Vipers

« Reply #1536 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:55 pm »
Perhaps in doing that you could trade up to the 28's???

Now you are talking, the 7B's are the only part of my system that I'd love to upgrade one day.

saveloy

« Reply #1537 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:00 pm »
Vipers,

You most likely are aware, but for those going to the Bristol Show this weekend....

PMC speakers will appear in 6 separate rooms this year.  And Bryston in 3 I believe. 
And What Hi-Fi Magazine has an AV room consisting of PMC /Bryston electronics in a 7.1 system.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1538 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:18 pm »
Thanks James, I thought as much, looks like I'll live with the green then, shouldn't moan really :roll:

We have found the green light version sounds better  :P

james

BrysTony

« Reply #1539 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:24 pm »
We have found the green light version sounds better  :P

james

Makes sense.  Just like the green pen marker made CDs sound better.  :lol:

Tony